PDA

View Full Version : vu xbmc preview test

Ev0
14-12-14, 14:45
Looks like animations and xbmc coming soon for SoloSE, Solo2 and Duo2 :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30MSiw216W4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1JKxGifjtw

Larry-G
14-12-14, 14:57
Looks like the beginning of the end for the lower end Vu+ models then, although personally XBMC is not really of any particular interest to me.

TK4|2|1
14-12-14, 15:48
Cool

Sent by pressing the screen on 1 of my Apple devices, cuz that's how I roll..

duoduo
14-12-14, 18:13
For me this is brilliant, so anyone know when and how it will be available or how to find out?

Trial
14-12-14, 19:18
Hi,
personally I do not care about this animations nobody really needs. They should leave it it DMM to make such a nonsense. They should improve the streaming abilities.

ciao

Larry-G
14-12-14, 19:26
Hi,
personally I do not care about this animations nobody really needs. They should leave it it DMM to make such a nonsense. They should improve the streaming abilities.

ciao

Could not agree more, enough of the gimmicks and give us genuine features.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

s2tephen
14-12-14, 20:17
Think this is a brilliant idea.
Being able to do most things under one umbrella should have been done a long time ago.
But can see certain people at the top of a very slippery slide not thinking so.

Joe_90
15-12-14, 01:29
I've used xbmc (now kodi) for about two years now. I find it excellent as a music/video database and in the past 9 months or so it plays all formats of high definition sound on the linux platform (something I can't say of Vix or any of the Open MIPS/ATV images). However, I found that xbmc sucked at sat/terrestrial TV and PVR functions on the linux platform. It would be an ideal solution for me if I could combine my media player requirements and PVR into one platform.

Rob van der Does
15-12-14, 05:49
personally I do not care about this animations nobody really needs. They should leave it it DMM to make such a nonsense.
Exactly; it's all about superfluous nonsense. I wouldn't allow a box in my house with all kind of fun fair 'attractions'.

Being able to do most things under one umbrella should have been done a long time ago.
What do you mean by that?

I've used xbmc (now kodi) for about two years now. I find it excellent as a music/video database and in the past 9 months or so it plays all formats of high definition sound on the linux platform (something I can't say of Vix or any of the Open MIPS/ATV images).
LOL that has nothing to do with an image, but with the hardware. There is no way that video-codecs can be added to the limited hardware capabilities our STB's can offer.

However, I found that xbmc sucked at sat/terrestrial TV and PVR functions on the linux platform.
And that's exactly the point. After all a (satellite) receiver is there for (satellite) reception, and Enigma2 is a very versatile program that (so far) hasn't bene beaten by any other.

It would be an ideal solution for me if I could combine my media player requirements and PVR into one platform.
That can/could indeed be done. Only thing you need is a full blown PC to run e.g. E2 instead of the actual STB's. Downside is a 20 times higher power consumption..... It makes quite a difference running a PC 24/7 or an STB; the latter uses overall only 20W.

Actually best option IMHO is still an E2 box as receiver and a dedicated mediaplayer for playing all kinds of media.

Or even better: stop trying to play all kinds of badly coded files 'found' on the internet. As our STB's are perfectly capable of playing correctly coded files.

Rob van der Does
15-12-14, 06:12
BTW: I have no idea were the title "vu xbmc preview test" stems from; this has nothing whatsoever to do with XMBC, it's just about (horrible) menu animations.

Trial
15-12-14, 09:32
Hi Rob,
put your glasses on and take a second look at the videos:-)

In 1. video you see xbmc launcher and 2. video shows cover flow of xbmc and I asume it is perhaps on a VU.

XBMC is a nice start but without bluray-/dvd-iso (best would be with menu), HD sound and WMV<9 it is no replacement of a real PC/mediaplayer.

ciao

Rob van der Does
15-12-14, 10:22
See

http://www.opena.tv/plauderecke/12154-vuplus-xbmc-opengl-preview-infos-post107312.html#post107312
for some more information.

Trial
15-12-14, 11:03
Hi,
nothing really interesting in this German thread. The changes to XBMC for the "bcm gles api" will most likely be closed source. No ETA yet:-(

ciao

Joe_90
15-12-14, 12:41
I browsed through the xbmc (kodi) forum last night and no serious development seems to be being done for the Broadcom STB platform although there are a number of users trying compiles etc. Any candidates will likely come from higher end STBs with dual core 1.3GHz and > 1GB RAM. Drivers likely to be an issue also. Timeframes uncertain.

kiwiz
15-12-14, 18:10
so this is not available for vu ultimo or vu uno right

from where did you get that info

Rob van der Does
15-12-14, 18:30
To early to tell.

garyblas
15-12-14, 20:06
TSMedia does exactly the same and uses same feeds as XBMC

Trial
15-12-14, 20:49
Hi garyblas,
did you ever use XBMC? XBMC is a complete different league and it is not only a streaming client but also a media database with quite good working scrapers.

ciao

Rob van der Does
15-12-14, 20:50
Running TS-Media as plugin is something different from running XMBC as main application.

garyblas
15-12-14, 21:15
Same desired effect. Movies series iptv. Etc. and now loads a file to feeds called Xbmc
Prob not as good as true Xbmc but good enough for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ev0
30-12-14, 11:57
VTI have released beta images for the Solo2, Duo2 and SoloSE with OpenGL support, animations and xbmc.

It's also possible there will be a BH beta image out later today for anyone interested in this.

duoduo
30-12-14, 12:08
Yes BH version out today, got the email yesterday. Question is now, will this be coming to Vix anytime soon? I'm sure there will be a huge demand for it...

rossi2000
30-12-14, 12:22
yes it will as soon as its been tested.

rossi2000
30-12-14, 12:25
there is a reason BH and vti have only beta image with it as i believe its not in a fully functional state.

but theres no harm in flashing BH/VTi to give it a try though :)

duoduo
30-12-14, 12:32
I'd rather not, more than happy to wait for the ViX version.

foz
31-12-14, 10:48
this is great news and hopefully a great new years present
Xbmc integrated into my solo2 is music to my ears
this receiver just keeps giving
looking forward to testing this
thanks vix
foz

Rob van der Does
31-12-14, 11:15
Are you sure? I tested the VTi version, and XMBC turns out to be just a plugin, that doesn't support the tuners, so it can only be used as mediaplayer; what's the point of that?

rossi2000
31-12-14, 11:21
to have a nice interface to playback media from your box id guess. just like dreamplex.

i dont think anywhere it was noted it was going to be accessing tuners, i guess you got mixed up with the xbmc for mutant which is different.

irishchris
31-12-14, 11:21
Are you sure? I tested the VTi version, and XMBC turns out to be just a plugin, that doesn't support the tuners, so it can only be used as mediaplayer; what's the point of that?
Looking forward to it myself purely for the media player aspect. If anything like the pc/android version then I will be happy.

Rob van der Does
31-12-14, 11:50
to have a nice interface to playback media from your box id guess. just like dreamplex.

i dont think anywhere it was noted it was going to be accessing tuners, i guess you got mixed up with the xbmc for mutant which is different.
Nope, nothing mixed up; I was curious if this would be 'real XMBC', but lacking the interface to the frontend makes it quite useless IMHO.
Just a mediaplayer-GUI; I can't imagine a team spending effort on that?

irishchris
31-12-14, 11:52
Well even at that I'm delighted the teams have and I think this is justified by the expectations and wishes of the image users who are requesting it

Rob van der Does
31-12-14, 12:00
That is why I'm wondering why people would use this plugin, as dedicated and fine working mediaplayer are available.
Imagine you're watching TV and want to watch a recording. Now instead of going to the movielist you go to applications, activate the XMBC-launcher, go to the desired functionality and do what you want to do. From now on you have no longer access to the box's e2-functionality (such as timers/EPG/TV), so if you want to you need to stop the playback, navigate to exit-XMBC and do what you want to do in E2.
If, what I really expect in a system like XMBC, the frontend (tuners) would be supported, it would be a complete different story: then all PVR & mediaplayer functionality vould be done in XBMC.

So again my question: what's the 'nice' thing about this limited XMBC plugin?

Rob van der Does
31-12-14, 12:56
Correct: VU only supports this on the Solo2, DUO2 and Solo SE.

Rob van der Does
31-12-14, 12:58
Nope, nothing mixed up; I was curious if this would be 'real XMBC', but lacking the interface to the frontend makes it quite useless IMHO.
Just a mediaplayer-GUI; I can't imagine a team spending effort on that?
The same as on the Sparks 2 (Android) satellite receiver. So the same huge limitation.

irishchris
31-12-14, 13:03
Looking forward to seeing it added. Seems big demand for it. Obviously not to everyone's taste and that's fine. But any image progress is good and to be welcomed

Rob van der Does
31-12-14, 13:08
LOL, you read the workflow I wrote above? You think people are actually going to use it?

irishchris
31-12-14, 13:13
Going give you a simple answer here rob - - Yes.
Don't see the point in trying to slate a feature and what people have spent long hours developing. I understand you don't like it and that's fine. But many others will. Personally think e2 has been crying out for a decent gui for local media like this for years. Remember it is only in beta yet Rob and will only improve over time

LOL, you read the workflow I wrote above? You think people are actually going to use it?

Rob van der Does
31-12-14, 13:20
It's not about what I like or dislike. I'm trying to get a feeling for what people would want.
And of course everybody uses a system in a different way.

And yes, it is beta. But as there is no sign about the real difficult part, the support of the tuners, I have my doubts if that will ever come. Of course that's only guessing from my side.

irishchris
31-12-14, 13:25
It's not about what I like or dislike. I'm trying to get a feeling for what people would want.
And of course everybody uses a system in a different way.

And yes, it is beta. But as there is no sign about the real difficult part, the support of the tuners, I have my doubts if that will ever come. Of course that's only guessing from my side.
The tuner support is of little importance to me but again everyone has a different opinion. As long as it can be used as a decent media player add on I'm happy

foz
31-12-14, 14:37
people will use it mainly for streaming movies tvshows & live sports rob not playing there own content like plex
you can use the tuners if the pvr clients are built in although I wouldn't what's the point?
its ok to use the pvr clients on a tv box to utilise the two boxes but I see this as 1 box does all
foz

Rob van der Does
31-12-14, 15:12
I don't know if you tried it already, but do you know how long it takes to exit the XMBC plugin and to revert to live-TV (or whatever).

That really is my main concern. Using the XMBC now you get the look & feel as if you're using a complete system. But it isn't.
And yes, I agree: having one integrated interface for all mediaplayer functionality is nice. But IMHO it comes at a high price.

But maybe I'm wrong, and maybe VU is actually working on the PVR-end of XMBC. If that would be true, the story would be completely different. Then you would have a real choice between Enigma2 (which is now killed when entering XMBC, I'm not even sure if planned recordings will take place) and XMBC; that would be an interesting development, a real users choice.

irishchris
31-12-14, 15:19
I don't know if you tried it already, but do you know how long it takes to exit the XMBC plugin and to revert to live-TV (or whatever).

That really is my main concern. Using the XMBC now you get the look & feel as if you're using a complete system. But it isn't.
And yes, I agree: having one integrated interface for all mediaplayer functionality is nice. But IMHO it comes at a high price.

But maybe I'm wrong, and maybe VU is actually working on the PVR-end of XMBC. If that would be true, the story would be completely different. Then you would have a real choice between Enigma2 (which is now killed when entering XMBC, I'm not even sure if planned recordings will take place) and XMBC; that would be an interesting development, a real users choice.
Just in the process of flashing VTi beta to my duo 2 to test. The main worry from what you describe rob would be if e2 was completely killed and planned recordings did not take place in background. I agree that would be pointless then. But if that wasn't the case then I would be happy to have it on my system.

Rob van der Does
31-12-14, 15:23
I didn't really check that; after a short test I was so disappointed that I reverted to ViX right away :)
But on the VTi forum it was described as such.
What I did notice, was that during the time that XMBC was active there was neither FTP nor telnet.

foz
31-12-14, 16:22
I agree if its killing any set recordings it does seem pointless, however its in very early stages yet and I hope this would be address with further development if indeed it does

Larry-G
31-12-14, 16:37
My own opinion would be to develop XBMC as a standalone OS alternative to E2 instead of a plugin. But that's just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Sicilian
31-12-14, 17:07
My own opinion would be to develop X BMW as a standalone OS alternative to E2 instead of a plugin. But that's just my opinion.

I dont see why VU+ dont try to port the Prism Cube OS to the VU+ models.

Larry-G
31-12-14, 17:09
I dont see why VU+ dont try to port the Prism Cube OS to the VU+ models.
Yes that would be the way I would like to see development heading. Developing a proper XBMC port for Mips instead of another XBMC themed plugin.

Sicilian
31-12-14, 17:17
For me the ideal XBMC OS would be a port of the Prismcube OS that could run E2 plugins as well as E2 does, whether or not that ever happens we'll have to wait and see...

Trial
31-12-14, 18:06
Hi Rob,
XBMC is not only the nice looking media player. I agree there media player are not so bad in E2 but the charme of XBMC is the same as Enigma2. XBMC lives mainly because of thousands of plugins and there especially the scraper to get additional information and artwork for films and music. XBMC on a PC has its own ftp and telnet/ssh server perhaps you must activate them in XBMC.

@Sic
this would be also my dream XBMC with live TV and compatible also with E2 plugins. But I think this will never happen. I think we will not see PrismCube-OS on VU because VU is Mips and PrismCube is ARM afaik.

ciao

gerrykiddy
31-12-14, 19:12
We are often reminded about how much fun this hobby is and for those of us who don't share this hobby with our kids or other halves and have total control of the remote it is. Is odd to hear negativity about what appears to be some hard work to get this plug in to beta stage. I would like to have a usable music player in my vix setup but YAMP doesn't work and Merlin/Idream is not very good so maybe this plug in will give some plus's and i will accept the minus's ( I am sure that sounds as odd as it looks). But whatever happens it will only enhance the enjoyment of my hobby

Ev0
31-12-14, 20:02

Using BH beta on Duo2, it takes approx 4 - 5 seconds to exit xbmc plugin back to E2 (it is only the first time you launch xbmc that it takes a while to exit, as it is storing files on hdd in the background).

I set a recording, and then launched into xbmc, played a couple of video streams, and then exited back into E2, and played back the recording, and it was just fine.

I didn't really check that; after a short test I was so disappointed that I reverted to ViX right away :)
But on the VTi forum it was described as such.
What I did notice, was that during the time that XMBC was active there was neither FTP nor telnet.

Both FTP and Telnet fully working when using XBMC or E2

irishchris
01-01-15, 02:23
Spent couple of hours trialing this out and impressed so far. Nothing like the xbmc plugins we have seen in the last year or so. In effect this is a near full xbmc. Scrapers work very effectively and after first run applies artwork to all of your recordings & movies. Weather etc work perfect. Addons I have tried have installed perfectly and streams work fine from these add-ons. The only main flaw I have had so far is the music player getting stuck but on restarting xbmc everything works fine. To exit xbmc takes approx 20 secs the first time and only about 2 seconds every time after that. Ftp and telnet both work fine as described previously and if you wish to add repositories etc you just Ftp them to the xbmc folder which gets created in your hdd. All in all for a beta this is excellent.

Jules
02-01-15, 11:30
I have VU+ Solo and VU+ Duo, will there be a plugin for these please?

rossi2000
02-01-15, 11:33
nope, its only for the latest vu machines, solose, solo2 and duo2.

finbarr
02-01-15, 12:48
I use XBMC on a Raspberry Pi in a different room. I installed the VU Player addon to stream on the LAN from the Duo2.

I could install that same addon on Vu XBMC, point it to localhost (presuming E2 is still running) and then use xbmc for everything.

CPU will be running hotter then, I guess, since hardware graphics acceleration, won't be happening within xbmc on Vu?

foz
02-01-15, 19:59
did I see something about vixbmc in the latest updated?
I missed it as I pressed update while I was talking on phone (typical)
I cant see anything in plugins or in the image was I mistaken?
thanks

Larry-G
02-01-15, 20:07
did I see something about vixbmc in the latest updated?
I missed it as I pressed update while I was talking on phone (typical)
I cant see anything in plugins or in the image was I mistaken?
thanks

No you have not missed any thing, we have our own Vu+ XBMC builds but we have chosen not to release them yet as we are testing them our selves to ensure stability rather than recklessly putting out random beta's just for bragging rites of being the first.

jacquesy90
02-01-15, 21:33
No you have not missed any thing, we have our own Vu+ XBMC builds but we have chosen not to release them yet as we are testing them our selves to ensure stability rather than recklessly putting out random beta's just for bragging rites of being the first.

hahaha great post.

I had to have a go just to see what it was like, the image made me feel sick tho.

Vix with xbmc will be the dogs ********, do you have a rough idea when it will be released?

Larry-G
02-01-15, 21:36
hahaha great post.

I had to have a go just to see what it was like, the image made me feel sick tho.

Vix with xbmc will be the dogs ********, do you have a rough idea when it will be released?

yeah when I loaded the ViX version I had to change the graphics, the default ones where the menu swishes to the right was making me sea sick. sorry we dont give out ETA's.

foz
03-01-15, 10:04
if you require a beta tester please let me know
happy to help
(I have a playlist on istream)
foz

skippie
03-01-15, 10:27
We are often reminded about how much fun this hobby is and for those of us who don't share this hobby with our kids or other halves and have total control of the remote it is. Is odd to hear negativity about what appears to be some hard work to get this plug in to beta stage. I would like to have a usable music player in my vix setup but YAMP doesn't work and Merlin/Idream is not very good so maybe this plug in will give some plus's and i will accept the minus's ( I am sure that sounds as odd as it looks). But whatever happens it will only enhance the enjoyment of my hobby

i agree +1

mr_foj
03-01-15, 13:41
hi
so when can i get Xbmc on vix image

Larry-G
03-01-15, 13:49
When we are ready to release it, we dont give ETA's.

tomthebomb1968
03-01-15, 15:03
Hi guys I have xbmc running on pc, raspberry pi and a couple of Android boxes, an M8 and a minix neo x8h. I have a zip file that installs the droidsticks updater so that everything is always up to date. Works good on all the other formats but once I install it on the duo 2 and then run it it stops around 54%. I don't have a hard drive installed but use my synology nas for recording to. I have a 16gig usb stick used for epg, picons etc. Is the xbmc plugin trying to install the droidsticks addons in flash a day running outta memory? Can I tell it to store on the USB stick? Didn't see any options to.

Used the blackhole 2.14 beta for my trial just to test the xbmc and to be honest it works well but like the way my vix works for all other features so my backed up 115 is back on the box for now, will use my other alternatives till vix xbmc image is released.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

duoduo
03-01-15, 16:49
Hi guys I have xbmc running on pc, raspberry pi and a couple of Android boxes, an M8 and a minix neo x8h. I have a zip file that installs the droidsticks updater so that everything is always up to date. Works good on all the other formats but once I install it on the duo 2 and then run it it stops around 54%. I don't have a hard drive installed but use my synology nas for recording to. I have a 16gig usb stick used for epg, picons etc. Is the xbmc plugin trying to install the droidsticks addons in flash a day running outta memory? Can I tell it to store on the USB stick? Didn't see any options to.

Used the blackhole 2.14 beta for my trial just to test the xbmc and to be honest it works well but like the way my vix works for all other features so my backed up 115 is back on the box for now, will use my other alternatives till vix xbmc image is released.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Where did you get the droidsticks updater from fella? Been thinking about installing this on my Ouya but not come across a free version.

tomthebomb1968
03-01-15, 19:30
Where did you get the droidsticks updater from fella? Been thinking about installing this on my Ouya but not come across a free version.

I picked up an m8 box sechond hand that had it on so thought id try and find the zip and try it on the other versions. Cant remember where i actually downloaded it from pal. It wont be to everyones tastes some may even consider it bloatware but does what i want on all my boxes.

foz
04-01-15, 12:08
@ tomthebomb I suspect the installer has not been changed to work across all platforms just has android locations
you will need to open it up and change the android locations to either special://profile/ or special://home/ depending where you need to point to
then you will be able to use it across all platforms
if you need any help let me know
foz

ps anyone wanting a quick and easy setup can install the total installer and then use a community build, at the moment there are 7 to choose from, try them all :thumbsup:

stewartie4
13-01-15, 03:42
At the minute I have an android box that sits on top of my solo2. having xbmc BUILT IN would be unbelievable, especially as the PVR functionality is coming on leaps and bounds (imagine switching tuners and everything to XBMC that would be amazing!)
however I refuse to switch to blackhole because it wouldn't be worth sacrificing everything Vix does better, therefore I have a question : is there a way to install this onto vix (with an ipk file or something) and if vix is doing their own version is it possible to get on a beta test list?
Thanks!

Rob van der Does
13-01-15, 07:50
We are still in the process of testing VU's xMBc. And indeed as a plugin.
What has not been established by VU is the PVR-functionality; so XMBC is a bit crippled IMHO. But who knows what the future will bring us?

duoduo
13-01-15, 08:33
@ tomthebomb I suspect the installer has not been changed to work across all platforms just has android locations
you will need to open it up and change the android locations to either special://profile/ or special://home/ depending where you need to point to
then you will be able to use it across all platforms
if you need any help let me know
foz

ps anyone wanting a quick and easy setup can install the total installer and then use a community build, at the moment there are 7 to choose from, try them all :thumbsup:

Thanks Foz, I highly recommend the Houdin24 builds, awesome..

Trial
13-01-15, 08:53
Hi Rob,
XBMC is not crippled because of missing PVR functionality as it was not build in at all 2 years ago. It was meant only as a media player. I think sooner or later an addon will appear to add this funcionality.

ciao

Rob van der Does
13-01-15, 09:03
XBMC is not crippled because of missing PVR functionality as it was not build in at all 2 years ago.
IMHO important functionality that doesn't work means it's crippled.
Let's say we have a different opinion on this.

I think sooner or later an addon will appear to add this funcionality.
I really hope so; that would really make XMBC complete.

rossi2000
13-01-15, 11:07
XBMC on vu doenst really need pvr functionality.

Rob van der Does
13-01-15, 12:15
As I said: different opinions. IMHO when the function 'TV' doesn't work XMBC is crippled.

Ev0
13-01-15, 12:18
As I said: different opinions. IMHO when the function 'TV' doesn't work XMBC is crippled.

Am I being thick here ?

But why do you need the TV function when XBMC is running on an E2 satellite receiver ?

Surely you use the very function E2 is great at, for watching TV and then use XBMC for the function that it is very good at (being a media player), and as both are running from 1 box, within 1 OS you have the best of both worlds ?

Rob van der Does
13-01-15, 12:25
In E2 all is combined, and you can switch from one functionality to another (such as live TV at the end of playback, TV-epg and setting timers during playback etc etc).
When using XMBC you only have a mediaplayer; so no integration with other (TV) functionality at all. Even the large announced 'TV' does nothing but complaining about a missing plugin. In other words: for any TV related stuff you have to exit XMBC, do what you want to do and open XMBC again.

For me going from an all-in-one integrated system to two separate systems feels like going back in time.

rossi2000
13-01-15, 12:26
Lol yes exactly.

rossi2000
13-01-15, 12:27
Maybe vu should just blank out the tv section so its not crippled :fart2:

Rob van der Does
13-01-15, 12:47
Maybe vu should just blank out the tv section so its not crippled :fart2:
That's the least that should be done. But that doesn't change the not-integrated mediaplayer.

I really can't see any added value of a separate player over the in E2 integrated one, but it looks like I'm the only one.

rossi2000
13-01-15, 12:54
xbmc far outweighs what is currently in E2.

Trial
13-01-15, 13:11
Hi,
why is XBMC missing a build in mediaplayer? XBMC is only a mediaplayer.

btw. why not change a good mediaplayer for a better mediaplayer? In XBMC there are database and scraper for internet information included in a form no E2-mediaplayer has to offer.

Ralf

Rob van der Does
13-01-15, 14:37
why is XBMC missing a build in mediaplayer?
No idea. Does it miss one :confused:

city
13-01-15, 14:42
It would be cool to have the Kodi / XBMC option something we do not currently enjoy. Thats my ten cents worth........:thumbsup:

stewartie4
13-01-15, 15:11
In E2 all is combined, and you can switch from one functionality to another (such as live TV at the end of playback, TV-epg and setting timers during playback etc etc).
When using XMBC you only have a mediaplayer; so no integration with other (TV) functionality at all. Even the large announced 'TV' does nothing but complaining about a missing plugin. In other words: for any TV related stuff you have to exit XMBC, do what you want to do and open XMBC again.

For me going from an all-in-one integrated system to two separate systems feels like going back in time.

you could get XBMC PVR working by installing the vu+ PVR plugin http://kodi.wiki/view/VUPlus and setting the host to localhost I would imagine, by default XBMC complains about a missing plugin as there are a lot of STB and it doesn't know which one you're after. As for the TV button doing nothing, download another skin that allows customization such as refocus, XBMC's #1 selling point is it's media centre capabilities, eg. it will download coverart, fanart, metadata etc. from your library by itself, it can be extended by plugins and is skinnable. the lack of an amazing PVR option at the minute doesn't cripple it because that is just a small feature on the side and not what it's main purpose is. I think I'll flash Black Hole now just to test XBMC out and post back with what's there and not there

judge
13-01-15, 15:44
you could get XBMC PVR working by installing the vu+ PVR plugin

Doesn't currently work.

Rob van der Does
13-01-15, 16:36
you could get XBMC PVR working by installing the vu+ PVR plugin http://kodi.wiki/view/VUPlus ....
If only that were true....

linsladeboy
30-01-15, 10:45
Can't understand all the excitement with XBMC/KODI, find it totally frustrating!
I bought stand alone android receiver last week (DROIDBOX) with a multitude of add ons preinstalled, mainly for watching movies.
Most add ons or links within them don't work, "script failed or "working" error message galore. When I did eventually find something to watch in HD, I got constant buffering and I have 100MB Broadband:eek:
In my opinion, most of XBMC popular add on servers are now overloaded, trying to watch an HD film on a Saturday night is a waste of time. I sent receiver back in the end for a refund.
I now tend to download from my XBMC windows version on my pc( Sunday morning is a good time, while the yanks are still tucked in bed) and watch at my leisure, much more relaxing!!!

Trial
30-01-15, 12:31
Hi,
streaming is only a small part of XBMC/Kodi. Main intention was to get a decent media player for local files which scrapes additional information from the internet. What your main intention seems to be is in some contries questionable or even not allowed. You cannot judge XBMC/Kodi by that.

If you have some local videos/music let XBMC do itīs magic and be surprised how nice it can be with additional infos for video, music title, music album, artist and so on.

ciao

Chris205gti
30-01-15, 15:54
Can't understand all the excitement with XBMC/KODI, find it totally frustrating!
I bought stand alone android receiver last week (DROIDBOX) with a multitude of add ons preinstalled, mainly for watching movies.
Most add ons or links within them don't work, "script failed or "working" error message galore. When I did eventually find something to watch in HD, I got constant buffering and I have 100MB Broadband:eek:
In my opinion, most of XBMC popular add on servers are now overloaded, trying to watch an HD film on a Saturday night is a waste of time. I sent receiver back in the end for a refund.
I now tend to download from my XBMC windows version on my pc( Sunday morning is a good time, while the yanks are still tucked in bed) and watch at my leisure, much more relaxing!!!

I understand what your after, I used XBMC for years for the sole purpose of movies, I now use a Now TV box with Plex and pay a small sub to someone who shares there Library, works flawless and definitely worth the small premium.

DaMacFunkin
30-01-15, 19:27
No dts HD on plex though...

duoduo
30-01-15, 20:10
Not sure what dts stands for but definitely get HD, even 3d on plex

rossi2000
30-01-15, 20:15
dts hd is an audio format

there is no dts-hd on xbmc for vu either.

Trial
30-01-15, 21:33
Hi,
to be fair. There is also no DTS-HD or True-HD on E2 for VU. Do not blame XBMC for that:-)

ciao

rossi2000
30-01-15, 23:06
ye sorry, thats what i meant :)