PDA

View Full Version : Recording issue causing marital problems - PLEASE HELP

supathug
29-11-10, 13:57
Hi All,

Im on VIX 1.2 currently and seem to have a strange issue with recordings when I've set up a timer to record a program and then another that starts directly after it on the same channel.

The issue is that the second program will not record at all. The relevant files are created on my NAS (im recording to a CIFS share) for the program info etc, but the .ts file gets no larger than around 300k.

We have a timer set up to record Eastenders on a Tuesday which is directly before Holby City. There is a 5 minute buffer each side of the recording which I thought might be the cause of the issue, but TBH - it shouldnt be as I have a fixed 28.2 sat and another motorised so in theory, if that was the issue it would just use the other sat to record.

Mrs Supa has threatened to take a hammer to the DUO as she is missing Holby every week so I am getting worried LOL. Is anyone else having a similar problem?

pooface
29-11-10, 14:13
Put your foot down, and tell her it's a rubbish program, so stop moaning :p hehe...

Seriously though, it could actually be that 5 minute buffer... What's happening is, it starts the record of eastenders, then 5 minutes before it finishes, it creates a 2nd recording of exactly the same thing. However, you gotta remember it's sending all this recording over the network. It might well be that either your network isn't fast enough to handle it, or the fact of the cifs share isn't able to handle it... I can't help, as I've never done a cifs share. If you could get an internet sata (or an e-sata) driver to check it against, it would rule that out as the problem (or point that it is the problem)...

Sicilian
29-11-10, 14:35
sounds like an issue with the CIFS share/network. Seen the samething before using CIFS with a Nokia Dbox2, it start then fails.

supathug
29-11-10, 14:42
Guys - im sure ive seen the same issue though when recording to HDD. Ive got a 100mb network and I've been pulling HD content down from my NAS to my media player whilst recording to the NAS from the DUO with no problems so I dunno if speed/NAS is the issue. What I'll do though is set the timer for Holby to record to HDD instead of CIFS and see if that sorts the problem. Here's hoping (for the DUOs sake at least).....

DrProzac
02-12-10, 00:06
Not quiet the same, but I record The Appentice on BBC1HD then the Your Fired on BBC2.
The Apprentice is recorded via the fixed dish, and the BBC one the motor spins round to get the Your Fired as the 5 minute buffer on the end of the program and 3 minute on start of program would make them clash

You could always try recording Holby on BBC1 instead of BBC1HD or are you already doing this?
Other option is too try recording on on BBC1HD and the other on a regional variation of BBC1

BTW I'm using internal HDD

supathug
03-12-10, 14:12
Hey guys,

Just a heads up that the I put the holby recording onto HDD instead on the CIFS share and it recorded fine. I might try what the poster above has said and switch it to BBCHD instead of BBC1 and see if that helps. Thanks for all your help!

pooface
03-12-10, 14:40
Hey guys,

Just a heads up that the I put the holby recording onto HDD instead on the CIFS share and it recorded fine. I might try what the poster above has said and switch it to BBCHD instead of BBC1 and see if that helps. Thanks for all your help!

Yes, give that a go, and make sure you record both to the cifs share... This should then let us know whether it is the cifs share that is the problem (which I am guessing it is ;)). But, just make sure you do it when it's not something she really wants to keep, just in case! Don't want the marital issues to arise again ;) hehe

supathug
07-12-10, 21:32
ok - FYI - Holby recording failed on VIX 1.3 - holby was set to record to HDD and Eastenders to the CIFS share. Both are programmed in using autotimer. Will try another example as pooface has suggested above.

pooface
09-12-10, 14:41
ok - FYI - Holby recording failed on VIX 1.3 - holby was set to record to HDD and Eastenders to the CIFS share. Both are programmed in using autotimer. Will try another example as pooface has suggested above.

Did you get any further luck? What happens if you set both to record to the local hdd?

supathug
09-12-10, 22:35
Im gonna try on a recording tonight and have a look. As an experiment, ill record 2 programs back to back (one to nas, one to cifs) and 2 others, both to HDD to see what happens.

pooface
09-12-10, 22:53
out of interst, do you have any hdd internal to the vu duo?

supathug
10-12-10, 09:31
Hi Mate - Yes - I do have an internal HDD. Recordings failed again today but this time I think its because of a time issue I've got. For some reason the clock on the DUO is an hour behind and I cant change it. I am definately on GMT settings. I'll look around for other posts for people who may be experiencing the same problem or start a new thread.

supathug
10-12-10, 10:17
Ok pooface - I've sorted the clock issue so recordings should now work. Ive set up the following timers (screendump attached). The first 2 are going to the HDD and the second 2 are going to the NAS. I have 2 sats so it shouldnt be a problem that some of them overlap. As of writing I can confirm the first recording has started to record to the HDD.

pooface
10-12-10, 10:32
Ok pooface - I've sorted the clock issue so recordings should now work. Ive set up the following timers (screendump attached). The first 2 are going to the HDD and the second 2 are going to the NAS. I have 2 sats so it shouldnt be a problem that some of them overlap. As of writing I can confirm the first recording has started to record to the HDD.

Let's see how it goes then :)

One other quick question (might've been asnwered before, apologies if had), how is the duo connected to network? Does it go directly in to the router? Or is it wireless? Or do you use homeplugs?

CHeers

supathug
10-12-10, 11:07
Hey Dude - the duo is plugged directly into a 100mpbs netgear router which is in turn connected to my NAS via a CAT 6 cable that runs upstairs to my home office into another 100mbps switch. The NAS is also plugged into this switch. The nas is an LG-N2R1 serving out a CIFS share mounted on the duo as /media/net/recordings

supathug
10-12-10, 11:10
Ok - Just to confirm - the second recording - Brit Cops - Law and Disorder has started to record to the HDD and seems to be ok. The filesize is increasing every time I refresh.

supathug
10-12-10, 12:19
ok - the 3rd recording CSI - has started to record to the NAS and looks to be increasing in size. Both HDD recordings look to have completed successfully

pooface
10-12-10, 13:16
ok - the 3rd recording CSI - has started to record to the NAS and looks to be increasing in size. Both HDD recordings look to have completed successfully

OK, looks like we're just waiting to see whether the 4th recording records to the nas at the same time as the 3rd recording... If (as I suspect) it don't, goes to show it's a nas problem :p

supathug
10-12-10, 13:37
ok - the fourth CSI is also working and recording to the NAS! Ok - so this tells me absolutely nothing as to why eastenders and holby arent recording LOL. I can only think of a few things to try next - possibly record 2 things on BBC1, the channel the 2 programs are on. Would that make a difference? I also set these timers manually as opposed to via autotimer which is how the eastenders/holby combo is programmed. Is it worth programming via that instead?

pooface
10-12-10, 14:01
ok - the fourth CSI is also working and recording to the NAS! Ok - so this tells me absolutely nothing as to why eastenders and holby arent recording LOL. I can only think of a few things to try next - possibly record 2 things on BBC1, the channel the 2 programs are on. Would that make a difference? I also set these timers manually as opposed to via autotimer which is how the eastenders/holby combo is programmed. Is it worth programming via that instead?

Worth a try... Also, could be to do with the bitrate... I think that bravo is quite a low bitrate compared to bbc. So, if bbc has a bitrate of, e.g. 5000kbps, and bravo only has one of 2500, then recording two programs at same time on bravo would be sending only the same amount of data as the 1 program on bbc (as an example). I would definitely say try recording 2 programs off bbc1 hd so that they overlap, or bbc1 hd and itv1 hd at the same time... Try first to the local hdd, and then to the nas...

supathug
10-12-10, 14:06
k - will give it a whirl and report back

supathug
10-12-10, 14:13
Right - ive set up the following 2 timers (attached) to the NAS on BBC1 SD programmed manually. Lets see what happens. Cant record to BBC1 HD because its not tuned in properly yet. Hopefully because im having issues with BBC1 anyway, if its the bitrate as you suggest we should see the same issue.

pooface
10-12-10, 14:27
Right - ive set up the following 2 timers (attached) to the NAS on BBC1 SD programmed manually. Lets see what happens. Cant record to BBC1 HD because its not tuned in properly yet. Hopefully because im having issues with BBC1 anyway, if its the bitrate as you suggest we should see the same issue.

Not sure whether the bitrate would be as high as eastenders and holby, which is why I suggested the hd approach, as that would be higher bitrate anyway, so hopefully will eliminate/blame this :p

supathug
10-12-10, 14:35
ok - shall I do 2 things on ITV1 HD?

supathug
10-12-10, 15:14
Ok - 2 recordings programmed in to the NAS off E4 HD. Now that should be the acid test! BTW - the 2 BBC1 programs recorded fine to the NAS.

supathug
10-12-10, 16:39
OK Both recordings off E4 HD have recorded ok too! This is absolutely crazy! What now pooface. Shall I just let the Mrs put a hammer to the box?

DrProzac
10-12-10, 17:44
What BBC Region are you recording off?

supathug
10-12-10, 18:28
BBC East midlands

pooface
10-12-10, 19:05
BBC East midlands

Same one as what I use :p Never had any probs here :p