PDA

View Full Version : Strange USB Stick Problem

Skitts
03-12-14, 22:27
This is a strange one..

Four different memory sticks this has happened to, I bought 3 x Verbatim Pinstripe 8Gb Sticks and one Sandisk Cruzer Blade 8Gb for use in VU+ Duo and a Skybox F5s.

All now appear to be ok but when inserted into either box, for example to reflash latest openvix image (090) - not seen, cannot load the loader or the image, same thing on all four sticks!

They have been unwrapped, inserted into PC to copy the necessary files to and then put in the VU+ Duo...

Is it possible the PC is damaging them in some way ?

Have just re-inserted to PC and copied some files to them and then back from the stick to a different location, no problems.

They are formatted to FAT32 out of the box, have also reformatted to FAT32 and still get same issues.

Any ideas ?
It's baffling me !

timofee
03-12-14, 22:56
Two comments.

① Is there any other USB device plugged in
② Why are you using the USB flashing method, when it is so much easier to use Image Manager to reflash.

Skitts
03-12-14, 22:59
Thanks for the reply Timofee.

There are several other usb devices plugged in to PC, mouse, keyboard, camera, joystick, headset.
Didn't know about any other method of flashing, have always used the usb method.

Am always open to new methods, can you point in me in the direction of Image Manager > :-)

timofee
03-12-14, 23:13
I was talking about USB devices plugged into the Duo, not in the PC.

To flash using image manager you FTP the zip file into /media/usb/imagebackups, then go to the VIX image manager menu. This assumes that you have a good USB stick permanently plugged into your Duo, formatted to ext4 and mounted.

Skitts
03-12-14, 23:17
Ah Ok, no, no other usb devices in VU+.
I'll give that a go and use that method from now on.
Many thanks for the advice.

Walt
03-12-14, 23:20
Format the sticks using the HP format tool. It seems to be a better quality format.

Skitts
03-12-14, 23:42
Thanks Walt, I have that utility installed.
I am currently trying the ftp method :-)

Still interested to find cause of the issue in 1st place, whether it's my rig that is frying the sticks or something, I know years back that front usb ports could sometimes cause issues on usb sticks

Skitts
04-12-14, 01:02
Finished ! Image via ftp and Image Manager - works a treat so thanks for the headsup on that.
:-)

birdman
04-12-14, 03:03
All now appear to be ok but when inserted into either box, for example to reflash latest openvix image (090) - not seen, cannot load the loader or the image, same thing on all four sticks!How many USB ports do you have. Have you tried all of them? In particular the one (possibly) mentioned in the documentation to use when flashing?.
And I presume you know you don't need to flash to do an update - you can do it from the running system.

Is it possible the PC is damaging them in some way ?Not unless it writes to it in some way when you insert it.

Have just re-inserted to PC and copied some files to them and then back from the stick to a different location, no problems.Have you tried just inserting the stick into the running VU/Skybox systems and seeing whether it gets mounted?