View Full Version : Pausing live TV does not work reliably

divil_a_bit
19-11-14, 23:45
==========================
Gigablue Quad Plus

Problem reproduced on:
- OpenViX Apollo.062
- OpenViX Apollo.088
I also reproduced it from a factory reset of the box WITHOUT restore settings.

Problems occur on both skins:
- ViX Night HD skin
- ViX Blue HD V3 skin

Pausing live TV does not work reliably.

Timeshift setting:
Timeshift location: /media/hdd/timeshift/
Automatically start timeshift after: 2 seconds
Show warning when timeshift is stopped: No
Timeshift-save action on zap: Don't save
Stop timeshift while recording?: No
Use timeshift seekbar while timeshifting?: Yes

I'm using a 1TB internal 2.5 inch HD that came with the box from WOS.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Turn on box
2. Flick to any channel
3. Wait for more than 2 seconds for TS to kick in (as per my settings)
4. Hit play/pause on the remote. At this point, the live feed will pause
5. Wait for some period of time, say 10 seconds (this time does not really matter, it fails whether I wait for 1 second or 1 minute)
6. Hit play/pause on the remote again to resume playback. More often than not, playback will resume at live TV and not and the point where I paused it. This can also be seen from the time on the infobar.

After the problem occurs, I can still rewind live TV back to the point where I originally paused it ... but I shouldn't have to do that. It should resume from the point I paused it at.

As I said, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The problem occurs approx every 4 of of 5 attempts which is very annoying.

In the attached DEBUG log, the 2nd from last pause/resume worked perfectly. I beleive this is on line 1314 in the log: "Start timeshift!"
The very last pause/resume failed. Line 1652 in the log: "Start timeshift!"
The logs are clean - box only booted a few minutes and there is very little activity.

Play/Pause works perfectly when watching a recorded show.

Is this a know issue? Is there some setting I'm missing?

divil_a_bit
19-11-14, 23:48
Gigablue Quad Plus

Problem reproduced on:
- OpenViX Apollo.062
- OpenViX Apollo.088
I also reproduced it from a factory reset of the box with no plugins installed.

Problems occur on both skins:
- ViX Night HD skin
- ViX Blue HD V3 skin

Pausing live TV does not work reliably.

Timeshift setting:
Timeshift location: /media/hdd/timeshift/
Automatically start timeshift after: 2 seconds
Show warning when timeshift is stopped: No
Timeshift-save action on zap: Don't save
Stop timeshift while recording?: No
Use timeshift seekbar while timeshifting?: Yes

I'm using a 1TB internal 2.5 inch HD that came with the box from WOS.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Turn on box
2. Flick to any channel
3. Wait for more than 2 seconds for TS to kick in (as per my settings)
4. Hit play/pause on the remote. At this point, the live feed will pause
5. Wait for some period of time, say 10 seconds (this time does not really matter, it fails whether I wait for 1 second or 1 minute)
6. Hit play/pause on the remote again to resume playback. More often than not, playback will resume at live TV and not and the point where I paused it. This can also be seen from the time on the infobar.

After the problem occurs, I can still rewind live TV back to the point where I originally paused it ... but I shouldn't have to do that. It should resume from the point I paused it at.

As I said, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The problem occurs approx every 4 of of 5 attempts which is very annoying.

In the attached DEBUG log, the 2nd from last pause/resume worked perfectly. I beleive this is on line 1314 in the log: "Start timeshift!"
The very last pause/resume failed. Line 1652 in the log: "Start timeshift!"
The logs are clean - box only booted a few minutes and there is very little activity.

Play/Pause works perfectly when watching a recorded show.

Are other users seeing this issue? Is there some setting I'm missing?

judge
19-11-14, 23:53
Does the same happen when you press the OK button?

judge
19-11-14, 23:59
Why the multiple threads?

abu baniaz
20-11-14, 00:24
Why the multiple threads?
Merged them.

garyblas
20-11-14, 00:36
Is this the same problem i seeing on Vu Duo on automatic time shift problem

divil_a_bit
20-11-14, 07:31
Does the same happen when you press the OK button?

Yes - same problem using the OK button.

Sorry for the multiple threads. I thought one thread in the general openvix support forum and one thread in the Gigablue Quad+ forum would cover more users.

divil_a_bit
20-11-14, 07:33
Is this the same problem i seeing on Vu Duo on automatic time shift problem

I have the same problem with ATS - I can't rewind past the start of the current program.

duoduo
20-11-14, 08:55
For what it's worth, I have the same issues on my solo2 has divil and Gary (reported on his thread). I find the pause issue is more annoying for me than the rewind.

divil_a_bit
20-11-14, 10:24
For what it's worth, I have the same issues on my solo2 has divil and Gary (reported on his thread). I find the pause issue is more annoying for me than the rewind.

Yep - I can get over the rewind into the previous program.
The pause not working could be a deal breaker with the better half :( ... and even for myself. It's actually very annp

When I purchased the Gigablue Quad+ from WOS, I asked them to flash it with the latest openvix (apollo.62 at the time). I have never seen what Gigablue actually ship on the box - I assume Pause will work properly with whatever image that happens to be.
I might have a look at installing the original image that should come with the Gigablue Quad+ - anybody have any pointers at where I can download it?
Is it easy to restore openvix with all my settings if I decide to revert? Is it worth the effort putting the original Gigablue on it?

Thanks for the help and comments so far everyone!

nsw9154
20-11-14, 12:14
Timeshift is working perfectly on my Duo2 running openvixHD Apollo 088, but after reading this I thought that I had better check it again been running it in timeshift for a while, i have paused it rewound it fast forward it at different speeds played it paused it again and finally Recorded it with the option of present or previous timeshift programs and it worked faultlessly, i have captured some screens as it was being tested and they are numbered from 1st to last

38658 38659 38660 38661 38662
38663 38664 38665

divil_a_bit
20-11-14, 12:56
Thanks for the info nsw9154

For those more familiar with these problem - is it likely to be a driver issue?
I'm new to Enigma2/openvix and linux satellite receivers (although I do have quite a bit of experience with linux)

Is the kernel + drivers bundled with openvix? If I try another "distro" of Enigma2 am I likely to hit the same issue?

nsw9154
20-11-14, 13:14
Probably mate I know that they are having problems with the Gigablue drivers hopefully they will get them fixed one day as my Duo2 is working perfect

garyblas
20-11-14, 14:38
Probably mate I know that they are having problems with the Gigablue drivers hopefully they will get them fixed one day as my Duo2 is working perfect

Can you rewind to previous program, when not been paused? i.e Does your PTS work as thats an issue too

nsw9154
20-11-14, 16:09
Can you rewind to previous program, when not been paused? i.e Does your PTS work as thats an issue too

I see what you mean I will do a few tests on a different channel as using the news channel only gives me the news and is not really a fair test :eek:

nsw9154
20-11-14, 19:04
Well I ran in timeshift for over 2 hours watching (1) 1 hour and (2) 30 minute programs then went and recorded the 1st 30 minute program from the timeshift menu then went back to watch TV and the picture locked up, I tried rewinding and fast forwarding and pressing the stop button but the picture just juddered and sort of jumped then stopped as if in pause, I pressed play and it started to play so I paused it but their was no pause indicator showing I had to change to another channel to get access to the receiver :confused: here is a screen shot of it in pause and the recorded program only showing about 10 mins even though it was a 30 minute program, I use timeshift a lot but only to watch programs from and have never tried doing a recording so have never picked this up it's a very strange one to describe but defiantly a bug

38673 38674 38675

garyblas
20-11-14, 20:48
Great test. So you can say for sure the Apollo image does have a problem with time shift and permanent time shift

divil_a_bit
20-11-14, 23:23
I'm new to Linux receivers. Is the kernel + drivers bundled with openvix? If I try another "distro" of Enigma2 am I likely to hit the same issue?
According to openvix, the "Driver date" is 20141020

What's something like this going to be like:
http://image.openmips.com/4.2/index.php?open=gbquadplus

I wish I knew the problems with the Gigablue Quad Plus before I purchased it :(

nsw9154
20-11-14, 23:25
With what happened with me when I tried it I would defiantly sat YES their is a problem, but I would presume only with trying to record a program while in timeshift as I never had a problem just trying to watch something as it has always worked fine :confused:

Rob van der Does
21-11-14, 06:23
I'm new to Enigma2/openvix and linux satellite receivers (although I do have quite a bit of experience with linux)

Is the kernel + drivers bundled with openvix? If I try another "distro" of Enigma2 am I likely to hit the same issue?
The OS is Linux (a limited OE (Open Embedded) version), and of course Linux contains kernel and drivers.
Drivers are closed source, provided by the manufacturer, and compiled against the kernel.
The application in use = Enigma 2

An image = Linux + E2 + a skin + some plugins

Linux & E2 will vary over teams (as do skins and plugins), but the drivers (and hence the kernel) is the same for every team.

divil_a_bit
21-11-14, 15:37
The OS is Linux (a limited OE (Open Embedded) version), and of course Linux contains kernel and drivers.
Drivers are closed source, provided by the manufacturer, and compiled against the kernel.

Linux & E2 will vary over teams (as do skins and plugins), but the drivers (and hence the kernel) is the same for every team.

Brilliant explanation Rob - thanks very much.
I didn't realise E2 was an application! I thought it was more than that.

Do you by any chance know the latest version of the Gigablue Quad Plus drivers?
According to openvix, the "Driver date" on mine is 20141020

divil_a_bit
23-11-14, 12:36
It's definitely a driver issue. I tried the latest openmips also from here:
and I had the same problem with pausing live TV :(

yeshu26
07-12-14, 13:02
Amen!

Ditto issues on my Miracleboxx Mini HD

Larry-G
08-12-14, 17:25
Amen!

Ditto issues on my Miracleboxx Mini HD

The miracle box is a different receiver to the Gigablue so i can't see it having the same driver related issues but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

divil_a_bit
10-12-14, 14:54

Just a follow-up question: where do I find out about new kernel/driver release for the GB Quad Plus?
How soon after a kernel or a driver release for the GB Quad Plus receiver will it be picked up by openvix and be included as part of the image?

Thanks

Larry-G
10-12-14, 16:22
Bootloaders are not automatically updated but have to be manually. When a new bootloader is made available and we're confident it does not break any thing in the image we will recommend you update and provide a link to it, drivers are added to the GIT and automatically updated with the image, unless we find a issue wit them and intentionally leave them out.

divil_a_bit
10-12-14, 16:58
drivers are added to the GIT and automatically updated with the image, unless we find a issue wit them and intentionally leave them out.
Thanks for the information.
Am I correct in saying openvix developers get notified of a driver update from Gigablue and do some testing with that driver. If openvix developers find no issues, they release the drivers as part of the next openvix image?
Where does one find out about GB driver releases, when they're planned and the change logs for each release? I have a couple of issues with my GB Quad Plus and I'm wondering when/if they'll be fixed.

Larry-G
10-12-14, 17:09
Thanks for the information.
Am I correct in saying openvix developers get notified of a driver update from Gigablue and do some testing with that driver. If openvix developers find no issues, they release the drivers as part of the next openvix image?
Where does one find out about GB driver releases, when they're planned and the change logs for each release? I have a couple of issues with my GB Quad Plus and I'm wondering when/if they'll be fixed.

That would be the ideal situation yes but it's not always the case. Sometimes we get a heads up, other times another member of the OE-A will get the drivers and submit them to the GIT them selves. Which ever way once new drivers are issued it's not a long wait until they appear in the image.

divil_a_bit
10-12-14, 21:06
Great - thanks for the info pheonix

Where does one find out about GB driver releases, when they're planned and the change logs for each release? I have a couple of issues that GB are aware of with my GB Quad Plus and I'm wondering when/if they'll be fixed.

Larry-G
10-12-14, 21:22
To be honest contrary to popular belief, we very rarely if ever get to know before hand from any manufacturer about upcoming driver releases, unless we have a specific bug report in with them, then maybe they will give us a advanced copy for testing. The rest of the time we find out the same way as every one else does, when they appear on the download page.

http://archiv.openmips.com/

As for changelogs again very rarely do we get to see those, in fact most manufacturers dont bother to release any form of changelog for their drivers etc.

divil_a_bit
10-12-14, 21:57
All very interesting pheonix - thanks for the explanation. I'm keen to learn more ... so I have a few more questions.

If I ssh onto my GB Quad Plus ans run:

> modinfo dvb
filename: /lib/modules/3.14.2/extra/dvb.ko
license: GPL
description: BCM7XXX DVB Driver (michael@gigablue)
version: 20141020154934-14.2
depends:
vermagic: 3.14.2 SMP mod_unload BMIPS 32BIT
parm: config:string

So from the version the driver date is the 20-oct-2014
That corresponds with the driver date that openvix reports (menu->information->about->Drivers) ... I was always curious where that date came from!

You mentioned the driver for the GB Quad plus came from here:
http://archiv.openmips.com/
However, the date on that driver on that link is 31-jul-2014! So http://archiv.openmips.com/ is clearly not the location of the current driver. Is that right?

If I look here however:
http://gigablue-support.com/
and click "openMips 4.2 Firmware Download", I get to here:
I can see there are more frequent released of openmips.
If I download the latest and unzip the dvb.ko, I can see it has a size of 16,492,687 bytes. The size of the dvb.ko on my own GB Quad Plus is: 11,060,791 byes.
Shouldn't those files be the same size if they were both the same version of the driver?

Thanks for taking the time to help out.

Rob van der Does
11-12-14, 06:23
You can follow all changes in e.g. drivers on

https://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-alliance-core

divil_a_bit
11-12-14, 17:13
Great - thanks
Any idea why the binary ko files are different here:

??

divil_a_bit
02-01-15, 16:49
Came across this thread:
http://www.gigablue-support.org/gigablueforum/board181-gigablue-quad-plus/board186-fehlerreport/4335-bild-ruckelt-bei-wiedergabe-der-aufnahmen-nach-spulen/index2.html

The thread has a link to beta Gigablue Quad+ drivers that are due to be release at the end of Jan 2015.
Link to drivers:
http://archiv.openmips.com/beta/gigablue-drivers-3.14.2-gbquadseries-20141226.zip

I've downloaded and have used and all seems to be OK. Fast Fwd works perfectly! I haven't noticed any problems yet even though they are only beta drivers

mruphillgard
04-01-15, 03:09
I have just tried the same beta driver on my box and it's fixed the Fast Fwd issue for me too.