PDA

View Full Version : Whistle.

Monty
28-04-10, 09:27
Hi.
Now before I begin, please don't treat what follows as trivial :)
This morning when I came up to my den, I heard what I describe as electrical whistle. Like the high pitched tone you sometimes hear from a TV, like a capacitor singing.
It's not overly loud, but it is noticeable, and at times annoying.
I am sure you know where this is going, the whistle is from my VU+ box.:confused:
It's coming from the unit itself and is present while in standby or in operation.
If left untouched the box will whistle constantly. The only time the whistle stops is when it receives a command from the remote. Keep pressing a button on the remote, like the volume down button and the whistle stops for the duration of the button press.

Could I trouble you guys to try this? Listen to your box in a quiet room and let me know if you hear it whistle please.
Thank you :)

bobonthejob
28-04-10, 09:31
Cant say ive heard anything, but will have listen when i get home.

kingy29
28-04-10, 10:02
No whistle here just the hum of the fan and HD.Perhaps your noise is from the HD.

Sicilian
28-04-10, 10:05
Defo no whistle here either m8.

Monty
28-04-10, 10:14
Thanks kingy29.
Noise is defo from the box itself not the HDD. Pressing the remote stops the whistle.
I do have sensitive hearing and thought, it might just be me so a few minutes ago I got the wife up here and just said listen.
Without telling her what I was hearing, she said she could hear a "very high pitched squeal".
I didn’t let her know what I was doing as I did random button presses on the remote, and she reported the noise starting and stopping.
That means it's not just me :)
Let me clarify for those that may have other suggestions.
The "whistle" is not a mechanical type noise, but more a noisy electrical circuit type noise.

Monty
28-04-10, 11:07
A little update.
After further investigation, and with the assistance of grtmoby :), the noise is eminating from the PSU.
With cover off the box, and everyting disconnected except mains power, the whistle iclearly coming from the right side of the PSU.
From first power on, while display is showing "starting.." the box is silent. The instant the display changes to "Vu+ Duo" the whistle starts.

Monty
28-04-10, 11:22
Here is best pic I could get of PSU.

kingy29
28-04-10, 11:34
" Houston we have a problem " . I would contact Vuplus seems you could have a faulty power supply best of luck.

Monty
28-04-10, 11:39
" Houston we have a problem " . I would contact Vuplus seems you could have a faulty power supply best of luck.

Ah kingy, don't be upsetting me now :)
I know it doesn't sound good, but it could last forever like this, just don't think I could live with it tho.
My son just came home and laughed at me with my box in bits, explained what I was doing and he says "oh, I heard that days ago and thought it was the TV making the noise".
It doesn't seem to be common so far going by replies on here, and I haven't found it mentioned anywhere else, so it could just be an isolated case, see how special I am? :)

Retired member
28-04-10, 11:44
Monty if you want to get it sent back to me I'll swap it over for you once this stock arrives next week, if it's a problem then will be happy to exchange it, why not keep until next week when the stock arrives (fingers crossed) then I'll swap over for you :)

Monty
28-04-10, 11:49
Hi Antony.
That's very kind of you :)
To be fair, the box appears to functioning fine, it just seems to have a noisy capacitor or 2, but as we know, capacitors can be dodgy from new.
If this was an older unit, I wouldn't hesitate to replace the caps, but iunder the circumstances, I will not touch it.
I am happy to operate the box till such time as stock is not an issue for you, then I will accept your offer of exchange.
Thanks Antony.

Retired member
28-04-10, 11:54
That's just the type of guy I am, honest Ant they call me.... No these things can happen, I think we'll probably end up using it as a demo model for when we are finally moved into our unit and see how it goes.... But I'll give you a shout when the stocks here to arrange the swap. :)

Monty
28-04-10, 11:56
That's just the type of guy I am, honest Ant they call me.... No these things can happen, I think we'll probably end up using it as a demo model for when we are finally moved into our unit and see how it goes.... But I'll give you a shout when the stocks here to arrange the swap. :)
LOL, here we go again, me checking 1000 times a day to see if ********* has stock/has contacted me :)
Only joking, as long as the box is working like it is now, I'm happy to wait till you're ready.
Thanks again Honest Ant :D

satmanbasil
28-04-10, 15:04
Hey Monty

You sure your not getting tinnitus ???

Hope its nothing serious with your box, i have checked mine and it seems ok but having said that i does beg the question with regards to future repairs of this receiver. Maybe ********* can shed some light into what we need to do in the event of needing repairs, i would hate to think if it did go tits up that i have an expensive door stop lmao.

Monty
28-04-10, 15:11
Hey Monty

You sure your not getting tinnitus ???

Hope its nothing serious with your box, i have checked mine and it seems ok but having said that i does beg the question with regards to future repairs of this receiver. Maybe ********* can shed some light into what we need to do in the event of needing repairs, i would hate to think if it did go tits up that i have an expensive door stop lmao.

lol satmanbasil, I couldn't send my ears off to be replaced, its most defo the box making the noise :D
Now, I can even hear it when the TV is playing at normal volume, it's like I have tuned to it now, always listening for it.
It really isn't too bad, but it's there and needs to go.
Never gave any thought to the possibility of future repairs if anything occurred, I'm sure Antony will advise.

Retired member
28-04-10, 15:41
12month RTB warranty from date of despatch (well we could hardly say from date of payment given all the waiting everyones had!) and we will either offer repair, replacement or refund depending on the time length involved and the current stock situation!

Monty
28-04-10, 15:55
Sounds about right but glad it aint from time of ordering, my warranty would be just about expired now :D

Peter
28-04-10, 18:00
Monty if you want to get it sent back to me I'll swap it over for you once this stock arrives next week, if it's a problem then will be happy to exchange it, why not keep until next week when the stock arrives (fingers crossed) then I'll swap over for you :)

That is superb service for these days.

satmanbasil
28-04-10, 23:16
Hi mate

With regards to warranty thats really good some dealers i have traded with in the past would go kicking and screaming to get out of any repairs. Only asked this question about repairs having a number of problems with dream boxes in the past and the kathrein was always falling down when i played with images thats why i think the vu+ is so cool.
Will you be running repairs in your own workshop or sending the units on to another or even back to the manufacturer, any idea right now cost of say psu or repairing the flash if it goes down

regards
A very Happy :) :) vu+ duo owner

Retired member
28-04-10, 23:30
Generally we will in most cases prefer to swap a receiver over rather than repair because we can simply return the faulty unit to the manufacturer for a credit or exchange etc. but again this depends on the stock and parts situation, plus on someones individual case. We do have an in house workshop for limited repairs (or at least will have when we finally get to move into our unit full time) but as of this moment we can't get any spare parts for VU+ (or spare remotes even for example), this is something we are working on though. So right now if a receiver had to come back it would have to be a straight swap or refund depending on stock, but in the weeks to come hopefully we'll be able to offer a bit more than just this.

UDA
29-04-10, 21:54
but as of this moment we can't get any spare parts for VU+ (or spare remotes even for example), this is something we are working on though.

I for one want a black remote! This white one is looking grubby already :eek:

What a great bit of kit though. I'm use to loading images onto my IP9000HD, which takes 10 mins, compared to 1 min on this :D Still got a lot to learn about E2 though.

The wife is going mad, not being able to watch the tv, cause i'm messing about :(

Cheers

UDA

Monty
30-04-10, 09:17
Although the colour itself does not bother me, I find myself scared to touch my white remote at times.
Just about every hour of every day, I got my hands inside a PC or laptop. The state my fingers are in, at times, with dirt and themal compound, I gotta run downstairs to wash my hands before handling my remote.
If and when spare black remotes become available, I'm in the queue for 1 :D

Chunkey
30-04-10, 09:31
Monty / UDA

Why not go for the Logitech Harmony 515, it.s only £19.99 from Misco and may work out cheaper than a replacement black remote (and it has the coiloured buttons at the bottom)

Chunkey

Monty
30-04-10, 09:40
Chunkey.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I have always loved gadgets, but have never got on with geeky remotes :D
Bought a pronto years ago to control my AV (PJ, AMP, Plasma, DVD) and I hated it.
I just love having piles of original remotes :D

Chunkey
30-04-10, 09:52
Monty

No prob's I know what you mean about geeky remotes (I spent a fortune on a Marantz one years ago). The Logitech looks good value and seems to have good reviews. I have just ordered one so when it arrives and if ever my VU + turns up I will let you know how I get on with it.

Chunkey

Monty
30-04-10, 09:55
Dabs has the Logitech for £19 :D
I dunno what to do, you planted the seed and I keep going back to Misco site to have another look :)
5 minute drive and I'm at misco sales desk, may just find a reason to go out later :D

Chunkey
30-04-10, 09:58
You jammy buggar, that means you can even save the £3.99 delivery.....