PDA

View Full Version : AutoTimer will not set Timer

leshay
18-09-14, 14:31
Hi
I kept getting a 'conflict' message from an AutoTimer set up to record The One show. I have the Recordings settings Margin Before and After set to 0. I find it strange because: there is only one other timer set for that time slot, if I delete the AutoTimer and set a plain Timer it works fine. Deleting the manual Timer and trying a new AutoTimer, again it fails with a 'conflict' message.

OK, I had noticed VIX 037 was available, so I upgraded to that and restored settings. Same thing happened again (for that AutoTimer only - there are others which don't complain and have similar circumstances)

What else can I try/check?

Joe_90
18-09-14, 14:40
How are your tuners set? It would appear from the message that the system thinks you have only one tuner available at that time slot.

leshay
18-09-14, 14:45
How are your tuners set? It would appear from the message that the system thinks you have only one tuner available at that time slot.

Not sure what you mean by 'set'. I have 2 terrestrial tuners, what do I need to do to 'set' them? BTW there are a few other timers in the list already that overlap.

As a separate point: I have always assumed that scanning on one terrestrial tuner serves both tuners. I mean it isn't necessary to scan for channels on both? Since other Timers manage to overlap seems to suggest one scan is enough.

Joe_90
18-09-14, 14:55
Right - at least now we have established that you have two terrestrial/cable tuners and not two satellite tuners (which could be looped through internally or connected to different LNBs). Do you have a splitter in the cable which serves both tuners or is it an external loopthrough? Are you watching on a cable system or do you have a aerial (Freeview)? Can you record a BBC programme and an ITV programme simultaneously if watching on Freeview? I'm just trying to determine if both tuners are working at the same time. You don't need to scan on both tuners, one will be ok. If you are using ABM on terrestrial (and most cable) you don't need to do a conventional scan at all, but I've seen your other thread where you are having reception difficulties. Some of these problems can be caused by poor quality cabling or splitters.

leshay
18-09-14, 15:08
Hi
I am using single aerial into tuner C and a loop cable from C to D. I am using Freeview.

To absolutely confirm my answer, right now, I have set 7 simultaneous recordings and all are currently recording OK.

Also watching a recording at the same time.

Joe_90
18-09-14, 15:22
Ok thanks - both your tuners must be working ok then. If you look at your timers list (ordinary timers, not autotimers), is there a possibility that there is an overlap around the 7pm or 7.30 mark? The One Show is usually of 30 minutes duration from 7.00 - 7.30pm, but if I recall, it is 60 minutes long occasionally and when autotimer looks forward it may find a clash with another timer. Conversely there may be another autotimer set for a show which moves around - like Corrie which is usually 7.30 but occasionally moves to a 7.00 slot when the football is on midweek?

I had an issue where I was setting an autotimer for Home and Away (for the missus of course!) on Channel 5 on Freesat, but for some reason it was setting timers for the Irish Freeview service instead. I ended up deleting all autotimers and setting up from scratch. It's generally bulletproof, though. I find it almost as good as Series Link on a genuine Freesat receiver.

leshay
18-09-14, 15:31
Hi
I had checked the Timer list and there was only the one overlap (start same time - end same time) - I might have to delete everything and redo as you say, but not a very good thing to have to do.

BTW, do you know the location and file names of the various data files such as Timers AutoTimers etc on the GigaBlue?

Joe_90
18-09-14, 16:39
The timers and autotimers etc are just xml files and can be found in /etc/enigma2 if you want to view or edit them directly. I edited my autotimer for Formula 1 manually to have it span BBC1 and BBC2 and record the practices etc on Friday, Saturday. It would be advisable to make a settings backup before doing any major hacking.

By the way, an overlap would be any common recording time over events spanning more than two tuners, not just same start time or end time.

leshay
18-09-14, 17:30
Hi

Yes, I know about overlapping as partial time slots etc - it was just that in the case I mentioned, the overlap was the whole slot.

Thanks for the pointer to the location.

I had previously learned the hard way about keeping backups :mad:

There is something odd going on with AutoTimers I think.

As a trial I set a new AutoTimer for the Paul O'Grady Dog show and nothing showed up on the EPG for it, yet a timer did appear in the Timer list for the show. When I looked in the Sutotimer.xml file, all the autotimers listed had a 'serviceref' *except* the Paul O'Grady one! Wonder if that has something to do with the lack of EPG icons for it? Further investigation needed I think. Maybe I should start a new thread for this.

Example excerpts:

</timer><timer name="Paul O'Grady: For the Love of Dogs" match="Paul O'Grady: For the Love of Dogs" enabled="yes" avoidDuplicateDescription="3" overrideAlternatives="1">
</timer>

</timer><timer name="Daily Politics" match="Daily Politics" enabled="yes" avoidDuplicateDescription="3" overrideAlternatives="1"><serviceref>1:0:19:4440:40BC:233A:EEEE0000:0:0:0:</serviceref><!-- BBC TWO HD --></timer>

duoduo
18-09-14, 20:12
Having the same problem with it too, appears just recording soaps on a Thursday night and Monday night. Every other autotimer works fine just Eastenders Thursday and Coronation Street Mondays. They show in the autotimer menu but dont record also they dont show as setup to record in the main Epg menu. I have updated to vix 37 this evening but made no difference, the problem started about 4/5 weeks ago..

leshay
18-09-14, 20:54
Hi

Another strange one. The Autotimer I set for the Paul O'Grady dog show has been recorded, *but* it was recorded from a channel not shown in my EPG. On my EPG, I set the Autotimer from STV HD (I had swapped HD for SD in WebIF), and the timer was set and recorded from STV (SD version) - that seems to be why it didn't show in the EPG as I didn't have that channel in the EPG. This *may* not be a bad thing, as a clash could possibly be resolved it (say) a +1 channel was found and recorded from even though it wasn't shown on the EPG (assuming this is not a one off case, but it does need further thought)

Joe_90
18-09-14, 23:08
Ok - this sounds like my issue with trying to record Home and Away from CH5 satellite which resulted in a terrestrial timer being set. I don't know the internal search strategies that autotimer uses to match a timer setting, but it seems odd if you selected STV HD as the source in the EPG that it would have selected STV SD to record from. It may be that autotimer is following the links to similar EPG entries and using those to minimise clashes. I'll see if I can get someone more familiar with the internal workings of autotimer on the case:confused:

nsw9154
18-09-14, 23:23
I can not seem to get the autotimer to work at all just tried 5th gear on Discovery Shed it repests quit often but the autotimer found 0 :confused:

Joe_90
18-09-14, 23:46
I can not seem to get the autotimer to work at all just tried 5th gear on Discovery Shed it repests quit often but the autotimer found 0 :confused:

Ok nsw9154 - try typing that again :)
Are you saying that you selected autotimer on an EPG entry on Discovery Shed or did you type "5th gear" (instead of 5th Gear)? Autotimer is case-sensitive.

nsw9154
18-09-14, 23:51
sorry tony I should have said that I set it from the EPG, and that should have spelt (repeats) ;)

I think I have found out what I am doing wrong the selected recording dose not show up in the EPG so presumably it has not worked so I just left it at that
I just went in tho the Autotimer menue and their it is with a ticked box and a Red clock face si I presume that I should have pressed the Green Button for it to set

just pressed the Green Buton to Save and Found a total of 0 events -- ah well back to manual recording

Larry-G
19-09-14, 18:07
The timers and autotimers etc are just xml files and can be found in /etc/enigma2 if you want to view or edit them directly. I edited my autotimer for Formula 1 manually to have it span BBC1 and BBC2 and record the practices etc on Friday, Saturday. It would be advisable to make a settings backup before doing any major hacking.

By the way, an overlap would be any common recording time over events spanning more than two tuners, not just same start time or end time.
It's also advisable to put enigma to sleep via a telnet session before editing live files such as timers. They are very prone to corruption if edited while enigma is live.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

leshay
19-09-14, 18:39
It's also advisable to put enigma to sleep via a telnet session before editing live files such as timers. They are very prone to corruption if edited while enigma is live.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi

Can you elaborate on how to set up and use telnet please.

I have had the need to delete all auto timers and timers, but they always seem to get recreated. (I have even tried deleting timers and auto timers files via Samba, but they just get recreated).

duoduo
19-09-14, 19:48
Make sure you press green to save once you have deleted the autotimers in the autotimer menu.

I have noticed also this evening that some autotimers that worked last week without me changing anything arent showing as setup on the Epg. The only thing I have done this week is update from 034 to 037. Does anyone know if anything has been changed re autotimers over the last month or if anything has been built into recent vix updates that could effect autotimers?

rossi2000
19-09-14, 20:12
yes autotimer has been messed around with over the past few weeks, nothing do with vix mind, other groups have been messing with it.
i thought it was back to the state it was before all the messing.

leshay
19-09-14, 21:52
Hi
So is there anywhere that provides a change log for each VIX release? It would be nice to know before hand what might have been altered or worked on.

leshay
19-09-14, 21:56
Make sure you press green to save once you have deleted the autotimers in the autotimer menu.

I have noticed also this evening that some autotimers that worked last week without me changing anything arent showing as setup on the Epg. The only thing I have done this week is update from 034 to 037. Does anyone know if anything has been changed re autotimers over the last month or if anything has been built into recent vix updates that could effect autotimers?

Hi

I *think* I did - but there again can't be sure - thanks for the reminder. I am more used to most 'normal' functions to be done immediately and not needing so much confirmation.

rossi2000
19-09-14, 22:40
yes check the shoutbox for phoenixs msgs, there links to the changelogs.

judge
20-09-14, 00:25
Hi
So is there anywhere that provides a change log for each VIX release? It would be nice to know before hand what might have been altered or worked on.

Menu -> Setup -> Software update -> View the changes or look at the pheonix change log posts.
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?38399-OpenViX-Apollo-Updates-and-Changelogs&p=312868#post312868
Not sure how it could be made any easier?

leshay
20-09-14, 01:56
Menu -> Setup -> Software update -> View the changes or look at the pheonix change log posts.
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?38399-OpenViX-Apollo-Updates-and-Changelogs&p=312868#post312868
Not sure how it could be made any easier?

When I use that Menu path, all I get is a pause while it checks, and then 'Nothing to update' message - I assume that is because I already have the latest version (037).

birdman
20-09-14, 02:22
When I use that Menu path, all I get is a pause while it checks, and then 'Nothing to update' message - I assume that is because I already have the latest version (037).

Main Menu -> Information -> About - [Info button]

will list the Changelog for what you are currently running.

leshay
20-09-14, 03:29
Hi
Thanks Birdman, I had missed the 'info' icon/button shown.

duoduo
18-10-14, 08:29
Hi Devs, is there an update on autotimer issues being fixed as I'm still experiencing problems with the odd programmes.

Stanman
18-10-14, 08:38
Which timers?

Some epg listing now have "new" before them.

I have anout 80 AT and noy seen snytjinh awry

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

duoduo
18-10-14, 10:46
Stanman your spelling is awful lol.. Ok Coronation Street (only Monday works) , Eastenders (only Friday works) not for me for the Mrs she goes ballistic when one doesn't record. They show in autotimer list but just don't record and there is no symbol next to the programmes in Epg.

Stanman
18-10-14, 11:14
In the AT timer settings have you got show on conflict enabled?
Have you tried deleting the AT and re adding it.

Can you post up screen shot of your AT settings.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

duoduo
18-10-14, 13:28
Hi stanman, yes deleted and retried many times but doesn't help. Tried the show on conflict option and then tried but still not working. Here are some screenshots :

Thank for your help.

birdman
18-10-14, 18:12
Ok Coronation Street (only Monday works) , Eastenders (only Friday works)...Do you have a filter set for day-of-the-week?
By default Auto Timers are only set for the day of the original recording used.

duoduo
18-10-14, 19:28
No haven't set a filter ever and never had any issues until the last fresh flash was required not sure on the ViX update version. I always have just gone into Epg found the programme I want to record and pressed blue for autotimer yet on some programmes (on certain days) now it just doesnt record.

Andy_Hazza
18-10-14, 19:45
I'm guessing what you have done is set AT on a Friday only for EastEnders and you have set AT for Coronation Street on a Monday only. What you need to do is delete these existing timers and then start again. Find Coronation Street in your epg, say Monday, ITV HD, locate the first one which is at 7:30pm, Blue Button, AND MAKE SURE YOU UNTICK 'Only on Weekday: Monday' and then Green Button and Green Button again. Do the same for EastEnders. :thumbsup:

birdman
19-10-14, 00:11
What you need to do is delete these existing timers and then start again. No you don't. You just edit the AutoTimer and remove the filter (which is the Yellow button when editing it).
As I said, if you set an AutoTimer from an EPG entry then it is set to only record on that DOW unless you uncheck the option.

duoduo
19-10-14, 07:58
Thanks guys collectively (Andy Hazza & Birdman) you have resolved my issue. Something must have changed that I want aware of because I never use to untick only record on a certain day but that was what fixed my issue. I have gone back into Epg and now everyday that these soaps are on now shows the symbol that it will record, happy Mrs now so cheers..

Andy_Hazza
19-10-14, 12:40
Thanks guys collectively (Andy Hazza & Birdman) you have resolved my issue. Something must have changed that I want aware of because I never use to untick only record on a certain day but that was what fixed my issue. I have gone back into Epg and now everyday that these soaps are on now shows the symbol that it will record, happy Mrs now so cheers..

Glad you got it sorted buddy. :thumbsup: