PDA

View Full Version : streaming vu+ solo2 when im not at home

arnie2014
05-10-14, 12:42
hi all

does anybody know how i can stream ym vu+ solo2 so that when im not at home i can watch my channels on any computer/laptop or mobile when im on the move.
iv heard you can do it but im not very technical so do not know how i do it.
i can stream perfectly fine when im at home

thank you all

timofee
05-10-14, 17:52
You do this by opening the necessary ports in your router.

But this leaves your box open to attack from the outside world, and if you are not technically minded it might be best to avoid this.

kiwiz1
05-10-14, 19:09
how to do this

arnie2014
05-10-14, 19:37
ok so how do I open the ports on my router, and im sure my security software and router firewall would try and stop any attack form the outside right?

spaceman
06-10-14, 14:11
might be worth a read of this -
site: i-have-a-dreambox.com/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=171199

timofee
06-10-14, 14:17
Your PC security software and router firewall would not help once you open the router ports - your VU+ box is completely open to the outside world. You can password protect access to the box, but even that may no stop an unwanted intrusion.

As to opening the ports, that varies depending on your router. Have a look at your router admin pages and read up what it says for your model.

imish
06-10-14, 17:20
Your PC security software and router firewall would not help once you open the router ports - your VU+ box is completely open to the outside world. You can password protect access to the box, but even that may no stop an unwanted intrusion.

As to opening the ports, that varies depending on your router. Have a look at your router admin pages and read up what it says for your model.

Agree. is there a better way of doing this? Vpn?

Larry-G
06-10-14, 17:37
Agree. is there a better way of doing this? Vpn?

Yes using a VPN would be a far better and more secure way to stream outside of your own network, but I am not sure how you would go about setting that up.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk HD

arnie2014
06-10-14, 21:04
ok,

I enabled transcoding in the plugin settings to 8001

forwarded the 8001 and 8002 ports in my router

tried entering the IP of my box into the internet browser on my mobile whilst I was using 4G and it doesn't connect, just says web page not available

but when I use the WIFI on my mobile openWebif opens fine

anybody any Ideas please

grahammcm1888
06-10-14, 21:32
Open port 80 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arnie2014
06-10-14, 21:50
port 80 is open as far as I know

iv opened booth 8001 and 8002 but I bet I have some kind of setting wrong as it still wont connect via 4g

judge
06-10-14, 21:51
Open port 80 as well.

Asking for trouble...

grahammcm1888
06-10-14, 21:53
Not really if authentication is setup.

grahammcm1888
06-10-14, 21:55
Make sure ports 80,8001 and 8002 are pointing to your box. Are you entering your wan ip address when on 4g. You will not connect to your lan ip on 4g(sorry for stating the obvious)

arnie2014
06-10-14, 21:59
hi graham,

you know what that is one thing I am not doing, im not entering my WAN ip address I never even thought of that ill try that now

grahammcm1888
06-10-14, 22:00
Yeah you are not connected to your LAN when you are on 4g. Do you know if you have a static or Dynamic IP address?

arnie2014
06-10-14, 22:03
I think I have done it with your help. on my mobile via 4g I was just entering the vu+ solo2 IP address

since your message I put in my broadband port IP address and it loads the openwebif

so thank you graham I never even thought of that I just thought if I entered the boxes IP address then since prt forwarding was on that would work, obviously not lol

arnie2014
06-10-14, 22:03
Yeah you are not connected to your LAN when you are on 4g. Do you know if you have a static or Dynamic IP address?

erm I ave not got a clue, how can I find out if my IP is static or dynamic im with sky

arnie2014
06-10-14, 22:07
problem now is openwebif is open , it loads all the channel lists etc, so I click on a channel but their is no button to click to watch it any suggestions?

grahammcm1888
06-10-14, 22:07
Probably dynamic then. It will change from time to time. I have set up a DDNS account to enable access to the box when the wan ip changes. That my friend is for another night though . Lol.

judge
06-10-14, 22:08
Not really if authentication is setup.
Yes, really.

I think I have done it with your help. on my mobile via 4g I was just entering the vu+ solo2 IP address
Big mistake. I now have full access to your box.

arnie2014
06-10-14, 22:12
Yes, really.

Big mistake. I now have full access to your box.

you don't know iv disabled my ports

and how could you access my box, when you don't even know the IP address etc

is their any way to secure my box

arnie2014
06-10-14, 22:23
well if its so unsecure people doing this im sure plenty of people watch their boxes in work or whatever, how would somebody secure their box please.

judge
06-10-14, 22:24
is their any way to secure my box

Use a VPN.
I've cut out most of your IP address just to show you...

arnie2014
06-10-14, 22:27
ok thank you,
please tell me you haven't done anything to my box, how the bloody hell does somebody know how to access my box,

I mean how would you know my WAN ip and etc, shit wow, that's scary that is I actually never realised how easy it could of been for somebody to look at my box

grahammcm1888
06-10-14, 22:27
Authentication is not switched on after a Software upgrade.

Well Done.

arnie2014
06-10-14, 22:30

Well Done.

what do you mean authentication on what?

the vu+ solo2 box or my router?

judge
06-10-14, 22:36
ok thank you,
please tell me you haven't done anything to my box, how the bloody hell does somebody know how to access my box,

I mean how would you know my WAN ip and etc, shit wow, that's scary that is I actually never realised how easy it could of been for somebody to look at my box
Ofcourse I haven't. Just logged on to show you how easy it would be for anyone to find it & use it as they wish.

Well Done.

Web authentication isn't the best method to secure any box.

arnie2014
06-10-14, 22:42
could you please help me to secure my box then please. I know you said setup a VPN right? would this make my box secure so only I could access it when im out and about?

grahammcm1888
Kinda defeats the purpose to be honest. My authentication is back on now. If people can get around that then thats pretty poor.

judge
you don't know iv disabled my ports

Box is still open by the way, only a matter of time before a script kiddie finds it.

arnie2014
06-10-14, 22:45
Box is still open by the way, only a matter of time before a script kiddie finds it.

eh? I don't get it, how can it still be open when iv delete the open ports and stopped forwarding on my router arghhh?

judge
06-10-14, 22:47
could you please help me to secure my box then please. I know you said setup a VPN right? would this make my box secure so only I could access it when im out and about?

Yes, but you'll have to do some reading up on VPNs.
Best to terminate your VPN on your modem/router, so you'll have to do some reading up on that too.
Most Android & IOS devices can start a VPN session, so more reading up to be done there.

Way out of the scope on a satellite forum, so try looking at some network expert sites.

grahammcm1888
06-10-14, 22:48
To get back to your question (although this is probably the last thing you are worried about) have you downloaded the VU player app. You will not be able to play via a webpage on your phone. Well I cant on my iphone , not sure about android,etc.

arnie2014
06-10-14, 22:49
To get back to your question (although this is probably the last thing you are worried about) have you downloaded the VU player app. You will not be able to play via a webpage on your phone. Well I cant on my iphone , not sure about android,etc.

yes iv got vu+ player

judge
06-10-14, 22:52
eh? I don't get it, how can it still be open when iv delete the open ports and stopped forwarding on my router arghhh?

Have you rebooted your router?
I've just turned on your box to prove the point.
Note time of screenshot.
Removed most of IP again so others don't find it as fast.

grahammcm1888
06-10-14, 22:58
Whos ip address is this mine does not have 158 in it?

arnie2014
06-10-14, 22:59
Have you rebooted your router?
I've just turned on your box to prove the point.
Note time of screenshot.
Removed most of IP again so others don't find it as fast.

ok just rebooted my router now, please can you now tell me if my box is secure again, or should I say my ports are shut thank you

arnie2014
06-10-14, 23:00

its mine, its obviously my default one, Im guessing I should change it to make my network more secure?

judge
06-10-14, 23:01
@arnie2014 the OP that you seem to be helping set-up an unsecured box.

arnie2014
06-10-14, 23:02
@arnie2014 the OP that you seem to be helping set-up an unsecured box.

what does that mean? and is my box secure again now

grahammcm1888
06-10-14, 23:04
just remove port 80 from your port forwarding if you are worried about rouge access. On the VU app you just insert 8002 for the port with your wan ip address. You can tweak the transcoding set up via the remote.

judge
06-10-14, 23:05
ok just rebooted my router now, please can you now tell me if my box is secure again, or should I say my ports are shut thank you

Yes, no longer have access to it on port 80. If you left the streaming or any other ports open, someone will also find them soon.

judge
06-10-14, 23:07
just remove port 80 from your port forwarding if you are worried about rouge access. On the VU app you just insert 8002 for the port with your wan ip address. You can tweak the transcoding set up via the remote.
Please stop advising folks to open ports on their network.

grahammcm1888
06-10-14, 23:09
And how would you suggest that the box is secured for openwebif access and streaming? Surely a password is the only way to do both? Or are you suggesting that even with authentication switched on for streaming the box would still be un-secure?

judge
06-10-14, 23:11
And how would you suggest that the box is secured for openwebif access and streaming? Surely a password is the only way to do both? Or are you suggesting that even with authentication switched on for streaming the box would still be un-secure?

A VPN as stated previously.

grahammcm1888
06-10-14, 23:12
Pretty much renders transcoding useless then does it not?

arnie2014
06-10-14, 23:14
ok so guess VPN is the only secure way, guess I have a lot of reading up to do as I want it secure.

I know it may sound daft but as I currently have WIFI ( Lan )

can I also setup a VPN on the same network so I can access the box remotely, as I don't need the VPN for viewing the box on my pc I nthe same house will I or are you saying, make my full network a VPN

judge
06-10-14, 23:15
Pretty much renders transcoding useless then does it not?

No .

judge
06-10-14, 23:17
ok so guess VPN is the only secure way, guess I have a lot of reading up to do as I want it secure.

I know it may sound daft but as I currently have WIFI ( Lan )

can I also setup a VPN on the same network so I can access the box remotely, as I don't need the VPN for viewing the box on my pc I nthe same house will I or are you saying, make my full network a VPN
No, VPN only used for external access to your home network.

arnie2014
06-10-14, 23:19
No, VPN only used for external access to your home network.

Ah I see, so how would I set this up so it wouldn't mess with my LAN, or can I setup both and have both on at the same time,

ok anyway so what isit I need to read up about regarding setting the VPN up

grahammcm1888
06-10-14, 23:19
I am not an expert in setting up VPNs so I guess you will have to take Judges advice and do some reading up. Sorry I couldn't help you achieve what you wanted without the security risk but I tried to help.

Good luck.

arnie2014
06-10-14, 23:22
I am not an expert in setting up VPNs so I guess you will have to take Judges advice and do some reading up. Sorry I couldn't help you achieve what you wanted without the security risk but I tried to help.

Good luck.

not a prolem graham, I appreciated all your help pal thank you very much

judge
06-10-14, 23:23
Ah I see, so how would I set this up so it wouldn't mess with my LAN, or can I setup both and have both on at the same time,
Yes, you use both. When on LAN, you don't use VPN, when on WLAN, you use VPN.

ok anyway so what isit I need to read up about regarding setting the VPN up
No idea, sorry. Lots of info I'm sure on networking sites that will help.

arnie2014
06-10-14, 23:31
ok thank you for all your help both of you tonight really appreciate it,

although not the bes thing in the world, would you have any idea how I can put a username and password on the openwebif for the time being?

grahammcm1888
07-10-14, 12:01
Firstly I would recommend that you change the default password which I believe is blank by default. The default user name is root. You will need to change this password via ftp or telnet . Once you have connected via telnet or ftp you will have to enter the command passwd . Enter the new password (the user name cannot be changed).

Once this has been done use your remote and go to plugins and select Openwebif. Make sure that you set authentication on for webif access and for streaming this way you have to enter your predefined password when you login (locally or) remotely when accessing port 80 ,8001 or 8002.

As far as security is concerned I don't know how this can be bypassed but I am sure Judge will know a way. I can only tell you what I know.

arnie2014
07-10-14, 22:31
Firstly I would recommend that you change the default password which I believe is blank by default. The default user name is root. You will need to change this password via ftp or telnet . Once you have connected via telnet or ftp you will have to enter the command passwd . Enter the new password (the user name cannot be changed).

Once this has been done use your remote and go to plugins and select Openwebif. Make sure that you set authentication on for webif access and for streaming this way you have to enter your predefined password when you login (locally or) remotely when accessing port 80 ,8001 or 8002.

As far as security is concerned I don't know how this can be bypassed but I am sure Judge will know a way. I can only tell you what I know.

H for some reason I cannot gain access via FTP or TELNET

I downloaded putty, entered my IP address of my box and the command prompt opens so I enter Root for the username and iv tried many things for password but nothing works

ca anybody help

arnie2014
12-02-15, 22:13
hi all I need help, since you all last helped me I deleted all the port forwarding etc

but now I wanted to watch my box at my friends house, so I put ports 80, 8002 and 8001 into the port forwarding area of my router

but when try access it via my mobile over 4g using the routers broadband IP it will not access it

can anybody help please

scrupples
12-02-15, 23:48
you go to your ip:8002 unless you changed 8002 :)
it might be http:// or https:// not sure which