leshay
27-09-14, 18:30
Hi

I have set up one using:

type: auto deepstandby
Only active in standby: Yes
Sleep delay: 010
Repeat type: repeated

will those settings go to deep standby 10 minutes after everytimeI put it into standby?

Looking at the log (info), all it shows is a series of:

2014-09-27 01-08 - activating state 1
2014-09-27 01-08 - prepare ok, waiting for begin
2014-09-27 01-18 - activating state 2
2014-09-27 01-18 - backoff: retry in 5 minutes
2014-09-27 01-23 - activating state 2
2014-09-27 01-23 - backoff: retry in 10 minutes ..........................

and so on. Should the log show actual occurrences of going into autostandby at all?

At night I have put the box into stand by and in the morning it is still in stand by. Am I misunderstanding the use of these Power Timers perhaps?

Joe_90
27-09-14, 21:45
Yes - what you've set looks exactly like mine, except my Quad Plus goes into deep standby after 10 minutes. I don't know why the timer is being backed off in your case, though. Do you have anything else running (e.g. a plugin) which might be checking network activity or maybe a WakeOnLan (WOL) set, whereby a network device is pinging your Quad+? Maybe show your system log (dmesg) for around the same time as you have put the box into standby.

edit - I recall you were having an issue whereby autotimers which were waking the box from deep standby to record a programme were not returning the box to deep standby afterwards. Did you ever sort that out fully? Autotimers should return the box to the state it was in before the autotimer runs. Maybe the same issue which was preventing the autotimer returning the box to deep standby is also affecting the power timer? You must have something running on the Quad Plus which is causing this.

leshay
27-09-14, 22:05
Yes - what you've set looks exactly like mine, except my Quad Plus goes into deep standby after 10 minutes. I don't know why the timer is being backed off in your case, though. Do you have anything else running (e.g. a plugin) which might be checking network activity or maybe a WakeOnLan (WOL) set, whereby a network device is pinging your Quad+? Maybe show your system log (dmesg) for around the same time as you have put the box into standby.

edit - I recall you were having an issue whereby autotimers which were waking the box from deep standby to record a programme were not returning the box to deep standby afterwards. Did you ever sort that out fully? Autotimers should return the box to the state it was in before the autotimer runs. Maybe the same issue which was preventing the autotimer returning the box to deep standby is also affecting the power timer? You must have something running on the Quad Plus which is causing this.

I have only 'started' Samba over and above a 'normal' installation. When I put the box into stand by ready for the Power Timer to take over, I also shut down everything else other than my BT Home Hub router which the box is plugged into.

Where do I find the log file you mention (dmesg) - I can't see anything in the Logs Manager at all.

As for the issue I had/have regarding the AutoTimers - I don't rightly know as I have been trying to get the Power Timer to work - the box has been in stand by mode each morning so I can't tell if it was the Power Timer or an Auto Timer that is doing it (or neither as that was how I left it at night)

leshay
27-09-14, 22:30

I have only 'started' Samba over and above a 'normal' installation. When I put the box into stand by ready for the Power Timer to take over, I also shut down everything else other than my BT Home Hub router which the box is plugged into.

Where do I find the log file you mention (dmesg) - I can't see anything in the Logs Manager at all.

As for the issue I had/have regarding the AutoTimers - I don't rightly know as I have been trying to get the Power Timer to work - the box has been in stand by mode each morning so I can't tell if it was the Power Timer or an Auto Timer that is doing it (or neither as that was how I left it at night while trying the Power Timer)

Joe_90
28-09-14, 01:10
You're confusing me, now. You're saying the box is in standby mode each morning and you can't tell if it's the Power Timer or Auto Timer that is doing it??? In post #1 you said that YOU are putting the box in standby mode. If you've put the box in standby, then that's how it's going to stay. The power timer does not seem to be able to change the box into deep standby. Do you have some "sharing" going on on your box through a softcam or have some pinholes (port forwarding) in your router that might be contributing to holding the box active? Share your debug log please.
The lower level linux log files are in /var/volatile/log and are named "messages" and "dmesg".

leshay
28-09-14, 10:02
Hi

Previous to trying out a Power Timer, I did put the box into deep standby at night and found it in stand by in the morning with no recording due.

Now I am trying a Power Timer, since it depends on the box being in stand by mode for 10 min before it will send it to deep stand by, then I leave it in stand by.

I am not aware of anything that would 'wake' the box from external sources or the like. I have not set up anything at all (other than Samba as I mentioned before). No port forwarding.

Attached 2 log files as requested.

leshay
30-09-14, 11:40
Hi
Just to say that the very exact same Power Timer is now working OK after upgrade to 041.

Joe_90
30-09-14, 13:47
Hi
Just to say that the very exact same Power Timer is now working OK after upgrade to 041.

:confused: I can only presume your box is haunted :eek: