PDA

View Full Version : VU+ Solo Genuine or Clone?

Taffia
19-11-14, 18:46
Hi,
can anyone give me some real pointers on how to tell a Genuine Vu Solo from a Clone please?

when I bought it, I was unaware of copies etc, and naturally assumed it was "real"

ive had it for just under 2 years and originally had a Black Hole Image on it.

I had some issues with it so , with assistance from afar, it was re-loaded with OPENPLI.

since then very few issues to worry about.

however I have lost contact with my support person, and before I start messing around and upgrading etc, I thought that I should get it checked.

any help would of great use.

thanks all

Larry-G
19-11-14, 18:48
Are there any stickers on the top of the receiver or the rear panel indicating a version such as V1 or V1.0 or similar or any URL's pointing towards support sites ?.

Taffia
19-11-14, 19:10
Cheers for reply
nothing on top or rear
on underside there is a sticker V 2.0

is this what you mean?

Taffia
19-11-14, 19:15
Cheers for reply
nothing on top or rear
on underside there is a sticker V 2.0

is this what you mean?

also a sticker (barcode) with a BN number and a SN beginning MA

Larry-G
19-11-14, 19:24
I would say it is a clone, original receivers do not come with any stickers or marks with version numbers on them, only the clones do.

Taffia
19-11-14, 20:22
thanks for info

cant say im happy with it though!

ive found some pics on the VU website, so im going to take the lid off and compare.

i'll let you know results.

thanks

Taffia
21-11-14, 16:59
I've started smiling again.
pics were inconclusive for recognition.

however I found link below.
finally managed to load Vu+ Version 7 from their website. Accessed the plug in as described. I have a genuine box!!!

http://vuplus.com/pressNewsContent.htm?idx=37&pagenum=1

learnt a lot doing this exercise, and more willing to upgrade etc

next question how do I identify what version OPEN Image I have , cant see it anywhere.

cheers

Larry-G
21-11-14, 17:23
Sorry to burst your bubble but the return the love plugin is useless and was beaten a long time ago by the cloners. As I said above the V2 sticker is a solid indicator that the receiver is a clone as they are never found on original units.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Peterj
21-11-14, 18:35
http://www.vuplus.com/pressNewsContent.htm?idx=38&pagenum=5

Taffia
24-11-14, 19:22
Yep!

Bubble burst!!
had some info saying on a clone main board is a "security" chip /module. This module isn't present on the genuine item.

also contains/controls the V2 firmware and isn't easy to upgrade. However there is a replacement chip which has V3.2 on board.

is there any mileage in changing this chip? would it be beneficial to me in any way?

im concerned that my current support guy has disappeared and my contract expires in Jan.

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Larry-G
24-11-14, 19:24
sorry to hear you confirm my assumptions but we cant offer advice or support for cloned receivers.

Taffia
25-11-14, 01:22
fully understand your position.

ill keep looking and maybe ill get sorted. If not i'll buy a new one