PDA

View Full Version : Can't use favorites when changing between Tuners

bees
20-09-14, 13:43
Hi,

I am very new to this and still finding my feet. So apologies if this sounds a stupidly easy
problem to solve, but I would be grateful for any help.

My problem seems to be this.

I press FAV on the remote and get a list of groups for the channels, which is what you would expect I suppose.

But my box is set to use the cable tuner then sat then terrestrial.

So, if I press Satellite, and choose "Astra services", the tuner switches and I now get all the Astra channels.

The channels are in the "ALL" category and are not sorted into groups.

I then tried pressing "favorites" as I thought I had now switched tuners, and that would allow me to group the channels on the sat tuner, but the box switches back to the cable tuner.

So this is probably a bit long winded but what I am asking

Is there a way to select the cable tuner and view the channels list grouped into favorites (which can be done no problem)

Then switch to the sat tuner and also view the sat channel list grouped into favorites ?

Joe_90
20-09-14, 14:04
Presumably after you press FAV you get the option RED for all, GREEN for satellites (including cable/terrestrial), YELLOW for providers and BLUE for favourites. In your case favourites is empty?

If you want to go down the manual route (as I do because the autobouquetmaker doesn't work with Irish terrestrial channels), you could do the following:

If you are in your cable list of channels you can press the menu button and select "add service to bouquet" for any particular channel. Copy it to Favourites (TV). Repeat for a couple of channels as necessary.
Go to the satellite list of channels. Again, use the menu button and "add service to bouquet" as required. Copy to Favourites (TV).
Just try this for 10 or so channels. Now when you select favourites you can click on Favourites (TV) and you will see the channels you copied in. I do this for my box, copying in the 10 or so Irish terrestrial channels first, then adding the satellite channels so that I have a customised list in the order I prefer. You can do this for up to 100 channels and you can move channel positions around. It's a bit of a chore with the remote, but there are other solutions like Dreamboxedit which make the process a whole lot easier. If you are in UK and just use SKY and cable TV you can possibly use ABM (autobouquetsmaker) to create an automated list, but you might want to try a manual approach first, just to get the feel of creating bouquets.

bees
20-09-14, 14:16
Presumably after you press FAV you get the option RED for all, GREEN for satellites (including cable/terrestrial), YELLOW for providers and BLUE for favourites. In your case favourites is empty?

Yes to all the above but when I select favorites, the channels are all grouped but when I select one it switches back to the cable tuner.

Basically, I can select the sat tuner but only use the "ALL" category, so I have to keep my finger on the down button
to scroll to the channel I want to view, as soon as I press the blue favorites button i'm back on cable :confused:

Was wondering if it had something to do with the initial setting of the tuners, cable, sat then terrestrial

Joe_90
20-09-14, 14:43
We may be at cross purposes here. You don't actually select the tuner yourself. The box selects the tuner depending on the channel you choose. When you click on the favourites button on your remote you should get a list, with a folder icon on the left and the name of the bouquet. In my case it's Favourites(TV), Last Scanned, then SKY UK, Then Freesat(UK). See the attached screenshot:

These are what are called bouquets. In your case you may have scanned the Astra 28.2 satellite manually so it may be called Astra as you say. You should also have a cable scan. Once you select a particular bouquet the normal behaviour in ViX is to stay within that bouquet, so you navigate from top to bottom and back to top again. I have actually manually copied channels from my terrestrial provider and from Freesat into my Favourites (TV) bouquet as described in my previous post. I also used ABM (autobouquetsmaker) to generate the SKY England and Freesat UK bouquets and I copy channels from those bouquets selectively into my Favourites (TV) bouquet. The second screenshot shows what I get when I select Favourites (TV).

Until you actually create a Favourites bouquet, either manually as I have done, or automatically with ABM or AutoBouquets 28.2 or some downloaded channel list, you will continue to have to jump from a satellite to cable bouquet as needed. I'm suggesting the manual route for now just to get you started. If you are going to use ABM, then you don't have to scan in Astra - it's handled automatically.

You may well have a secondary issue here if you have duplicate channels on cable and satellite as if you have a service (say BBC1) on both, then the box may well select cable as you have preferred it in the settings. If you create your own bouquet, then you can copy the services you want.

abu baniaz
20-09-14, 15:07
As far as I am aware, I may well be wrong, they are switchable tuners and can only use the services as what you have configured them as. They dontt switch what mode they are in unless you change configuration in tuner config. Besides you have to change the connected cable.

Enigma2 will select swap what tuner to use. It is restricted to what you set the tuners as.

Perhaps it would be better to use ABM to create all your favourites for you. Add the prefix. You can also make your own bouquet with any service type in it. When you slect the chanenl it will just use the appropriate tuner for it. You may also wish to allow service type icons.

Screenshots attached showing the options you should have.

You can select the service by satellite, cable or terrestrial. Yes, no favourites in this mode. OPnce you pick teh mode, services will be in alphabetical mode for that satellite or tuner.
If you go to the all section, all the chanenls from their different satellites are grouped in alphabetical order. Yellow highlighted section shows service type icon (if enabled). Green highlighted section at bottom shows the satellite/mode.
Lastly the favourites as created by ABM. Should be self explanatory.

bees
20-09-14, 15:30
Right !!! Gotcha now.

I had an amiko mini combo and there was a button on the remote
which allowed you to choose your tuner, then you could select channels from that tuner.

You could also group sports, films, kids etc for each tuner.

Was very easy to navigate through.

Thought I may have been able to do something similar.

Will probably have a mess about with the manual method,
sounds like I can do it that way.

thanks for your help.

abu baniaz
20-09-14, 15:36
You could also group sports, films, kids etc for each tuner.

You can though. Use ABM. Add the prefix too. I have undleted the post above. I took too long to type, most of it has been covered by Tony

Joe_90
20-09-14, 16:27
@bees - I also came from a closed source tuner where you had to select the source. You'll find that enigma boxes are very (sometimes overly!) configureable, with many ways to achieve the same ends. For UK users ABM is an excellent automated tool for generating SKY/Freesat and Freeview/cable bouquets as @abu says.