PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] Boot Up problem advice please

Tony_Daly
04-10-14, 21:19
Hello Everyone.

I'd like to pick someone's brain if I may please.

I have a Gigablue Quad Plus for about a week now.
It came with Apolo 032 installed.

I am using it as a slave to a TM receiver for the moment while I get used to it.
I have a motorised dish with a good selection of satellites from 61W to 54.5 E.

Over the past week I have been tuning in the various satellites & channels & had about half my sats in.
No problems until today when I came to boot the receiver up from deep standby.

I got Openvix on the screen.
Then Loading please wait followed by large VIX in top left of screen.
This was followed by small vix in top left of screen as normal followed by black screen for a second or two which is normal.

Usually after this the image loads up on the last channel I was on before close down.

However today it went from small vix in top left of screen to blank screen back to small vix back to blank screen etc.
I left it for a couple of minutes but it just went through the same thing over & over.
The only way to get anywhere was to switch it off at the back of the receiver.
I tried switching it on & off a few times but no change.

Eventually I flashed the receiver for the first time ever with 041 image & I'm tuning in the whole thing again.

I have now created a backup on a usb stick from backup manager.

My questions are

(1) Has anyone any idea why I had this bootup problem ?

(2) If it happens again can I use the backup I have now made through backup manager to restore all my satellite & channel settings from the usb to where they were before. ?

(3) The next time I boot a new image of any kind can I use the same backup to put back my satellites & settings into the receiver no matter what the image may be ?

(4) If I make a backup through Image manager, is this just the image I'm backing up or is it everything. I'm a bit confused between the Backup manager & the Image manager ?

Sorry if the post is a bit long but I'm trying to give an much information as possible.
I am very grateful for any help or advice anyone can give me.

Thank you.

judge
04-10-14, 22:10
(1) Has anyone any idea why I had this bootup problem ?
Sounds like an E2 crash loop. Crash logs would have been generated by default in /home/root/logs/ but you've lost them now after reflashing.
It's impossible now to tell what the issue was without seeing one.

(2) If it happens again can I use the backup I have now made through backup manager to restore all my satellite & channel settings from the usb to where they were before. ?

Yes.

(3) The next time I boot a new image of any kind can I use the same backup to put back my satellites & settings into the receiver no matter what the image may be ?

Not really, all depends on the image & build number used.

(4) If I make a backup through Image manager, is this just the image I'm backing up or is it everything. I'm a bit confused between the Backup manager & the Image manager ?

Image manager does a full image backup, Backup manager does a full settings backup.

Tony_Daly
04-10-14, 22:38
Sounds like an E2 crash loop. Crash logs would have been generated by default in /home/root/logs/ but you've lost them now after reflashing.
It's impossible now to tell what the issue was without seeing one.

Yes.

Not really, all depends on the image & build number used.

Image manager does a full image backup, Backup manager does a full settings backup.

Thank you for the information.

Whats the usual cause of an E2 crash loop?

In the event of another E2 crash loop ?
Can I just restore the image with image backup & all my satellite & channel settings with backup manager or have I got it wrong ?
I'd hate to have to go through all this every time the box fails to boot up :mad:

judge
04-10-14, 22:43
Whats the usual cause of an E2 crash loop?
Can be anything like a dodgy plugin, bad config file, flash full & so on.
If it does happen again, you can still FTP into the box & get the crash logs.

In the event of another E2 crash loop ?
Can I just restore the image with image backup & all my satellite & channel settings with backup manager or have I got it wrong ?
I'd hate to have to go through all this every time the box fails to boot up :mad:
Yes, a restore will include your satellite, channel, cam, plugins, config files...