PDA

View Full Version : Splitters

andybuk2014
04-11-14, 10:35
I have got a Gigacube HD Quad plus with 2 sat and 2 cable tuners. I have a cable feed with a 2 way splitter and a 3.6db and 4 db rating on it. What I want is to get both cable tuners up and running to record and watch different channels. Do i need to worry about the db ratings when I get a 3 way splitter? Also what brand to go for? The existing one is ecoline but cant find them online in the UK but can see Labgear and Konig.

DaMacFunkin
04-11-14, 12:46
You may find you need a powered splitter, I did.

Joe_90
04-11-14, 12:47
When you use a passive splitter you usually get a 3dB reduction in signal. You may find that if you split three ways the signal reduction may be such that some channels are not receivable, but the signal levels on cable systems are usually high enough that your signal quality does not fall off the digital "cliff". Try it and see. Go for a quality splitter (lowest dB loss).

timofee
04-11-14, 15:00
I would have thought this was a standard VM install - one feed into property split three ways - two for a Tivo box plus one for broadband.

TK4|2|1
04-11-14, 16:16
As a rule of thumb, when working out passive splitter loss, just double the number of outputs. So a 3 way will be approx 6db. There is a formula to work it out precisely, but I won't bore you with it.

Sent by pressing the screen on 1 of my Apple devices, cuz that's how I roll.