PDA

View Full Version : VU+ Solo2 Software Update Help.

John57
21-10-14, 12:19
Afternoon All

I would now like to attempt to update my VU+Solo 2 from its current version 32 to the most latest and stable image.

I have tried to look through all the threads relating to this process of using the internal updater but still feel a little bit nervous attempting it without so called "clear steps guide" how best to proceed.

Yesterday Andy kindly indicated to me that my current 32 version is slightly behind in terms of the latest/stable version, could I ask the form members for a little assistance in doing this process correctly as I am unable to download the files to a usb stick as I attempted to do this at the beginning but as my home computers are all mac models I am unable to flash any usb stick that my Solo2 box sees and thats why I would prefer to use the inbox software update option to move forward and ongoing in order to keep up-to-date clearly following the correct processes step by step that the members recommend ie, doing a back up and then proceeding. If the forum members could assist me then I believe going forward I could continue to do this on my own

Quote from Andy

"I would blue button, Vix and do a backup first then I would use the image downloader to download 62 and restore there. Only a 5-10 minute job"

I am sorry if what I asking is so basic to most of you but I am willing to learn in order to avoid asking some of these basic questions

Thank you all in anticipation

Regards
John.

Andy_Hazza
21-10-14, 12:24
Aup buddy. I'll help you along. First things first. Press the blue button, ViX, Backup Manager, then Green Button to do a fresh Backup of your Image/Settings etc.

Larry-G
21-10-14, 12:25
Press the blue button then navigate to the ViX option. Go to backup manager and create a settings backup. Then go to the image manager and create a backup.

Once completed hit the download button in the image manager to download the latest image build, if you can't see build 062 here try downloading it directly from www.openvix.co.uk and FTP this image directly to /HDD/imagebackups/ (assuming you have a hard disc installed in your receiver). Then hit the restore button on the build you want to install, you can restore your settings backup during the first install wizard when the receiver reboots.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Andy_Hazza
21-10-14, 12:30
If done correctly, the backed-up image will have todays date and time on the end? If so now exit and then go to Image Manager, Yellow button, and select the latest Image, openvix-Apollo.062-xxxxx and Green button to download. and press Yes when a box appears in the middle of the screen. When done press exit and your image you have downloaded will be listed and just highlight it and press the blue button to Restore.

Andy_Hazza
21-10-14, 12:34
After a few minutes it will be like setting up from fresh, selecting your Resolution, Language etc but then it will prompt you it has found a backup and do you wish to Restore, Say Yes to this. And will also ask if you wish to restore Pluging, again select Yes. And then it will do the rest for you buddy. Nothing to be frightened off, trust me bud.

John57
21-10-14, 12:34
Andy/Pheonix,

Thank you both very much, what you have both instructed me to do seems so very straight forward.
Pheonix, yes I do have a hard drive, ironically it's the 500GB from my Macbook Pro as I upgraded to a SSD Drive.

can I ask the following,

1. Will it keep all my channels as I have at the moment?
2. When it is all completed will I see a previous back up image that I should delete or just leave?

Thank you both

Regards
John

Andy_Hazza
21-10-14, 12:35
Let us know how you get on please. Cheers.

John57
21-10-14, 12:36
Andy

My last request overlapped your answer

Regards
John

Andy_Hazza
21-10-14, 12:42
If you follow as per my instruction you will keep everthing including your channel list etc. :thumbsup:

John57
21-10-14, 13:02
Andy/Pheonix,

Just a quick update so far,

I have followed both instructions as issued via you both but did notice that Pheonix added not only the back up manager but also the image manager and create a backup, this is what I did.

So far its all worked but the update is still going in terms of the restore wizard its cycling through the background checks for the last five minutes hope it ends these check soon

The latest upgrade software options I was offered was 37 so I selected this option I don't have the confidence to proceed as Pheonix suggested " if you can't see build 062 here try downloading it directly from www.openvix.co.uk and FTP this image directly to /HDD/imagebackups/ (assuming you have a hard disc installed in your receiver). Then hit the restore button on the build you want to install, you can restore your settings backup during the first install wizard when the receiver reboots.

The re-store process is still going through its cycle ......is this normal?

Kind Regards
John

John57
21-10-14, 13:24
Andy/Pheonix,

Just a further update for you both, I have now switched the box off in order to stop the recycling that was happing, waited and then started the box again, its all working, software has updated to 37 but the overall layout is different, must be the original skin which given time I feel I might actually like its a dark grey set up.

Guys, thank you both very much while it has updated and I followed both of your advice I am 90% there I guess if I go into the update manager in a day or so then the software version might be updated.

Many thanks to you both

Regards
John

Andy_Hazza
21-10-14, 13:27
37? Press menu, Info, what build does it say?

Andy_Hazza
21-10-14, 13:39
Did you not download Build 37?

John57
21-10-14, 13:44
Andy

It says build 37 (Kernel 3.13.5) that was the only image available to me when I was offered to update, OK its not the very latest but there must be a reason for that.
When I powered up again for the first time after the update and after I shut the box down as it was just cycling through the wizard for 20 minutes I am now presented with a completely different screen graphics then I had before, its not bad its seems to be the original graphic, in fact I like it, what I have lost are my Iplayer and On demand plugs in but for now thats not a major issue. I have set my screen resolution from 1080I to 1080p and it works well on my Pioneer 500A Kuro

If you have any other suggestions Andy then please feel free to suggest them, I feel good that I was able to get this far, I m always willing to learn and give it a try so a big thumbs up to you and Pheonix

Kind Regards
John

Andy_Hazza
21-10-14, 13:53
Just look in the image manager now and yellow button and see if Build 62 is available?

ronand
21-10-14, 13:54
Please read post #3 again

John57
21-10-14, 14:01
Andy
Just check the image manager and I still only update 37 plus the previous version that I had.

Ronand
I have read post 3 once again and I did follow the instructions to the letter not sure why I lost my old skin but the default skin is not bad at all

Regards
John

Andy_Hazza
21-10-14, 14:02
Please read post #3 again

All his computers are Apple Macintosh so will struggle to format in Fat32. I have a Mac but have Bootcamp on it so I can can format to Fat32 on Windows whereas John is solely using Macintosh.

ronand
21-10-14, 14:04
If you looked at openvix.co.uk you would see the latest image (build 62)

openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=Vu%2BSolo2/

Having an apple mac is not an issue - ftp the file to the receiver as suggested by phoenix in post #3

Andy_Hazza
21-10-14, 14:06
John, only option I can see for you now is to update via usb stick and restore from the backup you made earlier. Do you have a usb stick spare?

Andy_Hazza
21-10-14, 14:07
If you looked at openvix.co.uk you would see the latest image (build 62)

openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=Vu%2BSolo2/

Having an apple mac is not an issue - ftp the file to the receiver as suggested by phoenix in post #3

What ftp client would you advise for Mac?

ronand
21-10-14, 14:09
Filezilla is what I use on windows and is available for mac too. I find it works fine

John57
21-10-14, 14:09
Ronand,

Andy is correct about my computer set up, one Macbook Pro and one 27 iMac with no Bootcamp on it.
I would always prefer to do the software update via the internal option provided this is possible going forward, I do like to keep up-to-date with all forms of software updates as it keeps everything ticking over nicely after it has gone through a development and trial phase.

I will perform the above check again in a few hours to see if the latest update is visible.

As always I really welcome the positive and supportive feedback from all

Regards
John.

ronand
21-10-14, 14:13
There were some server-side changes a while back to you cant use the software update method atm until you flash a more recent image. You will only have to do this once and then you will be able to use the software update menu again. Dont be put off by having to send a single file by ftp - its not that hard and you will get help here to do it.

John57
21-10-14, 14:16
Andy,

I have a few usb sticks so this is not an issue but it did manage to update to 37 and the original skin is not bad at all, in fact all i miss so far are BBC I player and On Demand, and the option to see the signal strength /db value in the banner

When it comes to ftp client I am using or on - sorry have no idea I am a semi profesioanl photographer and only use computers for editing all of my images nothing to much in depth I am afraid.

Kind Regards
John

ronand
21-10-14, 14:20
Your other option is to use a friends windows pc/laptop to format the usb stick as fat32 and download the image from the openvix site and extract it to the usb stick.

John57
21-10-14, 14:25
Ronand,

Thank you for your help, I remember a few years ago when I had Tag Mclaren Hifi kit which could all be updated software wise with new software but again it was only for PC based files so I had to keep asking family and friends to send me the files on a stick, very cumbersome.

In the shop where I purchased my unit I can only state how great they are, in fact the guys are so very very patient and supportive with me just as this forum is, it is a negative that a few of us are only mac based.

I will look at downloading the latest update onto a stick and try once more

Regards to all

John.

ronand
21-10-14, 14:28
Its always been a disadvantage of the mac that it is a minority product despite its good quality.

Andy_Hazza
21-10-14, 14:29
John, I have just switched startup to Mac on my iMac and formatted a usb stick using Disk Utility, formatted to FAT (DOS) and then went to openvix downloads, downloaded latest build, placed it on the newly formatted FAT (DOS) usb and bingo my Solo 2 recognised it and pressed ok on the Solo2 when prompted. Will you please try this method?

DaMacFunkin
21-10-14, 14:29
Just download it and FTP it to box then use image manager to restore it as already been said a few times...

Larry-G
21-10-14, 14:39
Andy
Just check the image manager and I still only update 37 plus the previous version that I had.

Ronand
I have read post 3 once again and I did follow the instructions to the letter not sure why I lost my old skin but the default skin is not bad at all

Regards
John

As I said above if need be go to www.openvix.co.uk download build 062 and FTP it directly to /hdd/imagebackups/ on your receiver then use the image manager to restore / flash the receiver.

John57
21-10-14, 14:58
Andy

This sound great going to try it within the next 30 minutes would be really good if it works

(John, I have just switched startup to Mac on my iMac and formatted a usb stick using Disk Utility, formatted to FAT (DOS) and then went to openvix downloads, downloaded latest build, placed it on the newly formatted FAT (DOS) usb and bingo my Solo 2 recognised it and pressed ok on the Solo2 when prompted. Will you please try this method?)

DaMacFunkin, thank you for your kind input as well

Regards
John

John57
21-10-14, 15:57
Andy

I am now back home, done as you suggested, got a free USB stick, formatted it downloaded latest image 62 which is now on my stick

I will follow the same back up procedures as you and Pheonix recommended to start with, will need to refresh my memory how to flash from a USB stick from the documents that I downloaded from the site. Do you have any further suggestions before I start?

Regards
John

John57
21-10-14, 16:01
Andy,

Sorry forgot to ask did you have to open the file and load only the contents onto the stick?

Regards
John

Larry-G
21-10-14, 16:19
Andy,

Sorry forgot to ask did you have to open the file and load only the contents onto the stick?

Regards
John

copy the entire vuplus folder from the archive to the usb stick.

John57
21-10-14, 17:23
Hi Pheonix

Thank you

John.

John57
21-10-14, 17:40
H Guys

Just to give you some feedback.

Followed the instruction and tips that Andy suggest, found two empty usb sticks, formatted them both using disk utilities to Fat 32 (DOS) downloaded the latest image on each of the sticks and then proceeded to do the install as per the instructions obtained from this forum,

Preparation.
1. Format a USB stick to FAT32.
2. Download the image of your choice and extract it to your desktop.
3. Open the folder you extracted to your desktop, in this case named openvix-3.0.658-
vusolo2_usb, you will see another folder named vuplus, this is your image file. Copy the entire vuplus folder directly to the USB stick.
Flashing the Receiver.
– Fully power the receiver down via the rocker switch at the rear of the receiver.
– Insert the USB stick containing the image files into one of the USB ports on the receiver.
– Power the receiver on from the rear rocker switch and await instructions.

Sadly nothing happened, the receiver just booted up as normal without doing the update. I think I have exhausted the help from all that have made great suggestions today at least I have moved from 32 to 37 I will try the internal update once again tomorrow to see if I can creep forward to the latest available image

A big thank you to ALL, many thanks for sicking with me

Kind Regards
John

Andy_Hazza
21-10-14, 18:23
Hi John,

Can I ask why you tried updating... 3. Open the folder you extracted to your desktop, in this case named openvix-3.0.658- ?? This is ViX 3.0 whereas ViX Apollo is ViX 4.0

Andy_Hazza
21-10-14, 18:25
The latest image can be found here... http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=Vu%2BSolo2/

John57
21-10-14, 18:42
Andy,

Sorry for any confusion the text I inserted was a copy of the text taken from the forums manual, I actually downloaded the correct image and have since the last few hours tried three usb sticks to Fat 32 DOS, looked on google for alternative options for mac and just tried it all once again, simple said the contents of the usb stick is no seen when I power up, I think I will go to the shop and ask the guys just to place the latest image onto the stick for me, I have to get a handle on this as need to do this for myself going forward. Andy, you and the others have been more then supportive I will not give up as its such a great box, in fact just been looking for a new and more sensitive LNB, I see they have a good selection in the WOS Shop.

Kind Regards
John

Andy_Hazza
21-10-14, 18:46
Why not give filezilla a try? and ftp the image to your box? Overcome your fears. hee hee.

John57
21-10-14, 18:50
Andy :thumbsup:

I already looked at his option went to a site to try and learn a little about this process but I feel this is outside of my capabilities as I have zero experience with kind of work, I would not even know where to start - simple truth I have never attempted anything like this. Just a question to you feel its just down to the USB stick not being formatted correctly via the mac as I might just pop around to a friend and try to format using his PC

Kind Regards
John

DaMacFunkin
21-10-14, 19:14
FTP stands for file transfer protocol, honestly mate it isn't magic, it's a way of transferring a file from one system to a folder on another system, if you can log in to this forum you can log into your box, you can even do it via an app on your iPhone or iPad.

John57
21-10-14, 19:21
DaMacFunkin,

Thank you for the encouragement do you know if we have a guide/step by step to accomplish this via the forum sticky?

Regards
John

Andy_Hazza
21-10-14, 19:21
I Know what you're saying buddy. It could be how the usb is being formatted. The file structure of the usb (root) should be;

vuplus > solo2 > (6 files)

When you insert the usb to the front, turn off the solo2 via the rocker switch and then turn back on, on the front display of the solo2 it will say Update! Press Ok, then on the front of the solo2 press ok and all is done on your part until the box reboots its self, pull the usb stick out and follow the instructions on screen and restore from your backup like before. :thumbsup:

John57
21-10-14, 19:28
Andy

I have seen the process done via the guys from the shop where I purchased the unit and who I know since many, many years but I am trying to avoid asking them each time a new update appears as they do appear so often, I need to be independent and learn it for myself without putting to much pressure on them as they have other valued customers to deal with.

I understand the process of updating even though I have as yet not managed to do it for myself, its all down to the box not recognising the usb stick and its contents at this moment in time. I also like to idea of pushing the file out direct to my box via the ftp option as DaMacFunkin and you have explained but for now I cannot see the woods for the trees as it is all so very new to me.

Regards
John

Andy_Hazza
21-10-14, 19:32
You'll get ther in the end buddy. Once your on the latest build you can use the online update facility again, its just cos you are on an old build. All will be good.

John57
21-10-14, 19:34
Andy

Thank you I am sure I will be able to sort it soon

Many thanks to all

Regards
John

judge
22-10-14, 00:52
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI

Andy_Hazza
22-10-14, 10:53
pmsl. CLASSIC CLIP THAT.

DaMacFunkin
22-10-14, 12:41
If he starts playing jazz flute I'm out of here...

John57
22-10-14, 15:34
Good Afternoon Guys

Just thought I would give you all an update. I managed to get image 59 on a formatted usb stick and proceeded to flash the box, very happy to report that the update went as it should. The reason I selected image 59 is because I want to see if the latest image is available to me via the internal update process. Guys, once again thank you all for sticking with me and for your continued support

Kind Regards
John

ronand
22-10-14, 15:41
Glad you're sorted mate.

John57
22-10-14, 15:47
Ronand,

Slightly off topic, I am in the process of updating my existing Lnb and have seen on the forum shop the same Lnb that you have listed, Inverto black ultra dual lnb is this a Lnb that you can recommend?

Regards
John

ronand
22-10-14, 15:59
Yes its an excellent lnb. I used a darkgold lnb before this one which wasnt bad but this one is noticeably better.

John57
22-10-14, 16:20
Brilliant, then its time to upgrade.

Thanks
John

Andy_Hazza
22-10-14, 17:39
John, Glad you got sorted in the end buddy. :thumbsup:

John57
23-10-14, 12:36
Thanks Andy,

Regards
John

bsteele
03-11-14, 13:05
Hi Andy

I've tried the advise you gave here and it all worked, but when I try to restore the new image the box States error reboots and is back to normal. My build is 808 does that make any differance?

nsw9154
03-11-14, 13:35
808 is a very Old build and nothing like the present Apollo image you will have to do a complete Clean fresh install with none of your original backups I had vix 3.808 on my Solo2 in February this year and their has been Zeus/Helios and now Apollo images since then :)

bsteele
03-11-14, 18:55
Thanks for coming back Andy Thought that might be the case I take it a complete rebuild is not for the novice "Like Me" Im really not great at this stuff!!

mrxbox360
05-11-14, 00:11
Ronand,

Slightly off topic, I am in the process of updating my existing Lnb and have seen on the forum shop the same Lnb that you have listed, Inverto black ultra dual lnb is this a Lnb that you can recommend?

Regards

John

Hi m8 i use a black ultra & i find it a lot better than my previous technomate gold lnb