PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] Swapfiles - location changed when using network share

Piranha
15-11-14, 16:31
I have 2x TM Twin - 1 in lounge, one in bedroom. Always have a Swapfile setup on each box. If I then install NFS share and mount each hard drive, works fine transferring recordings from one box to the other - until either box is rebooted.
Then the Swapfile locations become the media/AutoFS/sharename of the HDD in the other box, which has created many a CrossEPG scheduled download failure without my noticing until later.
Do not have any network shares set up at the moment, as I am obviously doing something wrong every time I have done so in the past.
I'm sure that network shares should work readily enough - could anyone point me to some in-depth material on NFS and CFIS shares setup, pros and cons (if any) as I want to get my head around this one?

Rob van der Does
15-11-14, 16:49
1) you boxes don't need a swap file, and creating one won't do any good
2) swapfiles should be on a local device, not on a network share

Piranha
15-11-14, 17:43
I didn't explain clearly enough! First of all, I thought that a swapfile was helpful (and has seemed to be the case) when downloading EPG data. Don't know where I got that from, but have always done so!
Secondly, I have been creating the Swapfiles local to each box, but, after a reboot, those locations have automatically found the swapfile on the other box.
So, if I now understand you correctly Rob - 1. I don't need a swapfile anyway on the TM Twins! 2. I should be able to setup network shares as before so that I can transfer recordings from one box to the other and vice versa?
Just seem to have had CrossEPG hang-ups during parsing summaries when I haven't had a swapfile created and activated in the past. Will give it a go this evening!
Thanks very much for your help.

Rob van der Does
15-11-14, 17:48
Cross creates a swapfile itself when needed. Give it a try, it should work.
Yes, you can set up mounts as you do. However there's no need to transfer files; you can watch (stream) files from one box to an other.

Piranha
15-11-14, 18:00
I do stream stuff from one box to the other TV (bi-directional) when i want to watch something that is not on the box in the room I am in at the time, but, to make it easier for my wife, I use the Menu/Copy > [destination] feature in the Movie List to put recordings into folders on whichever box my wife wants to view.
She is aware that she can stream recordings, but doesn't always manage to navigate to the right Network Share location - hence the reason I transfer!

Didn't know that CrossEPG created its own swap as required - you learn something new every day!

Many thanks!

Rob van der Does
15-11-14, 18:25
If you add the external mount as bookmark to recording locations, you can easily navigate there from the movie list using the 'Location'-button.