PDA

View Full Version : VU+ Duo no HDMI output and no LAN activity

edkedk
11-10-14, 22:51
Hi,
I have a partly working genuine VU+ Duo. No HDMI output, and no ethernet LAN functionality. Lan interface show only continueou green led light. No network activity on the other led.

I have flashed cfe 3.0 as bootloader and firmware Blackhole 2.09.
This receiver does not get an IP number in my Lan network DHCP server. I have no IP conflicts. Subnetmask and IP nr is in same network. When IP nr is static, I cannot ping this from my computer.
I have working Scart output, the box look further normal with starting. It starts the image which is installed.
Could this be a cpu hardware problem ?
Serial console is working. I can also JTAG with Cypress board.
Anyone have clue of what can be the cause of the non-working HDMI output and non-working LAN interface ?
This box has C850, C815, C808, C819 capacitors allready renewed, including one voltage regulator U801.

I hope I can repair this nice receiver and that the cpu is still good.
Does anyone know of a .bin file I can flash with JTAG in which the code tests if the cpu is working (for example, if cpu is good, led becomes flashing green 5 times, if cpu is bad, you see nothing). ?
I want to know if the cpu is 100% good. HDMI and network are they directly connected to the cpu ?
One other question, is the print circuit board 2 or 3 layers (or more ?)

Regards, Erik

pac2000
12-10-14, 03:00
Sorry M8, E2 Boxes Use The Broadcom SoC Chip... Basically It's A Complete System On A Chip... The Motherboard Only Provides Access To The Outside World... It's The CPU That Does Almost Everything... If 2 Things Have Gone Wrong, Suddenly, It's Either A CPU Fault, Or Power Fault... If You Can Test The Voltages, I Would Suggest You Do That... Higher And Lower Voltages Can Cause Problems...

edkedk
12-10-14, 08:24
Hi Pac2000,
I have another genuine VU+ Duo box here at home, which is 100% good. I could use this for measurements reference. I will measure the voltages around all capacitors in the neighbourhood of the LAN connector and HDMI connector today, and also check voltages on all SMD resistors and small capacitors, and compare to the good one.
Cost lots of time, but hopefully I can see a voltage difference somwhere.

As far as I have checked, all voltages around the DC-DC converter chips are all good. But I am still hoping a small capacitor is the cause of my problem. Maybe I try to replace some small caps today and see if anything gets better.

I have one other question, what is the function of the security chip in the VU+ Duo receiver ?