PDA

View Full Version : VIX update - upgrade with telnet or putty

speed007
02-12-10, 17:15
Hi
This may be a common knowledge but as I come from linux background and used to Ubuntu apt-get command I found two simple command to update your installed image from eather windows telnet or putty telnet or any other program you use to telnet,
just telnet to box then log in with root as username and any password you have setup and if you have not setup the password then use passwd command to setup/update password,
now once you have logged in to your box from your pc/laptop you need to type at prompt: "ipkg update" without quotes then press enter then once it does its thing then again at command prompt type: "ipkg upgrade" this will auto update all of you plugins and your image from the net, once its done you can close your telnet and you have latest updated image!
If I am missing anything or this has already been discussed then please forgive the newbie! ;);)

andyblac
02-12-10, 18:59
Hi
This may be a common knowledge but as I come from linux background and used to Ubuntu apt-get command I found two simple command to update your installed image from eather windows telnet or putty telnet or any other program you use to telnet,
just telnet to box then log in with root as username and any password you have setup and if you have not setup the password then use passwd command to setup/update password,
now once you have logged in to your box from your pc/laptop you need to type at prompt: "ipkg update" without quotes then press enter then once it does its thing then again at command prompt type: "ipkg upgrade" this will auto update all of you plugins and your image from the net, once its done you can close your telnet and you have latest updated image!
If I am missing anything or this has already been discussed then please forgive the newbie! ;);)

actualy it is opkg ..... not ipkg, the ipkg is just a symlink to opkg, ipkg is from oe1.5. we all got used to it so a symlink was created, just a bit of useless info :D,

pooface
02-12-10, 19:02
Also, you will only have updated image when you restart ;-)

Sent by my phone