PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] Any guides on how to build your own VIX image

bsod
15-11-14, 04:08
Hi,

I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this. Apologies up front if it is not.

I have a DUO2 and I also have another Engigma2 based recorder that is pretty much local to Australia. It's from a Korean company called Beyonwiz, and it's called the T3. I've been told it's a derivative of a Venton Unibox HD. How much truth there is to that I do not know. The issue is that the local distributors have been modifying the firmware that much that most Enigma2 plugins simply crash now and we are completely reliant on them to fix it, but the seem to have their own agenda on how/when they address issues. So this has lead to a group on T3 owners wanting to do their own image. Some of the code shows signs they may have used OpenVIx as their source tree. So this got me and my friends wondering how hard is it to build a image based on an standard OpenVix sources.

I have gone over the forums on this board and could not find any information on how we would do this, so are their any guides on this?
We did find an OpenATV image for the T3, and it does work well, but their forums are mostly for non English speaking people and although they do have a English forum, it is not frequented that much.

So in short, are their any guides or could someone explain the steps needed to build an image based off OpenVix?

tia

Craig

DaMacFunkin
15-11-14, 08:23
As I understand it vix and openatv are sown from the same seed so it should be possible, only thing is your box might be in the grey area of it being cloned hardware, and that might stop you getting any help on this forum.

bsod
15-11-14, 13:26
Hi DaMacFunkin,

As far as I know it's not a clone, it is sold under it's own brand name, not masquerading as a VU+ or Dreambox. The Venton OpenVix firmware almost worked, the main issue with with the front panel, the firmware couldn't drive it. Somehow the OpenATV people managed to do it, but they may have worked out how to extract it from the firmware for the unit.

Well here's hoping someone with expertise in this area can offer some help. I run OpenVIX HD on my VU+ DUO2 and it would be wonderful to do the same on the T3.

Craig.

Larry-G
15-11-14, 14:20
Looking at some of the specs and pics of this receiver I have a feeling it's a OEM version of the now discontinued Vu+Ultimo or if not it's almost certainly based on it.

bsod
15-11-14, 15:05
Hi,

yes the specs do look very similar, as does the case. I'll give the Ultimo firmware a shot and see how it goes.

Craig

Larry-G
15-11-14, 15:11
Hi,

yes the specs do look very similar, as does the case. I'll give the Ultimo firmware a shot and see how it goes.

Craig

Dont try loading images onto your receiver that were not built for it, you could very easily end up with a expensive paperweight. I cant help with building a image for your receiver as I am not a developer but hopefully some one else can.

Larry-G
15-11-14, 15:15
p.s would you be so kind as to link me to the forum where these users you referenced in post one are based ? I am a bit of a forum whore and would like to read some more about this receiver and it's images etc.

Many thanks.

Sicilian
15-11-14, 15:19
The Beyonwiz is another OEM of the Atemio Nemesis, Golden Interstar LX3 and Miraclebox Ultra (coming soon).

Larry-G
15-11-14, 15:22
The Beyonwiz is another OEM of the Atemio Nemesis, Golden Interstar LX3 and Miraclebox Ultra (coming soon).

I thought it looked familiar, although I have only ever seen pictures of the LX3. Thanks for the confirmation Sic.

bsod
16-11-14, 07:20
p.s would you be so kind as to link me to the forum where these users you referenced in post one are based ? I am a bit of a forum whore and would like to read some more about this receiver and it's images etc.

Many thanks.

Hi Pheonix,

The Beyonwiz user forums URL is http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/forum/. I have a suspicion the forums are geo-locked so you may need to use a proxy of some sort. One of the OpenATV devs mentioned that to me.

Also, I suspect most of the users on the forum seem to be oblivious to the existence of other Enigma2 systems and potentially alternate firmware for the T3. Your presence may not be welcomed by some such as the Oz devs who from what I can tell aren't feeding back to the OE community. I suspect this because there have been a number of fixes done on the T3 firmware that don't seem to be making it back into the OE Alliance builds, whether that be OpenVIX, OpenVIXHD, OpenATV, and so on.

I am also pretty sure the T3 is based of the Unibox HD3. The specs match up and front and back panels look identical. From what we understand the VFD is not the same though which is why the Venton HD3 image doesn't work. Not sure how OpenATA managed to get a working image up, but this is something we would like to do ourselves based on OpenVIX. Some of the fixes done by the Oz devs have improved the stability of the box enormously, but seemingly at the expense of some plugin compatibility. EPGRefresh is a classic example, where pressing Yellow in the UI causes the eniga2 to crash. It doesn't on the T3 using OpenATV.

Anyway thanks for the replies. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction to start our own attempts.

Regards,

Craig

Larry-G
16-11-14, 07:25
Hi Pheonix,

The Beyonwiz user forums URL is http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/forum/. I have a suspicion the forums are geo-locked so you may need to use a proxy of some sort. One of the OpenATV devs mentioned that to me.

Also, I suspect most of the users on the forum seem to be oblivious to the existence of other Enigma2 systems and potentially alternate firmware for the T3. Your presence may not be welcomed by some such as the Oz devs who from what I can tell aren't feeding back to the OE community. I suspect this because there have been a number of fixes done on the T3 firmware that don't seem to be making it back into the OE Alliance builds, whether that be OpenVIX, OpenVIXHD, OpenATV, and so on.

I am also pretty sure the T3 is based of the Unibox HD3. The specs match up and front and back panels look identical. From what we understand the VFD is not the same though which is why the Venton HD3 image doesn't work. Not sure how OpenATA managed to get a working image up, but this is something we would like to do ourselves based on OpenVIX. Some of the fixes done by the Oz devs have improved the stability of the box enormously, but seemingly at the expense of some plugin compatibility. EPGRefresh is a classic example, where pressing Yellow in the UI causes the eniga2 to crash. It doesn't on the T3 using OpenATV.

Anyway thanks for the replies. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction to start our own attempts.

Regards,

Craig

Thanks for the URL, I signed up there yesterday read a few posts and made a few of my own, only to come on this morning and see the message that I have been permanently IP banned from the forum. god only knows why as my half dozen or so posts were just helping users.

Unfortunately if they are not open to others offering assistance and helping out then there is little to nothing we can do bout it, I do get the feeling over there that they are selling these receivers and the OS as their own invention and they are purposely avoiding any reference to enigma2 for some strange reason, which for a supposedly opensource platform is just insane.

bsod
16-11-14, 13:04
Ahh, well I am glad we (as in our little collective) aren't the only ones with this impression. I really can't understand their reasoning either, esp since they advertise the fact it's an open source system! This is the point of our frustration, hence the request on any info on how we can

1. Do our own builds
2. Submit any fixes back to the Open Alliance so all can benefit from then. Some of us have already started work on some Australian specific code and general optimisations.

It's a real pity because they have addressed a number of issues the current builds still suffer from, and I don't understand why they don't seem to be contributing back, esp since the GIT tree they have indicates it's sourced from OpenVIX. I also notice that on the T3 info screens there is no mention of OpenVIX at all, which is disappointing seeing it seems it is based off it and it is clear from this site that although you don't support all receivers and anyone is free to use your GIT tree, you do expect them to at least acknowledge the OS is based off OpenVIX, which they have not. :mad:

If you like we can see if we can get your account unblocked, a friend knows one of the moderators. PM me if you would like it unblocked and if your IP is static or not.

Regards,

Craig

Larry-G
16-11-14, 13:13
Ahh, well I am glad we (as in our little collective) aren't the only ones with this impression. I really can't understand their reasoning either, esp since they advertise the fact it's an open source system! This is the point of our frustration, hence the request on any info on how we can

1. Do our own builds
2. Submit any fixes back to the Open Alliance so all can benefit from then. Some of us have already started work on some Australian specific code and general optimisations.

It's a real pity because they have addressed a number of issues the current builds still suffer from, and I don't understand why they don't seem to be contributing back, esp since the GIT tree they have indicates it's sourced from OpenVIX. I also notice that on the T3 info screens there is no mention of OpenVIX at all, which is disappointing seeing it seems it is based off it and it is clear from this site that although you don't support all receivers and anyone is free to use your GIT tree, you do expect them to at least acknowledge the OS is based off OpenVIX, which they have not. :mad:

If you like we can see if we can get your account unblocked, a friend knows one of the moderators. PM me if you would like it unblocked and if your IP is static or not.

Regards,

Craig

Well I am currently in discussion with one of the Admin staff over there to see if they can white list my IP address for access to their forum, I can still connect via my phone but thats a pain in the arse and I really cant be bothered to faff on with proxies just to access a forum that deals with "Open source" software which is for some insane reason GOE locked.

as for building your own ViX image, I really wish I could help you with that but it's not really my area of expertise so I cant really help. I did see a post over there saying they are releasing their "SDK" or as the rest of the world would call it the make file to allow users to build their own versions of the factory image they use.

bsod
16-11-14, 13:20
Fully understand Pheonix. Thanks for your assistance anyway. Was much appreciated.

Craig

Larry-G
16-11-14, 13:27
In theory it should be quite easy to support these receivers in the OE-Alliance as we already produce a image for the Xpeed LX3 which is basically the same receiver. I know the guys on the beyonwiz forum may not want to get involved with other third party images seeing as they are producing their own factory image but these are opensource enigma2 based images so those who know what they are doing (Sadly I am not one of them), should be able to guide you.

Larry-G
16-11-14, 13:30
In theory it should be quite easy to support these receivers in the OE-Alliance as we already produce a image for the Xpeed LX3 which is basically the same receiver. I know the guys on the beyonwiz forum may not want to get involved with other third party images seeing as they are producing their own factory image but these are opensource enigma2 based images so those who know what they are doing (Sadly I am not one of them), should be able to guide you.

Also if you know what changes were made by ATV for these receivers it may be a way to get a ViX LX3 image running on it unofficially as ATV is built on the ViX Core so retains a greater deal of compatibility with us than we do with Pli for example.

Larry-G
16-11-14, 13:34
Looking on the ATV download site, the Beyonwiz T3 is officially supported with nightly builds. so if you can setup a build environment it should not be too hard to build a ViX image (unofficially) as we all use the same OE core. sorry I cant really be of more help but I am more than a little out of my depth here on this.

bsod
16-11-14, 13:50
Thanks Pheonix,

I'll get back in touch with the OpenATV person and see if they can assist. One thing I am slightly confused about is your reference to the Exspeed LX3. I just looked at the specs to that and they don't really match the T3 at all. The Venton HD3 is what we were told it was based off and it certainly matches that spec and looks wise. We have heard rumour of a T4 and the specs of the LX3 would seem more in line with the T4 (dual core 1.3Ghz), the t3 has dual core mips 400Mhz CPU. We also think your account on the BW forums is open again, so if you feel inclined give it a shot.

Once again, thanks for all your assistance.

Regards,

Craig

IanSav
22-09-16, 04:41
Hi Larry-G,

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread.

I am one of the developers for the Beyonwiz T Series (T2, T3 and T4). I have created the OverlayHD skin and contribute other fixes and enhancements to the build.

We are currently working on a new firmware update that is takes significant input from the OpenVIX upstream feed update. Up until this recent work I was unaware that so much code came from OpenVIX. I would like to know how to go about contributing some of my code changes (fixes and enhancements) directly to OpenVIX.

I would also like to know if there is any chance that OpenVIX might release and host Beyonwiz builds. Such builds would allow Beyonwiz users to experience OpenVIX directly.

I welcome any guidance and advice you or others may care to offer.

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
22-09-16, 05:17
Hi,

With regard to my request of OpenVIX images on Beyonwiz hardware, I should also add that without access to OpenVIX images on my Beyonwiz hardware I won't be able to properly test my code submissions. I should be able to work around this with a testing partner but direct testing would be better.

Regards,
Ian.

Sicilian
22-09-16, 06:23
Please pm me your Skype contact. Let's see what we can do together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

birdman
22-09-16, 13:06
I have gone over the forums on this board and could not find any information on how we would do this, so are their any guides on this?Here are my notes and the two scripts I use (updater and builder).
You can ignore the second half of the info file (the bit about building just enigma2 on Debian). You'll also have to change the paths (it forces everything to be under /var/tmp/OpenVix-build so that I don't try to build it when I'm just looking at it), and it builds for an mbtwin (machine=).

Larry-G
22-09-16, 13:51
Hi Larry-G,

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread.

I am one of the developers for the Beyonwiz T Series (T2, T3 and T4). I have created the OverlayHD skin and contribute other fixes and enhancements to the build.

We are currently working on a new firmware update that is takes significant input from the OpenVIX upstream feed update. Up until this recent work I was unaware that so much code came from OpenVIX. I would like to know how to go about contributing some of my code changes (fixes and enhancements) directly to OpenVIX.

I would also like to know if there is any chance that OpenVIX might release and host Beyonwiz builds. Such builds would allow Beyonwiz users to experience OpenVIX directly.

I welcome any guidance and advice you or others may care to offer.

Regards,
Ian.

Sorry Ian buddy but I am no longer a part of the ViX team and as such there is nothing I can do to help you. In fact my involvement would be more a hindrance than a help. I cant even get these guys to change my password refresh time from 30 days to 90 let alone help setup a working relationship between developers.

I will say this though, I did try numerous times here and directly on the beyonwiz forum (my forum name would have been some thing like pheonix as thats the user name I used here at the time) to strike up a working relationship two years ago and no one from either side of the fence showed any particular interest in working together. (The beyonwiz guys were particularly hostile when ever I mentioned ViX)

I wish you good luck with your project and hope it has the outcome you desire.

Larry.

IanSav
23-09-16, 05:47
Hi Sicilian,

Please pm me your Skype contact. Let's see what we can do together.
I no longer have a Skype account after having some issues with Microsoft "accidentally" deleting my accounts. It is a long story but I won't be creating a new Skype account any time soon.

I keep a window open on IRC, have VoIP access as well as E-Mail.

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
23-09-16, 05:53
Hi Larry,

Sorry Ian buddy but I am no longer a part of the ViX team and as such there is nothing I can do to help you. In fact my involvement would be more a hindrance than a help. I cant even get these guys to change my password refresh time from 30 days to 90 let alone help setup a working relationship between developers.

I will say this though, I did try numerous times here and directly on the beyonwiz forum (my forum name would have been some thing like pheonix as thats the user name I used here at the time) to strike up a working relationship two years ago and no one from either side of the fence showed any particular interest in working together. (The beyonwiz guys were particularly hostile when ever I mentioned ViX)

I wish you good luck with your project and hope it has the outcome you desire.
I remember you on the Beyonwiz forum and very much regret the poor treatment you were afforded. :(

I too have problems getting things done on the Beyonwiz. Now knowing that they draw from OpenVIX means that if my suggestions are accepted here then they should eventually make it into the Beyonwiz build. ;)

Sorry that you aren't active here any more but thank you for responding. :)

Regards,
Ian.

Larry-G
23-09-16, 08:20
No worries mate. It would be nice to see more co-operation between ViX and bewonwiz you have some very talented coders in your team who I genuinely believe could inject a new life and many new features into enigma2 for all users to enjoy.

Im saddened That I can't help as it's a project I tried very hard to establish between two teams who should be closer but for their own reasons neither seemed interested in helping one another. I really hope you get the results your looking for.

rossi2000
23-09-16, 13:29
i think we already build some of the beyondwiz machines, they are ini machines aren't they?

Sicilian
23-09-16, 13:47
i think we already build some of the beyondwiz machines, they are ini machines aren't they?

Yes some ini machines.

IanSav
23-09-16, 16:14
Hi Guys,

I only have a T3 and a T4. What information can I get to help you identify the exact hardware / drivers required?

Here are the Information screens from both boxes:
Beyonwiz T3 (I think this was based on one of the Venton HDx boxes.)

Beyonwiz T4 (I think this was based on one of the Atemio boxes - maybe something like the NEMESIS.)

Regards,
Ian.

birdman
23-09-16, 19:08
Hmmm... My (OpenVix) MBTwin has the same chipset, the same CPU, same core count and is running the same kernel version as the T3.

Larry-G
23-09-16, 19:25
Hmmm... My (OpenVix) MBTwin has the same chipset, the same CPU, same core count and is running the same kernel version as the T3.

because it's the same box. There are if I remember correctly three OEM versions the twin and T3 plus one other.

IanSav
23-09-16, 19:26
Hi Birdman,

I think issues may arise in differences of the front panels and hence drivers used by the Beyonwiz. There are probably other driver issues that make uncalculated firmware swaps very risky.

I know that OpenATV make daily builds for all the Beyonwiz models so the information must be out there.

Regards,
Ian.

Larry-G
23-09-16, 21:31
Hi Birdman,

I think issues may arise in differences of the front panels and hence drivers used by the Beyonwiz. There are probably other driver issues that make uncalculated firmware swaps very risky.

I know that OpenATV make daily builds for all the Beyonwiz models so the information must be out there.

Regards,
Ian.

Yes that was the reason I was given when I first broached the idea of supporting the T3 two years ago.

well one of them.

IanSav
24-09-16, 07:11
Hi Larry,

Yes that was the reason I was given when I first broached the idea of supporting the T3 two years ago.
My hope is we can identify the small differences and then a standard production of Beyonwiz images can become automatic.

In the mean time I hope I can find a development partner in the OpenVIX community to help me make contributions and code change tests to the OpenVIX repository.

Regards,
Ian.

Sicilian
24-09-16, 07:33
iirc there are different branches and drivers for beyonwiz. @ISOz drop me a pm with your contact details.

IanSav
24-09-16, 14:12
Hi Sicilian,

@ISOz drop me a pm with your contact details.
PM Sent. :)

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
29-09-16, 05:09
Hi Sicilian,

Hi Sicilian,

PM Sent. :)

Regards,
Ian.
Did you get enough contact information?

Regards,
Ian.

Sicilian
29-09-16, 05:19
Yes sorry, been side tracked trying to resolve other issues with our feeds server.

IanSav
29-09-16, 05:22
Hi Sicilian,

Yes sorry, been side tracked trying to resolve other issues with our feeds server.
No problems. I thought my reply had been lost.

Get back to me when you are free. :)

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
10-10-16, 18:31
Hi Sicilian,

Do you have any news or updates for me?

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
28-10-16, 17:08
Hi Sicilian,

Is there any chance of someone creating a Beyonwiz build of the OpenViX firmware for me. (I would like a build for my development T3 though builds for the T2, T3 and T4 would be good.)

I would like to test my code on OpenViX directly so that I can look at making pull requests for fixes and changes into the OpenViX repository. (I test my code on the Beyonwiz firmware but would like to ensure correct and proper operation on OpenViX.)

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
04-11-16, 18:46
Hi Sicilian,

*BUMP*

Regards,
Ian.

Sicilian
04-11-16, 19:00
I'll drop you a pm over the weekend.

IanSav
04-11-16, 19:05
Thank you! :)

IanSav
21-11-16, 06:02
Hi Sicilian,

*BUMP*

Regards,
Ian.

Huevos
21-11-16, 09:14
What is the boxname?

IanSav
21-11-16, 09:23
Hi Huevos,

What is the boxname?
There are currently three Beyonwiz boxes using Enigma. They are the Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz T3 and Beyonwiz T4. I have a Beyonwiz T3 that I will allocate to OpenViX development.

The T3 and T4 info screens have been posted above. I don't have access to a T2.

Regards,
Ian.

bbbuk
21-11-16, 09:32
Indeed if openATV do daily builds for it then it will have to be on github.

If you could flash an ATV image, then telnet in and type:

cat /etc/image-versionThis tells you name of Machine which I hope is the Boxname that Huevos asked for but I could be wrong!

IanSav
21-11-16, 09:41
Hi Bbbuk,

Indeed if openATV do daily builds for it then it will have to be on github.

If you could flash an ATV image, then telnet in and type:

cat /etc/image-versionThis tells you name of Machine which I hope is the Boxname that Huevos asked for but I could be wrong!
Thak you for the assistance. This is the info from my T3 currently running OpenATV:
root@beyonwizt3:~# cat /etc/image-version
box_type=beyonwizt3
build_type=0
version=5.3
build=0
date=20160630000821
comment=openATV
target=9
creator=openATV
url=http://www.opena.tv
catalog=http://www.opena.tv
root@beyonwizt3:~#
This is the data from my development T3 running the latest alpha version of the next firmware release:
root@beyonwizt3:~# cat /etc/image-version
box_type=beyonwizt3
build_type=0
version=16.1
build=20161110
date=20161110184811
comment=Beyonwiz
target=9
creator=openEasyGUI
url=http://www.beyonwiz.com.au
catalog=http://www.beyonwiz.com.au
root@beyonwizt3:~#
Is there any other information people would like me to provide?

Regards,
Ian.

IanSav
21-11-16, 12:33
Hi,

By the way, the alpha build is for the next production release of the native Beyonwiz firmware.

Regards,
Ian.