PDA

View Full Version : how to setup a VPN for a secure connection

arnie2014
07-10-14, 00:15
does anybody know how I can setup a VPN

so when im not at home I can access the vu+ solo2 securely

judge
07-10-14, 00:23
Google & wiki are your friends on this subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network
It's not a STB issue, so as pointed out earlier, better off looking at network sites.

AzZ
07-10-14, 03:48
Here you go:

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?36336-Guide-to-setting-up-an-OpenVPN-server-on-Vix

Some backround reading and a basic understanding of networks is highly recommened.

pembo
07-10-14, 06:45
if you don't know what you're doing then the easiest way is to buy a high end router that has a VPN solution builtin.

Grinnders
08-10-14, 23:08
LOL. Wish I'd seen this before. I've been trying and retrying the Vix instructions for OpenVPN config but every time I turned it on it would stop my setup being locally accessible. Just tripped over this thread whilst attempting to do OpenVPN for the 4th time and found this alternative method. Just tested it with my Billion 7800N router and it looks all good! Cheers :thumbsup::amen:

grahammcm1888
09-10-14, 07:09
I set up a VPN with my ASUS router the other day. Really easy . Works well with iphone , ipad and remote pc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arnie2014
21-10-14, 23:04
I set up a VPN with my ASUS router the other day. Really easy . Works well with iphone , ipad and remote pc.

please oculd you help me setup a VPN please

Joe_90
22-10-14, 01:42
I'd suggest you become familiar with your machine first and explore the various facilities for accessing the box through your local network. Try using the WebIF and stream programmes to your PC or transcode them to your tablet or phone on your LAN. Once you know how all this hangs together you could then look at accessing from outside your LAN. Setting up a VPN properly (ie securely) is best done on a dedicated router and you need to understand the issues.

arnie2014
22-10-14, 17:43
ok yes at the moment, im ok with watching it via my mobile and pc on my LAN

its just I want to be able watch it when im not at home

Joe_90
22-10-14, 20:48
VPNs are complex beasts to configure properly. You need to have a stable, dependable working system to begin with so that you don't confuse problems caused by your box environment with those caused by VPN config issues. As you are firefighting picon issues at the moment it might be best to stabilise that before going down the transcoding route and making that work outside your LAN. What router are you using?

arnie2014
22-10-14, 21:53
VPNs are complex beasts to configure properly. You need to have a stable, dependable working system to begin with so that you don't confuse problems caused by your box environment with those caused by VPN config issues. As you are firefighting picon issues at the moment it might be best to stabilise that before going down the transcoding route and making that work outside your LAN. What router are you using?

im just using the router that sky give you with their broadband

grahammcm1888
22-10-14, 22:10
Hi Arnie

Sorry for not getting back quicker. I too used to have the standard Sky Router but decided to invest in a better one . I opted for a Asus DSL-N55U which has a built in VPN service and a built in DDNS facility which will enable you to connect to your network when away from home as with SKY you will no doubt be on a Dynamic IP address.

You will have to extract your sky broadband password though as they will not give it to you as they want you to use there router/hub. Google will help you with this. As to setting up a VPN without the built in service provided by these type of routers then as fat-tony says it can be complex.

I would upgrade your router.
Get your sky password.
Set up DDNS service.
Add VPN user name and password.
Set up your remote device.

arnie2014
22-10-14, 23:53
Hi Arnie

Sorry for not getting back quicker. I too used to have the standard Sky Router but decided to invest in a better one . I opted for a Asus DSL-N55U which has a built in VPN service and a built in DDNS facility which will enable you to connect to your network when away from home as with SKY you will no doubt be on a Dynamic IP address.

You will have to extract your sky broadband password though as they will not give it to you as they want you to use there router/hub. Google will help you with this. As to setting up a VPN without the built in service provided by these type of routers then as fat-tony says it can be complex.

I would upgrade your router.
Get your sky password.
Set up DDNS service.
Add VPN user name and password.
Set up your remote device.

Hi Graham thank you for that

Yes it seems of course sky broadband routers are not the best they are just basic things, so I shall upgrade my router I do like the sound and look of the router your mentioned plkus I do like ASUS

once I have this if I need help would you be able to help me although you have outlined what I need to do

cheers

judge
23-10-14, 00:14
@arnie2014 You've had issues with picons, telnet, dcc, auto bouquets... all in the last day or two.
I'd do as @fat-tony suggests & get to know the workings of your box before you even consider opening it up to the outside world.

arnie2014
23-10-14, 11:15
@arnie2014 You've had issues with picons, telnet, dcc, auto bouquets... all in the last day or two.
I'd do as @fat-tony suggests & get to know the workings of your box before you even consider opening it up to the outside world.

no problem thank you, yes all them problems are now solved

Joe_90
23-10-14, 12:55
Good then - glad to know those problems are now resolved. Let your system bed down for a while and get to know how it works. Spend some time investigating the principles behind VPNs and good security practices for your home network. Poking holes in your router security should be approached with caution otherwise your home network is at risk from compromise by the bad guys.