PDA

View Full Version : [TM-TWIN-OE] TM-TWIN Random Reboots

stilts
17-10-14, 09:48
Hi everyone,

For quite a while now I have been encountering random reboots with Vix on my TM-TWIN, this has been on/off for quite a while. I have in the past had various plugins installed which I think may have contributed to some of them with possible memory issues, however, more recently I have upgraded to the latest version of Apollo and only restored my settings with no additional plugins.

Yesterday evening whilst watching BBC One HD I had 3 reboots in a 15 minute period, no crash messages displayed on screen, the TV just went black for a few seconds and then the boot process started, I had enabled debug logs the previous night so I will be attaching the log I think is the most useful.

There's nothing too obvious to me at the end of the log file when the crash occurred, however, I have spotted the following which might mean something to someone:

[iInputDevices] getInputDevices <ERROR: ioctl(EVIOCGNAME): [Errno 25] Inappropriate ioctl for device >
setPixmapNum(0) failed! defined pixmaps: []

I have 3 log files in total and the above errors are in all of them.

Possibly one other thing to note, and I don't know if it's linked at all, the reboots started to occur not too long after I'd switched on my Yamaha Amp (RX-V673), the TM-TWIN is connected directly to the amp via HDMI, however, when the amp is in standby I can still watch TV (HDMI pass-through), but I had switched it only for the surround sound.37813

If anyone can advise on what's possibly causing these it would be much appreciated.

abu baniaz
17-10-14, 11:26
Can you try without the amp for a few days?

stilts
17-10-14, 11:29
Hi abu,

I can, but long term is this feasible, are there any settings that can be changed should this be the root cause?

abu baniaz
17-10-14, 11:37
If that is the root cause, we have to wait for TM to fix it.

stilts
17-10-14, 11:40
Is there anything in the attached log that indicates this as the problem (linked to what took place)?

stilts
18-10-14, 18:22
Update,

Another random reboot, Yamaha Amp not on so it can't be linked to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abu baniaz
18-10-14, 19:14
Not on or not connected?

stilts
18-10-14, 20:25
Well it is connected, amp in standby.

Do you think I should simply try the twin direct to tv via hdmi and use the optical out to the amp?

abu baniaz
18-10-14, 20:29
Yes please. Direct connection between receiver and TV.

stilts
18-10-14, 20:32
Ok

stilts
19-10-14, 20:05
3787337874Hi Abu, update

Sat receiver connected directly to TV earlier, since then I've had another 2 reboots (new logs attached).

The only other thing I know that I've done to the box after flashing it was to upgrade the skin to my favourite which was 'Magic-HD-Noire', I have since set it back to the default just in case (Vix-Night-HD) - no other plugins installed.

Hopefully something might be obvious in the logs.

stilts
19-10-14, 21:37
And another reboot since returning to default skin.

It's becoming very annoying, looking very unstable!

Would it be a good idea to try say a '4D' image?

stilts
19-10-14, 21:38
It has an internal 1Tb hard disk too if that helps in anyway (for the problem)

abu baniaz
19-10-14, 21:50
I doubt it is your hard dive, but you can try with it disconnected. If you try another image, try with the bear minimum/simplest setup.

TM tell people to use the 4D image. Dont use a premade chanenl list, initialise your HDD, dont install any plugins. They have to start at simplest level. Their developers use the 4D image, so that is what they use.

If it was a VIx image issue, then we would be inundated with random reboot issues. Problem is trapping the fault and being able to reproduce it.

judge
19-10-14, 21:52
Could it be overheating?
What temps are being reported in Menu -> Information -> About?
Where is the box? anything blocking airflow?

stilts
19-10-14, 21:54
Thanks guys!

System temp is 47deg, on a shelf with plenty of space.

Is there nothing in the logs I've uploaded so far that indicates anything?

abu baniaz
19-10-14, 22:30
Reboots and crashes are two differnt things. Crash easy, reboot not. I've not noticed anything odd, but I'm not very experienced.

Might be worth following this advice. If you get an issue, then it will be hardware. But very important you follow it to the letter.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/images/BlueSteel/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Sicilian http://www.world-of-satellite.com/images/BlueSteel/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?p=319097#post319097)

Just been reading thru this thread. Imo something is being setup wrong and you need to track down what.

I'd suggest the following.

1) Disconnect ALL storage devices even Internal HDD is you have one.
2) Do a complete fresh and setup of latest ViX Build DO NOT RESTORE ANY BACKUPS.
3) Setup ONLY for FREESAT using Autobouquetsmaker, set for your area. Menu > Setup > Service Searching > AutobouqetsMaker.

Do not setup or add ANYTHING extra, no softcams, nothing, run exactly as free to air for at least 24 hours. Use EXACTLY as default, do not setup and EPG import settings, nothing.

stilts
19-10-14, 22:33
Okay, will do, thanks Abu

stilts
21-10-14, 20:04
Quick update,

TM-TWIN flashed with latest Apollo build (062), no settings restored.

Will see how it goes and provide a further update.

stilts
23-10-14, 08:56
Hi Abu/Everyone,

Another reboot yesterday evening whilst watching BBC One HD, again nothing much recorded in the crash/debug log (attached).

When I flashed the unit with Apollo 062 I set it up as Freesat using autobouquet maker, but, apologies on this, I didn't disable/remove the internal hard disk.

The hard disk is being used not only for recordings and timeshift but also for Picons and EPG, I can and will remove the disk if you believe that this will help diagnose.

Cheers.37935

stilts
23-10-14, 09:30
Hello again,

I've just realized after reviewing a couple of guides that whilst I've been performing the flash updates I've not done the following step:

"When booting the receiver for the first time after flashing a new image Technomate advise that you start repeatedly pressing the EXIT button on front panel and keep repeatedly pressing EXIT for 10 seconds after power on."

If I've been missing this out could:

1. This be the problem, some sort of memory leak
2. The flash update be invalid somehow

Thanks again in advance!

stilts
23-10-14, 10:44
Running the unix 'top' command shows the following memory stats, is this normal:

Mem: 137272k total, 119048k used, 18224k free, 340k buffers

So only around 18Mb free memory, this isn't something I've monitored so can't comment if it's been dropping to zero and then rebooting.

Thanks!

stilts
23-10-14, 20:30
Hi Abu/Everyone,

I've this evening flashed again with the latest build (Apollo 064), this time remembering to continuously press the 'Exit' button after powering on again, memory stats looks similar to that of before:

Mem: 137272k total, 125952k used, 11320k free, 784k buffers

I've now also updated my settings to get the picons from internal flash, EPG from USB stick and therefore only using the internal hard disk for recordings/playback and timeshift.

Will provide a further update (positive or negative), fingers crossed for now.

Cheers!

abu baniaz
23-10-14, 21:01
The exit button presses were to partition memory. I don't think they are needed any more. You wouldn't know what bootloader you have?

stilts
23-10-14, 21:12
I flashed that too, it's the one on the current Vix bootloaders downloads for TM-TWIN.

stilts
23-10-14, 21:24
Oh well, no luck, another reboot.

Think I've tried pretty much everything I can think of now.

Might have to try a 4D image and see how it responds.

judge
23-10-14, 21:40
Try with timeshift disabled too.

stilts
23-10-14, 22:00
Hi Judge,

What's your reason/thoughts for that, I've always had this enabled for all images?

cypchris
23-10-14, 22:12
i think you might find that you have a faulty power supply

stilts
23-10-14, 22:16
Thanks cypchris,

What makes you think that, and is there any way that this can be diagnosed and proven?

The unit never powers off, just a screen freeze (no on screen errors/messages) followed by the reboot.

Cheers!

judge
23-10-14, 22:26
Hi Judge,

What's your reason/thoughts for that, I've always had this enabled for all images?

Just another thing to try & rule out if it's not the issue.

stilts
23-10-14, 22:37
Hi Judge,

I've disabled timeshift for now, like you say something else to rule out.

Cheers!

stilts
24-10-14, 16:30
Hi Everyone,

No update from the box behavior at the moment, but thought I'd share this thread I found which appears to be quite similar to my experience:

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?36884-Random-shutdown-of-VU-Duo&highlight=cache+flush

I still have timeshift disabled but I have also enabled the swap file (256Mb) and installed the cache flush plugin too.

Also read the following which suggests that enabling the swap file on some older models is beneficial:

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?38477-Swap-manager-what-is-this&highlight=twin+swap

Cheers!

stilts
26-10-14, 09:21
Update,

None of the above has helped either, a few reboots yesterday and another this morning.

stilts
26-10-14, 10:39
Well due to not getting anywhere with this issue I thought that I'd try to flash back to a 4D image, however, for some strange reason the box isn't giving me the standard 'New Software Found' message any more - can't understand why as the directory structure on the USB is that same for 4D as it is for Vix.

Tried putting a Vix image on the USB too just to check, however, the same problem.

I then went into the Vix image manager and restored an old image, during this I noticed a message saying '3 bad blocks', could this be the reason why it's no longer flashing?

Can I also copy the 4D image to the box and use Vix image manager to install it?

Cheers

stilts
26-10-14, 12:15
Copied the 4D image file to hard disk and used Vix image manager to install/restore that image, this was successful.

I've setup everything on 4D as I would like (timeshift, recording paths etc).

I'll continue to monitor the box for reboots and report back.

If it doesn't reboot then I'm guessing that something's not quite right with the Vix image somewhere.

Cheers!

stilts
27-10-14, 22:38
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd provide a quick update on this, the 4D image has been rock solid since installing it, no reboots at all, everything running fine.

One observation I have made when installing this image was with the hard disk initialization, the Apollo release was not allowing me to run either a filesystem check nor initialization on the internal hard disk, I kept receiving an error message advising that the device couldn't be unmounted, however, the 4D image managed both of these tasks with no errors.

Not sure therefore if there is a driver issue/problem with the release of Apollo, as mentioned in my previous thread updates, I was running with the latest release in an attempt to resolve the rebooting, I didn't note though when I first observed the issue. A friend of mine also has a TM-TWIN, he is running Apollo 3, he has not encountered any reboots like myself.

If the box remains stable on 4D over the next couple of days I'm going to try and flash it with Apollo 3 and see how I get on (unless anyone else has a better suggestion?).

Cheers!

stilts
29-10-14, 09:46
Update.

Day 4 running the 4D image now and no reboots at all, therefore this must be a problem with the Vix image (driver issues maybe?).

It's more important that I have a stable image running than anything else, however, there are quite a few features/plugins in Vix that I like running which aren't available in 4D.

So, can anyone advise of a 'rock solid' Vix image that they know runs on a TM-TWIN with no issues which also has a full stable set of drivers from Technomate running on it?

Thanks in advance.

stilts

stilts
01-11-14, 12:29
Update.

Well after almost 1 week of running the 4D image and zero reboots I have this morning reflashed the TWIN with Apollo 071, everything setup as required, I even managed to access the storage/initialization menu and initialize the internal hard disk which I couldn't previously.

Keeping all fingers and toes crossed.

abu baniaz
01-11-14, 12:54
Glad to hear for you.

stilts
01-11-14, 21:33
Feeling disappointed!

Less than 12 hours back on Vix and another reboot.

Going back to 4D simply for the stability.

I really can't understand what's going wrong here.

My friend has just upgraded his too from an older version of Apollo (3) to 71, his has been totally stable on that old version, so, I'm actually hoping his starts behaving like mine just so I can say it's something wrong with Vix.

Cheers

abu baniaz
01-11-14, 22:07
The 4d image uses old kernel and drivers.

stilts
01-11-14, 22:10
Is there anything else I can do in order to use Vix?

stilts
01-11-14, 22:17
Surely they should be quite a lot of owners of these boxes reporting similar problems, just can't understand it

Larry-G
02-11-14, 17:28
Surely they should be quite a lot of owners of these boxes reporting similar problems, just can't understand it

If there was a ViX image issue with this receiver or any other for that matter you would have seen multiple reports about it, as it stands you are so far the only one I know of. Why that is I don't know but I don't have any such issue with my own TM Twin.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

kegnkiwi
02-11-14, 17:40
I wondering if there is some mixmatch of bootloader and vix image, 4D uses different bootloaders to the latest vix images as stated earlier. If some time soul could point you to the correct boot loader vix image match it would be a good starting point. I know I use 4d image but I went though a little process of finding the correct boatloader to match the image and along with a 1/2 gigg swap file i installed my box has been rock solid.

Larry-G
02-11-14, 17:57
I wondering if there is some mixmatch of bootloader and vix image, 4D uses different bootloaders to the latest vix images as stated earlier. If some time soul could point you to the correct boot loader vix image match it would be a good starting point. I know I use 4d image but I went though a little process of finding the correct boatloader to match the image and along with a 1/2 gigg swap file i installed my box has been rock solid.

The main problem is that TM like Vu+ build their images from a very old OE and their drivers / boot loaders are built for the same old OE, so when they are ported by TM to work with images using more upto date OE's unforeseen problems can arise.

kegnkiwi
02-11-14, 18:14
I know previousley when i've visited the forum that has been threads telling people they must update there bootloaders to make the latest images work as I know vix use your own code. Honestly it can be a little confusing trying to find the correct bootloader for the correct image. If as admin you know where both could be found that shoud in theory make his box the most stable it would be a least something to try.

judge
02-11-14, 18:20
All the currently released bootloaders recommended for ViX images are on the image server.
http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=Bootloaders/

Larry-G
02-11-14, 18:21
All images and bootloaders can be found on our download site www.openvix.co.uk. It's not rocket science to navigate and find what you need there.

kegnkiwi
02-11-14, 18:21
These could be the two you need to make a stable image?

http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=Bootloaders/Technomate-Bootloaders/TM-TWIN-OE/

and

http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=TM-Twin-OE/

Maybe admin would advise if this is a good mix and match

stilts
02-11-14, 19:22
Thanks everyone for your comments, all feedback is appreciated!!!

I'm very familiar with the downloads section of the site and I've flashed the latest bootloader too.

I flashed my friends TWIN yesterday with Apollo 071 and his is also fine, his is pretty much an identical setup to that of mine, the only thing I know that is different between them is that he uses and external USB hard disk for recordings/timeshift whereas I'm using an internal disk.

Is there any limitation with the size of internal hard disk, I'm using a 1Tb, as mentioned early on in the thread, I had been using Vix successfully for quite sometime before encountering the problem but couldn't say for sure which release I first got the problem.

Is the size of the hard disk I'm using the problem, is it too big, I know for sure last night during the first reboot I was recording two channels and I would have also been in timeshift?

Cheers!

abu baniaz
02-11-14, 19:54
Where you using time shift during your earlier Vix tests?

There is an issue with playback?

stilts
02-11-14, 19:59
Hi Abu,

I did disable timeshift during one of the tests and still encountered a reboot.

I'm happy to try another flash of the latest Vix and bootloader, do you have to do this in any specific order, pretty sure in the past I've flashed with the bootloader first then the Vix image, is this correct?

abu baniaz
02-11-14, 20:11
You flashed in the correct sequence. Stick to the August 4D image for now. They are using the old kernel and drivers. When Apollo was released, a new kernel and driver set was incorporated.If you find a copy of Helios, it will be stable, but there will be no feeds for you.

stilts
02-11-14, 20:17
Hi Abu,

Thanks for that feedback, sounds interesting.

Surely though as I previously mentioned and Phoenix also agreed, others should be encountering this issue too.

Is it all related to the usage of an internal hard disk, and, is this planned to be further investigated?

abu baniaz
02-11-14, 20:25
Technomate were informed of this issue months back. You will have to contact TM about updates.

It is not intereesting, it is frustrating. They were made aware of playback issue a few months ago.

stilts
02-11-14, 20:39
Hi Abu,

Agreed, interesting from my point of view as I've not had any feedback to give me an idea of where the problem might be.

Also agreed that it's frustrating (I know only too well), how will I know when the problem has been remedied, just lookout for the updates relating to Technomate in the Vix Updates/Changelogs?

Is it the same problem though, as mentioned, I had previously disabled timeshift and it still rebooted (the hard disk was still installed and connected though)?

And is the playback problem only related to internal hard disks (apologies for all the questions, just trying to get all the info I can)?

abu baniaz
02-11-14, 20:51
The way it should work is that TM supply test kernels and drivers to image teams. They test and report back. As with all manufactures, you fix some things and get adverse results elsewhere. That's just life. But they can then deal with them and resolve as they go along.

Sadly this is not happening. Look out for Dags in the changelogs. Changes get committed by other team members with no prior notification.

I have not played back from a USB device for a long time. Will test soon for you. I can only test on the Nano-OE though, they use the same drivers.

stilts
02-11-14, 21:03
I have not played back from a USB device for a long time. Will test soon for you. I can only test on the Nano-OE though, they use the same drivers.

Thanks again Abu,

Just to clarify, my hard disk is a 1Tb internal.

mabozza
03-11-14, 00:11
Thanks again Abu,

Just to clarify, my hard disk is a 1Tb internal.

Hi Stilts, I'm pretty sure there is a limit of 500gb with TM2T, I would think this would be the same with the Twin. I remember doing an install for a friend who likes to know the full tech specs of everything he buys, he informed me of the 500gb limit on the 2T, he's very rarely wrong on such matters! :-) Whether that is what is causing the random reboots, can't be sure but I would try disconnecting the hdd to see if that helps. I've had many TM receivers & had a lot of different problems but never had random reboots. Hope this helps mate!

judge
03-11-14, 00:26
Hi Stilts, I'm pretty sure there is a limit of 500gb with TM2T, I would think this would be the same with the Twin.
Nope, I had a 1TB HDD in my TM2T & TM-TWIN, all worked fine. HDD size restrictions isn't different on any supported ViX box.

stilts
03-11-14, 08:42
Thanks guys!

I've also seen these boxes being sold with 1Tb drives too, but, obviously due to driver updates etc it might be worth testing this with the latest images to see if the problem occurs, however, I don't have a spare 500Gb drive.

I could however remove the disk and monitor

stilts
03-11-14, 19:53
Hi Everyone,

I've decided to reflash with the latest bootloader and Vix image along with removing the internal hard disk as a way to try and prove that it's hard disk related.

Upon downloading the bootloader and extracting it though I've noticed that it contains two folders in the main 'update' folder:

tmtwin
tmtwinoe

Should I leave both of these in place or remove one (the Vix image update only has the 'tmtwinoe' folder).

Thanks!

abu baniaz
03-11-14, 19:57
Please delete the tmtwin folder to be on teh safe side.

The reason there are two folders is just in case people are on a really old bootloader which won't use tmtwinoe.

stilts
03-11-14, 19:58
Thanks Abu!

stilts
03-11-14, 20:56
All flashed successfully (again lol), boot loader and Apollo 071.

All running, no internal hard disk running, no timeshift etc.

Will post back again after monitoring for a few days.

Cheers!

abu baniaz
04-11-14, 03:32
Recording and Playback to a USB device posted below. Note how the System's CPU usage jumps from 1.2% to 43.7%

#recording to USB HDD
root@tmnano:~# top
top - 02:20:28 up 7 min, 1 user, load average: 0.09, 0.13, 0.08
Tasks: 64 total, 1 running, 63 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu(s): 1.0%us, 1.2%sy, 0.7%ni, 97.0%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.2%si, 0.0%st
Mem: 137272k total, 125020k used, 12252k free, 284k buffers
Swap: 0k total, 0k used, 0k free, 59252k cached

#playback from USB HDD
root@tmnano:~# top
top - 02:23:29 up 10 min, 1 user, load average: 0.54, 0.21, 0.11
Tasks: 62 total, 2 running, 60 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu(s): 9.2%us, 43.7%sy, 0.0%ni, 46.4%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.7%si, 0.0%st
Mem: 137272k total, 126692k used, 10580k free, 488k buffers
Swap: 0k total, 0k used, 0k free, 65664k cached

stilts
04-11-14, 08:19
Interesting Abu,

Do you have other stats for similar testing on Helios etc. is this a new issue with Apollo?

stilts
05-11-14, 08:19
Well back on 4D again, 1 reboot yesterday with no hard disk installed.

Staying with 4D until Vix gets new Technomate drivers.

stilts
20-11-14, 15:50
Just though I'd provide another update (in case anyone is interested).

4D remained stable, however, I was finding myself missing quite a few features/plugins of Vix, but, Vix simply reboots on my TWIN, I therefore gave OpenATV a try.

First impressions, quite impressed, a very crisp and clean looking image (the default skin looks great), it also had all of the plugins that I was familiar with obtaining from Vix (unlike 4D), however, this image too has randomly rebooted my unit (enabled debug logs yesterday evening but haven't had the chance to look at them).

My gut feel on this at the moment is that the box reboots whilst watching HD channels (FTA HD), it seems stable watching SD, I have nothing to back this up at the moment, it's more observational than anything.

So, a question (maybe Abu can answer), is it possible for me to extract the driver files associated with TM-TWIN hardware from the 4D image and transfer them over to the appropriate driver file directory in order to test to see if it is then stable (an odd request I know, but I'm curious)?

Cheers!

abu baniaz
20-11-14, 16:13
The 4D image is stuck at August drivers and kernel. I think Helios 17 was last Vix image for the TM 7335 units with those kernel/drivers. The OpenATV image uses the newer ones. And to be honest, they push the updates. We are usually last to know about it.

There was a new kernel/drivers set in Apollo 88. I have briefly tried it for the Automatic Time Shift issue, so my test is nof no help. Changelogs have not mentioned anything about these reboots.

Back to your question, AFAIK, you cannot implant both into newer image. One depends on the other too.

stilts
20-11-14, 16:29
Thanks Abu!

So, are you saying that new kernel and drivers for TM-TWIN went into Apollo 88?

Do you think it warrants me giving it a try?

abu baniaz
20-11-14, 17:15
Thanks Abu!
So, are you saying that new kernel and drivers for TM-TWIN went into Apollo 88?
Do you think it warrants me giving it a try?
Yes.
And yes. But test your theory about HD channels too.

If I can sort out this spaghetti junction of wires, I'll see if I can put the Nano on test too.

stilts
20-11-14, 23:23
Hi Abu,

Updated the version of OpenATV to package created today (20141120), this had a driver set dated 12th November, however, whilst watching BBC One HD earlier this evening it rebooted again.

I have since re-flashed with bootloader and latest image of Apollo (88) from Vix, this also has a driver set dated 12th November, so, at the moment I'm thinking that at some point it will reboot again, the kernel version is the same as previous too (3.9.7), so this doesn't look like it's been updated as previously mentioned.

I'll keep monitoring.

Cheers!

stilts
21-11-14, 08:12
One other thing, can I use the same bootloader from Vix website for the OpenATV images as well as Vix (I previously flashed with one from OpenATV website), it will save me a bit of time testing different images that's all?

abu baniaz
21-11-14, 08:19
We were told all images use the same bootloader.

stilts
21-11-14, 08:24
Thanks Abu!

stilts
23-11-14, 20:54
Evening everyone!

The box rebooted 3 times yesterday evening when I was out (I know this as I have duplicate recording entries from timers), however, I didn't have logging enabled whilst out.

I have had another reboot a short while ago, and please find attached log file, logging was done using an RS232 so hopefully some more information in this file (I think that the important stuff starts from around line 356) - note, running image at the moment is from OpenATV but guessing that the logging information is still relevant.

Thanks in advance!

stilts

abu baniaz
23-11-14, 21:09
There is also a kernel issue in there.

Please email the log with link to this thread to
info@technomate.com Ring up tomorrow and ask for Richard, ensure that they have received the email.

Explain any issues of the situation that he requires clarification on and he should be able to send to the developers to look at it.

020 8884 0259

stilts
24-11-14, 10:29
Thanks Abu!

Email sent, I'll follow it up with a phone call if I don't hear anything back from them.

abu baniaz
24-11-14, 12:59
Thanks Abu!

Email sent, I'll follow it up with a phone call if I don't hear anything back from them.

Best you phone them. Trust me.

stilts
24-11-14, 17:34
Spoke to Richard at Technomate, he said that the problem has been forward to support who will aim to fix it in a few days, he will update me when he knows more.

stilts
27-11-14, 10:54
Hi Everyone/Abu,

Not heard anything back yet from TM, however, an observation made a while back but not mentioned it before, when performing an online flash update I see a message which indicates 3 bad blocks, I think there's mixed thoughts on whether this is bad/not to worry.

If these bad blocks were to be part of the kernel partition is it possible that this could be my problem?

Also, is it possible to somehow check/calibrate the bootloader at all (again process of elimination here)?

Cheers!

stilts
27-11-14, 22:01
Evening All!

Just thought I'd relay a quick update, still running on OpenATV at the moment, their latest release has seen new drivers implemented, driver date is: 2014-11-26, fingers crossed these new drivers solve the issue and they also get rolled out and implemented into Vix.

Will update again either positive or negative in a day or two.

Cheers!

abu baniaz
27-11-14, 22:07
Bad blocks in flash memory are normal in eectrical devices.

The driver and kernel changes will also be in Openvix and any other OEA images that make images for the TM 7335 units

stilts
05-12-14, 14:41
Hi Everyone,

Got a few things to try from Technomate (listed below), but I also wanted to ask if I'm flashing between different images should the new image completely wipe the main filesystem, the reason for asking this is whilst flashing yesterday evening I noticed that a folder for the 'Dreamplex' plugin had not been removed, so that got me thinking that it might be possible for a few rogue/conflicting files floating around?

From Technomate:

1-Open it see if any dust on the mainbord clean it in off position with a paint brush.
2-check fan speed should be above 2000 rpm.
3-if any above is not ok/disconnect LNB if still reboot if not there must be slow short in the cable or LNB drawing too much current.
4-Disconnect hard disk for at least 24 hours.
5-disconnect lan cable/before reconnecting turn off your modem for at least 5 minutes /on again/possible box ip clash.
=====================
Finally non above fix it.
Disconnect all out puts except power and hdmi cable. In this mode if still reboots we have to have it here for further test.

Cheers!

abu baniaz
05-12-14, 17:40
When you flash an image, everything on the internal flash memory is wiped. Was your ftp program still running while you flashed? It wont affect flashing process, but it displys cached contents. So need refreshing.

Online updates do not clear the flash memory, they only update files.

stilts
05-12-14, 18:13
Hi Abu,

Thanks, yes ftp client was running on laptop, understood.

stilts
08-12-14, 17:43
Hi Everyone,

Flashed with latest Vix and OpenATV on Friday/Saturday, still reboots, flashed with latest 4D yesterday evening (November release) and will continue to monitor, however, from past experience I believe that the unit will behave normally with 4D.

Is there anything that I can be doing incorrectly, the unit was originally shipped with 4D, as mentioned previously I had been running a stable Vix for sometime before the problem started, could there be any partition related problems at all when I've flashed with Vix/OpenATV, is there any extra steps I should be doing to reset multiboot partitions or anything.

Cheers!

stilts

abu baniaz
08-12-14, 17:59
I dont think you are doing anything wrong. Have a word with Richard at Technomate and see what he says.

stilts
08-12-14, 18:03
Thanks Abu, have done, waiting for a reply

stilts
08-12-14, 22:03
Still fault finding here, just an observation, when running 4D (which is still stable) and issuing the 'top' command it's using approx. 125Mb of memory, compare that to Vix and OpenATV they both seem to use 135Mb.

What should be the normal memory usage of Vix on a default image on my box, does anybody know? I have noticed on both Vix and OpenATV that the cursor when navigating through the menu system jumps a couple of selection at a time after a while so I'm thinking memory issues or something?

Cheers!

stilts
09-12-14, 23:04
First reboot on the latest 4D image this evening.

Luckily for me a friend of mine has allowed me to use his TM-TWIN for a while, it is rock solid in his home.

Using it will hopefully identify if anything at my home setup is interfering, if not Technomate will hopefully take my unit for investigations.

Cheers

stilts
09-12-14, 23:05
PS, loaned unit is running Apollo 071 with a driver set dates 2014-10-10

stilts
13-12-14, 11:39
Update!

The loaned unit has been up for 3 days, no reboots, connected the same way as my unit.

I left my unit running too, just with HDMI and network connected, it has been up for 2 days without rebooting.

So, what is this telling me/us, any thoughts out there?

Cheers!

abu baniaz
13-12-14, 15:25
You have been very methodical and thorough in your testing as well s patient. There is an issue with your receiver, contact your vendor/Technomate for a resolution.

stilts
23-12-14, 23:16
New power supply unit installed a few days ago, so far so good with zero reboots.

Thanks everyone for all your assistance/support with my problem.

Cheers!