PDA

View Full Version : FTP To Vu+ remotely?

shadowman007
11-11-14, 01:08
Hi, i wanted to know is there a way to FTP into my Vu+Duo2 box remotely? By this i mean get my Vu+ root folder remotely?

judge
11-11-14, 01:19
Would you really want anyone to have FTP access to your local networked boxes?
VPN/SSH probably the best options.
Discussion for network sites, not E2 related sites.
If you really want to open your box to any hack, port 21 is the defaut to open for FTP access.

shadowman007
11-11-14, 02:25
Would you really want anyone to have FTP access to your local networked boxes?
VPN/SSH probably the best options.
Discussion for network sites, not E2 related sites.
If you really want to open your box to any hack, port 21 is the defaut to open for FTP access.

Hi, thanks for that how would i go about the VPN/SSH option you mentioned is there a guide for this? Also for the ftp option can't i set a password?

timofee
11-11-14, 14:58
In most routers you can redirect port 21 to any other port number of your choice. You then open that port, but keep port 21 closed. Box is still open to attack but less risk as the port scanners tend to scan for the obvious ports like 21, 23, 80 etc. SSH is the secure method, but takes a bit of setting up.

judge
12-11-14, 00:30
Hi, thanks for that how would i go about the VPN/SSH option you mentioned is there a guide for this? Also for the ftp option can't i set a password?
FTP password offers the least protection available.
If you want to go down the VPN/SSH route, you really need to be looking at network security sites, not satellite hobby image sites.

In most routers you can redirect port 21 to any other port number of your choice. You then open that port, but keep port 21 closed. Box is still open to attack but less risk as the port scanners tend to scan for the obvious ports like 21, 23, 80 etc. SSH is the secure method, but takes a bit of setting up.
No less risk, any decent port scanner will scan on all ports.
Saying that, ssh can be enabled & is perfectly secured on current ViX builds.

timofee
12-11-14, 15:15
I think sometimes we have to be practical not perfectionist. Most scanners don't bother with the obscure random port numbers.

Most people give up when you tell them to use SSH, if they have the skills to set up SSH they will have already searched how to do it in advance and not got round to post here.