PDA

View Full Version : Is autoresolution still useful?

intrigue
03-10-14, 09:27
Hi,

I've got a Technomate nano 3t, with a year old LG 50PH660V. The nano is set at 1080p at 50hz from what I remember.

Will using auto resolution improve the look of the sd channels? I'm not too keen to change anything at the moment as the HD channels I have from FTA are stunning.

shuggy
03-10-14, 10:02
I use autoresolution mainly for the sd channels and get good pic , better that it is when first flashed but my lg tv is about 5 year old so mabey that's why, also find the hd better with autoresolution too but its all down to preference

intrigue
03-10-14, 13:01
Thanks - not sure how it applies to using newer tech though?

shuggy
03-10-14, 13:08
im using the new lx3 which is quite new

Rob van der Does
03-10-14, 14:36
You should try it. It's a matter of who has the better scaler: the box or the TV.
And newer isn't always better.

Also AR is mainly meant to let the output resolution match the resolution of the video-source, to prevent multiple scaling.

intrigue
03-10-14, 16:15
Ok cool, my box apparently has HD upscaling built in - I just know too many things fighting each other to scale stuff doesn't come out too great. Will give it a go.

Rob van der Does
03-10-14, 17:15
Ok cool, my box apparently has HD upscaling built in
As all HD boxes have. Question is if you want to use it. Most of the times, TV's will have a better scaler. And that's where AR kicks in: SD video contents is then outputted in the same SD resolution, leaving it to the TV to do the upscaling (which it does as it has an HD-screen).

shuggy
03-10-14, 18:08
i forgot to say i also use videoenhancements take a bit of messing about to get best picture try it with auto res and also without it . play about with settings , u should get a decent pic for both sd and hd

Trial
03-10-14, 18:26
Hi,
if you want to play movies with 24Hz (23.976Hz) AR is a must.

ciao