PDA

View Full Version : Absolute Beginner

Marccon
20-10-14, 12:19
Thinking of a Vu+ Duo to replace my Sky HD box. Main reason is I’m fed up with the poor coaxial cable (magic eye) picture + sound when I stream to another TV in my house. My question is:-

Can I send the signal from a Vu box over a cabled network?

Will I be able to pick the signal up from a set top android TV box (G box MX2 from Matricom), If so how?

What will the picture/sound quality be?

Will my Sky card work in the Vu Box?

I see that there are different tuners available (DVBT2, DVBS2) for boxes would I be able to use any of these other than the sky compatible tuner, is the (sky positioned) dish able to pick up other satellites?

Do these boxes come with a Terrestrial tuner?

Finally can anyone recommend a good model or make to go for?

Sorry if these questions are a bit nobby but I’m new to this tech :confused:

Cheers ;)

Mark

Andy_Hazza
20-10-14, 12:43
Hi, the Vu+ Duo is quite an old box now. I have a Vu+ Solo2 as my main box and is an exceptional box, but is fixed to satellite only. What is your budget and I could point you in the direction to suit your needs. Magic Eye is PANTS!! I personally have the Extender over HDMI kitted throughout my home and gives superb picture and can control via an iPhone/Android app to change channels etc.

Your Sky card will work, but bear in mind you will be unable to view any channels in HD that sky own due to the new encryption/pairing system sky rolled out earlier this year. Mind you I have a great Sony LED TV and coupled with the latest ViX image the standard definition picture is quite impressive.

timofee
20-10-14, 16:44
It's not just the Sky HD channels that won't work.

None of the premium channels like sports and movies will work as the card is now paired with the Sky Box.

Marccon
20-10-14, 17:51
Thanks for getting back to me Andy & timofee:thumbsup:

That's a bit of a bummer about the HD (fortunately I dont subscribe to movie/sports channels) but the quality with the magic eye is s**t. Andy when you say "but is fixed to satellite only" what do you mean? Is your extender an HDMI extender? As far as budget I wouldnt really want to spend more than about £250 (What is the best box on the market just now?). Would this box see my G Box MX2 (and vice versa). I see that there are different tuners available (DVBT2, DVBS2) for boxes would I be able to use any of these other than the sky compatible tuner, is the (sky positioned) dish able to pick up other satellites? And can you fit a Terrestrial tuner to these boxes.

One other thing my G box runs XBMC with xfinity do these boxes do the same?:confused:

sataday
20-10-14, 18:18
It's not just the Sky HD channels that won't work.

None of the premium channels like sports and movies will work as the card is now paired with the Sky Box.

Are you sure? That's news to me.

Larry-G
20-10-14, 21:33
Yes if your card has been paired to a sky HD receiver you will also loose the movie and sports channels. There was a work around by pairing the card to a sky SD box but that has since been patched to my knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Larry-G
20-10-14, 21:48
Yes if your card has been paired to a sky HD receiver you will also loose the movie and sports channels. There was a work around by pairing the card to a sky SD box but that has since been patched to my knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Marccon
21-10-14, 11:08
Thanks for getting back to me Andy & timofee:thumbsup:

That's a bit of a bummer about the HD (fortunately I dont subscribe to movie/sports channels) but the quality with the magic eye is s**t. Andy when you say "but is fixed to satellite only" what do you mean? Is your extender an HDMI extender? As far as budget I wouldnt really want to spend more than about £250 (What is the best box on the market just now?). Would this box see my G Box MX2 (and vice versa). I see that there are different tuners available (DVBT2, DVBS2) for boxes would I be able to use any of these other than the sky compatible tuner, is the (sky positioned) dish able to pick up other satellites? And can you fit a Terrestrial tuner to these boxes.

One other thing my G box runs XBMC with xfinity do these boxes do the same? :confused: