PDA

View Full Version : twin or single cables

davers1875
07-10-14, 18:03
Hi all, i hope i've used the correct forum for this, anyway, i'm looking to buy a twin tuner sat box (probably the miracle box Mini) i'l just explain my set up at the moment, i presently just have a single LNB connected to a bog-standard sat box, i want to watch/record different channels with the new box i get, i'm getting the TV Aerial guy to change it to a quad LNB, i was under the impression that i would just need one more length of cable fitted and obviously keeping the present cable i have, so one feed would go into Lin 1 on the box and the 2nd cable going into Lin2 on the box ? but the aerial guy insists it's a Twin cable(which is more expensive apparently) i need to connect to both tuners on the new box ? i've tried googling everywhere and i'm under the impression it would be two separate cables, one cable from LNB1 to tuner 1, and one cable from LNB2 to the 2nd tuner, who's right ? :confused: regards

s2tephen
07-10-14, 18:23
If you want to watch one channel and record one other channel with no restrictions you will need as at least.
A Twin tuner satellite receiver
A Dual output LNB
2 cables coming into the house from the LNB to the satellite receiver.

Joe_90
07-10-14, 23:49
Hi all, i hope i've used the correct forum for this, anyway, i'm looking to buy a twin tuner sat box (probably the miracle box Mini) i'l just explain my set up at the moment, i presently just have a single LNB connected to a bog-standard sat box, i want to watch/record different channels with the new box i get, i'm getting the TV Aerial guy to change it to a quad LNB, i was under the impression that i would just need one more length of cable fitted and obviously keeping the present cable i have, so one feed would go into Lin 1 on the box and the 2nd cable going into Lin2 on the box ? but the aerial guy insists it's a Twin cable(which is more expensive apparently) i need to connect to both tuners on the new box ? i've tried googling everywhere and i'm under the impression it would be two separate cables, one cable from LNB1 to tuner 1, and one cable from LNB2 to the 2nd tuner, who's right ? :confused: regards

I'd change your TV Aerial guy if I was you. Of course he could run another length of RG-6 (or CT-100 equivalent preferably) from your quad LNB to your tuner location. It's just that he wants to flog you some more expensive cable. Unless, of course, your existing cable is very old and is about to break or fray or whatever. Coax cable lasts about 10 years or so in the open air exposed to the sun unless it's painted. Twin cable (also called shotgun cable) is less expensive than two lengths of single cable.

davers1875
08-10-14, 01:12
If you want to watch one channel and record one other channel with no restrictions you will need as at least.
A Twin tuner satellite receiver
A Dual output LNB
2 cables coming into the house from the LNB to the satellite receiver.

that's what i thought stephen, ta

I'd change your TV Aerial guy if I was you. Of course he could run another length of RG-6 (or CT-100 equivalent preferably) from your quad LNB to your tuner location. It's just that he wants to flog you some more expensive cable. Unless, of course, your existing cable is very old and is about to break or fray or whatever. Coax cable lasts about 10 years or so in the open air exposed to the sun unless it's painted. Twin cable (also called shotgun cable) is less expensive than two lengths of single cable.

the cable i have at the moment is only approx 5 years old :D even though i told the guy 2-3 times that i was positive i would just need another length of cable to go in to the 2nd tuner he was rather adamant it would need the twin cable, but i didn't feel knowledgeable enough to tell him that for certain :o i'l see what he says tomorrow when i call him, thanks once again for the help guys, much appreciated :thumbsup: