PDA

View Full Version : can u use TV as monitor

shuggy
10-10-14, 19:16
Hi I'm wondering if anyone uses a TV as a monitor for there pc as I would like to buy a TV to do both my vuduo and my pc if so what TV do u suggest

Thanx

Stanman
10-10-14, 19:56
Am using an old 40 inch Sammy.

As long as your graphic card and tv input match you, choose what you fancy.
Most modern cards have hdmi ouput

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

mcquaim
10-10-14, 19:56
Hi I'm wondering if anyone uses a TV as a monitor for there pc as I would like to buy a TV to do both my vuduo and my pc if so what TV do u suggest

Thanx

Yes you can but depends on TV & Computer.

My old Philips TV had a VGA port so I used have my PC connected to it via it. My new Sony TV doesn't have a VGA port but luckily the PC also has HDMI out so I now connect via it.

It depends what you have or TV you buy, read the specs and buy what suits your needs!

Peterj
10-10-14, 20:02
If your PC has a DVI port, you can also use DVI-HDMI cable to TV.

potterson
11-10-14, 10:37
Most new TV's have a computer input. I use a LG for my computer and a second vu box in my studio.

shuggy
11-10-14, 10:46
thanx for the input guys, im using an ati 5770 graphic card and it has hmdi I think , or mabey that dvi , what size of tv is best, ive heard that when emailing and all that the writing/txt on a tv is not as good as monitor, thanx to all that replied

Rob van der Does
11-10-14, 10:48
You can also use a monitor as TV-screen, connected to the STB.

Stanman
11-10-14, 10:52
thanx for the input guys, im using an ati 5770 graphic card and it has hmdi I think , or mabey that dvi , what size of tv is best, ive heard that when emailing and all that the writing/txt on a tv is not as good as monitor, thanx to all that replied

Text is fine and even better when you have the latest GFX card.

Recently replaced a GT6600 with a ananlogue output and qulaity got better.

I use mine for box, TV and PC.

mcquaim
11-10-14, 10:53

Going by the specs that graphics card has VGA, DVI and HDMI outputs so it should cover all options..

Check what your TV can accept, if you have a spare HDMI port then use it as you get best picture from it and you can also pass sound from PC also without separate cables.

If not then use VGA or DVI and run and audio cable separately.

shuggy
11-10-14, 10:53
is a monitor just as good as a tv ?? my monitor at the moment is going blank evry wee while so I take it I don't have long to get either tv or monitor monitors don't have remote control tho eh I think it will be a tv I will go for

Rob van der Does
11-10-14, 10:57
A monitor is as good as a TV or even (much) better. But you have to match the refresh rates of STB and monitor.
And after all: the screen is the only functionality you use with an STB. The rest is bought for nothing.

shuggy
11-10-14, 10:58
thanx all :)

Joe_90
11-10-14, 11:43
A monitor is as good as a TV or even (much) better. But you have to match the refresh rates of STB and monitor.
And after all: the screen is the only functionality you use with an STB. The rest is bought for nothing.

Let's qualify that. A computer monitor with a 60Hz - 75Hz refresh rate is not much use as a TV in Europe. Fine for watching NTSC-sourced DVDs etc, but it does not match the frame rate of European TV which is 25 frames/50 fields per second. You will get judder on moving images when the camera pans across a scene if you are watching TV images at 60Hz. Unless the monitor is capable of a 50Hz refresh (or 100Hz) leave it alone.

Rob may have been thinking of a TV monitor which is a whole other thing. Very expensive.

Rob van der Does
11-10-14, 12:12
fps is not the same as screen refresh rate. Ask Andy: he always uses a monitor.

Joe_90
11-10-14, 22:32
It is in this case. Most computer monitors (even the CRT ones) are progressive rather than interlaced and it's problematic trying to get de-interlaced 50 fields per second to display properly without jitter or other artefacts on a 60Hz monitor. You end up having to insert extra fields which leads to flicker. :trustme: It's fine if you are watching US material.

Nunhead_Man
26-10-14, 17:00
Is it possible you need to check the graphics properties? Most PC's have a monitor sleep mode by default - but not sure what OS on your PC?