PDA

View Full Version : NTFS usb HDD external

gigirock
27-10-14, 11:30
During the week end I tested the openvix image on my decoder, and as one year before there is a problem with the external NTFS usb disk.
As you know the SE version doesn't have internal interface for the disk so you have to connect an external disk. I use a normal 500Gb HD with usb 2.0.
The filesystem is not recognized 'out of the box' you have to install kernel module and utilities , but when your disk is recognized, you will have trouble at boot ...
so you detach your disk from usb plug during boot and then you have to connect again when the system will be up, in the 90% of the cases the system freeze and you have the VIX logo that will turn forever.

What i mean is , in my opinion is quite normal to have an usb hdd connected to the decoder and quite normal that the fs is ntfs ( compatible with 99% of the pc on this galaxy)

ronand
27-10-14, 11:36
Why is it normal? NTFS is a proprietary Microsoft format (not opensource). Its a linux receiver and of course will work best if the hard drive is formatted in a linux system (ext3/4)

gigirock
27-10-14, 14:07
Yes you are right man , but I', talking about reality, I think that the 90% of the usb hdd disk in the world are MS formatted and to be 'open' to the other means to be ready to share other people format.
What I mean is , that sounds strange that a so simply feature in the "open enigma2 image world " is missed.

Anyway, mine alert is for the developers, How many people will not use openvix because their USB hdd can't be filled of tv shows recorded with the enigma2 decoder ?

At the end you have only to include fuse module in the kernel....

kim1406
24-12-15, 09:35
Yes you are right man , but I', talking about reality, I think that the 90% of the usb hdd disk in the world are MS formatted and to be 'open' to the other means to be ready to share other people format.
What I mean is , that sounds strange that a so simply feature in the "open enigma2 image world " is missed.

Anyway, mine alert is for the developers, How many people will not use openvix because their USB hdd can't be filled of tv shows recorded with the enigma2 decoder ?

At the end you have only to include fuse module in the kernel....

I'm one of those people who is not using OpenVIX because, you have to install some plugins to have your external NTFS HDD be recognized. In other images, just plug and play your HDD.

birdman
24-12-15, 12:31
and to be 'open' to the other means to be ready to share other people format.No it doesn't! It means you are happy to share your own with others - the problems arise when others refuse to share with you, hence the VFAT patent case for MS vs. TomTom

At the end you have only to include fuse module in the kernel....There is also a free ext3/4 driver for MS Windows.