PDA

View Full Version : No supplied 2.5" HDD Caddy

Gavil
05-09-14, 04:25
I know it's not exactly the most expensive linux box on the market at the moment, but £300 is not exactly cheap for a sat box that does not supply a 2.5" HDD Caddy. The advert does state " there is the option to internally mount a 2.5" or 3.5" HDD " . Did anyone else get a supplied 2.5" caddy?

I've had to fashion one out of heat resistant plastic as a temporary solution.

Sicilian
05-09-14, 05:57
It's doesn't come with a 2.5" caddy, you just screw 2.5" to one side of the cradle ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsw9154
05-09-14, 10:19
I purchased my own caddy only cost about £3.50 from Fleebay but like Sicilian says just screw it to the side it wont do any damage if you look at the pic when you slide it down it will be supported by the bottom rail

Gavil
05-09-14, 12:25
Ok thanks. attaching a 2.5" drive to one side of the 3.5" fixed caddy will give it abit more airflow anyway.

Gavil
05-09-14, 13:04

I didn't like just screwing it to the side of the caddy because the drive floats mid air with the drive i have. The picture was my solution, it is a spare 2.5" caddy from my self build pc ( which is probably heat proof to an extent as it's meant for a pc ). All i have done is cut the two guide rails off and it fit's perfect. It also has the benefit of inserts cut out underneath the drive to help cooling. Although i dont think there will be that much heat in that area anyway.

nsw9154
05-09-14, 13:19
That should work fine mate and like you I did not fancy just fixing it to the side even though it would work :)
I have found that the most Heat is Generated from the 2 plug in Tuners they seem to get really Hot but I have checked them with a Inferred Digital Thermometer and they read about 40c to a max of 48c in the warm weather which is nothing to worry about my Duo2 runs at about 30c unlike the Gigablue Quads without any fan seem to run in the 60's