PDA

View Full Version : Button changes in Vix 3.0

LeeC22
23-10-14, 20:32
I've managed to upgrade my system to the latest Vix (as shown in the attached image), actually went a lot smoother than I thought, although I did take lots of photos to make sure I missed nothing. One thing I can't figure out though, are two button changes that seems to have occurred, and I can't find settings to fix them.

Before I upgraded, UP on the remote, used to take you to the Bouquet list, but displayed the current channel you were on. Now it just goes to the top level of the bouquet list, albeit at the currently chosen bouquet. I've changed one setting, Channel List Cursor Behaviour that had the option to "Keep Service" which I thought might be the setting, but that made no difference.

The other one is the Green button. Before the upgrade, it used to display the timers, now it acts exactly like the Red button, and shows the single EPG. Going into the Button Setup option gives you no option to allocate a Timers option to a button.

Have these functions been removed or changed? The bouquet one was a majorly useful one, especially in long lists of channels, like on Hotbird 13.0.

judge
23-10-14, 20:45
Install a newer build. Build 064 available on http://www.openvix.co.uk/

Rob van der Does
23-10-14, 21:25
So you come from 3.0 and flash 47 instead of 64; why's that?

LeeC22
23-10-14, 23:04
So you come from 3.0 and flash 47 instead of 64; why's that?

Is that relevant to my problems?

As it so happens, I downloaded the files a few weeks back when 47 was the latest version, I don't check for the latest and greatest versions, I was simply upgrading to cure a problem. Had I not had a problem, I would still be on version 3.0 Build 789, as I had been since the day I had my system installed. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke...

judge
23-10-14, 23:12
Yes, a you've discovered, you updated to an old build that still had teething problems with Button Setup.
Use a current build where these issues have been fixed.

abu baniaz
23-10-14, 23:17

As it so happens, I downloaded the files a few weeks back when 47 was the latest version, I don't check for the latest and greatest versions, I was simply upgrading to cure a problem. Had I not had a problem, I would still be on version 3.0 Build 789, as I had been since the day I had my system installed. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke...
Yes it is actually. Button setup has been added to the image that allows the user to assign buttons for different functions.

LeeC22
23-10-14, 23:22
Yes it is actually. Button setup has been added to the image that allows the user to assign buttons for different functions.

Ok. Odd that the even older build that I was using, didn't have any button setup, yet worked.

I take it if I just use a later build, I can backup my settings and the upgrade will reload those settings during the flash? My old settings file wasn't compatible, but I presume from build-to-build will be fine?

abu baniaz
23-10-14, 23:35
Button setup was added so by definition was not there before. Those "preset" functions which we have become accustomed to were programmed elsewhere. The different assignment was part of the teething problems.

Yes you can restore settings as part of the setting up process after flashing.

LeeC22
24-10-14, 16:17

Well, it turns out that it wasn't the ultimate solution people seemed to be implying... actually.

I now have the timers option back on the green button (which I didn't have to use any button setup to get), but I still don't have the option of using UP to view the bouquets starting at the current service, as I used to have.

They also seem to have removed a selection of buttons from the button setup compared to 047, so you now only have Red, Green, Yellow, Blue and Info... no UP, DOWN, LEFT or RIGHT, or any other buttons.

This is what gets users annoyed. Because people question why you aren't using the latest and greatest version, without actually checking how relevant that version is to the question asked. Then others jump in to defend that question, who have also probably not checked how relevant it is. I questioned the relevance, and it seems I was correct to do so, because I am now on the latest version, and have less functionality than I did over 12 months ago.

It's great that you all stick together to demean the satellite noob. But it also means that when one's wrong, the others are wrong too. Perhaps a more respectful question would be appreciated, when you are trying to work out why someone made a choice. Don't assume that every person with a question, rigorously follows every single build of an image, downloads it and flashes it immediately.

So when someone says "So you come from 3.0 and flash 47 instead of 64; why's that?", it translates to.. "It's a bit stupid to not download the latest version, why would you do something like that... don't you know what you're doing or something?".

When all that was required was a simple "There's a later version than the one you're using, that has added some features that might solve part of your problem. It might be an idea to try that, to see if it fixes any of your problems".

It's polite, respectful, and doesn't imply the user is an idiot. It also doesn't make any guarantees that upgrading *will* fix all the problems, as everyone else was keen to imply. I might be a noob when it comes to the Enigma 2 and ViX setup, and don't always know what I'm doing. But I've also spent 30 years writing software professionally, and helping people to solve problems... without putting them down when they make a wrong decision.

I'm going to let this thread go now, because I'm not overly impressed at what's been presented in here. While that's happening, I suggest people think about why they feel the need to put people under their thumb so quickly. It does nothing but make the forum seem unnecessarily unfriendly, and as the support forum to an online retailer, that's a bad image to portray, because it reflects on them too.

Rob van der Does
24-10-14, 16:26
Do me a favour and don't behave like that.
As has been explained above 'Button setup' has been added and been fine tuned in later versions. So there's no point in moaning about this when you're deliberately using an old version.
I'm not sure which part of the above explanation wasn't clear to you.

lemi
24-10-14, 16:35
If I were you,I would build my own image:thumbsup:

Rob van der Does
24-10-14, 16:37
And BTW: I do my best to express myself in English the best I can. If you're offended by my wording IMHO that tells me more about you than about me.

nsw9154
24-10-14, 18:48
Well as I see it neither Rob, abu, or judge said anything wrong and where only trying to explain and help :confused:

Larry-G
27-10-14, 17:49
Well as I see it neither Rob, abu, or judge said anything wrong and where only trying to explain and help :confused:

Unfortunately some people don't respond very well to being offered help, even when it was they them selves who asked for help with a free piece of software.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk