PDA

View Full Version : [MB Premium Twin HD] Front panel icons

adm
28-09-14, 12:05
Miraclebox Premium Twin running Vix Apollo 037

Is there a guide to the front panel icons for this box/Vix image?

I'm seeing the channel name of the program I'm watching, there is continuously rotating disk symbol (timeshift disabled) and another in the top LH corner of the display that I don't understand (yet).

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/miracle_fp/

Is it possible to get the front panel to display that there is a recording in the background?

Joe_90
29-09-14, 00:42
The small symbol in the top LH corner is the network symbol - you have an active ethernet connection.

The continuously rotating disk symbol is a "feature" (ie bug) of the ViX image for this particular model. Apparently it's an issue with the panel display (the VFD) driver which the code in ViX is not hacked to handle. Theoretically, the rotating disk should only appear when recording (as it does in some other images which ARE hacked to handle the panel display).

You can turn off the rotating disk symbol in the Front Panel settings, but it stays off even when recording.

birdman
30-09-14, 00:43
The continuously rotating disk symbol is a "feature" (ie bug) of the ViX image for this particular model. Apparently it's an issue with the panel display (the VFD) driver which the code in ViX is not hacked to handle. Theoretically, the rotating disk should only appear when recording (as it does in some other images which ARE hacked to handle the panel display).

You can turn off the rotating disk symbol in the Front Panel settings, but it stays off even when recording.Well, you can turn it of in the config, and it will go off. But only until it next comes out of standby, at which point it will return even though the config is set to not show icons.
So that config option isn't of much value - it looks like another piece of black insulating tape will need to be applied (in addition to the one to limit the searchlight-beam effect of the blue LED).

Joe_90
30-09-14, 01:37
Well, you can turn it of in the config, and it will go off. But only until it next comes out of standby, at which point it will return even though the config is set to not show icons.
So that config option isn't of much value - it looks like another piece of black insulating tape will need to be applied (in addition to the one to limit the searchlight-beam effect of the blue LED).

Exactly :cool:

birdman
06-11-14, 22:43
The continuously rotating disk symbol is a "feature" (ie bug) of the ViX image for this particular model. Apparently it's an issue with the panel display (the VFD) driver which the code in ViX is not hacked to handle.So how can we go about getting that corrected?
Does mentioning it here count as having reported the bug?
Who (which group?) is able to fix it?
Does anyone know, and is willing/able to tell, where the code is, so that others might try to fix it?

Joe_90
07-11-14, 00:04
I have reported it as a bug some time ago. The main developer of the ViX code (Andy) was not interested in hacking in order to handle the particular driver code, which in his view was non-standard. Works ok in the standard Miraclebox image, but that's very basic - not a patch on ViX.

birdman
07-11-14, 00:18
The main developer of the ViX code (Andy) was not interested in hacking in order to handle the particular driver code, which in his view was non-standard. Works ok in the standard Miraclebox image, but that's very basic - not a patch on ViX.So perhaps if someone who has an MB Twin and wanted to fix it knew where the code was they could at least try and then present Andy with the fix?

judge
07-11-14, 00:30
So perhaps if someone who has an MB Twin and wanted to fix it knew where the code was they could at least try and then present Andy with the fix?
It wouldn't be a fix though, would be a workaround/hack for badly coded manufacturer drivers.
Maybe try an Open-ATV image to see if they have done that.

Joe_90
07-11-14, 00:30
Emmm - there was a 40 post thread on this where I tried to persuade Andy to enable this without success as it involved hacks to the E2 code which he wouldn't do.
OpenATV support the recording icon in their code through a hack. Link here -
https://github.com/openatv/enigma2/blob/master/lib/python/Components/VfdSymbols.py Look from about line 60 onwards.

edit - It is a hack, judge (just saw your post now as we posted at the same time), but otherwise the recording icon is spinning all the time or none of the time in the ViX image.

Leader
08-11-14, 19:02
The source code VfdSymbols.py is not even present in the vix image to fix. it should be in the components folder.

Larry-G
08-11-14, 19:04
The source code VfdSymbols.py is not even present in the vix image to fix. it should be in the components folder.
Yes as Tony stated, andy did not want to fix it with a hack as it should be fixed in the drivers first.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Leader
08-11-14, 19:34
Yes but it works in the openMB software with the same drivers.

Larry-G
08-11-14, 19:38
Thats not the point, the drivers are at fault and Andy does not want to fix this issue by hacking things in the image, he feels it should be fixed by the manufacturer, regardless of what other teams may think or do.

birdman
08-11-14, 23:23
It wouldn't be a fix though, would be a workaround/hack for badly coded manufacturer drivers.So how does one report the problem to the manufacturer?

judge
08-11-14, 23:43
So how does one report the problem to the manufacturer?
Through the manufacturers website maybe.

birdman
09-11-14, 02:17
Thats not the point, the drivers are at fault and Andy does not want to fix this issue by hacking things in the image....Which is interesting, as it appears to me that it's only the image that knows what should be displaying at any particular time.
I suspect I'll be able to work out something for my own needs from the code that was posted.

birdman
09-11-14, 02:19
Through the manufacturers website maybe.I can only report to the vendor's web-site, which is this site, which is what I've done.

Larry-G
09-11-14, 06:58
Which is interesting, as it appears to me that it's only the image that knows what should be displaying at any particular time.
I suspect I'll be able to work out something for my own needs from the code that was posted.

Andy has always had the opinion that it's better for manufacturers to fix their own drivers where necessary rather than hacking the image to go around them, after all if we continually hack around driver issues it does not give any incentive to the manufacturer to fix any thing, but to rely on the image teams to cover their mistakes.

Joe_90
09-11-14, 14:35
There still needs to be code in the image which turns on the rotating icon when a recording is in progress, which is what I pointed to in the OpenATV code. Andy put code into the Front Panel screen in settings which allowed the icon to be turned off, so I'm not quite sure of the subtle difference between "hacking" the image and what was done in the Front Panel controls? Along with the overly bright blue led (covered with black tape) it's a distracting "feature" of the box.

birdman
10-11-14, 02:18
There still needs to be code in the image which turns on the rotating icon when a recording is in progressThat was my point. It's the image which knows when recording is taking place, so it's code in the image that turns the icons on and off. Nothing to do with drivers.
Mind you, a quick test on my MB Twin shows that the only symbol_* file which has any effect is symbol_circle . And show_symbols also has to be non-zero. Perhaps this is "non-standard"?
[Also, the led intensity is off if < 25 and on if >= 25 - no variation]

Andy put code into the Front Panel screen in settings which allowed the icon to be turned offBut on an MB Twin it gets turned back on if you go into Standby and then come out of it...

Does anyone know whether there are any user-accessible hooks (scripts?) called when recording timers stop and start?

abu baniaz
10-11-14, 08:40
My two cents worth,

There is another manufacturer who had similar issues with their device, viz. Record, timeshift, HD, AC3 indicators staying on and behaving in an expected manner. We could argue that the image knew it is not on an HD channel, it is not timeshifting, it is not recording, so the image has to switch the light off.

Nothing got changed in the image, but the manufacturer made the required corrections to their drivers and all is well.

Leader
10-11-14, 13:03
The code must of been hacked to put the on and off for the display setting in vix as looking at pli code they don't have a display on or off in there setting. But now need to know which pyo file is controling this so can see whats going on.

Leader
13-11-14, 10:07
Writing 3 to the symbol_circle will switch the record icon on. wirting 0 to the symbol_circle will switch it off. this has to be done within Vix. so I cannot see how this is a driver error as it works when I do it manually. the code could be entered into the recordtimer.py getrecordevent as a if it exists proc/...../Led write 3 to symbol_circle. and another entered into endrecord if it exists proc/...../Led write 0 to symbol_circle.

Joe_90
13-11-14, 12:26
That was my point. It's the image which knows when recording is taking place, so it's code in the image that turns the icons on and off. Nothing to do with drivers.
Mind you, a quick test on my MB Twin shows that the only symbol_* file which has any effect is symbol_circle . And show_symbols also has to be non-zero. Perhaps this is "non-standard"?
[Also, the led intensity is off if < 25 and on if >= 25 - no variation]
But on an MB Twin it gets turned back on if you go into Standby and then come out of it...

Does anyone know whether there are any user-accessible hooks (scripts?) called when recording timers stop and start?

@birdman - when I turn off the front panel recording icon in the setup the setting survives a deep standby. While the box is booting the rotating sysmbol is show, but as soon as it is fully booted and the tuner is active the icon disappears.

birdman
13-11-14, 14:36
@birdman - when I turn off the front panel recording icon in the setup the setting survives a deep standby. While the box is booting the rotating sysmbol is show, but as soon as it is fully booted and the tuner is active the icon disappears.True.
But I said Standby, not Deep Standby (which is, essentially, Shutdown - only the FP is awake).
I have it set to "off", and it is off (after a few moments) after boot. But if the system goes into Standby then the recording symbol comes back on when it comes out of Standby.

adm
13-11-14, 18:11
Writing 3 to the symbol_circle will switch the record icon on. wirting 0 to the symbol_circle will switch it off. this has to be done within Vix. so I cannot see how this is a driver error as it works when I do it manually. the code could be entered into the recordtimer.py getrecordevent as a if it exists proc/...../Led write 3 to symbol_circle. and another entered into endrecord if it exists proc/...../Led write 0 to symbol_circle.

Ideally the icon would only be on if a timed recording was in progress and not,say, when the box was time shifting or the disk was being used to store EPG etc. It could be made to flash when multiple recordings were in progress.

Joe_90
13-11-14, 19:02
I would actually argue for the icon to be shown in timeshift mode also as it gives an indication that the disk is in use. Or maybe configurable for timeshift and recording? :) I think it only rotates, or it's off, no flashing option?

This all assumes that someone will take on the coding task, of course :sofahide:

Leader
13-11-14, 22:18
There is a random setting which is symbol_circle number 4 which sort of flashes. but I will have a look at the code soon bit business this week, i was hoping for a little support from vix team on which pyo files to place an event trigger in, but if thats not to be then I will uncompile the lot which is easy enough just take bit more time to find the best place to put the trigger code in.

been installing a technomate namo 3T today and these boxes are not display record icons either same problem????.

birdman
14-11-14, 02:20
I would actually argue for the icon to be shown in timeshift mode also as it gives an indication that the disk is in use.I'd argue against that. If you follow that to it's logical conclusion you'd also display it when you are viewing a recording. But in both of these cases you shoudl know that the disk is in use as you have activated the function which is using it.
The thing about a recording is that it is (usually) a background task, which you may not know about (yes a message pops up at the start but you might have missed that - you certainly would in Standby mode...)

birdman
14-11-14, 02:24
There is a random setting which is symbol_circle number 4 which sort of flashes. but I will have a look at the code soon bit business this week, i was hoping for a little support from vix team on which pyo files to place an event trigger in, but if thats not to be then I will uncompile the lot which is easy enough just take bit more time to find the best place to put the trigger code in.I was going to look through the timer code too. You'll also need to know what happens when two recordings stop at the same time. Are the stops processed serially or in parallel? Given that the timers.xml file has to be updated there must be something in the code to handle any concurrency already.

adm
14-11-14, 14:29
You'll also need to know what happens when two recordings stop at the same time.

Don't forget that the box can record 6, or more, programs at the _same_ time and they could all stop together.

And there is also the scrolling text screen "rec1 = xxxxxx rec2 = yyyyy rec3 = zzzz rec4.........." :):)

Joe_90
14-11-14, 15:11
I'd argue against that. If you follow that to it's logical conclusion you'd also display it when you are viewing a recording. But in both of these cases you shoudl know that the disk is in use as you have activated the function which is using it.
The thing about a recording is that it is (usually) a background task, which you may not know about (yes a message pops up at the start but you might have missed that - you certainly would in Standby mode...)

heh - you're even more pedantic then I am, birdman :) I meant disk recording activity, not playback! It's all too easy to put the box into timeshift mode and forget that it's happening. My other half often hits pause on the remote (instead of mute) to answer a phone call even if she's not particularly watching a programme. Later on, she puts the tv and box into standby, ignoring the message about exiting timeshift.

birdman
15-11-14, 02:45
heh - you're even more pedantic then I am, birdman :)Juts wait till I really get going then..

It's all too easy to put the box into timeshift mode and forget that it's happening.And I'd forgotten that it isn't left running by default (on my previous PVR you could set it to always have a buffer of the current channel running - not that I ever used this, as it kept the disk spinning).

My other half often hits pause on the remote (instead of mute) to answer a phone call even if she's not particularly watching a programme. Later on, she puts the tv and box into standby, ignoring the message about exiting timeshift.I have an advantage, then, as mine hasn't found the remote yet, and would reckon that it has too many buttons to be useful - she really wants one with just one button that does whatever she wants at the time she presses it.

Rob van der Does
16-11-14, 10:09
Moved to this section.

Please read this thread HERE (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?33154-ALL-MEMBERS-PLEASE-READ!-New-method-of-posting-in-ViX-Support-Section-coming-soon!)

Leader
22-11-14, 23:47
Been working on the files and reprogrammed to get the front panel working.

update got the panel to work with up to 7 records using 2 display setting.
setting 1 which is the recording just 1 program. setting 2 for 2 or more recording at the same time.

just need to program the off's now then done.

Leader
23-11-14, 18:55
All done and programmed and compiled working great just how the box should do. going to test the box works on wakeup to record function. if all ok.I will try and get a zip file on here next couple of days.