PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find information about EPG related details?

birdman
18-10-14, 01:26
One thing that seems to be missing for OpenVIX/Enigma2 is documentation on how to configure things when various plugins don't do what you need.
Perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong place, so does anyone know any documentation/hints on this lot:

How to configure the XMLTV download so that it will work for UK Freeview.
Where are the config files, and how can you program it do get the data you want, and associate it with the relevant channels?
What is the format of the epg.dat file?
Given that the actual EPG data is apparently stored in memory, how can you update the running enigma2 process with additional EPG data?
Is there an API somewhere to do this?
Is there any documentation of the format of bouquet files?
Is there any significance to the filenames (beyond, presumably, bouquets.radio and bouquets.tv)?
What options are there to "ORDER BY" other than "bouquet"?
Is there any significance to the 10 :-separated numbers in a #SERVICE line?
Is the format of the lamedb file documented anywhere?
And what significance do the options which eventually may end up on the p: lines have?

Larry-G
18-10-14, 05:38
Unfortunately, from the very beginning there has never been any real documentation to accompany Enigma 2, every one, our selves included pretty much just picked things up as they went on, which is why it's so damned difficult to find any concrete information for most things related to Enigma 2.

The closest your going to get to documentation at this moment in time is the ViX Manual in our download section at www.openvix.co.uk (http://www.openvix.co.uk)

abu baniaz
18-10-14, 10:02
Why using a web based server for epg data? Its available on the stream.

Enigma2 just "absorbs" the data when on a channel that has the EPG data. Freeview is like freesat in this regard. So in essence all you have to do is be on a chanenl for a while and the data will be downloaded. HAve a look ath thsi post regrading epg refresh plugin. http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?40457-Using-EPG-Refresh-plugin-to-download-the-epg-off-the-stream&p=311199&viewfull=1#post311199 You obviously dont have to enable the Virgin EPG, trest of process is the same.

Where are the config files, and how can you program it do get the data you want, and associate it with the relevant channels?
Not applicable for Freeview/Freesat/Virgin and several other providers abroad. Answered in part above

And what significance do the options which eventually may end up on the p: lines have?
P: = provider, Arqiva, BBC, etc. No harm if blank.

birdman
18-10-14, 12:48
The closest your going to get to documentation at this moment in time is the ViX Manual in our download section at www.openvix.co.uk (http://www.openvix.co.uk)Thanks. I've read that, but it's (unsurprisingly) geared towards satellite setups, and tells you how to use what is provided rather than how to change/extend this when you need something else similar, but different.

Why using a web based server for epg data? Its available on the stream.It is, and that's working fine. But XMLTV (and/or similar feeds) provides 14-day data, and more detailed info as well. So it would be nice if I could set this up as I have it on my old (SD) PVR.

P: = provider, Arqiva, BBC, etc. No harm if blank.There are others which crop up, such as:
p:,c:000065,c:030065,c:050001,c:120066

p:,f:40

abu baniaz
18-10-14, 12:53
Why not submit the xmltv details you use and they could be included?

birdman
18-10-14, 12:58
Why not submit the xmltv details you use and they could be included?On my old PVR I don't actually use xmltv directly - just the data they have, so I don't know any configuration details for it.
If I knew (==had some hints) how to configure xmltv on OpenVIX/Enigma2 then I could set about working out was is needed.

Peterj
27-10-14, 12:04
Is there any documentation of the format of bouquet files?
Is there any significance to the filenames (beyond, presumably, bouquets.radio and bouquets.tv)?
What options are there to "ORDER BY" other than "bouquet"?
Is there any significance to the 10 :-separated numbers in a #SERVICE line?
Is the format of the lamedb file documented anywhere?
[/LIST]
About lamedb. This is what I found somewhere on the big internet:

Lamedb format explained
Lamedb format
File format of lamedb explained.
Taken from /lib/dvb/db.cpp and Tools/Transponder.py.
File is basically a fixed format file where some fields contain multiple values separated by commas of colons. Lines may not exceed 256 characters.
It contains two sections.

Transponders started by a line transponders. Contains transponder frequencies, symbol rates, polarization and satellite position.
Services started by a line services. Contains SSID, Card ID for channels on a particular transponder.

Header Line
The file starts with a line eDVB services /%d/, where %d is format version.
eDVB services /4/
Transponders section
Section starts with a line transponders.
Followed by a DVB line and transponder data line tuples. The DVB data line starts at col 0, the transponder data line immediatly follows and starts with a <TAB>.
Lines starting at col0 contains three fields encoded in hexadecimal:
DVB namespace
Transport stream id
Original network id

Lines starting with a <TAB> character and contain DVB transponder data such as frequency and symbol rate. Three types of DVB transponders can be encoded here:

Satellite DVB
Terestrial DVB
Cable DVB
Satellite lines start with <TAB>s like: s 10773250:22000000:0:2:192:2:0:1:2:0:2 fields for version 3 and 4. All fields are separated by colons, values in decimal.

Frequency in Hertz.
Symbol rate in bits per second.
Polarization: 0=Horizontal, 1=Vertical, 2=Circular Left, 3=Circular right.
Forward Error Control (FEC): 0=None , 1=Auto, 2=1/2, 3=2/3, 4=3/4 5=5/6, 6=7/8, 7=3/5, 8=4/5, 9=8/9, 10=9/10.
Orbital Position: in degrees East: 130 is 13.0E, 192 is 19.2E. Negative values are West -123 is 12.3West.
Inversion: 0=Auto, 1=On, 2=Off
Flags (Only in version 4): Field is absent in version 3.
System: 0=DVB-S 1=DVB-S2.
Modulation: 0=Auto, 1=QPSK, 2=QAM16, 3=8PSK.
Rolloff (Only used in DVB-S2): 0=0.35, 1=0.25, 3=0.20
Pilot (Only used in DVB-S2): 0=Auto, 1=Off, 1=On.

Terrestrial lines start with <TAB>t:

values found in frontendparms.h (github openvix)
/* WARNING: do not change the order of these values, they are used to parse lamedb and terrestrial.xml FEC fields.
The values are NOT the same as those in eDVBFrontendParametersSatellite/eDVBFrontendParametersCable
(and it's too late to fix this now, we would break backward compatibility)
*/
frequency in Hertz. *--
Bandwidth: 0=Auto, 1=8Mhz, 2=7Mhz, 3=6Mhz. *Bandwidth_8MHz, Bandwidth_7MHz, Bandwidth_6MHz, Bandwidth_Auto, Bandwidth_5MHz, Bandwidth_1_712MHz, Bandwidth_10MHz
Code rate High Pass FEC: 0=Auto, 1=1/2, 2=2/3, 3=3/4, 4=5/6, 5=7/8. *FEC_1_2=0, FEC_2_3=1, FEC_3_4=2, FEC_5_6=3, FEC_7_8=4, FEC_Auto=5, FEC_6_7=6, FEC_8_9=7
Code rate Low Pass FEC: 0=Auto, 1=1/2, 2=2/3, 3=3/4, 4=5/6, 5=7/8. *FEC_1_2=0, FEC_2_3=1, FEC_3_4=2, FEC_5_6=3, FEC_7_8=4, FEC_Auto=5, FEC_6_7=6, FEC_8_9=7
Modulation: 0=Auto, 1=QPSK, 2=QAM16, 3=QAM64. *Modulation_QPSK, Modulation_QAM16, Modulation_QAM64, Modulation_Auto, Modulation_QAM256
Transmission mode: 0=Auto, 1=2k, 3=8k *TransmissionMode_2k, TransmissionMode_8k, TransmissionMode_Auto, TransmissionMode_4k, TransmissionMode_1k, TransmissionMode_16k, TransmissionMode_32k
Guard Interval: 0=Auto, 1=1/32, 2=1/16, 3=1/8, 4=1/4 *GuardInterval_1_32, GuardInterval_1_16, GuardInterval_1_8, GuardInterval_1_4, GuardInterval_Auto, GuardInterval_1_128, GuardInterval_19_128, GuardInterval_19_256
Hierarchy: 0=Auto, 1=None, 2=1, 3=2, 4=4 *Hierarchy_None, Hierarchy_1, Hierarchy_2, Hierarchy_4, Hierarchy_Auto
Inversion: 0=Auto, 1=On, 2=Off. *Inversion_Off, Inversion_On, Inversion_Unknown
Flags: (dp.cpp :always 0?)
system:(dp.cpp :int system = eDVBFrontendParametersTerrestrial::System_DVB_T =0? DVB_T2 =1?)
plpid: (dp.cpp :always 0?)

Cable lines start with <TAB>c:

Frequency in Hertz.
Symbol rate.
Inversion: 0=Auto, 1=On, 2=Off.
Modulation: 0=Auto, 1=QAM16, 2=QAM32, 3=QAM64, 4=QAM128, 5=QAM256.
Forward Error Control innert (FEC_inner): 0=None, 1=Auto, 2=1/2, 3=2/3, 4=3/4, 5=5/6, 6=7/8, 7=8/9.
Flags

services section
The section starts with the word services on a line by itself.
Followed by a three line tuple: DVB stream data, Channel name, Provider data line.
The DVB stream data line contains six fields:

Service id (SSID value from stream) in Hex
DVB namespace in Hex.
Transport stream id in Hex
Original network id in Hex
Service type in Decimal: 1=TV, 2=Radio
Service number in Decimal.

The Channel name is on a line by itself in some character encoding (to be investigated)
The last line contains Provider Service data. Variable number of fields, separated by commas. Fields formed like <tag>:value. For example p:Sky Digital,c:000202,c:010282,c:020242,c:030202,c:0500 01,C:0963,C:0961,C:0960.

Provider name field. Field tag p: Name of provider.
Cached data. Field tag c: followed by two decimal digits and four hexadecimal digits. For example c:010282 is composed of 01 decimal cache id, 0282 hexadecimal value to cache.
Card ID (CIAD). Field tag C: follwed by four hexadecimal digits: Card ID. For example C:0100.
Flag data: Field tag f: followed by hexadecimal digits.

Maybe this will help you.
No, there is not a "the Big Enigma2 developers manual".
Most of us are learning from reading others code.
For bouquets I advice to read the code of the plugin "AutoBouquetsMaker" and the scripts of Lraizer.

Rob van der Does
27-10-14, 12:44
Setting up the XMLTV importer on ViX is pretty straight forward;
1- Set it to a daily import (after 08.00 GMT as only then all data will be up to date, and make sure the time doesn't coincide with Cross if you also use Cross),
2- set the number of days (I never got more the 7 days, so not sure where you got 14 days from) and
3- use the blue button to choose the source-packages.

IMHO it can't go wrong following the screen.

birdman
27-10-14, 13:37
About lamedb. This is what I found somewhere on the big internet:
[...cut...]
No, there is not a "the Big Enigma2 developers manual".
Most of us are learning from reading others code.
For bouquets I advice to read the code of the plugin "AutoBouquetsMaker" and the scripts of Lraizer.

Thanks. I was unable to find anything much....

I may write something up based on what I found, if it seems that it might be useful to others.

birdman
27-10-14, 13:47
Setting up the XMLTV importer on ViX is pretty straight forward;
[...cut...]
IMHO it can't go wrong following the screen.Except that the only options for setting it up seem to be Satelllite-based, and I'm using Terrestrial broadcasts.
I've tried "Rytec UK XMLTV", but that produces 0 events.
Which is why I wish to know how it is configured, so I can make UK a Freeview HD config file for it.

Peterj
27-10-14, 14:17
Except that the only options for setting it up seem to be Satelllite-based, and I'm using Terrestrial broadcasts.
I've tried "Rytec UK XMLTV", but that produces 0 events.
Which is why I wish to know how it is configured, so I can make UK a Freeview HD config file for it.

Correct, most of Rytec EPG info is for sat.
Maybe this helps:
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?39097-Multi-Bouquet&highlight=epg+nas

Rob van der Does
27-10-14, 16:02
The originator of the data is Doglover and he lives on

http://forums.openpli.org/forum/52-en-rytec-xmltv-and-epg-support/
Best is to ask him for support.
First thing you should do is to read his tutorial on

http://forums.openpli.org/topic/12274-request-for-adding-epg-for-channels/

birdman
28-10-14, 00:14
Correct, most of Rytec EPG info is for sat.
Maybe this helps:
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?39097-Multi-Bouquet&highlight=epg+nasThat looks interesting.
I already have a Web server running at home (with 3 mirrors, also all at home - gives the little systems something to do...)

judge
28-10-14, 00:34
That looks interesting.
I already have a Web server running at home (with 3 mirrors, also all at home - gives the little systems something to do...)

What are you actually trying to do? You seem to be over complicating things for your actual needs?

birdman
28-10-14, 00:37
What are you actually trying to do? You seem to be over complicating things for your actual needs?From the first post:

Joe_90
28-10-14, 00:42
But, as has been posted earlier, Freeview data for 7 days is available in the EIT stream automatically. It also has a dynamic element to it, certainly for the BBC and ITV/CH4 channels in that EPG data is updated in real-time to reflect urgent changes to schedules. This is something you wouldn't get from a daily update over the internet. I know you posted that you could get a 14 day EPG from XMLTV, but I think Rob was having issues getting any more than 7 days fromX MLTV.

judge
28-10-14, 00:46
From the first post:

As fat-tony points about so, no need for an XMLTV download for UK Freeview, tune to a channel for a minute or 2 & issue sorted. :confused:

birdman
28-10-14, 01:20
But, as has been posted earlier, Freeview data for 7 days is available in the EIT stream automatically. It also has a dynamic element to it, certainly for the BBC and ITV/CH4 channels in that EPG data is updated in real-time to reflect urgent changes to schedules. This is something you wouldn't get from a daily update over the internet. I know you posted that you could get a 14 day EPG from XMLTV, but I think Rob was having issues getting any more than 7 days fromX MLTV.My old PVR actually had a way of combining the Radio Times (XMLTV-derived) data feed (14-days - from http://xmltv.radiotimes.com/xmltv) with that from the EIT stream: dynamically. This meant that I could get the fuller descriptions from XMLTV, but also got dynamic updates from the EIT if programmes overran (live sport, or extended news).

So I'm trying to figure out how to download XMLTV data, and what the format of epg.dat is (look at the first post in the thread).

Joe_90
28-10-14, 02:02
I too was interested in the format of epg.dat, but none of the normal db handling tools seem to be able to parse it. Probably you are going to have to delve into enigma code to work it out - it's not THAT interesting to me such that I would try to work it out from the code.

Rob van der Does
28-10-14, 05:53
I fail to see the relation with the epg.dat file. That is only a kind of hibernation file: it stores all EPG data from RAM when E2 shuts down, and the same data is laoded into RAM again when E2 starts.

E2 will add all data it gets to the existing data. So if it gets e.g. EIT-data from the transponder this data is in RAM. As soon as other data becomes available, no matter what the source is, it will be added to the data that's already in RAM.
So you should focus on getting data in RAM, not look at epg.dat.

The above mentioned system also has an inherent danger: if the sources have conflicts, you'll end up with multiple entries.
If say source 1 states that show a is from xxx-yyy and source b has either a different name (ab) and/or a (slightly) different time, you'll have 2 entries:
a xxx-yyy and ab xxy-yyz.

And when you provider supports EIT for a week, you can consider yourself a happy man. Why want more?

DaMacFunkin
28-10-14, 09:39
But surely you will actually need some one to write the XML tv file with freeview frequencys and muxes present then actually constantly provide the epg data in that format for you to download it, unless you are going to write something that parses the 28.2 information and remaps it to freeview channel id's.

birdman
28-10-14, 10:46
I fail to see the relation with the epg.dat file. That is only a kind of hibernation file: it stores all EPG data from RAM when E2 shuts down, and the same data is laoded into RAM again when E2 starts.And to add data to the EPG you need to shutdown E2, so I'm assuming that this is so you can update epg.dat and then restart E2 to load that new data file.
If there were a way to add data to a running E2 then then the XMLTV loader wouldn't need to restart it.

Or am I making false inferences and assumptions here?

The above mentioned system also has an inherent danger: if the sources have conflicts, you'll end up with multiple entries.
If say source 1 states that show a is from xxx-yyy and source b has either a different name (ab) and/or a (slightly) different time, you'll have 2 entries:
a xxx-yyy and ab xxy-yyz.So what I really need is to be able to get the EIT data, merge it (in some intelligent way) with the downloaded data and feed all of that back as the sole EPG data. This means I'd need to know that data structures in epg.dat, and I have to start somewhere.

And when you provider supports EIT for a week, you can consider yourself a happy man. Why want more?Because I'm used to having more EPG, and when it's possible what's wrong with wanting something better.

birdman
28-10-14, 10:58
But surely you will actually need some one to write the XML tv file with freeview frequencys and muxes present then actually constantly provide the epg data in that format for you to download it, unless you are going to write something that parses the 28.2 information and remaps it to freeview channel id's.Getting the EPG data itself isn't an issue (I already do it for an older PVR). XMLTV is just a download mechanism that alreayd exists on OpenVIX, so it seemed a good place to start asking questions.

And I can't see what frequencies have to do with it - TV channels are known by unique names. Different Freeview regions use different frequencies for the same channel broadcasts.

Larry-G
28-10-14, 16:45
what's wrong with wanting something better.

Nothing what so ever, in fact that's the founding principle behind the ViX image and the OE-Alliance in one neat little sound bite. If we knew the info you needed we would tell you.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

abu baniaz
28-10-14, 17:52
And I can't see what frequencies have to do with it - TV channels are known by unique names. Different Freeview regions use different frequencies for the same channel broadcasts.
Worth emphasising (for benefit of others) that this is only for DVB-T.

birdman
28-10-14, 17:56
If we knew the info you needed we would tell you.Well, after days of silence I was rather inundated yesterday.

Still no info on the format of Bouquet files, though.

abu baniaz
28-10-14, 18:10
Might be an idea to download a channel settings pack and view contents.

Enigma2 does radio and TV chanenls as two differnt items, so you have a bouquets.tv and bouquets.radio file.
Each of those lists .tv files.
Those .tv files list the services.
The services are listed in the lamdeb file.

Rob van der Does
28-10-14, 19:27
And to add data to the EPG you need to shutdown E2, so I'm assuming that this is so you can update epg.dat and then restart E2 to load that new data file.
If there were a way to add data to a running E2 then then the XMLTV loader wouldn't need to restart it.

Or am I making false inferences and assumptions here?
As I tried to explain above normally all EPG data is added in a live-system. Reading EIT data is done when tuned to a transponder. Using Cross for Open-TV is done in a live system. Importing RYTEC data via the XMLTV importer is also in a live system (i.e. in RAM).
The EPG.dat is really only a kind of hibernation file.

Getting the EPG data itself isn't an issue (I already do it for an older PVR). XMLTV is just a download mechanism that alreayd exists on OpenVIX, so it seemed a good place to start asking questions.

TV & Radio services are known by a unique service reference, in which the name is also present. But the name alone is not unique (or better: doesn't have to be unique).

birdman
28-10-14, 23:24
Enigma2 does radio and TV chanenls as two differnt items, so you have a bouquets.tv and bouquets.radio file.
Each of those lists .tv files.
Those .tv files list the services.
The services are listed in the lamdeb file.That much I'd worked out.
But there is also a requirement (for me) to get the channels onto the "correct" numbers, as the DVB-T(2) scan doesn't put them into lamedb (if it did then ABM might do what I want?).
From what I can see this requires me to pad the userbouquet.* files with the relevant number of "dummy" channel lines (I did work out what this entry looks like once, but can't find the info at the moment). But it would be simpler if there were a way to get the program number counter set to a specific value instead (Freeview radio channels start at 700 - which is a lot of dummy entries).

And the bouquets.* files both contain "ORDER BY bouquet". What does this ,mean, and how else can you ORDER them?

abu baniaz
28-10-14, 23:46
You wont be able to get radio numbers starting at 700. As sated earlier E2 splits radio channels from TV channels. I dont see the merit of padding the radio number so they match the LCN values. You will always have to switch between radio and TV. Surely simpler to just select the radio channel from bouquet?

I dont understand in what context you are mentioning ABM and lamedb. Conventional scan and ABM both write to lamdeb. ABM for terrestrial does not recognise T2 chanenls yet. However standard terrestrial channels are placed in correct order and positions (excluding radio). If this is not working for you, we would need to know what exact settings you have used for ABM. (All the settings for ABM)

Sorry I dont know answer to your last question.

birdman
29-10-14, 00:37
You wont be able to get radio numbers starting at 700.I suspect that I can (and am willing to try). I'd also put some Internet streaming radio (BBC Local radio channles, for example) in the radio list somewhere underneath that, once I can figure out how to enter urls such that they actually work.

As sated earlier E2 splits radio channels from TV channels. I dont see the merit of padding the radio number so they match the LCN values. You will always have to switch between radio and TV. Surely simpler to just select the radio channel from bouquet?It's actually much quicker to enter "706<Enter>" to get to R5SX rather than to open up an EPG or Bouquet and look for it.

I dont understand in what context you are mentioning ABM and lamedb. Conventional scan and ABM both write to lamdeb.AFAIK ABM only writes bouguet files. It reads lamedb, so that it can get the channel info.[/quote]

ABM for terrestrial does not recognise T2 channels yet. However standard terrestrial channels are placed in correct order and positions (excluding radio).That's how I found out how to do the channel number padding. But I forgot to take a copy of the files, and have changed them since (how, or why, I forget) so it's on my list to generate them again.
They also have an example of how to skip large numbers (or at least there was a big skip in the numbering, and not just he skip to 1000+), although I couldn't figure out the logic in the short time I looked at it.

abu baniaz
29-10-14, 00:54
ABM obtains data from satellite/transmitter/headend and writes to lamdeb too.It adds to existing data though. Try it with no channel data on receiver.

birdman
29-10-14, 00:57
ABM obtains data from satellite/transmitter/headend and writes to lamdeb too.It adds to existing data though. Try it with no channel data on receiver.I can't think of anything it could write there. But since I need to do a test ABM run anyway, I can find out what it does then.
By "no channel data on receiver", do you mean "unplug the aerial"?

abu baniaz
29-10-14, 01:00
No lamedb and no bouquets on receiver.

init 4 && rm -rf /etc/enigma2/lamedb && rm -rf /etc/enigma2/*.tv && rm -rf /etc/enigma2/*.radio && init 3

It writes the service details as per provider.

birdman
29-10-14, 01:19
No lamedb and no bouquets on receiver.
...It writes the service details as per provider.I'd assumed that this would be done by ABM checking for lamedb exisiting first and, if it isn't there, kicking of a scan and waiting until it completed before continuing.
Anything else would be code duplication.

And I'd consider this to be ABM initiating a scan, rather than ABM writing to lamedb.

abu baniaz
29-10-14, 01:43
ABM "scan" and channel scan are different. ABM doesn't just "scan" though. I consider "ABM scan" to be "downloading channel data", creating channel data on receiver, removing obsolete data, creating/updating bouquets.

You possibly won't apprecaite the differnce if my presumption of you setting your tuner to sandy heath are correct. Set to Europe and then scan, it will be different. If you had a satellite tuner, you would truly appreciate the difference.

birdman
29-10-14, 02:33
You possibly won't apprecaite the differnce if my presumption of you setting your tuner to sandy heath are correct. Set to Europe and then scan, it will be different. If you had a satellite tuner, you would truly appreciate the difference.Given that the tuning data for Sandy Heath has the frequencies for every mux it broadcasts, I can't see how a scan for Europe (== all of UHF) will get anything different. There isn't (or at least shouldn't) be anything more there.

abu baniaz
29-10-14, 02:51
It is not about getting more. It is about appreciating the difference.

birdman
29-10-14, 03:07
It is not about getting more. It is about appreciating the difference.An interesting concept.
I don't want to get less, as that would mean I'm missing channels.
So if I don't get more, then I'm struggling to see the difference.

Rob van der Does
29-10-14, 07:45
@ Birdman:
1- the lamedb is used for zapping. You can't zap to any service that's not in the lamedb.
2- Did you have a go with

http://forums.openpli.org/topic/35499-epg-convert-to-rytec/?view=findpost&p=451518
as suggested earlier?

birdman
29-10-14, 12:01
@ Birdman:
2- Did you have a go with

http://forums.openpli.org/topic/35499-epg-convert-to-rytec/?view=findpost&p=451518
as suggested earlier?Thanks.
I didn't see any suggestion for that, but from what I can see that is a means of scraping data from OpenWebif HTML pages and creating a Rytec formatted XML file from it.
Getting the data out of my box is not my problem. It's how to get it into it that I'm looking at.

Joe_90
29-10-14, 12:11
@Birdman - the ABM process is different to the normal E2 scanning process. Take the Astra satellite cluster as an example. If you run an E2 scan on 28.2 (whole satellite), it will run through its list of transponders plus the network PIDs, tune to them sequentially and extract every channel and store them in lamedb.
With an empty lamedb, if you run ABM and set it for Freesat and/or SKY for particular region(s) it will tune to the home transponder of Freesat and extract a list of transponder frequencies and the Freesat services from that home transponder. It will store the frequencies and service names in lamedb. Similarly it will tune to the SKY home transponder extract the details etc. etc. The difference between the ABM scan and an E2 scan is that it runs in about one minute and extracts those services contained within the SKY/Freesat bouquet of channels. An E2 scan will take much longer and will extract (theoretically) every service from every transponder it tunes to.

birdman
29-10-14, 17:20
@Birdman - the ABM process is different to the normal E2 scanning process....Which explains the comment from abu baniaz (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/member.php?3027-abu-baniaz) then.
But since I only have DVB-T(2) tuners, and have them set to Sandy Heath (which now has all of its mux frequencies defined in terrestial.xml), I'm not going to see any actual difference. It is already scanning as quickly as it can and getting all that it can (although not storing channel numbers in lamedb...)

Joe_90
29-10-14, 17:42
For terrestrial the situation is similar, but on a much smaller scale. Freeview covers all the SD and HD channels in about 7 multiplexes ( equivalent to transponders in the satellite environment) from Sandy Heath. Well, about 6 and a bit multiplexes if you eliminate the SD equivalents of the BBCs and ITV. ABM tunes to the primary multiplex (PSB1/BBCA) and then uses frequency information stored in the NIT PID to populate the channel information on lamedb without having to tune to all the other multiplexes. It's working for SD, but not (as far as I know) for HD. ABM doesn't work at all well in the Irish DVB-T environment due to duff frequency info held in the NIT.
The E2 scan that you are doing will pull in all the HD and SD channels as you say, but the E2 scan does not seem to use the channel numbers (LCNs) stored in the service information, so you don't get a nicely sorted scan as you would on a commercial Freeview receiver. The advantage with ABM is that it orders the channels. I just do an E2 scan of my local multiplexes and store the services manually in my favourites list. As there are only about 10 TV and 9 radio channels live so far on the Irish DVB-T service it's not a big deal.

birdman
29-10-14, 18:03
For terrestrial the situation is similar, but on a much smaller scale. ...It's working for SD, but not (as far as I know) for HD.Which, for me, means that it's not working.
The E2 scan that you are doing will pull in all the HD and SD channels as you say, but the E2 scan does not seem to use the channel numbers (LCNs) stored in the service information, so you don't get a nicely sorted scan as you would on a commercial Freeview receiver. The advantage with ABM is that it orders the channels.
Which is why I've been asking about the format of bouquet files.
So what I intend to do is:

Save a copy of what I currently have (it's not what I want, but everything is there - just not in the "right" place).
Do an ABM scan from scratch. See what its lamedb and bouquet files look like.
Do an E2 scan for Sandy Heath (which will pull in the HD channels).
Work out, based on 2, what bouquet files should look like for what I want.
Write a Perl script (which I'll run off-box) to process my full lamedb file (from 3) into the full set of bouquet files that I need and, at the same time, producing a picons directory with correctly-named picons (the Freeview service tags are different to the satellite ones, even though the channels are the same). The Perl script will be driven by a <DATA> section that describes whcih channels I want where, and with what numbers.

5. is the easy bit.

Joe_90
29-10-14, 18:52
Might be stating the bleedin' obvious, so forgive me, but have you tried Dreamboxedit? I use that to tweak my own Favourites. It handles the lamedb and bouquet files through drag and drop and provides service reference details which you can use for linking picons etc.

abu baniaz
29-10-14, 18:57
I would also use ABM then scan (or other way round) before manipulating with DBedit. Apart from the HD channels, all the other TV chanenls will be in order. (Not sure what will be done on merging TV and radio together.)

We have picons for UK already.

birdman
29-10-14, 19:06
Might be stating the bleedin' obvious, so forgive me, but have you tried DreamboxeditYes, but it suffers form two issues.

It doesn't let me assign channel numbers
It's manual, so the next time that the Freeview channels re-organize or have new additions/deletions I'd need to go through a lot of it again. With a (personalized) script I'd just need to edit the script (quick) and run it again.

I can use it to find out what an IPTV or Radio entry should look like, though.

abu baniaz
29-10-14, 19:14
When you get a chance, have look at LCN scanner plugin and attepmpt to fix it. Its not working for the UK.
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?30712-LCN-Scanner-dor-DVB-T&p=231058&viewfull=1#post231058

birdman
29-10-14, 19:16
I would also use ABM then scan (or other way round) before manipulating with DBedit.A text editor is all I really need for a text file. And I've built my favourite (uemacs) to run on the box already (first thin I did after getting it up and running).

Apart from the HD channels, all the other TV channels will be in order. (Not sure what will be done on merging TV and radio together.)In an order, but not split as I wish.
I don't intend to merge TV and radio (but I might try it to see whether it works). If it does I could use the same bouquet lists for both (so it wouldn't matter which set I was on). However, I suspect that they are separated for a reason.

We have picons for UK already.I did come across a set for UK Freeview, but the ~50% of the names were wrong for the lamedb entries I had (slight numbering differences). It looked like they might be transmitter-specific in some way.

abu baniaz
29-10-14, 19:22
I did come across a set for UK Freeview, but the ~50% of the names were wrong for the lamedb entries I had (slight numbering differences). It looked like they might be transmitter-specific in some way.
The picons are named after their service reference. It does not matter what the channel name or position is.

birdman
29-10-14, 19:29
When you get a chance, have look at LCN scanner plugin and attepmpt to fix it. Its not working for the UK.
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?30712-LCN-Scanner-dor-DVB-T&p=231058&viewfull=1#post231058Could well do, if I knew where the source was (that item just links to the installable compiled-binary). [and it's not in git://github.com/oe-alliance/enigma2-plugins.git or git://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-alliance-plugins.git]
Although, at a rough guess, this isn't going to get very far if the tuner scans don't pout the LCN into the lamedb file.

birdman
29-10-14, 19:36
The picons are named after their service reference. It does not matter what the channel name or position is.Which is what was wrong. Hence the mention of numbering differences, rather than naming.

abu baniaz
29-10-14, 19:38
It is not wrong, it's the way E2 works. Number or name does not matter with regards to picons.

birdman
29-10-14, 19:48
It is not wrong, it's the way E2 works. Number or name does not matter with regards to picons.We may well be talking about different picons sets.
The one I'm talking about is a file called "Rat DTT picons 2014 sept19.rar".
As an example, this contains:
1_0_19_4440_4084_233A_EEEE0000_0_0_0.png

but that needs to be
1_0_19_4440_4083_233A_EEEE0000_0_0_0.png

for my transmitter data.

Peterj
29-10-14, 21:25
Could well do, if I knew where the source was (that item just links to the installable compiled-binary). [and it's not in git://github.com/oe-alliance/enigma2-plugins.git or git://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-alliance-plugins.git]
Although, at a rough guess, this isn't going to get very far if the tuner scans don't pout the LCN into the lamedb file.

E2 isn't doing anything with LCN. It is not in lamedb or in the bouquets.
The channel numbers in the bouquets are just the place where the channels are put into the bouquets.
That's why ABM uses a lot of dummy channels to simulate the original LCN.
Also a lot of providers (most of them) aren't using the 'official' LCN descriptors in the TS stream. Almost for every provider we must find out where they are hidding LCN (if there is any) and adjust the code in ABM for that specific provider.

birdman
29-10-14, 23:51
E2 isn't doing anything with LCN. It is not in lamedb or in the bouquets.
That's why ABM uses a lot of dummy channels to simulate the original LCN.IIRC one way that ABM knows where to add the dummy channels is because of the LCN being in lamedb. I'm sure I managed to get this to happen once (to get BBC HD onto 101) but could well be mis-remembering.

Also a lot of providers (most of them) aren't using the 'official' LCN descriptors in the TS stream. On terrestrial UK Freeview they do. Each channel has, and uses, a unique LCN. Although I can see that if you also have cable or satellite tuners running then this may lead to all sort of clashes. Just that, since I don't, I'd like to take advantage of it.

birdman
30-10-14, 01:10
I would also use ABM then scan (or other way round) before manipulating with DBedit. Apart from the HD channels, all the other TV chanenls will be in order.Well, perhaps this is part of the reason that the HD channels don't get handled (the other being that the ABM scan doesn't actually find them).
This is a screen shot of the ABM log after scanning with no existing lamedb or bouquets.* files. It's a screen shot as, although I can display this log on the TV, there is no related file created on the system.

This is complaining that /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/AutoBouquetsMaker/custom/hd_terrestrial_freeview_GB_CustomLCN.xml doesn't exit. Which is true. There is an EXAMPLE_.... in the directory, but how are you supposed to know that you need to configure a file, and where that file is? There is no mention of this possibility before (or when) running ABM.

judge
30-10-14, 01:16
@birdman can you explain what you are trying to do? I'm sure I'm not the only one confused by this thread.
Also, what build are you using & what was the last build you didn't restore a settings backup on?

abu baniaz
30-10-14, 01:18
ABM does not detect T2 chanenls. It is on list of things to be done. Sky 19.2, Turksat and possibly merging between different multiuplexers are higher up on the list.

With regards to your comment, It is not complaining, it is stating. CustomLCN is optional for those who wish to alter the LCN. Feel free to read the LCN customistaion thread that PeterJ created recently.

Have you pressed the TV button and seen the created bouquets and in what order the chanenls are?

birdman
30-10-14, 01:27
@birdman can you explain what you are trying to do?I'm trying to get a "UK Freeview (HD) only" box set up with all channels showing the correct LCN. People keep suggesting that I use some existing tool, despite the fact that none of these achieve what I want. so I've been asking about the format of various files, as once I know what that is I;ll be able to do the rest myself (nearly there now - just have to code the script to do it all).

Also, what build are you using & what was the last build you didn't restore a settings backup on?I'm on Apollo 070, but the settings don't matter as removing the lamedb and bouquet files is simple ( I clearecd thme out before the last ABM run, and will now put back the ones I've had for a few weeks to run with until my script is working.).

judge
30-10-14, 01:35
I'm trying to get a "UK Freeview (HD) only" box set up with all channels showing the correct LCN. People keep suggesting that I use some existing tool, despite the fact that none of these achieve what I want. so I've been asking about the format of various files, as once I know what that is I;ll be able to do the rest myself (nearly there now - just have to code the script to do it all).
So, a simple ABM scan of FreeSat (UK) area doesn't work for you? What issues does it have?

birdman
30-10-14, 01:36
With regards to your comment, It is not complaining, it is stating. CustomLCN is optional for those who wish to alter the LCN. Feel free to read the LCN customistaion thread that PeterJ created recently.I did. Quite helpful (once you know it's there) but the section number definitions are (I think) those for satellite(Sky)? They are definitely not the Freeview ones.
Also, I did put the file in place (by copying the EXAMPLE_* file):
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6848 Oct 30 00:07 /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/AutoBouquetsMaker/custom/hd_terrestrial_freeview_GB_CustomLCN.xmlbut another ABM scan with this there produced the same error message. Confused? I certainly am...

Have you pressed the TV button and seen the created bouquets and in what order the chanenls are?Yes. That's very handy. There are lots of gaps (e.g. 200 -> 601) so I can see how these are handled.
And in the Radio section it has the IP/MHEG6/text(?) channels at 200-up, with Radio at 700-up, which is what I want.

As I've saved the enigma2 directory at various stages along the way I should now have want I need to hand-craft my own bouquet files. (I've never expected any of the existing tools to be able to do it.)

birdman
30-10-14, 02:00
So, a simple ABM scan of FreeSat (UK) area doesn't work for you? What issues does it have?No, as I have Freeview not Freesat. Different things.

abu baniaz
30-10-14, 12:08
The section number definitions are (I think) those for satellite(Sky)? They are definitely not the Freeview ones.
Check here
http://www.freeview.co.uk/whats-on/channels

http://www.freeview.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Freeview-Channel-Guide_21-Oct-2014.pdf

There are lots of gaps (e.g. 200 -> 601) so I can see how these are handled.
And in the Radio section it has the IP/MHEG6/text(?) channels at 200-up, with Radio at 700-up, which is what I want.
As I've saved the enigma2 directory at various stages along the way I should now have want I need to hand-craft my own bouquet files. (I've never expected any of the existing tools to be able to do it.)
It was suggested a lot earlier to you to use ABM. I'll have to consult the ABM guy on skipping those those text/broadband services as E2 receivers cant use them.

In the terrestrial_freeview_GB.xml file, edit the sections section so that it is like this.

<section number="1">Entertainment</section>
<section number="100">High Definition</section>
<section number="120">Children</section>
<section number="130">News</section>
<section number="170">Adult</section>
<section number="600">BBC Interactive</section>

You can then move the HD channels easily by editing the file.
autobouquet.terrestrial_freeview_GB.main.tv

Peterj
30-10-14, 12:43
IIRC one way that ABM knows where to add the dummy channels is because of the LCN being in lamedb. I'm sure I managed to get this to happen once (to get BBC HD onto 101) but could well be mis-remembering.

Absolutely not. As I mentioned before E2 doesn't store LCN.
ABM reads NIT and SDT table from providers TS stream where freq, channelnames, LCN etc are broadcast.

birdman
30-10-14, 16:19

Write a Perl script (which I'll run off-box) to process my full lamedb file (from 3) into the full set of bouquet files that I need and, at the same time, producing a picons directory with correctly-named picons (the Freeview service tags are different to the satellite ones, even though the channels are the same). The Perl script will be driven by a <DATA> section that describes whcih channels I want where, and with what numbers.

5. is the easy bit.The part to create the bouquet files is done. I now have all of my channels with the numbers I expect.
Now I have to add the picon handling part...

Larry-G
30-10-14, 16:59
The part to create the bouquet files is done. I now have all of my channels with the numbers I expect.
Now I have to add the picon handling part...

Congratulation, it's nice to see the progression of your project.

birdman
30-10-14, 18:14
Now I have to add the picon handling part...Also now done.

Now I just need to check whether there is an tidy up the code that cane be done and add some more comments and documentation to it.

birdman
31-10-14, 00:00
I don't intend to merge TV and radio (but I might try it to see whether it works).Well - a quick test of adding in a file of radio channels at the end of bouquets.tv shows that it does work.
The channel numbering is fine, once I put in the correct number of pads to get form 601 to 700 (not to 1202...).
So I may well just generate one set of bouquets and use them on both tv and radio, so I don't need to switch.