PDA

View Full Version : Changing an LNB

scottmcmullan8
25-10-14, 12:27
Hi all,

My satellite dish is around ten years old. Works perfect and signal strength is good. Problem is only has one lnb. I have been looking at buying a quad to put on dish and just wondered how easy is it to change yourself. Watched a few YouTube videos and obviously they make it look simple however an old dish that has been outside for years is it likely the lnb will be stuck of tricky to remove?

Thanks

twol
25-10-14, 12:51
Dead easy. Just buy one with a drop down plastic guard which will protect the connections from the environment..... Otherwise you can buy special tape, which when stretched and wrapped around teh connectors will seal them from rain etc..... Just not so easy to remove.
You might also have to turn the lnb clockwise or anticlockwise a little bit to get the best signal, although in the UK you should haveno issues.

scottmcmullan8
25-10-14, 13:45
I think there is black tape on it currently from whoever installed. This is what I'm worried about taking it off. Not sure if it is around the arm where lnb goes in or just around connections

scottmcmullan8
25-10-14, 14:22
Just got up the ladder and lnb comes out easy enough now just to order one. Lnb said on it grundig is there any specific type of lnb I need to order for this dish

Joe_90
25-10-14, 14:29
I'm assuming that it's not a SKY dish? Then any universal Quad LNB should be ok. If it's a SKY dish (unlikely it would last 10 years!) then ensure you get a SKY compatible LNB for best signal reception.

scottmcmullan8
25-10-14, 15:35
It actually is an old any dish believe it or not. Can u get a sky compatible universal lnb

Joe_90
25-10-14, 16:10
Any dish - do you mean a no-brand dish? If it's a round dish or taller than it is wide, then a universal LNB is what you need. The SKY LNBs (usually Zinwell make) have a different feed horn to match the elliptical shape of the SKY dish. If it's actually a SKY dish, then you need a SKY quad LNB and you may have to get an adapter to fit the feed arm. Again, if it's a old SKY dish (perforated), you might be better off getting a complete dish and LNB set.

abu baniaz
25-10-14, 16:19
The sky dishes are eliptical and not round. Their lnbs are also eliptical and not round.

Might be easier to a post a picture of your dish. If it is a sky dish, take a close up picture of where the lnb connects to the arm. There are several revisions of the dishes and you will need to buy ine that fits onto your dish.

scottmcmullan8
28-10-14, 18:13
This is the lnb taken out of dish. I have tried another but it doesn't fit it is too big any ideas why

scottmcmullan8
28-10-14, 18:14
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/28/35bcd1a2aeaa7d6e0bc3b82acce7ebe0.jpg

Tried this one which works for any sky dish apparently but not mine

abu baniaz
28-10-14, 18:19
You have a mk4 LNB, but the dish is mk2 or mk3. It will work on the dish you currently have you need an adapter for it. Some LNBs come with the adapter, have a look in the box.

scottmcmullan8
28-10-14, 18:40
Thanks I ordered one that looks very like that for 1.95. Hopefully it fits.looks like it will slide in the arm.i thought that one did come with an adapter from reviews but unfortunately not .thanks for the help will let u know when it arrives if it fits.pray for me lol

Joe_90
28-10-14, 19:53
Yes - that's why I suggested you buy a dish and LNB as a set. A ten year old SKY dish is likely to be on its last legs (although later models have even shorter lives as they are made of very thin sheet metal!), so you need to ensure that the existing arm is not rusted through and that the adjustment bolts are also not rusted, else you will have a difficult job tweaking the adjustment settings when you mount the new LNB.