PDA

View Full Version : Tune failed message keeps appearing.

Martincape
13-12-14, 23:16
Hi guys,

I keep getting the tune failed message at least once a day, and it takes ages for it to come back on. It's like the satellite dish has fell off the wall, or the power to the lnb has been cut off.

Im using Apollo 88 and I can't understand why this is happening. Any suggestions?

Martincape
13-12-14, 23:54
It's been off for ages now. Can't get it back on.

satmanbasil
14-12-14, 00:53
if you have a spare receiver or borrow one check that your lnb is ok this time of year with cold wet weather you can get water ingress in the cable if the boot seal has gone if the test shows the lnb to be ok then you need to look at your satellite xml file could be changes in some transponders that result in channels moving or could even be in some cases channels no longer available or not broadcasting at the time your checking.
Via the menu download a latest settings list

Andy_Hazza
14-12-14, 10:52
Check your cabling and connections, most likely an issue with that.

Martincape
14-12-14, 11:11
Cheers guys.

We have had some strong wind and storm weather recently. We don't have another receiver to check either. Is there a way to visually check the cables on the dish? Or if the lnb is knackered? I can only assume the cable ends in the house are sound.

Larry-G
14-12-14, 11:18
Never assume, check the cables are physically ok, remove and refit the f-plugs is needed just to be sure. It is also possible that your dish has been knocked slightly out of line by the strong winds too.

Martincape
14-12-14, 11:41
I've had the box switched off all night. Switched it on now just to check. And it's fine.

SNR 94
AGC 82

How can I have an intermittent problem?

twol
14-12-14, 11:42
Until I had to personally set up my own dishes, I never realised how easy it is to lose a signal, even on a strong beam like 28.2 in the UK...... Setting up my 1.5M dish, I literally finger tap it to get it onto the best signal.... Too hard and you can be lose some channels even though you are still receiving on say 28.2.

So a strong windcan easily move your dish if not firmly fixed.

twol
14-12-14, 11:46
I've had the box switched off all night. Switched it on now just to check. And it's fine.

SNR 94
AGC 82

How can I have an intermittent problem?
Unfortunately very easily if you have moisture getting into the connections..... Which with strong winds is quite viable if the connectors are not sealed with tape or covered.

Martincape
14-12-14, 11:48
I'll have a look once it stops raining. Is it worthwhile, snipping an inch off the coax, reapplying the f connectors then taping up and reconnecting to lnb?

Larry-G
14-12-14, 11:55
Until I had to personally set up my own dishes, I never realised how easy it is to lose a signal, even on a strong beam like 28.2 in the UK...... Setting up my 1.5M dish, I literally finger tap it to get it onto the best signal.... Too hard and you can be lose some channels even though you are still receiving on say 28.2.

So a strong windcan easily move your dish if not firmly fixed.

And it gets harder and harder to align the bigger the dish you use, I used to have a 3 meter dish in my garden (going back 20 years) and a few millimeters was all it took to knock that out of whack.

I'll have a look once it stops raining. Is it worthwhile, snipping an inch off the coax, reapplying the f connectors then taping up and reconnecting to lnb?

It certainly wont hurt to try.

rossi2000
14-12-14, 12:06
maybe try some compression-f's, ive never been a fan of the screw on types.

Martincape
14-12-14, 13:21
Never heard of them. I'll have a look.

Martincape
14-12-14, 13:56
It's just gone again. Half hour before the match kicks off!!!

Martincape
14-12-14, 13:57
Oops. Stupid tapa talk. Wrong thread lol

Martincape
14-12-14, 13:58
It's just gone again. Half hour before the match kicks off!

Larry-G
14-12-14, 14:01
It's just gone again. Half hour before the match kicks off!!!

Oops. Stupid tapa talk. Wrong thread lol

I have merged them for you.

I dont know what the weather is like for you but here in Durham it has gotten very windy in the last hour or so, so if your dish is misaligned or being battered by the wind it could account for your issue.

Rob van der Does
14-12-14, 14:10
And it gets harder and harder to align the bigger the dish you use, I used to have a 3 meter dish in my garden (going back 20 years) and a few millimeters was all it took to knock that out of whack.
Exactly; the larger the dish, the smaller the angle.
A small (camping) dish is quite easy to align.

Martincape
14-12-14, 14:15
Windy ish. But nothing major. Can't get outside to have a look either. Only me and my larl fella in the house.

Martincape
14-12-14, 14:23
Try and figure this out.

I had a 3rd spare coax running in the room but not being used. Running from same lnb as the other 2. It was coiled up not being used. So I uncoiled it and plugged it in one of the tuners. Instantly got picture again. And both tuners are showing signal.

What's going on?

Larry-G
14-12-14, 14:26
Try and figure this out.

I had a 3rd spare coax running in the room but not being used. Running from same lnb as the other 2. It was coiled up not being used. So I uncoiled it and plugged it in one of the tuners. Instantly got picture again. And both tuners are showing signal.

What's going on?

That could be a sign that either the two feeds you were using are damaged in some way or that your LNB is on its way out or both. you need to check the cable runs and all f-plugs to make sure they are in good working order and maybe get that LNB checked out or replaced all together.

Martincape
14-12-14, 14:33
How easy is it to replace an lnb? It's not expensive for a new one.

Larry-G
14-12-14, 14:36
How easy is it to replace an lnb? It's not expensive for a new one.

On a sky dish it's just a matter of one screw usually on the collar of the LNB or the bracket holding it to the arm. a new LNB for one is just a few quid but make sure you get the rite one.

Martincape
14-12-14, 14:36
How do I know which one I need pal?

Larry-G
14-12-14, 14:44
you would need to identify the dish type but most will come with a couple of different collar types any way, you just use the correct collar for the dish and throw the old one.

Martincape
14-12-14, 17:27
It seems spot on now pal. The spare cabe I plugged in seems to have helped. Could the one I was using have been degraded and caused the blackout? As I still have 2 cables plugged into solo with good signal strength.

judge
14-12-14, 17:54
It seems spot on now pal. The spare cabe I plugged in seems to have helped. Could the one I was using have been degraded and caused the blackout? As I still have 2 cables plugged into solo with good signal strength.

Yes .

Andy_Hazza
14-12-14, 18:08
Defo a problem with your other 2 cables then buddy. I would snip a couple inches off n re connect. But be sure to use proper tape n not insulation tape.

abu baniaz
14-12-14, 18:08
Each port on LNB is in essence an individual LNB. It is possible that the one previoulsy being used is faulty and cable is fine. If you swap the cables around at LNB you will know whether it was cable or port on LNB.

Cable A. Untouched cable still coneected to receiver.
Cable B. The one that has been disconnected.
Cable C. The cable that has been uncoiled.

Swap cables B & C around.

Martincape
14-12-14, 19:16
Thank you for all your help. Still hasn't failed since I swapped over. So it could be a faulty lnb port. I'll swap cables over at the dish tomorrow and see what happens. It's a quad lnb so I can afford to lose two lol

What's proper tape pal? I thought insulation tape would be ideal.

abu baniaz
14-12-14, 19:27
Amalgamating tape. It's rubber and sticks to itself. But you shouldn't need it if you pull the hood down.

Joe_90
14-12-14, 19:33
Don't use insulating tape (PVC tape). What you want is self-amalgamating tape, which is a form of rubber tape (not sticky) which you stretch as you wrap around the F connector on the LNB. It forms a watertight seal and moulds to the connector. Works well on single and twin LNBs, but is a bit tricky on quads and octos due to the limited spacing between the connectors, but it can be done. Alternatively, purchase some rubber boots for the cable and put some silicone grease (not silicone sealant!) on the cable end and over the F connector before you slide the boot on.

- abu beat me to it!