PDA

View Full Version : mutant v solo2

fast65
11-11-14, 19:55
hi
just wondering how this new receiver compares with Solo2 which I have and I think it is an excellent box. However my son is looking to buy a new box. i have recommended the Solo2 but has the Mutant moved further forward technology wise making it a better investment long term. I see that it is already well supported

regards

DaMacFunkin
11-11-14, 20:22
For starts the solo2 has 2 fixed dvb-s2 tuners, the mutant can mix and match between 4 s2/T2/c tuners, processor wise they are both the same.

rossi2000
11-11-14, 20:26
mutants processor is better than the solo2.

its the same or thereabouts the power of a et10000, duo2

Andy_Hazza
11-11-14, 20:56
Vu+ will always win on quality though

Sicilian
11-11-14, 21:27
Vu+ will always win on quality though

Don't agree with you, do you personally own or have you used the HD2400?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsw9154
11-11-14, 22:03
The mutant is priced competitively with the LX3 and probably performs similarly but the LX3 CAN USE BOTH 2.5" AND 3.5" Hard Drives, I have tried my LX3 with the 3TB Drive from my Duo2 and the LX3 worked perfectly so I have no need to change,but if I ever needed another receiver i would try the Mutant

just noticed Sicilian that you do not list the LX3 in your receivers did you change it for the Mutant :)

rico_3000
11-11-14, 22:18
Just got a mut@nt and very impressed super fast and the support is 5*

Sicilian
12-11-14, 08:38
just noticed Sicilian that you do not list the LX3 in your receivers did you change it for the Mutant :)

Switched to the Mut@nt HD2400, never looked back. Using with 1x Satellite and 3x Hybrid plug & play tuners, nothing else offers this apart from ET10K which is massively over priced. Support is excellent too, cant find any drivers issues as yet.

bobonthejob
12-11-14, 10:19
LX3 not in favor now Sic?

premiumtaste
12-11-14, 10:44
I hear that there is a security board built in the mutant which controls the booting.
can anyone confirm?

premiumtaste
12-11-14, 10:46

mann
12-11-14, 10:48
Although solo 2 has fixed tuners it has usb tuner options.
Vu solo2 is a quality box that will rarely let you down.It has great processor speed and not to big of a box.
It will run most images with great speed and efficiency especially Vix image they go together very well.
Solo2 will always hold its value as well for resale and it is very well supported here and elsewhere.
I have not tried the mutant but looking at the specs would expect it to perform as well as the solo2.

rossi2000
12-11-14, 11:14
The et10000 is massively overpriced by retailers in the uk. In EU they are a reasonable price.

Sicilian
12-11-14, 13:14
LX3 not in favor now Sic?

Thats a decent unit too, I wanted the option for 4 PLUG AND PLAY tuners without having any embedded. Hence 1x Sat and 3x Hybrid.

nsw9154
12-11-14, 13:37
One thing that I was wondering dose the Mutant use the same tuners as the LX3 or are they specifically for the Mutant, as I am getting more intrigued the more that I read (hey that rimed) :D

Sicilian
12-11-14, 15:47
One thing that I was wondering dose the Mutant use the same tuners as the LX3 or are they specifically for the Mutant, as I am getting more intrigued the more that I read (hey that rimed) :D

No, different tuner modules.

cristo4
23-11-14, 15:51
Can you please tell us about the sensitivity of the sat tuner of the Mutant on the weak signals? Compared to Vu duo2/solo2 sat tuners?

fast65
23-11-14, 20:13
thanks for replies everyone. Think he is going to go with solo2. Great receiver and great support

regards

degoosefish
23-11-14, 23:59
This thread has got me excited I am treating myself to a new stb from Santa for me to me scenario the Mutant looks like the winner for me all positive feedback on here cheers

Sicilian
24-11-14, 07:57
This thread has got me excited I am treating myself to a new stb from Santa for me to me scenario the Mutant looks like the winner for me all positive feedback on here cheers

You won't be disappointed :thumbsup:

degoosefish
24-11-14, 20:22
Lads one more thing this could be a deal breaker for the Mut@nt is the remote control universal the missus would do her nut if I had to get the old remote out to turn on telly:confused:

ukbob
24-11-14, 21:20
Another question re the Mutant HD 2400 remote...
I see the remote is re-chargeable via usb port.
Is it a sealed unit,or can i take batteries out and re-charge in my own charger?
I'll more than likely be ordering one from wos shop tomorrow...

Sicilian
25-11-14, 08:10
Lads one more thing this could be a deal breaker for the Mut@nt is the remote control universal the missus would do her nut if I had to get the old remote out to turn on telly:confused:

Not universal, but Harmony remote works better than any universal remote supplied with receivers, can be bought for around £30 online.

Sicilian
25-11-14, 08:16
Another question re the Mutant HD 2400 remote...
I see the remote is re-chargeable via usb port.
Is it a sealed unit,or can i take batteries out and re-charge in my own charger?
I'll more than likely be ordering one from wos shop tomorrow...

Its not a sealed unit, but battery has to be charged in the remote via OTG USB cable such as some mobiles use. I've had mine for month or two now, never charged it from new.

rico_3000
26-11-14, 10:21
I bought the harmony touch like Sicilian adviced above and loving the touch screen remote. It replaced at my remotes even the living room lights I can turn on and off with this remote :D

ukbob
26-11-14, 12:29
I bought the Mutant HD 2400 to replace my tired Vu Duo..

nsw9154
12-12-14, 17:01
Well I bit the Bullet and bought a Mut@nt from the sponsors and it arrived yesterday so I am still playing around with it, and I have to say that it's a nice receiver

I also like the lay out of the remote control it's just the right size so that you can operate it with one hand most of the time, and I was presently surprise at how uncluttered and clean the inside was when I went to fit the Hard Drive, and talking about the HD the fitting is rather unconventional as that the sata connection is embedded in to the motherboard but it seems to work rather well
you have to unscrew the backing mount then screw the Hard Drive to the backing mount then plug in the Hard Drive and then fasten the backing mount back in place
make sure that the Hard Drive is aligned up correctly or it will not fasten back down easy sorted, I rather like it and is a nice touch

only one thing that I have noticed is that my cable signal only goes up to about 54% on most channels where as my LX3 signal is at 99% but the picture seems ok so,so far so good

39189 39190 39191

roy0110
12-12-14, 18:31
has xbmc arrived for the mut@nt yet?
they said it was coming in november.

rossi2000
12-12-14, 18:55
there was an alpha build posted a few days ago

nsw9154
12-12-14, 19:46
Their is a revue posted on the forum about the xbmc feature but it dose not seem to work very well

nsw9154
16-12-14, 20:23
Well I have had my Mut@nt for about 5 days now and I am very pleased with it but one thing I must ask about the Cable tuners

is their any benefit in having more than one cable fixed for the 4 tuners, I have tried various configurations as I decided to attach 2 cables, one cable to tuner 1 and looped to tuner 2 then the second cable connected to tuner 3 looped to tuner 4 seemed to work ok, but if I disconnect the second cable the signal drops and the picture freezes :confused:
so I tried connecting tuner's 1&4 and looping the rest from tuner 1 and I still lost the signal if i disconnected tuner 4's cable

so i set tuner 4 to "nothing connected" and I could not get a signal even with the other 2 cables connected to tuner's 1&2 but if I plug a cable in to tuner 4 even a loop cable, even though it is set to nothing connected I get the signal back and the signal is the same 50 to 54% no mater how many cables I have connected :confused: and I was going to fit 4 cables looks like I only need 1 :eek:

Rob van der Does
16-12-14, 22:26
There should be no issue looping through cables for cable signal. Signal strength will drop a bit, but it's signal quality that you should look at.

nsw9154
16-12-14, 22:56
Thank's Rob that is what I thought, connecting my LX3 with the same cable I get 99% SNR but on the Mutant I only get 50/54% so I am not sure if it is the 4 way splitter that I am using as it seems the same no mater what output I use for either receivers
my splitter is 5-1000 MHZ would a higher value make it better or worse as I have seen splitters with a value of 5-2400 MHZ, so should I try one at that value

nearly forgot to mention thats why I thought 2 cables might be better as I will only have 1 loop through per cable so the signal should be stronger

maxben
16-12-14, 23:19
Are your tuners hybrid C and T2 ?

If so the following information may or may not be useful or relevant.

I read the following on a German forum which I dare not post the link to here, it is referring to the the AX Quadbox HD2400 which is the same hardware as the Mutant just a different badge.

Du kannst die Box auch mit 2x Sat und 2x hybrid Tuner bestellen, von daher kein Problem. Nur 4x hybrid Tuner geht nicht, da kann Tuner 4 nur DVB-C sein.

Hier nochmal der Hinweis Text von dem Sat Shop, wo ich bestellt habe.

(*) Hinweis:*es werden max. 3x DVB-C/T2 Tuner unterstützt, daher ist das Angebot mit 4x C-Tuner so eingestellt das 3x ein Hybrid-Tuner (DVB-C/T2) geliefert wird und der 4. Tuner nur ein DVB-C Tuner ist (oder man nimmt die Variation mit 4x DVB-C Tuner, dann allerdings keine Hybrid-Tuner die auch DVB-T/T2 unterstützen würden) !

Google translate:

You can use the box with 2x satellite and 2x hybrid tuner order, therefore no problem. Only 4x hybrid tuner is not because tuner 4 can only DVB-C.

Here again, the text of the satellite shop where I ordered.

(*) Note: * there are max. 3x DVB-C / T2 tuner support, therefore, the one offering 4x C tuner is set to the 3x a hybrid tuner (DVB-C / T2) is supplied and the 4th tuner is a DVB-C tuner (or one takes the variation with 4x DVB-C tuner, but then no hybrid tuners would also support DVB-T / T2)!

Which I take to read

2 x S2 and 2 x C/T2 hybrid ok, which is what I have.

3 x hybrid and 1 x sat ok

3 x hybrid and 1 x dedicated C tuner ok

4 x sat ok

4 x dedicated C tuners ok

4 x hybrid not ok

I read somewhere else (can't remember where) This issue is down to hardware addressing evidently.

Rob van der Does
17-12-14, 05:43
Ah, interesting. According to the German text this issue has only been found after the box had been for sale with 4 hybrid tuners.
It's worth trying the box with 3 instead of 4 tuners.

And indeed: this smells like a hardware issue, but it might be resolvable with a driver update.

nsw9154
17-12-14, 11:23
Thank's again Rob and maxben I am going to try it with only 3 DVB-C/T/T2 Tuners and see if the SNR moves above 54% so I will disconnect No4 and let you know (hey that rhymed) :D

Rob van der Does
17-12-14, 11:24
No, not just disconnect; remove the tuner completely from the box.

nsw9154
17-12-14, 11:27
Sorry Rob I meant to say remove N04 tuner :rolleyes: silly me

Rob van der Does
17-12-14, 11:31
OK, good to be sure.

nsw9154
17-12-14, 11:47
Well I have Unplugged tuner No4 and the SNR is still 53% so what do I do now, do I leave it with 3 tuners or re-fit the 4th tuner as the receiver seemed to work ok but will it cause other problems we do not know about :confused:

39304 39305

Rob van der Does
17-12-14, 11:50
More important than looking at numbers: are there any issues when all 4 tuners are in use?

nsw9154
17-12-14, 12:20
Well to be honest Rob I never noticed any apart from the low SNR, every thing else seems to be running fine now that Apollo 100 has sorted out all of the issues with the EPG menu, and time shift seems to be working fine as well, so I will leave it with just the 3 tuners for the time being and see how it goes as like I mentioned earlier I have only had it for about 6 days

one thing that I would like to ask is would using a different value splitter make any difference as the one I am using is 5-1000 MHZ and I have noticed that their are also 5-2400 MHZ ones would that work better or worse thanks in advance

Rob van der Does
17-12-14, 12:30
I'm not sure about that. But as long as there are no issues (you had all tuners in use and checked PQ?) I would regard it as cosmetic.

nsw9154
17-12-14, 13:07
Thank you for your help Rob much appreciated and seeing as the picture quality is fine I will put the 4th tuner back in and stop being paranoid :D :thumbsup:

rossi2000
17-12-14, 13:08
i had low snr reading on my et8000 with dvb-c, yet everyhting was ok.
new drivers rectified this issue.

Trial
17-12-14, 13:10
Hi,
splitter with upto 1GHz should be enough for cable reception. 2.4GHz is needed for sat reception as the first GHz is reserved for terrestrial signals and the second GHz for the sat signal.

ciao

nsw9154
17-12-14, 13:52
i had low snr reading on my et8000 with dvb-c, yet everyhting was ok.
new drivers rectified this issue.

Thanks for that info rossi hopefully Mutant will sort it out

Hi,
splitter with upto 1GHz should be enough for cable reception. 2.4GHz is needed for sat reception as the first GHz is reserved for terrestrial signals and the second GHz for the sat signal.

ciao

I did not know that thank you Trial, one thing that I have noticed now that I only have only 3 tuners connected is that I can now disconnect tuners 2 & 3 and still watch the program,when I had 4 tuners fitted disconnecting any of the other tuners the picture froze,so I wonder if that is the issue with having 4 DVB-C/T/T2 tuners fitted

Ev0
17-12-14, 14:02
I think the only way to be sure there is no problem with 4 tuners connected, is to record something on turners a,b,c at the same time (different frequency's) then use the 4th tuner to try and watch something else on another frequency again.

If it does that without an issue, then I think you should be fine using all 4.

nsw9154
17-12-14, 14:22
Cheers EV0 I never thought of that :rolleyes: I will try it later as it looks like my other half wants to take me Xmas Shopping :eek: Help :D

Rob van der Does
17-12-14, 14:29
Live TV is the best way to see if there are issues, as you can keep an eye on SNR while watching.
When you play a bit with recordings, "preferred tuner" and "preferred tuner for recordings" you can use tuner 1,2, 3 & 4 one by one for live TV.

nsw9154
17-12-14, 14:35
Thanks for that Rob I normally just have it set to Auto

Rob van der Does
17-12-14, 14:43
Yes, that will be fine in most cases, but not for specific situations like testing.

nsw9154
17-12-14, 18:03
Has the setting for what tuner to use for Recording been taken out of the Recording Settings as I can not seem to find it and I am sure it was there before Apollo 100 :confused:

39308 39309 39310

judge
17-12-14, 18:17
Has the setting for what tuner to use for Recording been taken out of the Recording Settings as I can not seem to find it and I am sure it was there before Apollo 100 :confused:

Look in Menu -> Setup -> System -> Customise.

judge
17-12-14, 18:17

Look in Menu -> Setup -> System -> Customise.

nsw9154
17-12-14, 18:34
Thanks judge for some reason I thought it was in the Recording Settings section :rolleyes: then again it is not a setting that I bother with as I normally just have it set to Auto

ukbob
17-12-14, 19:29
Thank's again Rob and maxben I am going to try it with only 3 DVB-C/T/T2 Tuners and see if the SNR moves above 54% so I will disconnect No4 and let you know (hey that rhymed) :D

If its any use to you i have 2 sat and 2 cable tuners in my Mutant box.
SNR on all cable channels is 54%.... no issues.

nsw9154
17-12-14, 21:18
Thank you ukbob at least I know that 54% is normal on the Mutant as my LX3 has 99% SNR on it's cable channels, just doing some Recording tests with the 4 tuners back in and every thing is working fine ---at the moment I am recording 2 footy matches a Gary Moore concert and a Movie, and i am also able to watch a recorded program while all 4 recordings are going on and displaying A B C D tuners being used
So fingers crossed my worries where unfounded :D

75mak
02-01-15, 16:08
Are your tuners hybrid C and T2 ?

If so the following information may or may not be useful or relevant.

I read the following on a German forum which I dare not post the link to here, it is referring to the the AX Quadbox HD2400 which is the same hardware as the Mutant just a different badge.

Google translate:

Which I take to read

2 x S2 and 2 x C/T2 hybrid ok, which is what I have.

3 x hybrid and 1 x sat ok

3 x hybrid and 1 x dedicated C tuner ok

4 x sat ok

4 x dedicated C tuners ok

4 x hybrid not ok

I read somewhere else (can't remember where) This issue is down to hardware addressing evidently.

Is it possible to use a vix image on the quadbox ax hd2400 considering they are both have same internal hardware?

rizl4uk
06-01-15, 14:43
Guys how do you have this setup on all tuner do you get a 3 in one splitter and simply just attach a small coax strip to the other turners?

spudlydudly
06-01-15, 17:42
It depends on what tuners you have, you can't split a satellite, but you can cable and terrestrial.
there will be a loss so make sure you have a good signal

rizl4uk
07-01-15, 12:36
It depends on what tuners you have, you can't split a satellite, but you can cable and terrestrial.
there will be a loss so make sure you have a good signal

thanks I will getting the 3 tuner atm i have a dm800se and i get 99 snr on some chans

rizl4uk
07-01-15, 13:04
Whats the on the fly transcoding like can you watch them direct from vlc pc? this is not the case with solo2

judge
07-01-15, 13:44
like can you watch them direct from vlc pc? this is not the case with solo2

Yes, you can on the solo2.

theo
29-01-15, 18:15
Can you please tell us about the sensitivity of the sat tuner of the Mutant on the weak signals? Compared to Vu duo2/solo2 sat tuners?

Ditto - I likewise would like to know

nsw9154
29-01-15, 18:38
I only have DVB-C Tuners fitted to my Mut@nt so I can not check sorry, but I know that Sicilian has sat tuners fitted ti his Mut@nt so he might be able to answer that question

Larry-G
29-01-15, 18:46

I can't comment on the Mut@nt but the Solo2 has the best tuners of any Vu+ branded receiver and if you are into blindscaning there is no better receiver in the Vu+ range.

Sicilian
29-01-15, 19:25

I've not seen any difference between them.