PDA

View Full Version : ditching my tm800hd and getting the vu duo +

squig007
26-11-10, 19:43
hi guys i ive finally given up on the tm 800hd - it's ok but not worth the money but the vu duo is gettijng rave reviews > it looks pretty easy to set up but i have just a few questions :

1- is the only way to load a new image through usb ? and if so what currently is the best/stable image ?

2 - to add clines is it just a case of using an ftp client like filzilla ?

3 - what is the best usb wifi module to use with it and is it easy enough to set up to BT home hub ?

4 -can it play movies through vlc and do i just ftp the movies to the reciever ?

5 - does it heat up or/and does it have/need a fan ?

6 - is the hD picture as good as the tm800hd ?

sorry for all the questions but i want to be sure vefore i but it

kind regards

squig007

silverfox0786
26-11-10, 19:56
Good call mate

now for your Questions did actually answer this and clicked back lost it all starting again

1. Vu+ can be flashed with either USB or VuUtility. Image is a personal choice but bear in mind this is the home of VIX and VIX is banging :lol3:

2. CLines is a taboo subject here as Rules state, but all linux boxes including Vu+ work the same way

3. Alfa AWUS036s
AftertheMac G54SL (Rebadged CNet dongle)
Asus WL-167G v.2
Belkin F5D7050 v3000uk
Belkin F5D7050 v3001 & v3002
Belkin F5D9050 ver 4000uk
Buffalo WLI-U2-G54HP
Conceptronic C54RU
D-Link DWL-G122 Rev. C1 (F/W.:v3.00)
D-Link DWL-G122 Rev. C1 (F/W.:v3.10)
D-Link WUA-1340
Edimax EW-7318USg
Engenius EUB-3701 EXT
Hama 00062764
Hawking HWUG1
Hawking HWUG1A
Hercules HWGUSB2-54-V2
Hercules HWGUSB2-54-V2-AP
Linksys WUSB54GC
Linksys WUSB54GR
MSI US54SE II
Ovislink W54USB v. 2
Ovislink WT-2000USB
Quickertek Quicky Jr
Sitecom WL-113
Sitecom WL-172
TP-Link TL-WN321G

4. VLC is a well documented subject here and works well once setup look at the threads here for all your VLC needs

5. Not really heats up as such and yes it does have a fitted fan

6. the TM800 was a good box in hardwares point of veiw but the UR image let it down so if you put the Vu+ and the VIX team together in one room then your banging out a HD Fest :roflmao:

Hope that helps

squig007
26-11-10, 20:03
cheers mate your a gent - i have heard that the vix image is the best but are there any major differences in all the vu images ? and this is a brillant site pity the tm800hd hasnt really got the support the vu+ has

ps - is the vu+duo ok to use with a set of homeplugs ?

squig007

rasp
26-11-10, 20:16
Homeplugs work great with the vu+duo got myself a set from ebuyer

Sicilian
26-11-10, 21:12
Please checkout our sponsor for your Duo purchase ;)

squig007
27-11-10, 15:34
how can i use the vu+ duo on an existing uhf distribution system i have around my home - as it doesnt have a rf does it ??

squig007

silverfox0786
27-11-10, 15:38
Sling box or very long HDMI cables the sling box has been documented to work but then you can buy a video sender. uhf distribution is very old and picture quality will be pants

have a word with the sponsors here and i'm sure he will be able to help you on the best options for your needs

Sicilian
27-11-10, 15:50
how can i use the vu+ duo on an existing uhf distribution system i have around my home - as it doesnt have a rf does it ??

squig007

You can use a scart to RF modulator.

squig007
28-11-10, 17:53
sorry to sound stupid here but are there two lnb inputs in the back of the vu+duo (like sky +hd) or just the one and a loopthrough connection like my tm800hd ??

Sicilian
28-11-10, 18:24
Yes, the duo is twin tuner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squig007
28-11-10, 20:10
if i only have one lnb connection coming in from my motorised set up and i cant and any more leads as the existing stuff is buried into the walls and i dont want anymore drilling etc ..- could i use an lnb splitter to connect to the box and would this have any effect on signal strength ?

Huevos
28-11-10, 22:53
could i use an lnb splitter to connect to the box and would this have any effect on signal strength ?You can't share a universal LNB between different tuners and retain full functionality. A smart priority switch will help you out to some extent. If tuner A is active tuner B will receive same band and polarity. If tuner A is inactive tuner B will have full control of the LNB.

silverfox0786
28-11-10, 22:58
dont ever use a splitter on a sat connection not really a recomended thing potencially can ruin an lnb when and if they clash with polority changes

squig007
28-11-10, 23:03
sorry guys im not that technical - so basically if i only have one lnb connection coming into the living room - will the duo be no use to me ? how is a smart priority switch used pal - never hard of one before ?

squig007

basilyoung
28-11-10, 23:06
another option is to change the lnb to a dual lnb, and use a dual coax cable, one would connect to the motor, the other to the spare lnb connection
you would need to enlarge the hole in your wall slightly, you will then get the full benifit of your unit
another option would be to install a static dish, then use the extra coax to connect to the second dish

baz

silverfox0786
28-11-10, 23:09
i was under the impresion that smart priority switch was a splitter that slit the signal in a safe way by blocking the other but you say you have single lnb so thats out the window

with 1 lnb out you only have 1 tuner option the other you can loop but it means that you can only watch off 1 transponder at a time your best bet on a very serious note is goto the world of sat website and get the duo and a dual lnb at the same time and get some twin cable too and just start a fresh with that setup its your easiest option and the world of sat store owner is a real treat he will help you with what you need how you need and what not give him a call in the morning

Huevos
28-11-10, 23:50
SPS sends control of one LNB to 2 tuners in a master and slave fashion. Using an SPS if both tuners are accessing the same band and polarity both tuners will work the same as using a dual LNB. If you only have one coax and can't change to two you can still put a dual LNB at the dish and then use a stacker/destacker to send both LNB signals down one coax.

Huevos
28-11-10, 23:52
with 1 lnb out you only have 1 tuner option the other you can loop You can't loop a Vu+ Duo because it doesn't have loop through.

squig007
30-11-10, 13:45
sorry another question - i have a tm800hd and currently i can load an image on with the ur miniweb so i dont need to use a usb or a serial lead etc .. and it's very quick and easy - is there a software currently avaiable that allows the end user to load an image onto the vu+ duo without having to use a usb serial etc .. ??

squig007

Sicilian
30-11-10, 13:50
No, only USB or serial.

The USB method is a doddle, just copy the files to USB stick, power off Duo, plug in usb stick, power on and it flashes automatically. http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?3-How-to-flash-a-VU-Duo-using-a-USB-stick

silverfox0786
01-12-10, 02:39
You can't loop a Vu+ Duo because it doesn't have loop through.

no not a hardware loopthrough but a soft loop connect single lnb to tuner a set that up then tuner b is set to loopthrough alowing watching and recording at the same time of a single transponder

Huevos
01-12-10, 11:47
single lnb to tuner a set that up then tuner b is set to loopthroughWhere is this option in the Vu+ Duo setup menu? Reason I ask is because if it is same transponder that is not loop, it is merely using 1 tuner to deMUX more than one channel, whereas if it is really using both tuners it wouldn't limit the second tuner to one transponder but to one band and polarity.

jusaju
01-12-10, 12:23
Where is this option in the Vu+ Duo setup menu?

Hi
menu-setup-service searching-tuner configuration and tuner b