PDA

View Full Version : How can i install Picons into Flash memory and can anybody recommend best for uk sky

arnie2014
21-10-14, 21:36
Hi all

When I first got my vu+ solo2 box, it didn't come with the Channel logos ( Picons as iv recently found out they are called on here) so I somehow downloaded some direct on the box im guessing either via the plugin or addon menu etc

my questions are:

1. How do I install them into flash memory - as I belive this is the best way, as currently im guessing they are on my Hard drive

2. Where would they currently be saved ( like what folder in FTP would they be in)

3. can anybody recommend the best ones to download for UK sky please

4. on the box its self where can I find out which picons I currently have installed please

judge
21-10-14, 21:42
They will more than likely be in:
/picon
/media/hdd/picon
or
/media/usb/picon

As the Solo2 has plenty of flash, I'd keep them in /picon (root directory on flash)

Preffered pack for 28.2 will be down to your own likes, try Ocram: http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?40962-ocram-picons

abu baniaz
21-10-14, 21:46
2. Where would they currently be saved ( like what folder in FTP would they be in)
4. on the box its self where can I find out which picons I currently have installed please
Check /media/hdd/ for a folder called "picon"

1. How do I install them into flash memory - as I belive this is the best way, as currently im guessing they are on my Hard drive
Move the picon folder to your internal flash memory. You might need to save to your PC first then transfer to internal memory.

3. can anybody recommend the best ones to download for UK sky please
Check picon section and take your pick

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?35-Picons

This one is good
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?18869-BLACK-28-2E-by-MMCMedia-No-Discussion&p=317948#post317948

arnie2014
21-10-14, 21:49
They will more than likely be in:
/picon
/media/hdd/picon
or
/media/usb/picon

As the Solo2 has plenty of flash, I'd keep them in /picon (root directory on flash)

Preffered pack for 28.2 will be down to your own likes, try Ocram: http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?40962-ocram-picons

Yes according to my FTp filezilla program they are installed in MEDIA/USB/PICON - why would they be in the USB folder if I do not have a USB pen connected?

what do you mean keep them in /picon - do you mean basically create a folder called PICON ( as their currently isn't one) in filezilla as when I click the top icon ( im this is the root then at the bottom it should have a folder called picons am i correct? but because it doesn't I have to create the picon folder and transfer all my PICONS to this folder?

abu baniaz
21-10-14, 21:55
Folder must be called "picon"

Following are incorrect

picons
Picon
PICON

judge
21-10-14, 21:56
Can you telnet into the box?
If so, just issue

mv /media/usb/picon /picon
This will move them from where they currently are to the root of flash.

arnie2014
21-10-14, 22:06
Can you telnet into the box?
If so, just issue

mv /media/usb/picon /picon
This will move them from where they currently are to the root of flash.

Hi yes I have just used Telnet to move my picons to flash, so will this make my box abit better

if I download new picons on the box directly would the need to be moved to flash or would they automatically overwrite the current ones?

judge
21-10-14, 22:13
Most picon packs when installed from the plugin feeds should give you a choice of locations if more than one is available.
If downloading from the forums & transferring to the box, just overwrite the ones now in /picon

arnie2014
21-10-14, 22:22
Most picon packs when installed from the plugin feeds should give you a choice of locations if more than one is available.
If downloading from the forums & transferring to the box, just overwrite the ones now in /picon

no problem thank you

Im just trying to find the most upto date picons now, just clicked one but it appears a lot of them have channels missing

abu baniaz
21-10-14, 22:23
The link the the bottom of post 3 is fine barring a few channels.

arnie2014
21-10-14, 22:28
The link the the bottom of post 3 is fine barring a few channels.

ok I downloaded that rar file and I do not see skysports 5 for example but in a thread before that MMC attatched the Skysports5 picon, do I just download that attatchment and add it to the picon folder

abu baniaz
21-10-14, 22:37
ok I downloaded that rar file and I do not see skysports 5 for example but in a thread before that MMC attatched the Skysports5 picon, do I just download that attatchment and add it to the picon folder
Yes

arnie2014
21-10-14, 22:38
Yes

ok I don't need change any files names once iv downloaded it etc

abu baniaz
21-10-14, 22:42
The one for SS5 is correct as it is.
(background info: Picons are named by service refernce)

arnie2014
21-10-14, 22:52
The one for SS5 is correct as it is.
(background info: Picons are named by service refernce)

ok but when iv downloaded the additional picons they are just named wioth the channel name, should I find their service references

abu baniaz
21-10-14, 22:58
Sorry, can i change approach here? My mistake, shouldn't have posted a link to an incomplete set.

Download Nephilims ones. His ones are up to date.

arnie2014
21-10-14, 23:39
right I put my picon folder into flash or I think I have but now the box will not read them or should I say display threm on their revelent channels

judge
21-10-14, 23:46
right I put my picon folder into flash or I think I have but now the box will not read them or should I say display threm on their revelent channels
Thought you had that sorted about 10 posts back?
Does an E2 restart help?
Can you take a screenshot of your /picon folder?
Have you removed all other /media/ device type / picon folders?

arnie2014
21-10-14, 23:51
Thought you had that sorted about 10 posts back?
Does an E2 restart help?
Can you take a screenshot of your /picon folder?
Have you removed all other /media/ device type / picon folders?

well I managed to move the picon folder to the root directory then I went to my box and restarted it but no icons where showing up for some reason

judge
21-10-14, 23:56
well I managed to move the picon folder to the root directory then I went to my box and restarted it but no icons where showing up for some reason
Something not right so.
What picon pack are you currently using?
If you ftp or telnet into the box, are they listed by reference number or channel name in /picon root folder?

arnie2014
22-10-14, 00:02
im not sure what picon pack im using I downloaded it when I first got the box and I cannot seem to find out what pack it is, its been working perfectly fine

but once I moved it into flash it stopped appearing for each channel

I just moved the picon folder back to media/usb and they appear again

yes all the channels are listed by reference number

arnie2014
22-10-14, 00:09

here are two screenshots

yes before you say anything, I have moved allmy picons back into the media/usb area for now

judge
22-10-14, 00:21
Yes according to my FTp filezilla program they are installed in MEDIA/USB/PICON - why would they be in the USB folder if I do not have a USB pen connected?

I have moved allmy picons back into the media/usb area for now

Thought you didn't have a USB stick mounted?
I'd remove all picon folders & start from sratch.

arnie2014
22-10-14, 00:21
Thought you didn't have a USB stick mounted?
I'd remove all picon folders & start from sratch.

I don't have a usb mounted

judge
22-10-14, 00:25
yes before you say anything, I have moved allmy picons back into the media/usb area for now

I don't have a usb mounted

So, why have you moved them back?
Please delete all picon locations & strart from scratch.

judge
22-10-14, 00:33
I'd guess your /etc/enigma2/settings is now messed up with picon location, maybe restored settings with drives previously used no longer attached?
Fresh flash of current build will fix the issue.

arnie2014
22-10-14, 13:42
I'd guess your /etc/enigma2/settings is now messed up with picon location, maybe restored settings with drives previously used no longer attached?
Fresh flash of current build will fix the issue.

I cannot fresh flash I as I will lose everthing if I did that

I only moved them back to get them working again and they are working perfectly fine in MEDIA/USB

soon as I put them on the root they don't appear

arnie2014
22-10-14, 13:57
iv just found something ,

my picons are also installed on /usr/share/enigma2/picon - could this be the reason they are not showing when I move them from /media/usb/picon to /

deleted
22-10-14, 15:33
Since you are not prepared to do a fresh flash and by this are ignoring @judge his good advice, I suggest you just keep on messing around with your clearly messed up install, until you have wasted some more time of those trying to help you and yourself, before realizing it should be a good idea to start from scratch.

PS: Although it is one of the smallest printscreens I have seen in a long time, who still uses 800x450 screens? :D It sure are some strange names that your picons seem to have.

arnie2014
22-10-14, 15:36
Since you are not prepared to do a fresh flash and by this are ignoring @judge his good advice, I suggest you just keep on messing around with your clearly messed up install, until you have wasted some more time of those trying to help you and yourself, before realizing it should be a good idea to start from scratch.

PS: Although it is one of the smallest printscreens I have seen in a long time, who still uses 800x450 screens? :D It sure are some strange names that your picons seem to have.

im not using 800x450 screens I just clicked screenshot and put it into photofiltre so I could save it as a jpeg

and its not that im not prepared to fresh flash, im not ignoring @judge at all I just do not want to lose all my settings, channel lists etc

deleted
22-10-14, 15:38
I know that you are not using 800x450 screens, but at least make sure that somebody can read them properly, otherwise it's useless.

arnie2014
22-10-14, 15:43
I know that you are not using 800x450 screens, but at least make sure that somebody can read them properly, otherwise it's useless.

ok no problem, I have got all my PICONS sorted now anyway I just have a few missing still

also my BBC news HD is listed under documentary catergory instead of news

deleted
22-10-14, 15:49
OK, so moving your picons from a non-existing usb stick to internal flash and back from flash to usb, has solved your problem "How can i install Picons into Flash memory and can anybody recommend best for uk sky"?

If it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me, good luck with BBC news HD and it being in the wrong category, perhaps move it to "sports" and then back to "documentary", perhaps it will pop up in "news" afterwards. :confused:

arnie2014
22-10-14, 16:21
OK, so moving your picons from a non-existing usb stick to internal flash and back from flash to usb, has solved your problem "How can i install Picons into Flash memory and can anybody recommend best for uk sky"?

If it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me, good luck with BBC news HD and it being in the wrong category, perhaps move it to "sports" and then back to "documentary", perhaps it will pop up in "news" afterwards. :confused:

why you speaking to me like that, if you carnt say anything nice, don't say nothing at all, im asking for help and advice and youre speaking to me like im dumb

john doe
22-10-14, 16:27
go to the channel you want to move (BBC News HD), flick this channel on and then press up arrow, on remote, press menu, and enable move mode, where you can move it to news

arnie2014
22-10-14, 16:50
go to the channel you want to move (BBC News HD), flick this channel on and then press up arrow, on remote, press menu, and enable move mode, where you can move it to news

this only allows me to move it up and down in the catergory its already in, I need to move it from documentarys to news

deleted
22-10-14, 17:06
why you speaking to me like that, if you carnt say anything nice, don't say nothing at all, im asking for help and advice and youre speaking to me like im dumb

You're asking how you can put them on flash storage... Nothing has changed and all of a sudden the problem has been solved... This confuses me and makes me wonder, why bother wasting peoples time? I was not implying you being dumb, those are your own words.

judge
22-10-14, 17:09
also my BBC news HD is listed under documentary catergory instead of news
Can you please stop asking the same uestion in multiple threads.
So far you have picons in multiple locations & are using an old version of AutoBouquets.
Until you fix both these issues, little can be done to help you.

arnie2014
22-10-14, 17:33
Can you please stop asking the same uestion in multiple threads.
So far you have picons in multiple locations & are using an old version of AutoBouquets.
Until you fix both these issues, little can be done to help you.

I only have picons saved in media/usb/picon they work when they are here

but if I try and move that folder into the / - root directory they do not appear, I have searched the box for where else they may be stored and they are not stored anywhere else

and yes I trying to update autobouquets but it doesn't seem to appear to want to update

judge
22-10-14, 17:54
I only have picons saved in media/usb/picon they work when they are here

Do you now have a USB stick mounted on the box so?
Can you telnet into it & issue:

find / -name picon
& post the results here.

arnie2014
22-10-14, 21:55
No I have an never have had a USB connected to the box

hi this is what appeatrs when I telnet it

deleted
22-10-14, 22:14
Let me guess... Are you using a USB harddisk?

arnie2014
22-10-14, 22:33
Let me guess... Are you using a USB harddisk?

I couldn't tell you the box came with the hard drive already instealled inside so unless you can plug a usb hard drive inside then no

deleted
22-10-14, 22:35
Then blackhole is messing up the mount points, I would still recommend a clean flash with a decent image like openvix.

judge
22-10-14, 22:49
Please issue:

df -h
in telnet & post the output.

arnie2014
22-10-14, 22:59
Please issue:

df -h
in telnet & post the output.

what does that do?

judge
22-10-14, 23:03
Tells us what is mounted & where, please try it.

arnie2014
22-10-14, 23:12
Tells us what is mounted & where, please try it.

nbo problem here it is

judge
22-10-14, 23:16
OK, you have nothing mounted as /media/usb so no picons should be placed there.
Back to the start, now that you're removed all other picon folders, issue:

mv /media/picon /picon again & restart E2.

abu baniaz
22-10-14, 23:22
@arnie2014, I have sent you a PM regarding your attachments.

arnie2014
22-10-14, 23:25
OK, you have nothing mounted as /media/usb so no picons should be placed there.
Back to the start, now that you're removed all other picon folders, issue:

mv /media/picon /picon again & restart E2.

by restart E2 you mean restart enigma 2

arnie2014
22-10-14, 23:31
Hi Judge, that means to have worked my Picons are now showing up as normal

and yes they are saved in the root / so im guessing this will improve the life of the HDD by not having to spin up everytime I change channel etc

judge
22-10-14, 23:32
by restart E2 you mean restart enigma 2
yes .

judge
22-10-14, 23:38
Hi Judge, that means to have worked my Picons are now showing up as normal

and yes they are saved in the root / so im guessing this will improve the life of the HDD by not having to spin up everytime I change channel etc
You weren't storing them on HDD, they were still on flash, just in the wrong location.
/media/usb/ would have been used if you plugged in a USB stick resulting in the loss of all picons as they were stored on flash in that location.

arnie2014
22-10-14, 23:40
ah I see very confusing so I guess im finally sorted my picons out at long last, thanks to your help of course, so thank you very much :thumbsup: