PDA

View Full Version : [ABM-DVB-T/T2] Timeout for Tuner Lock with DVB-T Dual Tuner USB Stick

pembo
06-09-14, 23:14
I've got a dual tuner USB DVB-T stick plugged into my VU+ Duo 2.
I've manually scanned the freeview (DVB-T) channels and they all work fine. I've even recorded one freeview channel whilst watching another to test both tuners.

I thought I'd try to use ABM for the freeview list, however after adding the provider, when I run, I can see ABM lock on Tuner D (secondary tuner of the DVB-T stick) but then after a period, it pops up with the timeout for tuner lock error.

There's only one coax input on the DVB-T stick - both tuners use, and both work fine following the manual scan.

I can live with a manually built bouquet, but would love to get ABM to sort it :)
Any ideas?

abu baniaz
06-09-14, 23:24
ABM will use last of available tuners. Plug cable in second input.

pembo
06-09-14, 23:29
Thanks for replying.
on the DVB-T stick there is only one input, which covers both tuners, and both tuners work on a manual scan/test.

Is there somewhere on the box I can find a more detailed log of ABM to see whats going on?

pembo
09-09-14, 22:53
Does anyone else have a dual DVB-S along with a dual DVB-T USB device (so 4 tuners A,B,C,D) and has this working with ABM?

abu baniaz
10-09-14, 01:23
I know this does not help your issue, but just tested the following on an LX3. 2 embedded sat tuners and two hybrid tuners. I set both hybrid to dvbt and ABM worked fine.

Can you upload your logs please?
To enable debug logs:
Menu > Setup > System> Logs > Enable debug logs >set this to yes.
You must restart for changes to take effect. Repeat your ABM process and then upload logs.
Thanks.

Additionally
Can you also confirm that you have selected the correct transmitter for your location?
Separate from above log request. Are you able to disable tuners c/d one at a time and test please? Thanks

pembo
10-09-14, 07:51
I know this does not help your issue, but just tested the following on an LX3. 2 embedded sat tuners and two hybrid tuners. I set both hybrid to dvbt and ABM worked fine.

Can you upload your logs please?
To enable debug logs:
Menu > Setup > System> Logs > Enable debug logs >set this to yes.
You must restart for changes to take effect. Repeat your ABM process and then upload logs.
Thanks.

Additionally
Can you also confirm that you have selected the correct transmitter for your location?
Separate from above log request. Are you able to disable tuners c/d one at a time and test please? Thanks

Tried a couple of different locations, but am pretty confident I've got the right one - there's only a couple in the area.
Tried disabling both C & D but no difference.

Attached the log from the DVB-T tuner downwards (NIM3) though it doesn't give many clues.
I might try and extend the timeout a little to see if it makes any difference.

pembo
14-09-14, 08:00
Abu,

Any thoughts on this before I contemplate a different DVB-T/T2 device and put this back into my PC?
Is there a debug build of ABM or any log level I can change that might give out more information as the log is pretty sparse and doesn't (at least for me) give much of a clue!

Thanks

abu baniaz
14-09-14, 12:29
I'll alert Peter to the thread and he may be able to suggest something. ABM interacts at driver level with tuners, not via Enigma 2.

Try the following for now. Disable tuner A and B. Set tuner D as loop through to tuner C and see if that fares better.

Peterj
15-09-14, 08:37
Very strange. ABM uses tuner D, as it should be (the last dvb-t tuner).
Are you sure you pick the correct provider?
Otherwise I have no idea why it is acting like this.

pembo
15-09-14, 22:00
I'm pretty sure I am.

Waltham is the main mast which I believe I'm pointing at, Nottingham/Derby are the other alternative but their range is considerably smaller and I'm out of their areas.
I get the Notts TV channel, which points to Waltham or Nottingham also as it's only broadcast from those 2 transmitters

(http://www.nottstv.com/faq)

Depending on where you live, there are several measures you could explore. These include:

- Checking where your TV receives its signal from. Notts TV is currently being broadcast via the Waltham and Nottingham transmitters.

I've tried both of these transmitters multiple times, both which give the same issue.

Looking at the provider it lists Waltham as:

<configuration key="waltham" frequency="698000000" inversion="0" modulation="4" system="1" bandwidth="8000000" code_rate_hp="5" code_rate_lp="5" transmission_mode="6" guard_interval="5" hierarchy="4">Waltham</configuration>

According to wikipedia this is the Frequencies list for Waltham (matches up with ukfree):

Digital television
Frequency UHF kW Operator System
538.000 MHz 29 25 SDN DVB-T
698.000 MHz 49 50 BBC A [d 1] DVB-T
737.833 MHz 54- 50 Digital 3&4 DVB-T
754.000 MHz 56 25 Arqiva A DVB-T
762.000 MHz 57 25 Arqiva B DVB-T
770.000 MHz 58 50 BBC B DVB-T2

Does this look right, or should the provider freq be 53800000?
I'm not sure I really understand the providers XML format ;)

abu baniaz
15-09-14, 22:09
The xml file for ABM (T) has been set to use the frequncy that BBC1 SD is on.

The issue is that it is not getting a lock with your tuner although your tuner is fine. WHat frequency is the BBC1 that you manually scanned on?
Did you try setting tuner D = loop through to tuner C?

pembo
15-09-14, 22:35
I'm working away this week so haven't had the chance to test this yet but will do - I'll confirm the frequency BBC1 is on as well.
I've got access to the box through SSH if I can grab the frequency somewhere from it?

abu baniaz
15-09-14, 22:43
If you can access the webif, you can select channel and press OK again to open second info bar. You can then take a screenshot.

You may wish to check which transmitter is local to you using this site.

http://www.ukfree.tv/transmitters.php

pembo
16-09-14, 06:19
If you can access the webif, you can select channel and press OK again to open second info bar. You can then take a screenshot.

You may wish to check which transmitter is local to you using this site.

http://www.ukfree.tv/transmitters.php

Thanks - didn't think about doing it that way :)

DVB-T
697MHz 8MHz
QAM64-1/2-2/3
(currently on Tuner C)

So 697MHz sounds a little odd if all the data shows 698MHz? :confused:

Peterj
16-09-14, 12:01
Activate the debug log.
restart E2.
Tune to BBC1, then look at the debug log, you should see something like.

bandwidth: 8000000
code_rate_lp: 5
code_rate_hp: 5
constellation: 3
transmission_mode: 1
guard_interval: 0
hierarchy_information: 0
inversion: 0
system: 0
frequency: 697999998
(constellation = modulation)
That should be the values in the xml.
Round frequency to nearest Mhz

pembo
16-09-14, 17:55
bandwidth: 8000000
code_rate_lp: 0
code_rate_hp: 1
constellation: 2
transmission_mode: 1
guard_interval: 0
hierarchy_information: 0
inversion: 0
system: 0
frequency: 697999999

Thanks Peter ... few different values there, mainly:

code_rate_lp: 0
code_rate_hp: 1
constellation: 2

I guess I should try to update the XML when I'm back home and give this a shot!

abu baniaz
16-09-14, 18:03
Have you confirmed which transmitter is nearest to you using that site?
If you can test by editing those details in the xml, the file can be edited for the benefit of others near you.

pembo
16-09-14, 21:50
Have you confirmed which transmitter is nearest to you using that site?
If you can test by editing those details in the xml, the file can be edited for the benefit of others near you.

Abu - I'll give it a test at the weekend and report back so you can change/update based on my findings.

Thanks to both you and Peter for pushing forward with this... really is most appreciated.

pembo
17-09-14, 22:42
Tested this remotely tonight - was a little painful following the 'grab screenshot' but...

<configuration key="waltham" frequency="698000000" inversion="0" modulation="2" system="0" bandwidth="8000000" code_rate_hp="1" code_rate_lp="0" transmission_mode="1" guard_interval="0" hierarchy="0">Waltham</configuration>

Actually works :D

It now locks the tuner and creates the bouquet

[AutoBouquetsMaker] Search NIM
opening frontend 3
[AutoBouquetsMaker] Nim found on slot id 3
allocate demux
(3)tune
OURSTATE: tuning
[SEC] startTuneTimeout 5000
[SEC] setVoltage 0
[SEC] setFrontend 1
setting frontend 3
(3)fe event: status 0, inversion off, m_tuning 1
[AutoBouquetsMaker] TUNING
(3)fe event: status 1f, inversion off, m_tuning 2
OURSTATE: ok
[AutoBouquetsMaker] ACQUIRING TSID/ONID
[Manager] Reading terrestrial_freeview_GB (waltham)...
[DvbScanner] Adapter 0
[DvbScanner] Demuxer 1
[DvbScanner] Frontend 3
[DvbScanner] DVBType dvbt
[DvbScanner] NIT pid: 0x10
[DvbScanner] NIT current table id: 0x40
[DvbScanner] NIT other table id: 0x0
[DvbScanner] SDT pid: 0x11
[DvbScanner] SDT current table id: 0x42
[DvbScanner] SDT other table id: 0x46
[DvbScanner] Reading transponders...
[DvbScanner] demuxer_device /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux1
[DvbScanner] nit_pid 16
[DvbScanner] nit_current_table_id 64
[DvbScanner] mask 255
[DvbScanner] frontend 3
main thread is non-idle! display spinner!
[DvbScanner] Scan complete, netid: None
[DvbScanner] Added/Updated 6 transponders with network_id = 0x3023 and network_id = 0x-1
[DvbScanner] Reading services...
[DvbScanner] Read 142 services
[DvbScanner] 142 valid services
[Manager] Done

Thanks Abu/Peter :)
I guess that needs pushing into the xml file in the source tree.
It's a bit strange that waltham would be an odd one out - I guess others could be wrong but no-one has noticed as not many are using the STB in this way?

abu baniaz
17-09-14, 23:15
Using the web remote takes screen shots automtaically. Unfortunately unlike satellite, for Terrestrial/Cable you have to be in area to test.

Before we commit changes, could you test following line please. I suspect it was just the sytem value that needed changing so that it is T tuner not T2. I'm pretty sure all other values are automatic.

<configuration key="waltham" frequency="698000000" inversion="0" modulation="3" system="0" bandwidth="8000000" code_rate_hp="5" code_rate_lp="5" transmission_mode="2" guard_interval="5" hierarchy="4">Waltham</configuration>

Thanks in advance.

judge
17-09-14, 23:33
Make & model of USB tuner stick would also be handy, sorry if i've missed it in the thread?

pembo
18-09-14, 06:32
I sense a problem here then :)

My DVB stick is only DVB-T and not DVB-T/T2 - it's a Kworld UB499-2T T09(IT9137
There are quite a few out there that don't do T2.

If I understand your point correctly Abu - it's because it's trying to use T2 and thats why it doesn't work (I'll try and test your changed line later to confirm)
The tuner config only shows DVB-T

pembo
21-09-14, 08:31
Using the web remote takes screen shots automtaically. Unfortunately unlike satellite, for Terrestrial/Cable you have to be in area to test.

Before we commit changes, could you test following line please. I suspect it was just the sytem value that needed changing so that it is T tuner not T2. I'm pretty sure all other values are automatic.

<configuration key="waltham" frequency="698000000" inversion="0" modulation="3" system="0" bandwidth="8000000" code_rate_hp="5" code_rate_lp="5" transmission_mode="2" guard_interval="5" hierarchy="4">Waltham</configuration>

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Abu, I tried this, and sure enough, it works!

I guess this implies a bit of an issue though in that the system value needs to be auto detected based on the type of tuner?
e.g. mine show DVB-T only?

It the provider was committed in version control like that, would this then mean that any else on the Waltham transmitter would miss out on the DVB-T2 (i.e. HD channels) being available?

abu baniaz
21-09-14, 11:48
Thank you for asssiting.

T2 tuners are backward compatible, so we will change to "0".