PDA

View Full Version : [Rytec/RyVIX-UK XMLTV] Weird EPG problem

Ojustaboo
27-10-14, 18:20
Hi, I normally use XMLTV-Importer with Rytec UK XMLTV

It's worked fine for months, but since I recently did a fresh flash (could be coincidental) a few channels such as "more 4" show me the program info, but don't show me the program titles.

It changes daily, for example at this second, "more 4 + 1" is doing it as in the 2 pics below, but it seems to be the same few channels doing it.

A little annoying but I can live with it.

However today, BBC1 has gone weird. It has two "Have I got news for you" showing and I have checked online TV guides and the 22:35 pm is the correct one. It also has weird unreadable writing in it (only in BBC1, obviously caused by the wrong info conflicting in there somewhere).

I removed my epg.dat, went into autobouquets and chose SKY England, rebooted, I had no epg, I then used crossepg to get OpenTV Sky UK Open and BBC 1 had exactly the same problem, only a load more channels such as CBS also had info missing.

I have gone back to my preferred XMLTV importer with Rytec UK, problems still there, is it just a fluke or is something strange with my system. Pics below showing it.

Many thanks

abu baniaz
27-10-14, 18:32
What were the exact steps you used to remove epg.dat?

DaMacFunkin
27-10-14, 19:10
You need to reformat your hard drive and do a fresh install, i had this problem with programs overlapping on some channels, and 'Friends' would never show on Comedy Central or CCHD, but the synopsis would.

Larry-G
27-10-14, 19:14
You need to reformat your hard drive and do a fresh install, i had this problem with programs overlapping on some channels, and 'Friends' would never show on Comedy Central or CCHD, but the synopsis would.

Not nessecarily, just remember that EPG data is held in live memory so always put enigma to sleep before deleting the EPG.dat file or it may regenerate it self from the flash, same applies to all live files including bouquets.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Ojustaboo
27-10-14, 20:45
I telnetted into it, wend into /media/hdd then "rm epg.dat"

Then I rebooted it from the box

At the moment it's completely screwed, for example BBC2 shows only connect at both 7:30 and 8:30 But 7:30 is something to do with hospitals.

Wonder if it's to do with the clocks changing?

What's the correct way of removing it please and I'll try again.
Happy to reflash but not reformat (unless absolutely necessary) as I have a LOT of MKV files on there

many thanks

abu baniaz
27-10-14, 20:52
As above, it is kept in live memory so will be rewritten on reboot. You must put enigma to sleep first with "init 4" command then delete epg.dat.

Just out of interest, what are the benefits of downlaoding from the rytec data hosts instead of from the satellite/provider?

Flyingpig
27-10-14, 20:52
I have the same issue...... Just tried to reflash and I will update on teh result in a bit...

I thought it may be to do with GMT -1 hour..... As the second entries are 1 hour previous.... I have 2 baby P stories on BBC1 ---- 1st at 7:30 then again at 8:30

Ojustaboo
27-10-14, 21:00
Just out of interest, what are the benefits of downlaoding from the rytec data hosts instead of from the satellite/provider?

I just wanted it set up to work, picked one and it did. How do I do it directly so that it's automatically updated every day?

Just using freesat for E Anglia

Will do the init 4 now and remove epg.dat again

Ojustaboo
27-10-14, 21:12
Did that, rebooted from the telnet window and the epg was totally blank

Imported it (manual option from XMLTV-Importer) and while it sorted BBC1 out, BBC2 is now wrong :)

University Challenge is on now followed by Only Connect (which is set up to record) but for some reason it tells me "Intruders" are on

Just went up to BBC2 normal (was the same) then back down to BBC2 HD, it now shows Only connect but not University Challenge

Flyingpig
27-10-14, 21:27
Reflashed, whilst reflashing, took out my usb and deleted Crossepg folder and epg.dat ------ all seems okay now...

abu baniaz
27-10-14, 23:14
IMO, best to use crossepg downloader and download only opentv for 28.2.

You can set this to run everyday and at a time that suits you. Section 4 of ViX manual goes through setup process.

You will have to repeat the init 4 and delete process if you have incorrect data.

Ojustaboo
27-10-14, 23:24
Thanks,

Do you mean the Sky UK OpenTV as can only see 3 thuings under openTV that being the only 28.2, or is there an option do download more providers?

Only interested in freesat, don't' need the Sky channels, I THINK I tried this once before and using the up and down arrows (which is what my wife normally uses) rather than the graphical EPG, I got a very unhelpful alphabetical list.

Will have a play in the morning when I can get near the TV and try it again.

Thanks for all your help

EDIT: Just been reading the manual, superb, cant believe I missed it.

ronand
27-10-14, 23:32
If its only freesat you are after then the EPG data will download automatically if you have the freesat EPG enabled. Also I think you may be mixing EPG up with bouquets.

abu baniaz
27-10-14, 23:37
If you download the 28.2 data off the satellite, you will have everything.

Technically you don't need cross EPG downloader. Your freesat EPG should just download while on a channel. Easier/simpler to use crossepg downloader.

"Downloading" EPG data and displaying it are two separate items.

Ojustaboo
27-10-14, 23:56
If its only freesat you are after then the EPG data will download automatically if you have the freesat EPG enabled. Also I think you may be mixing EPG up with bouquets.

I normally confuse things :) I'm known for it.

I roughly do the following (mainly from memory)

Flash a new image.

Set up my tuners.

Set up AutobouquetMaker to scan for

FreeSat (UK) yes
FreeSat (UK): Area England HD: East (E) / Anglia
FreeSat (UK): generate main bouquet yes
FreeSat (UK): generate sections bouquet yes
FreeSat (UK): generate HD bouquet
FreeSat (UK): generate FTA bouquet
FreeSat (UK): generate FTA HD bouquet

Start the scan.

At this point I have zero epg whether using the up and down arrow or the graphical epg.

Up until now (will try opentv tomorrow) I have then been going into XMLTV Importer, setting it up to run every day

Selecting Source

Putting a tick by Rytex XMLTV UK

pressing OK then pressing yellow to do a manual scan.

When this finishes, the first time I press the up and down arrows I press blue for "favourites"

I then select "All channels" and from then on, whenever I press the up and down buttons, I only have the epg for my freesat channels.

The first time I use the graphical EPG similar thing happens, I have to select all channels and from then on, I only get my freesat channels.

Up until now, this has worked 100% fine

Earlier when I tried one of the Sky ones, I couldn't get the up/down buttons to give me just the freesat channels regardless of what bouquet I selected after pressing favourites, but I was doing it quickly and it is possible I missed the right one, hence will have a go with opentv tomorrow.

I'm happy to do it any other way that works.

abu baniaz
28-10-14, 00:07
You are definitely mixing up chanenl/bouquets with EPG. They are two different processes, deal with them separately.Just because you download the EPG data for all chanenls on 28.2 (includes sky and freesat) it does not mean you will have all the channels/bouquets.

Continue to Use ABM for freesat alone. There is no need for you to do anything differently in ABM.

Joe_90
28-10-14, 00:08
Yes, you're mixing up bouquets and EPG. For Freesat all you need do is run ABM as you have been doing. This step will set up your channel list (bouquets). For the EPG all you have to do is navigate to a Freesat channel (let's say BBC1) and wait. It may take 10 -20 minutes or possibly longer, but you will then have a programme guide (EPG) for all Freesat channels for the next seven days. It all downloads automatically by tuning in a channel. Providing you set up the EPG (in the menu) to store on your HDD and ensure the Freesat EPG option is selected (it is by default), then you should have no further issues.

You only need to run CrossEPG if you want SKY EPG or other satellite EPG or Rytec if you want to download EPGs over the internet.

judge
28-10-14, 00:09
I normally confuse things :) I'm known for it.
Yes, you seem to be confusing ABM for EPG?

EDIT: Abu & fat-tony replied at the sme time, please read their posts.

Ojustaboo
28-10-14, 00:23
If you download the 28.2 data off the satellite, you will have everything.

Technically you don't need cross EPG downloader. Your freesat EPG should just download while on a channel. Easier/simpler to use crossepg downloader.

"Downloading" EPG data and displaying it are two separate items.

Many thanks for all your help, I am however still a little confused :)

Are you saying that all info including the extended descriptions are stored along with the channels on the satellite, so in theory if I scanned the entire 28.2, I would have all the info to hand in some format? Including all the EPG data and extended descriptions (such as show up when I press the i button on the epg)

When I first got my duo I remember having to download settings and use dreambox edit to put them in the order I wanted, I presume that autobouquetmaker is now doing all that for me.

I presume that if I had a freesat box, then it has the software in it to get the epg info as I watch a channel and display it correctly.

As I'm using a quad, I presume if I want freesat channel listings, I need to use something like crossepg to get this to display.

All I know is that with xmltv, I simply selected all channels from the bouquet menu on my epg and I had just my freesat channels available to me (well maybe any free to air?) and it was displayed in a very logical way, when I've tried any other provider, it isn't (well not on the up and down button text epg) but that could be user error on my part and me getting confused.

Ronand says the freesat channels will be downloaded automatically if I have freesat enabled, does this mean if I go into the EPG/Settings and set "Enable Freesat EPG: yes", I will get the freesat epg automatically without doing anything else? If so, what about after a box flash when the epg is empty, how do I get it as I would by doing a manual scan in xmltv?

Mine was set to yes (I think it's set to yes by default along with other providers) and I had no data until I imported xmltv

Sorry for all the questions, trying to understand it properly

EDIT: I typed this before I saw the above posts.

Many many many thanks guys, I get what I should be doing now and as soon as my wife lets me near the TV, will set it up correctly.

Ojustaboo
28-10-14, 00:35
One final question :)

I was using xmltv to wake up at 4am from deep standby (option in it's settings)

Then running autobouquetmaker at 4:15 and using a power timer to shut it down at 4:20

As there's no option in Autobouquetmaker to wake from deep standby, am I correct in thinking it wont boot the box and I need to set another power timer to wake the box up 5 mins before?

many thanks

abu baniaz
28-10-14, 00:41
Why do you want to do this in the middle of the night? Schedule it after the normal wake up time. Your tuner will only be used for a minute. Even then it uses a free tuner.

I still suggest that you forget xmltv (dwonload data over the internete from a third party website) and just use openTV (get data from satellite using the tuner)

Joe_90
28-10-14, 01:08
abu - is OpenTV (used by CrossEPG) not just for the SKY EPG? Obviously there is a huge overlap between channels present on Freesat and SKY, so most Freesat channel will be covered, but what CrossEPG is downloading is from SKY's transponder.

The Freesat EPG IS available on one transponder (and this is what branded Freesat boxes use to download the full EPG in one go (takes about a minute)). But the Freesat EPG is also "trickle-fed" on every channel and will populate all seven days in about 20 minutes or less. If one never ran CrossEPG the Freesat EPG would populate automatically. (OP - there is no need to scan the satellite, just run ABM and park the receiver on a channel).

judge
28-10-14, 01:27
abu - is OpenTV (used by CrossEPG) not just for the SKY EPG? Obviously there is a huge overlap between channels present on Freesat and SKY, so most Freesat channel will be covered, but what CrossEPG is downloading is from SKY's transponder.

The Freesat EPG IS available on one transponder (and this is what branded Freesat boxes use to download the full EPG in one go (takes about a minute)). But the Freesat EPG is also "trickle-fed" on every channel and will populate all seven days in about 20 minutes or less. If one never ran CrossEPG the Freesat EPG would populate automatically. (OP - there is no need to scan the satellite, just run ABM and park the receiver on a channel).

Running a CrossEPG/OpenTV scan for 28.2E works a lot faster & more compatible results than any other scan for UK/IRE sat channels, Freesat or not. No harm in downloading non Freesat EPG when it's not needed on 28.2E.

abu baniaz
28-10-14, 01:33
I have just retested it after wiping all chanenl data and running ABM for freesat only. Data populated fully for the freesat channels. Less than a minute too for the download.

With regards to the zapping to the freesat epg transponder, I don't know what this trasnponder is. I'd be grateful if you could post this. I suspect just like Virgin, any chanenl on that frequency will upload EPG data very quickly rather than trickle feed. The zapping could be automated with epg refresh plugin too or just use crossepg downloader for 28.2 openTV.

Joe_90
28-10-14, 01:56
abu the home transponder for Freesat was 11428 H 27500 2/3 , but I'm not sure this is still the case as transponders were shifted around from Eutelsat to the newer Astra sats and current info on it seems to be scarce. I'll have a look in the morning with the TS reader tool. CrossEPG is probably 99% good for Freesat and most people will use that in any case as the will be using a SKY card in their receiver, but I just wanted the OP to know that if he was interested in Freesat only, then the EPG would automatically populate using the default settings. Once the EPG has initially populated the updates are in near real time in any case.

Joe_90
28-10-14, 17:08
abu - Update on previous post. 11428H 27500 2/3 seems to be still the home transponder for the Freesat EPG. the EIT is contained in PID 0x0BBB and, judging by the data rate, this contains the full EPG in a private data stream. The E2 code obviously handles the compressed EIT data on a regular transponder ok, so I would assume that it would do so here also.

Further update. This particular transponder has a channel on it which is some kind of feed for Associated Press - APTV. As an experiment I scanned in this transponder and added APTV to my favourites. I stopped enigma and deleted the epg.dat file and restarted enigma and tuned to my local DVB-T multiplex and checked the EPG. Only my terrestrial channels were populated in the EPG as expected. I then tuned to APTV and within seconds the entire Freesat EPG was populated - so confirmation that this transponder has the full EIT for Freesat.:)

Ojustaboo
28-10-14, 20:20
I've been playing.

Just setting the freesat to yes on the EPG settings does give me the epg after a min or so.

OpenTV also gives me what appears to be the same EPG (did init 4 and removed epg.dat between each test)

But have decided to go back to XMLTV-importer with rytec UK for the simple reason I get a much better program description

I had it on just the freesat and set it up to tape Gotham tonight and saw that it didn't tell me what episode I had.

I then went the open TV route and it was 100% exactly the same as per this pic

I then went back to the xmltv-importer (which is now working fine) and as you can see from the below pic, I have a much better program description including which episode it it.

So for now, I'm sticking with that.

Many thanks for all your help

Joe_90
28-10-14, 22:18
Ok, but the best thing is not to enable all of the EPG sources, otherwise you may get multiple entries in the database.