PDA

View Full Version : Help - remote not working right!

sticky7
14-10-14, 10:34
Hi,

Is it possible for me to un-program my remote on VU+ duo?

I don't know what I have done but a few buttons now don't work (i.e. down, movie/hdd, red button, numbers 1,4 and 7 and a couple of others)

I bought my box 2nd hand from here and it was working 100%.

Could I have possibly done this somehow or is the remote likely to be done or could this be the start of capacitor issues?

I tested the remote into a camera which shows if signal is being sent and nothing seems to be sent for those buttons. Is there a factory reset for original remotes (old white one)

Thanks for any help.

timofee
14-10-14, 13:49
This is from an old post - worth trying:

if you have purchased a new replacement remote control & it does not work automatically with your existing box then you need to.

1. Press 2 and 7 together for three seconds until LED light is on the remote control .

2. Press HELP

3. Press <0001 for solo/duo>

4. Press <0002 for uno>

5. Press <0003 or ultimo>

If that does mot work you can get cheap replacements from Εbay

sticky7
14-10-14, 16:40
Thanks,

I tried that, don't have an LED on the remote. I Think it pre-dates that model. I have ordered a cheap one to see if it works. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some setting I had changed or deleted in the image that was causing it.

adm
14-10-14, 20:02
I tested the remote into a camera which shows if signal is being sent and nothing seems to be sent for those buttons.

Usually a sign that some 'gunk' has got between the keyboard membrane and the PCB of the remote. Sweat from hands, splashed drinks etc. easily get between the two surfaces stopping the buttons from working - as shown by your camera.

Most remotes can be dismantled, all parts washed under a cold water running tap, thoroughly dried (left for a few hours in a warm dry place) and reassembled. Many remote covers just snap together and a (blunt) knife can often be used to prise the parts apart. Sometimes there are additional screws beneath the batteries or under labels.

sticky7
14-10-14, 23:20
Thanks for that. I think you may be right. Remote is quite dirty and some buttons are intermittent. Will give it a go. Can the capacitor go in these remotes?? Hardly worth trying to fix?

judge
14-10-14, 23:54
Thanks for that. I think you may be right. Remote is quite dirty and some buttons are intermittent. Will give it a go. Can the capacitor go in these remotes?? Hardly worth trying to fix?

Never had a dead VU remote. If it's quite dirty, clean it...
If that doesn't work, I'm sure the site sponsor will sort you out with a new working genuine remote for around £20.

adm
15-10-14, 01:01
Can the capacitor go in these remotes??

No -- very, very unlikely - probably about the same odds as you winning a significant amount of money in the national lottery..

Electrolytic capacitors in power supplies have a life time operational specification typically from 2000 hours to 10,000 hours at their maximum rated temperature with their life being extended if operated at a lower temperature (maybe double the life for every 10 degrees lower). Lower grade capacitors have a 85 degree centigrade specification while better grade a 105 degree centigrade specification.

It is common for capacitors in power supplies in many pieces of equipment to fail in 4 to 10 years - sometime as a result of them running at elevated temperatures because the box is in a stack of other equipment that runs hot. Both my AV amp and Humax HD sat box run very hot and are not suited for being stacked with other equipment.

If replacing capacitors in a power supply go for 105C rated components and also those with a low ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance). The difference in price between a poorer quality capacitor and a good quality capacitor from a reputable manufacturer is only around 10p to 30p for a typical component in a PSU. Often the 'toys for boys' high street suppliers charge a premium price for lesser quality components.

sticky7
15-10-14, 20:56
Fixed.
After opening it I couldn't get it working at all. Opened it again and spotted a wee bit chipped up the side which was breaking to conduction to sender? Used conductive pen to join. Working again!

(New one ordered anyway)

Thanks for help.