PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please - Which Receiver Would You Buy?

scottmcmullan8
21-10-14, 21:17
Think I may have posted this in the wrong section earlier but I require some help:

I am new here and have registered as there are lots of opinions and views on all things satellite. I wanted to ask for some help in choosing another single tuner HD satellite receiver as I have been looking around for a week or so now without success. I currently have a clone dm800hd (OpenPLI image) and this has got me use to the way enigma2 works and i am pretty much comfortable with it in terms of bouquets, epg, picons and tv guide plugins etc. as well as FTP to the box and flashing firmware etc.

However i am now looking for another box and wanted to get something more genuine. I had been looking and pretty convinced i was going to get the VU+solo as their boxes always get good reviews. I was going to link up to record to NAS so wasnt bothered about the inability to mount hdd. However someone had suggested as the box was old i might be better looking at three other boxes and this has caused me to wonder if i am doing the right thing and ask for your help. The three other boxes mentioned to me are:

Technomate TM nano
Golden Interstar XSPEED LX2
Octagon SF8

So i ask for your opinions or if you like, what would you do ? Any of the three above or a Vu+ solo. All around similar price. Only other option to note is i believe the golden interstar has cable tuner also ? (may be wrong) and i also have cable connection in the house as well as sky dish.

Thanks in advance for your help

goosegog
21-10-14, 22:35
hi scott,i can only comment on the nano,great little box i set one up for the ex,set up with no card for freesat only,bought with caddy from sponser, put a 500gb hdd in,she is well happy with it,i havnt needed to flash it for months and epg thru auto bouquet still works fine,sorry carnt help you with other two but if you where to go for the vu solo i would look at the newer model solo se,lot faster and buy from the sponser so youre sure you wont buy shite :cool:

scottmcmullan8
21-10-14, 23:15
Hi goose,

Yes it looks a decent box i am now torn between it and the SE as i was literally just looking at it on the sponsor site. The SE seems like a powerful little stylish box and lots of support out there for it as well as various images to chose from so it's just a matter of price as the nano is 119 and the Vu SE is 189 - may be worth trying to get the extra cash up to get the newer box

thanks for your help :)

judge
21-10-14, 23:25
My single tuner box of choice at the moment would be the Solo2 SE, don't forget your forum members discount if ordering.
No harm in having a dual tuner box with only one feed though, the loopthrough setting will give you a few extra recording/watching options.
Why are you wanting a single tuner box if you also have cable though?

scottmcmullan8
21-10-14, 23:38
Well i havent really ventured into the market of a sat/cable tuner so im not too sure what way that works if you need a combo box and what types are available - sat dish is old and has only 1 lnb and feed running to house - price wise it seems like you can get a better single tuner box anyway for cheaper and dont want to be venturing up past the 180 mark

judge
21-10-14, 23:52
price wise it seems like you can get a better single tuner box anyway for cheaper and dont want to be venturing up past the 180 mark
Price doesn't equal quality & try not to be fooled into buying another clone box.
Site sponsor has plenty of sat & cable tuner tuner boxes in your price range.
So do you want both or a single sat tuner box?

scottmcmullan8
21-10-14, 23:57
No not going for another clone wanting genuine that is why i was looking at the Vu+ Solo SE - single tuner Sat receiver as only one lnb in feed coming from sat dish. Originally was looking at the Vu+ Solo but the newer Solo SE is far better spec'd and seems to be better supported at present due to it being newer. I had looked at octagon sf8 and technomate nano but tbh i don't know anything about them apart from less images available.

judge
22-10-14, 00:17
Back to single tuner sat box so...
I've had plenty of VU & TM boxes, no octagon so can't advise there.
If it was my choice between VU & TM, price wise I'd buy TM, quality wise I'd buy VU.
Overall I'd buy VU. Better drivers & better remotes IMO. Not without issues though & TM seem to copy VU issues.

Sicilian
22-10-14, 05:27
You wont go wrong with any of the three boxes mentioned. Imo if your considering the Solo SE, then I'd go with the TM-Nano-3T, twin sat + 1x Hybrid for same money. Loads better spec. Triple tuner, VFD, internal SATA facility.

Andy_Hazza
22-10-14, 10:21
I'd go with Vu every time. Vu+ Solo SE would be an excellent choice. :thumbsup:

Sicilian
22-10-14, 10:23
I'd go with Vu every time. Vu+ Solo SE would be an excellent choice. :thumbsup:

I'd disagree, over priced imo.

TM-Nano-3T wipes the floor with it.

scottmcmullan8
22-10-14, 10:33
OK so I only have one lnb so 3t seems like over kill. Thought I have a cable in connection also so what are the possibilities with the 3t when you have cable and sat connection?

Looks like a straight up fight now between the tm nano or solo se and im torn. The 3t would have to be able to do something special for me as it is dearer again at 199

Andy_Hazza
22-10-14, 10:37
I'd disagree, over priced imo.

TM-Nano-3T wipes the floor with it.

I'm only commenting on quality as I feel Vu are supremacy in this field, But I do agree the specs of the 3T are impressive, but I don't like the quality of any Technomate products, sorry. But like I say its only my personal opinion. No hard feeling eh Sicilian? ;)

Sicilian
22-10-14, 10:45
I'm only commenting on quality as I feel Vu are supremacy in this field, But I do agree the specs of the 3T are impressive, but I don't like the quality of any Technomate products, sorry. But like I say its only my personal opinion. No hard feeling eh Sicilian? ;)

The quality of the TM-Nano, TM-Nano 2 Super and Nano-3T is great imo. Open them up, inspect the circuit boards and you'll see ;)

@ The op, any of the receivers mentioned in this thread are all decent, comes down to budget and what you like the look of in the end.

abu baniaz
22-10-14, 10:49
Between Solo SE and Nano, Solo SE is better.

I'd buy the triple tuner if it was me. Ability to have a freeview PVR makes it even more worthwhile.

Sicilian
22-10-14, 11:02
Between Solo SE and Nano, Solo SE is better.

I'd buy the triple tuner if it was me. Ability to have a freeview PVR makes it even more worthwhile.

Then again the Nano 2 Super is better than the Solo SE and cheaper :) Choices, choices.... :p

scottmcmullan8
22-10-14, 11:08
Lol I am appreciating all the advice although it seems to be making the decision more difficult haha don't know what to do know I know it is personal opinion and that. Bit Confused by the triple tuner boxer. So does it have ability to watch sat and record on cable and vice versa? My budget started at 150 so the vu se was a stretch at 189. Decision decisions indeed. What is the vix image like for technomate products I have never seen one in action and do plugins like auto bouquets cross egg TV guide openwebif all work as normal on these boxes

Sicilian
22-10-14, 11:10
What is the vix image like for technomate products I have never seen one in action and do plugins like auto bouquets cross egg TV guide openwebif all work as normal on these boxes

More or less the same across all receivers.

scottmcmullan8
22-10-14, 11:52
OK so read up more on th e triple tuner. Doesn't work for me either as have no standard aerial in. Only have a cable connection and sat connection. So no point having triple tuner when it won't be used. So that begs the sicilan you still think tm nano wins over vu se?

abu baniaz
22-10-14, 11:56
Just to let you know following are different receivers...
Nano 2 Super
Nano 2T
Nano

Sicilian
22-10-14, 11:58
OK so read up more on th e triple tuner. Doesn't work for me either as have no standard aerial in. Only have a cable connection and sat connection. So no point having triple tuner when it won't be used. So that begs the sicilan you still think tm nano wins over vu se?

The Solo SE is higher spec compared to the TM-Nano-OE, not the TM-Nano 2 Super.

DaMacFunkin
22-10-14, 12:39
... But man those Technomate boxes are ugly...

Sicilian
22-10-14, 12:57
... But man those Technomate boxes are ugly...

Personally I look at specs first and foremost.

Look at the Mut@ant HD2400, not everyones cup of tea, but it out performs ANY other receiver in its class, ET10k, ET8K, GB Quad+, VU+ Duo2....

Andy_Hazza
22-10-14, 14:26
Gggooooo fffooorrr the vu+ solo se

Andy_Hazza
22-10-14, 14:27
The Mut@nt is UGLY tho init?

scottmcmullan8
22-10-14, 14:35
I think I may just do that andy. Have you got one of these yourself?

Andy_Hazza
22-10-14, 14:39
Got my brother one, and I love it. The build quality, quick and stylish mate, you won't be disappointed. I have a White Solo2 and a Uno, but seriously looking to add a Solo SE to my collection! :D

Sicilian
22-10-14, 14:58
The Mut@nt is UGLY tho init?

It looks better in real life, shiny front panel, blue OLED, wipes the floor with ANY other high end receiver, top quality and feel to it.

Even has Official support from OpenPLi.

Andy_Hazza
22-10-14, 19:56
It looks better in real life, shiny front panel, blue OLED, wipes the floor with ANY other high end receiver, top quality and feel to it.

Even has Official support from OpenPLi.

You will have to post some pictures up buddy, with the Blue OLED screen etc. I'm Intrigued now.

Sicilian
22-10-14, 20:02
You will have to post some pictures up buddy, with the Blue OLED screen etc. I'm Intrigued now.

Trying to find some time to do a video demo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barry2012
22-10-14, 21:29
The quality of the TM-Nano, TM-Nano 2 Super and Nano-3T is great imo. Open them up, inspect the circuit boards and you'll see ;)

@ The op, any of the receivers mentioned in this thread are all decent, comes down to budget and what you like the look of in the end.

Really like technomate got the nano oe off w.o.s
was getting a box in fortnight as upgrade need for cable + sat not sure of gig quad + or combo 3t
having problems with hd so if possible swap from cable to sat so not sure which box

judge
22-10-14, 23:12
The 2 sat tuners can still be used with one cable, set 2nd to loopthrough. Just not as many recording/watching options this way.
As for the 'no standard aerial in'?, if you have a cable connection, it will work with the tuner.

scottmcmullan8
22-10-14, 23:25
Excellent advice judge thanks and thanks to everyone for your help over the last couple of days - think i will go for the nano t3 as i can use the cable connection in and wasnt aware you could use the second tuner as a loop through which would work pretty well with the sat box i am currently going to replace as a bedroom box :) :thumbsup: to you sir - i really hope im making the correct choice and dont regret it lol

I see it is on pre order only at the minute too :( says stock due in 22nd 23rd ... here is hoping