PDA

View Full Version : Solo2 random behaviour

Daytona675
12-10-14, 07:10
Hi All

First, thanks for the forum, it has been very helpful since I bought the Solo2 and always provided the answers without my need to post........ until now.

After several other Linux and non-Linux receivers, I have had the Solo2 since April, bought from WOS, and it has provided sterling service. Recently however, it has started to act in very a very peculiar manner.

Random unrequested channel changes.
Messages of "no tuner available" and all channels greyed out in the lists.
Permanent spinning VIX logo in the top left hand corner of the screen and no control of the box (the current channel continues to run)
Switching itself to standby.

I have tried re-flashing and different images but the behaviour returns. My setup is as follows,

Solo2 fed from twin LNB on polar motor mounted dish.
OpenVIX Apollo 054 (although other images appear to produce similar results).
MGCAMD configured as NewcamD client.
Also has TS Media installed.

I have tried disabling each of the tuners in turn, disconnecting one LNB cable at a time etc. with no improvement.

Has anyone come across similar behaviour in an Enigma2 box? What additional information can I provide to help diagnosis?

Thanks in advance

duoduo
12-10-14, 07:23
There have been similar threads on the forum recently, so you have open ports on your router? This is one area that had been discussed whereas one member felt he could have had his box Hacked.

Rob van der Does
12-10-14, 07:27
Indeed: all signs of your box (and hence other devices in your network??) being controlled from outside.
The telnet command 'netstat' will tell you who's connected.
And above all: make sure no ports have been forwarded in your router setup.

Daytona675
12-10-14, 10:46
OK Thanks guys. I've now closed all ports on my router and I'll see what happens. Are there any specific ports to block as it is useful to access certain things while away from home?

Thanks again

Larry-G
12-10-14, 10:49
It's usually the ports associated with transcoding and streaming channels externally. so ports 8001 and 8002 would be where I would start. I know that those features are a selling point of theses receivers but they open your receiver and network upto people who are actively looking for vulnerable receivers to steal from.

Rob van der Does
12-10-14, 10:53
You don't have to block anything; you just shouldn't open anything.
A pity thought that you didn't have a look who was/were connected.

timofee
12-10-14, 16:29
Simple test is to remove the RJ45 network plug from the rear of the receiver.

Run it for a day or so in that condition and report again what happens - if you still get problems it will show that it is not caused by any outside interference but that it is an issue with the box itself.

stilts
13-10-14, 09:03
I too am currently experiencing similar issues with my TM-TWIN, currently running Apollo.054, the unit randomly reboots (no crash logs), I do have several port forwarding rules setup on my router so I can access the unit from when I'm not at home, this includes:

http (80)
ftp (21)
telnet (23)
streaming (8001)

However, my unit requires authentication to access any of these ports.

Rob van der Does
13-10-14, 13:04
However, my unit requires authentication to access any of these ports.
Why's that? You think that prevents hackers from joining your network? You know that ports are being scanned bery frequently, and that there's no limitation at all on the number of access trials?
Please don't forward ports and see if that makes a difference.

stilts
13-10-14, 13:33
Thanks Rob, will give it a try and report back, would be good to know if this is the case, however, I'd be also disappointed as one of the reasons I like Vix is the fact I can watch TV from my sat box anywhere at any time.

Rob van der Does
13-10-14, 13:47
would be good to know if this is the case, ....
The telnet command "netstat" will tell you who's connected at the moment (no history though).

I'd be also disappointed as one of the reasons I like Vix is the fact I can watch TV from my sat box anywhere at any time.
Then you'd better use SSL or VPN.

stilts
14-10-14, 09:38
Hi Rob,

Just thought I'd provide a quick update, I haven't closed any ports just yet as I wanted to carry out some investigation work. I was checking activity/connections on/off yesterday evening using netstat which showed nothing unusual, however, this morning I noticed a foreign address listed which was trying to create a 'telnet' session, obviously I don't know if they were successful in getting access (I think not), but they obviously found the open port.

I killed the process immediately and it hasn't re-established since (will continue to monitor), I think I will need to setup OpenVPN on the box or something.

barry2012
14-10-14, 10:03
Interesting Reading was wondering how to settup a SSL OR VPN is there any walk throughs
also if i set it up on my laptop as am knew at this would it protect my technomate nano - oe

timofee
14-10-14, 13:56
You could have a look at this old post to get you started on SSL/VPN. www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?36336-Guide-to-setting-up-an-OpenVPN-server-on-Vix

I think most people give up after the first few minutes of wading through it.

stilts
14-10-14, 14:21
Thanks timofee!

I will try this soon and report back again, I've seen a second foreign address this afternoon which is obviously 'sniffing' ports as the telnet process number is constantly changing before I attempt to kill it.

Larry-G
14-10-14, 15:52
Thanks timofee!

I will try this soon and report back again, I've seen a second foreign address this afternoon which is obviously 'sniffing' ports as the telnet process number is constantly changing before I attempt to kill it.

Sadly this is becoming more of a problem as more users jump onboard the enigma2 scene specifically for the transcoding and streaming abilities of these receivers. Streaming channels is big business now adays and that's the best you can expect when a user gains access to your receiver, the worst does not bear thinking about.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

stilts
14-10-14, 23:19
Evening, quick update.

I removed all port forwarding earlier on the router and started looking at the OpenVPN instructions, whilst configuring it the TM-TWIN decided to do a random reboot again, nothing in the logs directory when logging back in (????)

Should I enable debugging for the logs?

On a positive note though I believe that I have successfully setup OpenVPN on the TWIN and configured a client laptop, can't seem to get it working on IOS but will look into that some more another time - I will carry out a further test to the VPN server from another location and ensure that I can access all on the TWIN as expected.

Cheers!

judge
14-10-14, 23:58
Evening, quick update.

I removed all port forwarding earlier on the router and started looking at the OpenVPN instructions, whilst configuring it the TM-TWIN decided to do a random reboot again, nothing in the logs directory when logging back in (????)

Should I enable debugging for the logs?

On a positive note though I believe that I have successfully setup OpenVPN on the TWIN and configured a client laptop, can't seem to get it working on IOS but will look into that some more another time - I will carry out a further test to the VPN server from another location and ensure that I can access all on the TWIN as expected.

Cheers!

VPN should really be terminated at router level, not box level.
I'd spend time with your router user manual & not rely on E2 or any other box on the local network for any proper security, it wasn't designed for that.

stilts
15-10-14, 10:50
OpenVPN Update.

All working fine for me now even on IOS, I have tested access from another network and is working well, I will keep monitoring the unit using 'netstat' to ensure all looks good, it should be better using this method as mentioned yesterday spotting my open ports on the router being 'sniffed'.

Thanks for the advice judge, I will look at some point to replace my current router with one that has a built-in VPN server, however, at the moment I don't think I can warrant spending/replacing my current router with one that has this feature (they appear to be quite expensive).

Cheers!

stilts
15-10-14, 22:00
Another update,

After updating to the latest 'stable' image (Apollo 057) and then reinstalling and configuring OpenVPN again I have still encountered another random reboot, this is with all other port forwarding removed.

I flashed the unit (TM-TWIN) via USB and only restored settings (no plugins), again no log information recorded, I have enabled 'debug' logs ready for next time.
Also, the LAN button on the remote no longer functions (it did previously), it appears to now be unassigned.

Very odd stuff!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob van der Does
16-10-14, 11:31
Also, the LAN button on the remote no longer functions (it did previously), it appears to now be unassigned.

Please check build 58.