PDA

View Full Version : Cant seem to access box through VPN

s1m0nw
10-11-14, 11:55
Hey guys

Still at this after good bit of reading on google. Alot of it relates to openvpn plugin.

I have Asus RT-N66u router which has built in VPN and DDNS.

I have setup both of these and included the ip address client pool range to include my satellite reciever for VPN server.

I am testing this by using my mobile phones network (not to stream just to access), I have enable vpn (entered my details etc) on my phone then opened up chrome and enter box ip address the page appears to be loading but doesn't do anything.

Through all my reading it is my understanding that I dont need to setup openvpn on the satellite box as I have it built in to the router. Am I correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

If you require any more information from me please ask as I would like to get this working.

Thanks

rossi2000
10-11-14, 13:31
you still need vpn setup on clients, as its only setup on the server which is your router

s1m0nw
10-11-14, 16:50
Ahhh so back to the drawing board it is.

How do I run the automated script thats included in the guude that finbarr made?? @ http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?36336-Guide-to-setting-up-an-OpenVPN-server-on-Vix

rossi2000
10-11-14, 17:40
copy the .sh file somewhere on the box, maybe /tmp dir

chmod the file to 755
and run it

./setup_openvpn.sh

s1m0nw
10-11-14, 18:20
Thanks mate. I think I got it.

How would I test this, would I use my phone network, connect to vpn then enter box ip address in browser and openwebif should open?

s1m0nw
10-11-14, 23:02
Ok got this sorted.

Last and final question on the subject from me...

Across all platforms eg laptop ipad smartphones, What browsers support .m3u file extension?

So far I know safari on ipad plays the stream no problems. Havent managed to get it to work on laptop nor my andriod mobile.

pembo
10-11-14, 23:12
On android just install the vu player app.
On windows laptop, VLC, Media Player Classic, even Windows Media Player all work.

judge
10-11-14, 23:13
Across all platforms eg laptop ipad smartphones, What browsers support .m3u file extension?
VLC should work fine on all platforms.

s1m0nw
10-11-14, 23:33
Really... ive tried using vlc a few times. If I click transcoded or other one I get a stream.m3u file but vlc doesnt seem to recognise the file.

So I must be doing something wrong.

judge
10-11-14, 23:39
Really... ive tried using vlc a few times. If I click transcoded or other one I get a stream.m3u file but vlc doesnt seem to recognise the file.

So I must be doing something wrong.

That's just file recognition issues so?
If you launch VLC & open the .m3u, does it play then?

s1m0nw
10-11-14, 23:45
If i launch vlc and navigate to the directory its not there. It has picked up a .mp4 video file but not the .m3u.

s1m0nw
10-11-14, 23:50
If I tried and force it to open with vlc it doesnt do anything either

pembo
10-11-14, 23:53
Save the m3u file, open it in a text editor (e.g. notepad), copy the URL and use this in VLC to make sure it plays correctly.

s1m0nw
11-11-14, 00:43
It works in vlc if I do it as you stated pembo.

Surely there must be a better way

pembo
11-11-14, 00:49
So is the m3u file format associated with VLC?
i.e. if you save it, then double click on the M3U, it opens VLC?

s1m0nw
11-11-14, 01:10
Using my andriod phone. I have set vlc to open .m3u file.

I click on stream icon on openwebif, it downloads stream.m3u I then navigate to download folder click it and it opens vlc but nothing loads. Only comes up with filelist of videos on my phone.

pembo
11-11-14, 07:27
Using my andriod phone. I have set vlc to open .m3u file.

I click on stream icon on openwebif, it downloads stream.m3u I then navigate to download folder click it and it opens vlc but nothing loads. Only comes up with filelist of videos on my phone.

on android use the VU+ player, it works much better than trying to use the web interface. I've got this linked to MX player which works reasonably well.

s1m0nw
11-11-14, 08:29
Does the transcoding option still work when using vuplus app with a gigablue quad?

pembo
11-11-14, 08:55
i'd have thought so... I assume it uses the same transcoding plugin.

s1m0nw
11-11-14, 10:30
Mmm ill need to investigate this a little further as I cant get tramscoding to work on vuplus app