PDA

View Full Version : Clones

heyho
26-09-14, 11:27
This isn't a thread endorsing clones but a general question on the subject.

I have a Vu+ Uno non cloned device as my main box. I am saying it isn't cloned as I bought it from a reputable dealer and I have also been inside the box. Now if I had got the same case but looked inside and noticed it wasn't right then I would be saying I had been ripped off and I had a clone i.e. the case says its was a Vu+ Uno but in fact it had inferior components inside.

But what about at the lower end of the market - the £50-£100 is awash with boxes. Now the Spiderbox 6000 (which I also have) isn't classed as a clone but what about the cloud ibox 2 plus (which I also have as well). What is that cloning? A MaxDigital XP1000 maybe? Now I know that to pick up a new Dreambox 500 then that is a clone as the actual company ceased production years ago but isn't something like a Cloud a receiver in its own right. And for something like the Cloud there are many images available which are updated on a regular occurance.

Larry-G
26-09-14, 11:37
ALL cloud Ibox and ferrari boxes for that matter are clones, by clone I mean a receiver that is made to fool the image into thinking it is something else so that it will work.

Walt
26-09-14, 13:08
Makes you wonder that if they've got the expertise to copy a box so well, maybe they could make their own receiver that could sell in the same price point.

BubbleBalls
26-09-14, 13:39
Then they'd have to penetrate a market awash with receivers. By taking a well known name they try to get a step up to sell their tripe. Too many people have bought them unaware, usually because they've not done enough homework, or some simply choose to risk the inferior, riskier clone.

Larry-G
26-09-14, 13:50
The primary reason they produce clones is to take advantage of already established names in the filed without having to do any research and development of their own. They are built cheap and they break regularly all without any warranty protection what so ever.

heyho
26-09-14, 14:17
I know what you are all saying but...

I've got an original Vu+ Uno. Great main box at a good price. End of.

But I've also got a Spiderbox 6000HD which is one of the more popular low end non clone boxes. The box definately has a lot going for it but after using the Enigma2 interface of my Vu it shows the lack of flexibility of a closed source o/s as in the Spiderbox especially the awful EPG.

So I was after a receiver for the bedroom. Just something to utilise a fixed 28.2 Astra (Sky) dish. Didn't want to venture into the Vu price range as its only an occasional watched receiver. Wanted that Enigma2 flexibility. I've taken a gamble and gone with a Cloud. Only had it a month so can't comment on long term reliability but for me its doing the job of my Vu but just a little slower (mainly on boot up and Crossepg) but at a third of a price.

Would I replace my main Vu box with a clone. No!!!! But as a cheap and cheerful 2nd or third box they have to be worth a punt.

And no I am not endorsing the clone market place but if Spiderbox can release something like the 6000HD at that price range and with that functionality surely someone else can come up with a low end cut price device that will take Enigma2 but that isn't a clone.

duoduo
26-09-14, 14:27
Did you have a look at the Octagon receiver? A pal of mine has one for his bedroom and highly recommends it for a lower price alternative to something like a vu

Rob van der Does
26-09-14, 16:59
Makes you wonder that if they've got the expertise to copy a box so well, maybe they could make their own receiver that could sell in the same price point.
If they were able to, they would do that for sure.
As it is now, they can be cheap because they have no development at all (i.e. no hardware design and no driver development; thye just steal everything from real manufacturers). And that saves say 95% of the cost involved.

intrigue
26-09-14, 21:06
I bought a cloud ibox 2 plus a week ago, fully aware it was a clone box. It came with OpenPli. Hated it. Put vix on a couple days after and loved it. Happy with this type of receiver I today bought a tm nano super 2t as it does exactly what I want, is more up to date than a vu duo and is well priced.

For me, a clone got me in to messing with enigma boxes - without a cheapo box I prob would never have taken the plunge! I guess they have their place for some things however one of the main gripes was the lack of support

judge
26-09-14, 22:56
however one of the main gripes was the lack of support

You won't get any support for the clone here either.

cactikid
26-09-14, 23:20
it always makes me wonder when people buy clone boxes as no research done and lack of support as said:confused:is it not better to research first and find out what support is all about:lifting::D:thumbsup:no orange juice used on the good original models.

Walt
26-09-14, 23:46
Clones generally are cheap for a reason. They're not safe.

Rob van der Does
27-09-14, 05:10
The main issue with clones is that they are clones; i.e. counterfeit, stolen goods.
I can't understand to buy such goods knowingly and willingly; you also buy stolen car-stereo, TV etc.?

intrigue
04-10-14, 00:16
You won't get any support for the clone here either.

Exactly - hence me buying the TM nano 3t :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heyho
06-10-14, 12:52
I was forced to laugh at a couple of fleabay listings for the Cloud ibox2. Within the listing there is the disclaimer 'this is an original box - be aware of cheap clones'. LOL

ronand
06-10-14, 12:59
I was forced to laugh at a couple of fleabay listings for the Cloud ibox2. Within the listing there is the disclaimer 'this is an original box - be aware of cheap clones'. LOL

I've never heard of anyone selling a fake product admitting it was fake - always quite the opposite.