PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Advice needed please

southpaw7
29-10-14, 13:51
Hi all

I am new here and my knowledge on satellite issues is pretty limited so grateful if you could help me out.

I am thinking of buying the VU+ Solo SE receiver from WOS to replace a very ageing and basic Phoenix box I've had for years. My questions are the following:

1) Can the VU+ be used like a Dreambox? If so, what are the main advantages of VU+ over the Dreamboxes (in very rough terms)?
2) My TV has a dongle to connect to my home network wirelessly. Do I need to buy a dongle for the VU+ Solo SE for the same purpose?
3) Does any USB drive work to flash the images or do I need to buy those flash drives recommended by WOS on their website (eg. Kingston data traveller)?
4) On the WOS VU+ Solo SE page, I am asked to choose between several image options that WOS offers to install free of charge when buying the product (eg. Official VU, VIX team, Blackhole, VTi etc). I have no idea what the difference is between those firmwares. Is there any webpage that explains the differences and what these images contain? Also, can I install more than one image on the VU+ receiver?

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Nik

Stanman
30-10-14, 11:52
1. Yes, imho better image support and open source.

2. Yes, if you are going to want to stream from a NAS or connect to the net. You can go wired via homeplugs.

3. If you don't have one then get one from the sponsor but in my experience everyone I have tried gas worked, sometimes needed full format first.

4. As your new go for vix as it's the easiest to set up and imho it's the best but I am biased.

twol
30-10-14, 13:23
1) Can the VU+ be used like a Dreambox? If so, what are the main advantages of VU+ over the Dreamboxes (in very rough terms)?

4) On the WOS VU+ Solo SE page, I am asked to choose between several image options that WOS offers to install free of charge when buying the product (eg. Official VU, VIX team, Blackhole, VTi etc). I have no idea what the difference is between those firmwares. Is there any webpage that explains the differences and what these images contain? Also, can I install more than one image on the VU+ receiver?

1) Price :). Also you have a wide selection of hardware vendors to choose from offering different alternatives.
4) you can try different images but only one at a time :)
I also think that ViX is the easiest image to install out of the OE alliance group - and I think I have tried most of the images.

southpaw7
30-10-14, 20:03
Very useful, thanks both for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.