PDA

View Full Version : GI LX3 or Gigablue quad+ or something else?

onomatopoeia
16-09-14, 15:47
Hi all, new here and new to the world of "non-Sky" satellites.

I currently have a dish pointing at 28.2E connected to my sky box and a motorised setup I was given (TM-2600 and 90cm dish) which I managed after much faffing(!) to get lined up so it can find various satellites from 28.2E to 30W and is working OK with a TM-3000D. My initial interest was to receive RAI on 13E as I'm learning Italian, which works, but I can't get the RAI channels listed on various sites as being broadcast on 5W (I get other channels from there and the signal strength and quality is reported at over 90%). I suspect I'm still missing some understanding somewhere.

What I'd like to do is connect the two spare feeds from the 'sky' dish and two from the motorised dish to something that can record from them and get HD channels. The two mentioned in the topic title look like likely contenders as they can take four inputs with the plug in tuner modules and are around the sort of money I was considering spending. What I'm interested in is their relative merits, or if there's anything else I should be considering in that price range? I don't mind paying more if something is a big step up in quality or functionality. It's rather difficult to tell from reading pages on various suppliers' websites as they seem to claim to do much the same thing.

Supplementary question would be can both take 3.5" SATA drives internally (I have plenty of those of various capacities kicking around)? I imagine I'll be asking about the benefits of the different images at some point, but want to sort out the hardware first.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

shuggy
16-09-14, 15:59
I have lx3 and think its great box so far, mines has 4 tuners and 3.5 inch hard drive don't know about gigablue quad but lx3 is worth buying

thor1
16-09-14, 16:00
plus 1 for LX3

ronand
16-09-14, 16:36
Forget about the RAI channels on 5W - no hobby receiver can receive them except for maybe an expensive PC tuner.