PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] Mount of 30.2GB USB flash drive

greenback
23-11-14, 17:34
I have a Sandisk Cruzer Blade 4GB mounting with no issues for EPG, swapfile and some media files, mounted as /media/usb

I inserted the 2nd 'udisk' flash drive & initialised to ext4 using the menu system, then used VIX mount manager to set it to /media/usb2 - no problems. The machine then does the necessary restart but the udisk drive does not mount. When you try to mount manually from mount manager it fails. The only way to mount the disk is to either reinitialise or to disconnect/reconnect the drive.

This drive is a strange size that I have never seen before - 30.2GB when connected to WinXP or Win7, confirmed using Easeus Partition Master. However, when inserted into the Duo it is recognised as being 32.505GB. Significant?

I also formatted the drive to FAT32 to see if that made any difference. It didn't... But I did notice that when I subsequently disconnected the drive from the Duo and reinserted into desktop it needed to be reformatted before the desktop would read it. Significant? I have copied and pasted some files onto the drive from my Windows machine and validated the disk using Easeus with no issues.

ATEOTD this is not a huge issue for me, I got the drive as a freebie from a corporate event so I have lost nothing. I just thought it might be worth mentioning as the devs may find it interesting.

birdman
23-11-14, 23:04
This drive is a strange size that I have never seen before - 30.2GB when connected to WinXP or Win7, confirmed using Easeus Partition Master. However, when inserted into the Duo it is recognised as being 32.505GB. Significant?Unlikely. Just the difference between using 1000 and 210 for the multiplier and rounding.

perl -le 'printf "%0.2f\n", (32.505/(1.024*1.024*1.024))'

birdman
23-11-14, 23:09
I inserted the 2nd 'udisk' flash drive & initialised to ext4 using the menu system, then used VIX mount manager to set it to /media/usb2 - no problems. The machine then does the necessary restart...Not sure why a restart would be needed.
However - have you tried formatting it to FAT32 on your MS Windows systems and seeing whether that will then mount on the VU+Duo?

abu baniaz
23-11-14, 23:44
Are we certain that it is fat32 and not exfat

birdman
24-11-14, 02:58
Are we certain that it is fat32 and not exfatEven if it were, that wouldn't explain the ext4 oddity.

greenback
24-11-14, 08:04
Not sure why a restart would be needed.
However - have you tried formatting it to FAT32 on your MS Windows systems and seeing whether that will then mount on the VU+Duo?

Hi birdman,

After you use VIX mount manager to name the mountpoint /media/usb2 by default, the system says it needs to restart for the settings to take effect. The issue happens if I rename the mountpoints or leave them at the default.

Edit: and yes, I have. It mounts when the drive is inserted but then will not mount again upon restart or a manual mount. It needs to be removed/reinserted to be mounted again.

greenback
24-11-14, 08:07
Are we certain that it is fat32 and not exfat

Yes abu baniaz, 100% certain. And as birdman says, the problem happens even if the drive is initialised to ext4 using the duo.