PDA

View Full Version : Replacement fan

billy2222
01-12-14, 21:57
Hi guys
I'm looking for a replacement fan for my Nano oe because it sounds like a helicopter taking off when I fire the box up,anyone got any idea the best place to get one?
Many thanks Billy

mann
01-12-14, 23:29
Hi guys
I'm looking for a replacement fan for my Nano oe because it sounds like a helicopter taking off when I fire the box up,anyone got any idea the best place to get one?
Many thanks Billy

loads of places..first try Sponsers, or maplin online or instore,fleabays etc but measure your existing fan i think its 40mmx5mm off the top of my head but check.
I have solved whirring fans problems on my boxes many times with a clean and a spray of wd40 or simply a tighten of the mounting screws

nano18
15-12-14, 00:53
Do you know if the fan only works when the box is on and not in stand-by?

My Nano OE makes a humming/buzzing noise when it's on, but in standby (even when recording) it's virtually silent.

I think the fan is the issue but just wondered...

Thanks

Joe_90
15-12-14, 01:22
WD40 is not a lubricant - excellent for dispersing moisture or freeing up rusted items though. Use light machine oil or 3-in-1 oil (just a drop off a needle).

adm
15-12-14, 02:30
WD40 is not a lubricant

+1. It's so light that it will evaporate off soon after it has been put on.

Use light machine oil or 3-in-1 oil (just a drop off a needle).
When I've lubricated fans I use a heavier oil - car engine oil. The important point is that you don't need a lot. I put a drop on a plastic bag and then dip in something fine such as a watchmakers screwdriver to pick up a small amount. On computer type fans the label usually has to be removed to get at the bearing.

If the fan is to be replaced check the label for the working voltage/speed. Fans come in 5 volt and 12 volt versions and in a range of speeds and associated noise performance. Often the slower the speed the quieter the fan will be, albeit the fan blade design can have some effect on the noise performance. Also check the existing fan to see how many wires it has (2, 3 or 4)

This link

http://www.quietpc.com/casefans

shows the typical range of standard case fans. Probably the same fans are much cheaper from Ebay etc.

mann
15-12-14, 11:11
Nano oe can run without fan no problem if no hard drive installed.