PDA

View Full Version : New VU+ Zero

Trial
18-11-14, 09:39
Hi,
in the VU+ git there appeared a sign of a new model called VU+ Zero. The patches for that model mainly consists of
if SystemInfo["PVRSupport"]:
so perhaps a model without tuner and/or possibility to add a storage device.

Ralf

Sicilian
18-11-14, 09:50
Its going to be a cheap, basic single tuner.

Rob van der Does
18-11-14, 10:18
What they really need is a new flagship. I'm still anxiously awaiting an Ultimo2 or so.
As it is now they've lost the competition in the higher class boxes.
IMHO adding two low-spec boxes like the SoloSE & Zero won't do them much good.

s31teg
18-11-14, 10:46
one with no tuner would be quite good using with my quad ultimo using remotestream plugin

DaMacFunkin
18-11-14, 11:03
I think they maybe waiting on final chipsets for hevc.265 (4k) before they launch new higher end models.

Huevos
19-11-14, 10:45
perhaps a model without tuner and/or possibility to add a storage device.It must have a tuner because there are changes to blindscan.

Donnie
21-11-14, 21:53
Here is a link to Vu+ with the info

http://vuplus.com/productZero.html

s31teg
21-11-14, 22:58
Has a remote IR sensor, perfect for users with tv's on walls like in a bedroom.

Great price point

Donnie
21-11-14, 23:06
Has a remote IR sensor, perfect for users with tv's on walls like in a bedroom.

Great price point

Hopefully it will put people off wasting money on clones.

ronand
21-11-14, 23:23
Great for campervans as it runs from an external 12v supply. An ideal entry level receiver.

judge
22-11-14, 00:26
Great price point
Surprised to see VU put a price on their own website, I'd expect it to be removed soon...

Hopefully it will put people off wasting money on clones.
Doubt it, current published price would be €123 (including VAT) in Ireland + shipping costs to add on, making it even more expensive.
While VU make quality products, placing a new single tuner box with a processor not up to current standards & at that price, the clone makers will still make a killing.

Does look like a nice box though.

s31teg
22-11-14, 12:01
Is there any news on release date?

Ev0
24-11-14, 23:31
Is there any news on release date?

1st December in Europe, so I would think it would be close to that over here.

Ev0
24-11-14, 23:34
Surprised to see VU put a price on their own website, I'd expect it to be removed soon...

Doubt it, current published price would be €123 (including VAT) in Ireland + shipping costs to add on, making it even more expensive.
While VU make quality products, placing a new single tuner box with a processor not up to current standards & at that price, the clone makers will still make a killing.

Does look like a nice box though.

I think it will see off the Solo1 and Duo1 clones (assuming the price is around 100 euro's / 100 pounds plus the dreaded).

It's a lower cpu spec than the current gen, but still higher than those older box's and with more ram and flash space than them both too.

So atleast there will be an option to buy a genuine box with support and warranty with a high spec than the gen1 clones.

Ok the Solo2 clones are another matter, but Vu+ seem to be doing an ok job of atleast making people weary of buying a clone solo2 / duo2 atm.

m1nz
27-11-14, 11:28
Seems ok on the specs for a second box in the house

Rob van der Does
27-11-14, 11:36
Hehe, IMHO 'zero' stands for 'zero options'. No sp/df, no choice in tuner.
I think for that price there are plenty of other choices.

billy2222
27-11-14, 13:20
Very underwhelming for the cost,much better options out there.:confused:

chaser
27-11-14, 23:53
Hehe, IMHO 'zero' stands for 'zero options'. No sp/df, no choice in tuner.
I think for that price there are plenty of other choices.

I guess from this post, and some of your other posts on the VU+ boxes, that you're not a real fan of the VU+ line-up. I asked a question a couple of years ago and never got an answer...

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?28577-Smallest-E2-Sat-Receiver

For me, this box is the answer to that question :)

Rob van der Does
28-11-14, 06:53
I guess from this post, and some of your other posts on the VU+ boxes, that you're not a real fan of the VU+ line-up.
That is guessed wrong; this the question was only about the Zero. IMHO the Zero is not a good choice, as it is expensive for what it offers. There are better choices.
But apart from that: there is no ViX-image for this box.

duoduo
28-11-14, 07:54
That is guessed wrong; this the question was only about the Zero. IMHO the Zero is not a good choice, as it is expensive for what it offers. There are better choices.

Rob, please can you lost a couple of alternatives you feel are better for the same price I.e. Around £100.00 price range?

chaser
28-11-14, 08:00
That is guessed wrong
It's not the first time I've guessed wrong :(

IMHO the Zero is not a good choice, as it is expensive for what it offers. There are better choices.
What would you recommend for me, based on the info I posted in the link above?

That's a shame. Will there be one in future, once the box is released?

Rob van der Does
28-11-14, 08:09
Max Digital XP1000, Xtrend ET4000.

chaser
28-11-14, 08:59
As far as I can tell, neither of these have external remote sensor, and for me are a bit too big to sit comfortably behind a swivel bracket wall mounted TV. As far as I'm aware the only 2 E2 boxes that have external remote sensor are the Solo SE and this new Zero. Again the Solo SE is a bit too big for me.

s31teg
28-11-14, 09:06
IMHO I think its good as I want to mount it in the wall and it keeps the remote layout the same as the other VU in the house.

Also, I'm sure VIX will support it soon or is this a problem ATM?

rossi2000
28-11-14, 09:11
until told otherwise, its highly likely there will be an vix image for the zero.

Rob van der Does
28-11-14, 09:45
As always: everybody makes his own choices. As long as all options are considered, that's rather good.

Ev0
28-11-14, 10:49

How are these better / better value than the Zero ?

Serious question as from the info I found, 1 is the same price the other is more expensive.

The more expensive 1 only has a 500mhz cpu, and only 1 usb port.

Neither have IR blasters.

Rob van der Does
28-11-14, 12:09
Which one? ET4k runs on 750MHz.

Ev0
28-11-14, 12:25
Which one? ET4k runs on 750MHz.

ET4k is same price as Zero, but has less ram and flash space.

The XP1000 only has 500mhz, less flash space (same Ram), 1 usb and is more expensive.

Rob van der Does
28-11-14, 13:02
Have you seen a retail price for the Zero yet?

Peterj
28-11-14, 13:30

Yeah, 135,= euros (The Netherlands).

^^COMPASS^^
28-11-14, 13:48
Instock €128.00 (Italy)

Pre Order £120.00 (UK)

Rob van der Does
28-11-14, 15:02
Hmmm, so the Zero seems even more expensive then I thought.....

Ev0
28-11-14, 16:06

It is 119 euro's in that german shop, only uk price i've seen is £120

Ev0
28-11-14, 16:06
Hmmm, so the Zero seems even more expensive then I thought.....

Same price as the ET4k and cheaper than the XP1000

Sicilian
28-11-14, 16:26
If I wanted to buy a cheap single tuner I'd go with the Medi@link Ixuss Zero @ £89 http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Medialink-Linux-HD-Receivers/Medialink-Ixuss-Zero Uses Dual core 405 MHZ BCM7413 sames as Uno/Ultimo. Card slot, CI Slot, Front VFD, 2x rear USB ports, excellent build quality, external 12V PSU, 2 year hardware warranty.

Rob van der Does
28-11-14, 16:29
And Medi@link IXUSS ZERO (with ViX, front display, not a plastic casing).

Donnie
28-11-14, 20:22
And Medi@link IXUSS ZERO (with ViX, front display, not a plastic casing).

That's a biggy, the plastic case would scare me off :D

Rob van der Does
28-11-14, 20:28
Well, Zero and Solo-SE are plasticware.

Donnie
28-11-14, 20:58

I know, I have both but really does not worry me, they perform great.

Ev0
28-11-14, 21:06

Don't stick them in the microwave then and they will be ok

Sicilian
28-11-14, 21:26
Keep it sensible please guys.

s31teg
28-11-14, 23:16
If I wanted to buy a cheap single tuner I'd go with the Medi@link Ixuss Zero @ £89 http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Medialink-Linux-HD-Receivers/Medialink-Ixuss-Zero Uses Dual core 405 MHZ BCM7413 sames as Uno/Ultimo. Card slot, CI Slot, Front VFD, 2x rear USB ports, excellent build quality, external 12V PSU, 2 year hardware warranty.

that remote though, rather pay the little extra for a vu remote

Rob van der Does
29-11-14, 07:06
Nope: for a Harmony.

Sicilian
29-11-14, 07:12
that remote though, rather pay the little extra for a vu remote

Have you actually got one and used one? The remote is actually very good quality and very solid.

Imo you need to look a specs and what your actually getting for you money. VU have basically stripped the Zero to mega basic.

Theres no VFD, no CI Slot, only has HDMI out, no RCA outs, no front panel buttons, no spdif or coaxal out, no RS232, plastic case, so how do VU+ justify the price tag?

Donnie
29-11-14, 09:22
Have you actually got one and used one? The remote is actually very good quality and very solid.

Imo you need to look a specs and what your actually getting for you money. VU have basically stripped the Zero to mega basic.

Theres no VFD, no CI Slot, only has HDMI out, no RCA outs, no front panel buttons, no spdif or coaxal out, no RS232, plastic case, so how do VU+ justify the price tag?

You do get RCA output via the single AV output and the cable is supplied with the box.

Ev0
29-11-14, 11:40

As said, there is an A/V out, via 3.5mm jack and there is a cable supplied, there is also an RS232 port, but it uses the same connector as the IR blaster uses (IR blaster also included in the box).

Why is the lack of VFD such a big deal ? How many really look at the vfd on there box, when they can just press a button on the remote and see what channel there on, much clearer and easier ?

Lack of a CI slot, isn't that big a deal either imo, the Zero is aimed at those looking for a 2nd (or 3rd / 4th) box, for the kids room, the bedroom or a spare room, I don't think there intending for it to be the main living room box (although if you don't need a CI slot, and multi tuners, or a hdd, then it will do the job as a main box just fine).

As for the plastic case, again where is the issue ? it's not like it's the thinnest and nastiest plastic they could get there hands on, it's actully nice thick, sturdy and good quality.

Sicilian
29-11-14, 12:05
As said, there is an A/V out, via 3.5mm jack and there is a cable supplied, there is also an RS232 port, but it uses the same connector as the IR blaster uses (IR blaster also included in the box).

I stand correct on those points :thumbsup:

Why is the lack of VFD such a big deal ? How many really look at the vfd on there box, when they can just press a button on the remote and see what channel there on, much clearer and easier ?

Why is not? Surely the VU+ Zero should be cheaper with such hardware reduction....

Lack of a CI slot, isn't that big a deal either imo, the Zero is aimed at those looking for a 2nd (or 3rd / 4th) box, for the kids room, the bedroom or a spare room, I don't think there intending for it to be the main living room box (although if you don't need a CI slot, and multi tuners, or a hdd, then it will do the job as a main box just fine).

again another big hardware reduction....

As for the plastic case, again where is the issue ? it's not like it's the thinnest and nastiest plastic they could get there hands on, it's actully nice thick, sturdy and good quality.

yet again, another hardware reduction, plastic case is cheaper to produce than metal case...

Don't get be wrong, I'm not coating VU+ off, but I just cannot see how the price tag is justified, imo all it has going for it is the CPU. There's a lot more choice out there nowadays apart from VU+. Anyway just my opinion....people will buy what they wish...

Rob van der Does
29-11-14, 12:12
there is also an RS232 port, but it uses the same connector as the IR blaster uses (IR blaster also included in the box).
That is indeed correct, but I have no idea where to find a corresponding (RS232) cable.

Ev0
29-11-14, 12:15
Why is not? Surely the VU+ Zero should be cheaper with such hardware reduction....

The Zero is so small, that even if there was a vfd on it, you would have to be right infront of it, to see it imo.

again another big hardware reduction....

again I guess it depends on what your purpose is for the box, why include something that most (the targetted users) wouldn't need, and force the box to be bigger than it needbe.

yet again, another hardware reduction, plastic case is cheaper to produce than metal case...

It is also lighter, and stronger than metal (it won't dent if the kids knock it off the side).

Don't get be wrong, I'm not coating VU+ off, but I just cannot see how the price tag is justified, imo all it has going for it is the CPU. There's a lot more choice out there nowadays apart from VU+. Anyway just my opinion....people will buy what they wish...

Yes I get what you are saying, it doesn't matter to me either, who buy's what, I am only offering my opinion.

Rob van der Does
29-11-14, 12:40
Whether or not you 'need' the missing hardware is one thing (and if that's the case you won't buy the box), but it makes it a cheap box. And that's not being reflected in the retail price.

Peterj
29-11-14, 12:43

Can you figure out the pin settings of the IR blaster? I was trying to make one myself for the Solo SE. (wasn't 1 included).

Ev0
30-11-14, 14:38
Can you figure out the pin settings of the IR blaster? I was trying to make one myself for the Solo SE. (wasn't 1 included).

Hope this helps.

4 wires, Green, Black, White, Red

Guy
30-11-14, 21:37
The specs I have seen also state it can watch the recorded content from your Duo2 or Solo2 over the home network connection making it ideal for a second box (hopefully it will work with the original Duo too).

Ev0
30-11-14, 21:41
The specs I have seen also state it can watch the recorded content from your Duo2 or Solo2 over the home network connection making it ideal for a second box (hopefully it will work with the original Duo too).

Yes it will work with the Duo also ;)

Guy
30-11-14, 22:09
Good news. Looks like I might treat myself for christmas if VIX are going to do an image for it

Walt
01-12-14, 01:00
Any confirmation that there will be a vix image for the zero? It's a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned.

Sicilian
01-12-14, 06:26

That can be done with ANY Enigma 2 receiver LOL! Doesn't have to be a VU+.

Sicilian
01-12-14, 06:27
Good news. Looks like I might treat myself for christmas if VIX are going to do an image for it

Any confirmation that there will be a vix image for the zero? It's a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned.

No plans to support in the near future.

Rob van der Does
01-12-14, 07:05

That can be done with ANY Enigma 2 receiver LOL! Doesn't have to be a VU+.
Exactly!
Even more: when you plan to use this feature, you might be looking for the cheapest available E2-box. It even may have a faulty tuner or no tuner at all. Or look for the smart-TV app that has been created by one of our forum members.

Guy
01-12-14, 08:34
How do you stream to any other enigma device? Didn't know this was possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duoduo
01-12-14, 08:37
Remotestream converter plugin in the feeds.

Rob van der Does
01-12-14, 09:41
Remotestream converter plugin in the feeds.
.... for the use of remote tuners and mount the box to the main box to be able to watch recording.

Guy
01-12-14, 19:24
So the medi@link ixxus zero can be connected to my home network and share the free tuner of my VU duo via the Remotestreamconverter plugin via the VIX feeds?

Sicilian
01-12-14, 19:26
So the medi@link ixxus zero can be connected to my home network and share the free tuner of my VU duo via the Remotestreamconverter plugin via the VIX feeds?

Yes it can as can all Enigma 2 receivers.

Walt
01-12-14, 21:15
I'm very disappointed that vix won't be supporting the vu+ zero receiver. I've been waiting for vu+ to release a product at this price point as I like their remotes and build quality. Would you be prepared to reconsider this as i'm sure i'm not the only one who would like to use the best image on all of their receivers.

chaser
01-12-14, 21:34
No plans to support in the near future.

That's a real disappointment. Is there any particular reason for this decision?

Walt
03-12-14, 08:36
Could we have an answer to chasers question? It doesn't make sense to not support the entry level unit of the, arguably, best range of receivers.

Rob van der Does
03-12-14, 09:02
Simple answer is: as this is a (much time consuming) hobby, we only support hardware we like ourselves.

But I'm not sure if the reason makes any difference for any one?

Andy_Hazza
03-12-14, 09:02
There is a blackhole image out for this box, so surely ViX will follow suit? I'm looking for a bedroom satellite box, and always use Vu+ as they always deliver on good quality and I would like to think ViX would support this, pppllleeeaaassseee? lol :p

Sicilian
03-12-14, 09:04
At present we have no plans to support it.

Andy_Hazza
03-12-14, 09:05
Simple answer is: as this is a (much time consuming) hobby, we only support hardware we like ourselves.

Seriously? :attention:

Rob van der Does
03-12-14, 09:06
Yes .

Sicilian
03-12-14, 09:07
Seriously? :attention:

We cant support every model out there, we already have development on other models not even released yet.

Furthermore we haven't even received or been offered any dev units from VU+.

Anyway our decision stands, no support for the Zero at present.

Andy_Hazza
03-12-14, 09:08
What if we clubbed together and donated one to Team ViX; would this change the dev teams mind? :eek:

Sicilian
03-12-14, 09:10
What if we clubbed together and donated one to Team ViX; would this change the dev teams mind? :eek:

Sorry, no, no support for Zero at present.

Andy_Hazza
03-12-14, 09:11
Okie Dokie

^^COMPASS^^
03-12-14, 11:49
There is Image support for VU + Zero from
Openatv,
Vti,
Blackhole

Out of the three images above i would say at present Openatv is nearest you would get to a VIX image,
if my memory is correct they do a ViX-Night-HD Skin in their feeds.

Walt
03-12-14, 13:46

But I'm not sure if the reason makes any difference for any one?
Is the hardware different enough that it makes writing the image much more time consuming than simply porting the se version?

Rob van der Does
03-12-14, 13:53
We don't have the hardware, so we can't be sure and neither can we test.
But there's no relation with the 'SE version'.

Huevos
03-12-14, 15:03
Is the hardware different enough that it makes writing the image much more time consuming than simply porting the se version?It's not just a case of writing software. Images have to be built. This takes more than 24 hours on a super fast modern server when starting a new, uncached build. So it doesn't make any sense wasting valuable build server resources to create something that none of us have hardware to test.

chaser
03-12-14, 21:12
Does anyone know if the sponsor will be stocking this box? I will almost certainly be buying one as a replacement for an old closed source box that's currently sitting behind one of my wall mounted TVs. It's a pity that this will be my only E2 box that's not running VIX.

Regardless of the replies and public comments made by the VIX team, I sincerely hope that behind the scenes, the stance they have taken on this box is nothing more than a bit of posturing; similar to the stance taken with the Solo 2 in this old thread...

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?24276-ViX-image-for-Solo2&highlight=solo

^^COMPASS^^
03-12-14, 22:14
Does anyone know if the sponsor will be stocking this box? I will almost certainly be buying one as a replacement for an old closed source box that's currently sitting behind one of my wall mounted TVs.

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/VU/VU-Plus-Zero

chaser
03-12-14, 22:26
I could swear it wasn't there when I checked earlier! That's my Xmas pressie sorted.

^^COMPASS^^
03-12-14, 22:33
That's my Xmas pressie sorted.

I was thinking the same thing myself but on the other hand im tempted with this one

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Medialink/Medialink-Ixuss-Zero

chaser
03-12-14, 22:45
Yes. It's a nice box at a great price, but it's way too big for my needs and doesn't come with an external remote sensor option that I'm looking for.

Rob van der Does
04-12-14, 07:42
It's not just a case of writing software. Images have to be built. This takes more than 24 hours on a super fast modern server when starting a new, uncached build. So it doesn't make any sense wasting valuable build server resources to create something that none of us have hardware to test.
And on top of that: support is more then supplying an image.

Ev0
04-12-14, 11:44
And on top of that: support is more then supplying an image.

As WOS are now selling them, i'm sure there will be a Vix image soon, but if not, there is plenty of other images out there.

Larry-G
04-12-14, 14:21
As WOS are now selling them, i'm sure there will be a Vix image soon, but if not, there is plenty of other images out there.

We have decided for the time being that we are not going to offer support for this receiver that may change down the road, it may not, I am not going to speculate either way. Regardless of weather the sponsor sells them or not, we support plenty of receivers that he does not sell.

cactikid
04-05-15, 21:27
ah someone said not supported,think things have changed as now image in downloads:thumbsup: