PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Vu Duo Fan - Where to buy?

bigup7
08-11-14, 11:18
hi all

i need to replace the fan on my Genuine Vu Duo

my Vu duo died and had the Red light of death which i fixed by replacing the capacitor

but noticed the stock fan is all clogged up and dirty and was very loud anyway

i purchased a Fractal FD-FAN-50 fan and solder it onto the existing fan connector,

the fractal fan doesn't seem to start up by it self, it need a helping nudge of the fan blades to get it started

ive turned on the fan control in the menu and also made sure fan blades are not touching anything

doing a quick google i see other people having same issue with this fan

anyone know what fans 100% work?

or is i best to just leave it off al together? i do use a 3.5" drive but not really use it to record so may just leave this unplugged for the time being to help reduce heat inside the case

thanks

adm
08-11-14, 19:34
i purchased a Fractal FD-FAN-50 fan and solder it onto the existing fan connector,

the fractal fan doesn't seem to start up by it self, it need a helping nudge of the fan blades to get it started

Is there a label on the old fan that gives a part number or any indication of its specification?

Fans come in 5 Volt and 12 Volt versions. I suspect (but do not know) that you need a 5V fan but have purchased a 12V fan. 12V fans are often run at much lower voltages but need a minimum voltage to start up - hence you giving it a nudge just gives it that kick to get it working. The specification for your fan you have purchased suggests a minimum startup voltage of 9V but once spinning it will work on a much lower voltage.

Also consider also that fans come with different speed and airflow specifications - a fan with too high an airflow will be noisy. The specification (noise level, rotational speed and air flow) for the fan you have purchased look OK but maybe the voltage is wrong.

The only sure way is to decode the label on the old fan and/or measure the voltage across the fan pins with the fan permanently on. However, measuring the voltage may not be fool-proof because the fan may be running with a pulsed speed control.

Old fans can often be given a second extension of life with a lubrications of the bearings. Carefully peel off the label in the middle of the fan. This will often reveal the end of the spindle and bearing. Insert the smallest of one drop of a thick oil. Engine oil from the end of the engine dip stick is more than enough.

HeRmAN
27-12-14, 00:53
might help