PDA

View Full Version : Brand new Hard Drive format for vu+ Duo

digicell
27-11-10, 15:43
Hi

I have got myself a brand new 160GB hard drive and wanted to know if I set this up with the VU + duo shall I first connect it to my PC via a e-sata to e-sata cable I have and format it first.

Can someone tell me what I have to format the HDD as ? (i.e FAT, FAT32 NTSC etc)

I have bought a new one because of all the issues with the green screens i have had and the hard drive playing up.

Thanks

marty
27-11-10, 15:47
The format is EXT3, let the VU+ format it :)

digicell
27-11-10, 15:47
I have bought a SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200 160GB Drive

digicell
27-11-10, 15:49
the problem with letting the vu+ do it is that I have been experieicng a lot of issues with the Image...its so poor at the moment too each time I go on menu and exit etc it gives me the green screens whihc is annoying me now.

do you think i should reinstall the image? - I just did that yesterday so should i just unscrew unplug existing hdd and attach new one and then try formatting the new hdd? What is Mountpoints for?

I still havent been able to get my Wireless to work either :(

Stanman
27-11-10, 16:31
Let the VU do it and if you get a problem telent in and use linux command to format it.
Sorry couldn't find the post but its by Pooface and it gives you the linux command to format it the HDD - have used it and works fine.

marty
27-11-10, 18:23
I still havent been able to get my Wireless to work either :(

What dongle do you have? Mine just plugged in and worked (after entering the wifi WEP key)

plusser
27-11-10, 22:06
What dongle do you have? Mine just plugged in and worked (after entering the wifi WEP key)

What make and model do you have?
And I'd be very cautious using WEP - it's extremely unsecure (use WPA)

+er

marty
28-11-10, 08:12
What make and model do you have?
And I'd be very cautious using WEP - it's extremely unsecure (use WPA)

+er

Have a look here :)

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?3881-Is-WLAN-suported-in-VIX-1.2

WEP is OK for me, no one lives within range of my router anyway.

digicell
28-11-10, 10:12
I am using a TP LINK Dongle - TL-WN321G on my VU+ DUO but im having so much difficulties as it is not working.

I am right now trying for the 100th time reflashing the Box with the software because when i try and format it from the menu guess what happens - it goes green again! :(

How do I telnet into it as I dont know how to do that? I hope you can let me know step to step as it will be easier for me to do it then?

Pls let me know and I hope i get sort this issue out once and for all

marty
28-11-10, 10:40
What image are you using?

If it's any help when I had a DM800 clone I could never format the HDD with that.
I used some 3rd party software (Paragon Hard Disk Manager I think I used) to create a partition and format it in EXT3 using my PC.

digicell
28-11-10, 11:08
I am using VIX Image i am just about to reflash by putting V1.2 Vix image on the USB and reflashing it again

marty
28-11-10, 11:34
Right, I too am using VIX 1.2 and as a test I dug up an old IDE 160GB HDD formatted in FAT32 (Hitachi Deststar HDS722516VLAT80) and using an external HDD case that I used to use on my Spiderbox. I connected it upto my VU+DUO and went to MENU/SETUP/VIX/DEVICE MANAGER and pressed the yellow button for repartition the drive then selected the drive and then pressed the green button the format the drive. After its finished you then get a message saying it is now formatted to EXT3.

Worked perfect for me, no crash or green screen. I know I didn't use any SATA conection but I can't see it being any different to USB just to format the drive.

digicell
28-11-10, 13:03
ok mate now it has worked after i bought a new drive and also reformatted to Version 1. 2 VIX IMAGE and i am using CCAM 2.1.1 now....i hipe i dont get any more green screens...

iu still cant get my Wirelkess to work
can you kindly copy here your settings so i can replictae them please...

Thanks

marty
28-11-10, 13:07
I already have here :)

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?4017-WLAN-headache