PDA

View Full Version : How do I get rid of the annoying update indicator in the vfd?

LeeC22
13-12-14, 14:13
There seems to be an update available for vix according to the infobar, which I don't mind seeing. But the flashing update indicator in the vfd is really annoying. I can't find any setting to remove it though. So can anyone offer any easy solution to stop the update indicator being displayed in the vfd?

I presume it's a skin setting, but I'm not sure where the skin settings are for the vfd.

There is a very good reason why devices do not display flashing symbols on display panels, and that's because annoying users with distracting display elements, is not how you notify them of something. If there's an update, turn the indicator on,and leave it on. if there's not, turn it off.

Edit: NVM, I've just found another thread on the subject.

LeeC22
13-12-14, 14:22
Just to clarify, before some posts the obvious (and unwanted) solution of "Do the update and the indicator will stop flashing".

The question is "How do I remove the indicator from the vfd skin?", not "How do I stop it flashing?".

nsw9154
13-12-14, 14:46
Just turn it off go into - Menu/setup/system/software update settings and turn every thing to off

39207 39208

LeeC22
13-12-14, 15:06
Just turn it off go into - Menu/setup/system/software update settings and turn every thing to off

First line of my post "There seems to be an update available for vix according to the infobar, which I don't mind seeing."

The issue wasn't the updates, it was the flashing indicator in the vfd... which I have now solved. I have a visible indicator in the VFD, but it no longer flashes. I have made the same change to the recording indicator.

Turning off all those settings, turns off all notifications, which isn't what I was trying to achieve.

As this is a solved question, the thread can be locked or deleted at a mod's desire... I apologise for any inconvenience caused by me not searching the forums.

abu baniaz
13-12-14, 15:21
For the benefit of others, what did you do?

Larry-G
13-12-14, 15:28
First line of my post "There seems to be an update available for vix according to the infobar, which I don't mind seeing."

The issue wasn't the updates, it was the flashing indicator in the vfd... which I have now solved. I have a visible indicator in the VFD, but it no longer flashes. I have made the same change to the recording indicator.

Turning off all those settings, turns off all notifications, which isn't what I was trying to achieve.

As this is a solved question, the thread can be locked or deleted at a mod's desire... I apologise for any inconvenience caused by me not searching the forums.

There was no inconvenience in your post, but the reason the update icon flashes on the VFD / LCD is as a direct result of numerous user requests for it to flash, it used to be solid and people complained about that, like the do just about every thing else. so yet again we cant win no matter what way we do things.

LeeC22
13-12-14, 15:43
For the benefit of others, what did you do?
In the skin_display.xml, there is a section that reads:

<widget source="global.OnlineStableUpdateState" render="Pixmap" pixmap="update.png" position="62,0" size="10,10" >
<convert type="ConditionalShowHide">Blink</convert>
</widget>

You simply have to change the "convert type" line to read:

Upload the changed skin into /usr/share/enigma2/display/[your skin folder] and then select that skin from the setup options.

You can make that change for any values that have Blink in them.

<convert type="ConditionalShowHide" />

That displays the indicator in a static on/off condition.

phoenix: As a software developer, I fully understand your problem. I write applications and games, and in those, you would simply add an option that says "Flashing indicators:- ON/OFF". I have no real idea how receiver coding relates to application coding, so I wouldn't know if something like that was possible. The only way to win, is to give people options. That way, they decide how they want things to be displayed. As I say though, that's easy with applications and games.

bellejt
13-12-14, 16:38
works fine.Thx

LeeC22
13-12-14, 17:02
Oops, sorry about the post getting messed up... can't edit it either. :( It should say

You simply have to change the "convert type" line to read:

<convert type="ConditionalShowHide" />

I seem to have added stuff into the post in the wrong place.

bellejt
13-12-14, 17:15
I knew.I already did the same with record blinking indicator.