PDA

View Full Version : [CrossEPG-Other] No Longer Automatically Downloading EPG

Manchester
13-10-14, 22:56
Hi, just wondered if anyone can help out.

I'm running Vix on my Vu+ Duo, had the same image on for almost a year, had no issues whatsoever, and made no changes to plugins or CrossEPG settings.

However, 2 weeks ago, I've started experiencing issues with the auto download feature. I have it set to download at 04:00 every day, with a Power Timer set for 03:55, to ensure everything is up and running, ready to download.

As I said, this has worked without issue for the last year, whereas I now have to do a manual download daily.

Any advice appreciated, and if possible, I don't want to do a firmware upgrade of Vix.

judge
13-10-14, 23:08
Lots has changed in the image & CrossEPG plugin in the last year.

Any advice appreciated, and if possible, I don't want to do a firmware upgrade of Vix.
Why would you want to use such an old image with no access to the plugin feeds?

Manchester
13-10-14, 23:27
Lots has changed in the image & CrossEPG plugin in the last year.

Why would you want to use such an old image with no access to the plugin feeds?

Only don't want to change, as prior to 2 weeks ago, all has worked fine.

Your opinion, worth starting afresh then, install the latest version of Vix?

judge
13-10-14, 23:38
Your opinion, worth starting afresh then, install the latest version of Vix?
Sorry, but no choice other than a fresh flash if you want to update from such an old image.
What have you on the box that you need to keep? channel lists, cams, plugins & so on?
Manual updates should be easily possible if you have a PC/laptop/phone/tablet you can FTP on.
Taking screnshots of some of your required settings might also help along with reading the ViX manual, avaliable on http://www.openvix.co.uk

Larry-G
14-10-14, 01:21
It's obviously your choice if you wish to stay with a older image but nothing will run forever without some form of maintenance your satellite receiver included. I'm not saying you should always use the newest images available as they may not suit every ones needs, but you should be prepared to reflash and re-setup your receiver at least once every few months, just to keep things ticking along nicely.

Manchester
14-10-14, 01:36
Fair enough, I've bit the bullet and upgraded everything.

Fingers crossed my issue is now gone. Will report back if it's still there in a couple of days.

Thanks for the sound advice, much appreciated.

Manchester
14-10-14, 07:58
K, just checked, and it hasn't downloaded the data overnight, or whether it's a case of just not storing the data.

I'm now fully up to date with Vix and CrossEPG, so, any ideas what setting might not be quite right?

Andy_Hazza
14-10-14, 08:09
K, just checked, and it hasn't downloaded the data overnight, or whether it's a case of just not storing the data.

I'm now fully up to date with Vix and CrossEPG, so, any ideas what setting might not be quite right?

Aup buddy, set up a swap file, I'm 99.5% this will solve your issue.

To do this press blue button, ViX, Swap Manager.

Then within Swap Manager press Blue to Create, select your hard drive and go with the 256mb option.

After a few minutes when completed in the swap place if should have your hard drive as the location, then yellow button to Autostart.
(If done correctly you will have a green tick in the 'enable swap at startup')

Then green button to Activate it and all should be good. :thumbsup:

As a test try running CrossEPG and all should be sorted for you.

Manchester
14-10-14, 19:32
Aup buddy, set up a swap file, I'm 99.5% this will solve your issue.

To do this press blue button, ViX, Swap Manager.

Then within Swap Manager press Blue to Create, select your hard drive and go with the 256mb option.

After a few minutes when completed in the swap place if should have your hard drive as the location, then yellow button to Autostart.
(If done correctly you will have a green tick in the 'enable swap at startup')

Then green button to Activate it and all should be good. :thumbsup:

As a test try running CrossEPG and all should be sorted for you.

Done all that, cheers.

How do I set it up so that CrossEPG uses it? Or just by creating it, will it automatically use it?

abu baniaz
14-10-14, 19:35
The swap file is used when required.

You may wish to go through section 4 of the Vix manual and double check your settings for the EPG.

Joe_90
14-10-14, 19:41
Also, make sure your PowerTimer is still set correctly. I've had issues recently with my PowerTimer, which is set to run at 06:00 daily, whereby the time is drifting out because recordings (F1 :)) were running at the same time and it changed the following day start time to 07:45 and then to 09:40 :confused: Bug somewhere which I'll chase up....

Andy_Hazza
14-10-14, 20:08
with a swap file enabled you shouldn't need the power timers, but see how you get on buddy. Any other advice just ask buddy, we are here to help ya! :D

Joe_90
14-10-14, 20:19
with a swap file enabled you shouldn't need the power timers, but see how you get on buddy. Any other advice just ask buddy, we are here to help ya! :D

Don't understand. What has a swap file to do with powertimers? If the box is in deep standby it needs a powertimer to start up the box. ABM or CrossEPG won't bring a box out of deep standby.

Andy_Hazza
14-10-14, 20:40
No mention of deep standby here, but yes if in deep standby then power timers a must!!

Joe_90
14-10-14, 21:59
The OP posted this - "I have it set to download at 04:00 every day, with a Power Timer set for 03:55, to ensure everything is up and running"

If the box was in normal standby, then no PowerTimer needed. If in deep Standby, then PowerTimer needed. Stiil don't know what swap file has to do with it? Swap files are for RAM extension.

Andy_Hazza
14-10-14, 22:19
He has a vu+ duo = low memory = needs a swap file to help with epg download!!

abu baniaz
14-10-14, 22:25
A bit off topic.... Why do people still download EPG in the middle of the night? On twin tuner receivers CrossEPG downloader no longer zaps to the chanenl and uses the free tuner.

judge
14-10-14, 22:32
He has a vu+ duo = low memory = needs a swap file to help with epg download!!
Depends on amount of EPG being downloaded/processed really and anything else running on the box at the time.
When I had a Duo & even a Solo, never once had to use a swap file.

Larry-G
14-10-14, 22:40
A bit off topic.... Why do people still download EPG in the middle of the night? On twin tuner receivers CrossEPG downloader no longer zaps to the chanenl and uses the free tuner.

I still have my daily EPG schedule set to 04:00 every morning, more out of habit than any thing else, but I also agree that such practices are pretty much no longer needed since Andy and Sandro redesigned CrossEPG to use a free tuners the same as ABM, allowing the EPG to be populated while still watching TV.

When I had a Duo & even a Solo, never once had to use a swap file.

Me either on the two Duo's I had, nor do their present owners (both family members).

Manchester
14-10-14, 22:51
Must say, after adding the swap file, it takes longer than it did with the last version of Vix that I had installed, which didn't have a swap file. The downloading of the EPG is very quick, but it seems to have the Vix spinner and Loading Data screen on for a fair while.

Should also note, after seeing it mentioned elsewhere, I changed a setting in CrossEPG, which was to enable CSV importing. The difference to the download, is that the TV still shows during the full process, rather than going to a Vix screen with cheesy music playing.

abu baniaz
14-10-14, 22:56
What are your settings for EPG download?

timofee
14-10-14, 22:58
Swap file is pretty much essential for a fully configured multi-sat VU+ Duo1 to run smoothly. Might not be necessary for simple set ups.

Still best to run the EPG update overnight as often have two timers operating during day, or am watching whilst a timer is working at same time.

judge
14-10-14, 23:08
Must say, after adding the swap file, it takes longer than it did with the last version of Vix that I had installed, which didn't have a swap file. The downloading of the EPG is very quick, but it seems to have the Vix spinner and Loading Data screen on for a fair while.
Yes, using a swapfile on HDD or USB is slower than using internal memory.

The difference to the download, is that the TV still shows during the full process, rather than going to a Vix screen with cheesy music playing
You must have been using a pretty old build?

Swap file is pretty much essential for a fully configured multi-sat VU+ Duo1 to run smoothly. Might not be necessary for simple set ups.
Not really, again depends on your definition of a "a fully configured multi-sat VU+ Duo".

Manchester
14-10-14, 23:09
What are your settings for EPG download?

EPG Location /media/hddd
EPG filename - epg
Auto Refresh - no
Auto Save - no
Show EIT - yes
Enable EIT - yes
Enable MWH - no
Enable FreeSat - yes
Enable ViaSat - no
Enable Netmed - no
Enable Virgin - no
Maintain old epg data for - 0
Include EIT in http streams - yes
Include AIT in http streams - yes

Only have OpenTV Sky UK 28.2 selected to download.

Manchester
14-10-14, 23:10
Yes, using a swapfile on HDD or USB is slower than using internal memory.

You must have been using a pretty old build?

Not really, again depends on your definition of a "a fully configured multi-sat VU+ Duo".

Never used internal memory for anything, so not sure in comparisson. Always just used HDD, but am happy to use Swap File if that's going to help out.

Yeah, used the same image for about a year, as didn't have any issues till 2 weeks ago.

abu baniaz
14-10-14, 23:11
In CrossEPG downloader, are you downloading rytec/xmltv etc? (Just confirming)

Manchester
15-10-14, 00:03
In CrossEPG downloader, are you downloading rytec/xmltv etc? (Just confirming)

No, just OpenTV.

Well, that's the only one that I've ticked, no other providers have a tick next to them.

judge
15-10-14, 00:20
Never used internal memory for anything
You have though. Channel lists, config files and many others loaded on start-up, saved on shut-down, E2 restart from internal memory by default.

Manchester
15-10-14, 00:26
You have though. Channel lists, config files and many others loaded on start-up, saved on shut-down, E2 restart from internal memory by default.

OK, so I've never used it intentionally, for the storage of files, and to run files. Where editable, I change all known settings to the HDD instead of flash memory.

Larry-G
15-10-14, 00:39
The difference to the download, is that the TV still shows during the full process, rather than going to a Vix screen with cheesy music playing.]

Thats because the version of CrossEPG you were using would have been so old that it was before Andy and Sandro updated it to use a free tuner rather than cutting away to the dedicated radio / EPG channel that the service provider streams the EPG on.

Manchester
15-10-14, 00:42
]

Thats because the version of CrossEPG you were using would have been so old that it was before Andy and Sandro updated it to use a free tuner rather than cutting away to the dedicated radio / EPG channel that the service provider streams the EPG on.
Quality feature as well, impressed.

judge
15-10-14, 00:42
Where editable, I change all known settings to the HDD instead of flash memory.

Slowing down the box? :confused:

Manchester
15-10-14, 00:44
Slowing down the box? :confused:

I don't understand sorry.

Are you asking if it's slowing it down, or stating that it will slow the box down? :-)

judge
15-10-14, 00:51
I don't understand sorry.

Are you asking if it's slowing it down, or stating that it will slow the box down? :-)

Linux, which you're using will use all available memory available to it when it can. Making a swap file on an external slower device will slow that process down.
Handy when it has to be done, but slower when it doesn't.

Manchester
15-10-14, 08:31
Linux, which you're using will use all available memory available to it when it can. Making a swap file on an external slower device will slow that process down.
Handy when it has to be done, but slower when it doesn't.

Ah ok, no, it's not noticably slower.

Just as I said previously, the process of downloading and loading the EPG information seems to take a while.

Anyway, seems we have success, as this morning all of the info is there, the first time in a few weeks! Fingers crossed that's it sorted. Thanks for the help :)